1-2-3 Promotion available to World with exception of UK

tine-tine

Great! You had me a bit worried there :eek: :D

We booked last May so it will take more than this fiasco of a Celebrity PR disaster to put us off our holiday ;) Off to research the next excursion ---

Anyway, we've already booked the flights so there isn't a lot we could do now

We booked last May so it will take more than this fiasco of a Celebrity PR disaster to put us off our holiday ;) Off to research the next excursion ---

Anyway, we've already booked the flights so there isn't a lot we could do now

That's the spirit - keep calm and carry on :D

We are doing 3 B2Bs on the Constellation in June from Amsterdam. We booked in August last year.

Typical of the disdain with which the cruise lines treat Australians and Brits, our final payment date is not the date at which penalties kick in. Oh no, 151 days out from the cruise penalties kick in and you lose your deposit if you cancel.

Last year we booked the Solstice 2B2 in the US but we thought the price was reasonable when we booked this one so we went with Celebrity Australia.

NEVER AGAIN!! Apart from this discrimination, their lack of customer service and consideration for shareholders is appalling.

I have phoned and had to leave a message (what a surprise he was not available) for the Operations Manager, Reservations asking him to call me. This was last Wednesday and of course he has not rung. I then wrote an email on Thursday night outlining my concerns.

The result: yes, a big fat nothing. Not even bothered to reply.

Last night I sent a copy of my original email with an explanation to Celebrity US.

Do you think I should hold my breath waiting for an answer???

As a shareholder we do receive OBC but to my disgust the OBC the company is offering on the 123 Promotion is even more than they are offering shareholders for a 12 day cruise.

Just what a company must love - unhappy customers - yet do they care; it certainly appears not.

Beryl

I was quite happy with the customer service at Celebrity AU.

Yes, it did take some weeks to get a reply. But it was ultimately dealt with with less hassle than when I had an issue with Celebrity US, which took much more communication, and much more repetition and waiting time to get the issue resolved.

So thumbs up to Celebrity AU customer service!

We are doing 3 B2Bs on the Constellation in June from Amsterdam. We booked in August last year.

Typical of the disdain with which the cruise lines treat Australians and Brits, our final payment date is not the date at which penalties kick in. Oh no, 151 days out from the cruise penalties kick in and you lose your deposit if you cancel.

Last year we booked the Solstice 2B2 in the US but we thought the price was reasonable when we booked this one so we went with Celebrity Australia.

NEVER AGAIN!! Apart from this discrimination, their lack of customer service and consideration for shareholders is appalling.

I have phoned and had to leave a message (what a surprise he was not available) for the Operations Manager, Reservations asking him to call me. This was last Wednesday and of course he has not rung. I then wrote an email on Thursday night outlining my concerns.

The result: yes, a big fat nothing. Not even bothered to reply.

Last night I sent a copy of my original email with an explanation to Celebrity US.

Do you think I should hold my breath waiting for an answer???

As a shareholder we do receive OBC but to my disgust the OBC the company is offering on the 123 Promotion is even more than they are offering shareholders for a 12 day cruise.

Just what a company must love - unhappy customers - yet do they care; it certainly appears not.

Beryl

Sorry to hear of your mistreatment by X. I can only suggest that you give them time, They resolved my issue quite well, it just took two weeks.:D

As US cruisers are getting their gratuities included, one option for UK clients is to remove their tips and cite the unfair offer as the reason. Parity might then be restored.

Sorry but that suggestion is downright cruel IMHO. You are removing hard earned cash from the individual crew members who do so much to make your cruise enjoyable. Managers will take the view you had service issues with the individuals and may further punish them.

I suggest if you continue to be aggrieved all you can do is

a Write to Miami head office and/or

b Cancel and book on another line

c Put up, put this one down to experience and go and enjoy this booking but alter you allegience for the future

d Put up and accept the world is not a level playing field

Sorry but that suggestion is downright cruel IMHO. You are removing hard earned cash from the individual crew members who do so much to make your cruise enjoyable. Managers will take the view you had service issues with the individuals and may further punish them.

c Put up, put this one down to experience and go and enjoy this booking but alter you allegience for the future

YARP, nuff said.:D

If I chose this course of action, I wouldn't just remove them, I'd explain to the purser exactly why I was doing it.

Who's to know that when a cruise-line states, 'Gratuities paid' in a promotion, that this money actually gets to the staff?

It is Celebrity's problem, not mine or yours. They have chosen to charge us Brits more money, possibly as many Brits are alleged to remove or reduce their tips.

Interestingly, Seabourn have an excellent offer available for April, when I expect to cruise, so I may take up your suggestion and go elsewhere.

I certainly won't be cruising from Southampton, although it is very convenient, as the weather and sea state up and down to the 'Med' is very unpredictable. I prefer to fly to the warm sun and cruise from there.

Therefore, my above post is a suggestion, which I am convinced many already do, but not something I'll personally be doing.

The crew do get the tips and the only person who looses when people see fit to remove tips are the actual staff and their families, no one else

But if that kind of action sits comfortably with your conscience that is your decision. I personally could not enjoy a cruise knowing I had stabbed the hard working crew in the back because I have an issue with the policies of the cruiseline

The crew do get the tips and the only person who looses when people see fit to remove tips are the actual staff and their families, no one else

But if that kind of action sits comfortably with your conscience that is your decision. I personally could not enjoy a cruise knowing I had stabbed the hard working crew in the back because I have an issue with the policies of the cruiseline

Do you know this as fact or are you saying this because everyone believes it to be the case?

If the crew do get these tips, how is it paid?

It would be really good if we could get some official input from Celebrity, instead of customer speculation or belief.

The crew get the tips. Fact. They rely on tips. Fact. If you stiff them then you are responsible for a reduction in their wages. Fact. It has been discussed so many times on this board. Sorry, but asking for clarification is just an excuse. If you aren't going to tip them then that is of course your choice, but don't be surprised if posting that on a public message board invokes negative responses.

Phil

CC is a great resource for cruisers, but I think in this case it is inadvertently causing dissatisfaction.

There is nothing unusual about companies charging different prices or running different promotions in different countries. Even within the UK, some stores charge different prices for the same goods in the north and the south of the country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141536/It-IS-cheaper-North-Price-divide-pub-food-film-tickets.html#axzz2K7K2XG9u

To me, it seems the problem is that UK cruisers are reading detailed accounts of the deals US cruisers are getting and, because we are all posting on the same boards, the price differences are brought home to them in a way that does not happen with most other products.

We Brits have to bear in mind that CC is a US-based website and we are living in a different country which is subject to different market forces and different regulations, so price differences are going to be a fact of life. Constantly making comparisons with prices and deals available in other countries will just make you unhappy and cruising is something that should enhance your life,:) not make you feel dissatisfied.

Do you know this as fact or are you saying this because everyone believes it to be the case?

If the crew do get these tips, how is it paid?

It would be really good if we could get some official input from Celebrity, instead of customer speculation or belief.

I am saying it as fact, I would not state things on these boards because everyone believes it, I post based on sound evidence I have gathered myself.

It is paid to the crew just before the end of the cruise which is why there is a cut off date for changes they get a printout naming who has tipped them and who has not and if there were a lot who had removed tips they have to meet with their bosses to discuss reasons (but if the reason is unfair like a guest taking it out on them because they do not agree with a policy) they do not get it made up by the cruiseline

There has in the past been confirmation by the CEO during Q and A sessions that the crew do receive all the tips

CC is a great resource for cruisers, but I think in this case it is inadvertently causing dissatisfaction.

There is nothing unusual about companies charging different prices or running different promotions in different countries. Even within the UK, some stores charge different prices for the same goods in the north and the south of the country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141536/It-IS-cheaper-North-Price-divide-pub-food-film-tickets.html#axzz2K7K2XG9u

To me, it seems the problem is that UK cruisers are reading detailed accounts of the deals US cruisers are getting and, because we are all posting on the same boards, the price differences are brought home to them in a way that does not happen with most other products.

We Brits have to bear in mind that CC is a US-based website and we are living in a different country which is subject to different market forces and different regulations, so price differences are going to be a fact of life. Constantly making comparisons with prices and deals available in other countries will just make you unhappy and cruising is something that should enhance your life,:) not make you feel dissatisfied.

Spot on, great post

My thoughts exactly! Well said.

As for removing tips to get back at Celebrity, IMO that is probably one of the reasons the 123 offer is exempt from the UK in the first place.

The crew get the tips. Fact. They rely on tips. Fact. If you stiff them then you are responsible for a reduction in their wages. Fact. It has been discussed so many times on this board. Sorry, but asking for clarification is just an excuse. If you aren't going to tip them then that is of course your choice, but don't be surprised if posting that on a public message board invokes negative responses.

Phil

I'm not worried or surprised by the responses. I am trying to provoke debate. I fully understand the crew's reliance on tips and have never removed them, but what is not clear and I'm not sure how best it can be clarified, is whether if a cruise-line gives 'free' gratuities as a promotion, the crew get all that is due to them. How would we know, as they are not likely to risk their jobs by speaking out!

OK on that point

1. Not everyone on a cruise is on free tips so the staff will still be getting printouts

2. Based on previous cruises where I have been on where some have had free tips the crew see no difference at their end, in fact it is in some ways better for them as they have a guarantee of money from some cabins.

3. And most importantly, why would the cruiseline effectively reduce the take home pay of their staff because they are running a special offer. The cruise line want to keep their good staff and have them sign on for repeat contracts not disengage them and drive them away

(And before anyone worries about service, they do not know how you tip, included or not. Secondly on cruises (albeit on sister lines in the RCI group) where the cruise has been all onboard are prepaid or included tips service has still been excellent as staff strive for the extra tips and comments on comment cards)

Lets put the tip debate to bed - in fact lets put the whole debate to bed, we have fully established there are varieties in offers on a global basis which is standard business practice

I couldn't have said it better.

Phil

Sorry - but you are wrong.

It is not just the Americans who can get this deal, or part of this deal. It is available to Canadians, Australians (albeit only 1 of the 3), most, if not indeed all, of Europe - in fact the only exclusion on Celebrity.com is UK residents.

I was about to insert the link – BUT – they’ve changed the wording!

It now says that the offer is only available to US and Canadian residents. My post on the 2nd Feb shows the original wording, but they’ve changed it now.

So rather than address the problem they’ve hidden it away. Nice.

I've just seen a fantastic offer for 14 nights on Seabourn, where tips are included as is smoking in your neighbour's suite, if you are unlucky, so who knows what's best.

Ultimately, it would seem best to become a US resident, albeit on a temporary basis.

Archived