Sunday Feb 3, Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam Sail Away.

PathfinderEss

Well I don't know what to say about today, we could have a new Captain on the Westerdam, which might be good or could be bad. It could be Captain PJ who start all the tooting or it might be someone who know's nothing about our sail away's. So I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens today. :confused:

Today is also my last day, as Chief will be back and I'm sure ready to take back his duties as leader of the Sail Away Addicts.:) I'm not sure but I think Innlady will be back also.:)

Here is the schedule as of now, which probably will change and usually does.

Ruby Princess 16:00

Westerdam 16:00

Allure of the Seas 17:00

Celebrity Silhouette17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam 17:00

....and here's where you can see and hear all the action:

Web cam: http://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

Web cam: http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

..........and ofcourse here on the CC boards.

Melodie - thanks so much for taking charge in the chief's absence:)

I expect to be here - I'm just hoping that the webcam is better today.

My computer was having problems with it yesterday - I finally gave up on my google chrome and went to I.E.:rolleyes:

Thanks Melodie for taking over the sail away threads. KK is right about Sheila. She won't be back for a while. She's stilll on the first leg of her first cruise.

I'll be here and hope we get some departures before the super bowl starts.My grandson is coming over to watch with his grandfather.

As I sit here in the north country, a mile from the Michigan border, watching the snow fall, again, looking at ships in Port Everglades just make me want to be on one! Well, only 53 days and a wake-up and I'll be sailing away on the Nieuw Amsterdam!:D

I might now make all of it today. Today is the event I wait for all year. Shepards vs Rotties; Labs vs Retrievers and of course the kitty half time show. Yes, it's time for the PUPPY BOWL!

(Oh, yes. It's sunny and in the 50s here)

Just heard Bridge Conversation between Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam regarding the new Westerdam Captain's bags.

Apparently they need to locate them as he was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam this last week and his luggage has not come off yet and they are trying to locate them now.

Not sure of his last name, sounded Greek to me, and I speak, read and understand the language:) The Bridge Officer from Westerdam told the Nieuw Amsterdam Bridge Officer that the new captain is very new, so I am guessing this will be his 1st Command......

So, let's HOPE that he has been instructed in keeping up the "Queens'" Good History:D

Last week the Westerdam set a new record of 110 Toots!! Maybe a new record today as both a Farewell to a DAM Great Captain and a Howdy Doo from the new Captain of the Westerdam!!!

Joanie

Sheila won't be back for a while.

Her 14 day cruise started on Oct 27. Then she booked the 7 day cruise which starts on Feb 10.

Thanks KK, I wasn't sure if it was 14 days or 21. Lucky girl to be cruising for 21 days.:)

Captains should have a list of things to know/do to give the new captain on turnover day. Number 1 should be: Toot that horn as much as you can when leaving Ft. Lauderdale! :D

I will be here to hear what happens. ;)

What a great idea Dobiemom, that works for me.

Just heard Bridge Conversation between Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam regarding the new Westerdam Captain's bags.

Apparently they need to locate them as he was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam this last week and his luggage has not come off yet and they are trying to locate them now.

Not sure of his last name, sounded Greek to me, and I speak, read and understand the language:) The Bridge Officer from Westerdam told the Nieuw Amsterdam Bridge Officer that the new captain is very new, so I am guessing this will be his 1st Command......

So, let's HOPE that he has been instructed in keeping up the "Queens'" Good History:D

Last week the Westerdam set a new record of 110 Toots!! Maybe a new record today as both a Farewell to a DAM Great Captain and a Howdy Doo from the new Captain of the Westerdam!!!

Joanie

Thanks for the information Joanie. Well, I guess this could turn out be a very interesting day. Will we go back to the standard 3 toots or continue on with the many toots, that will be the big question.:D

I would love to join the web cam party. What one are you all looking at?

I saw the sail away yesterday on Ft. Lauderdale web cam and it gave me chills seeing Eurodam sailing away, we will be on her Feb. 23. and can't wait.

Thanks

Marcia

THANKS, I think that is the one I was on. Do you guys know the camera man?

It was cool to follow all the responses:)

Marcia

Hey there Marcia!!!

Welcome to the one and only addiction that you cannot go to jail for having:D:D

OK, there are a couple of cameras that you can watch the Port Everglades/Ft Lauderdale Sail Aways from. They are both owned and operated free of charge to us, the lucky Addictees, by Lou and his partner Dave. They have the camera s at Port Everglades, Miami, New York Harbor, Port Canaveral...and more coming (I think). They are also known as PTZtv.

Here is the link to the main camera (located on Lou's Condo right at the Harbor Inlet: http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

From the link above you can go to just under the live streaming view and click on the buttons and try things out:) Also at the bottom of the page there are links to the other cameras and Face Book Pages for each of those other cameras/ports.

Glad to have you aboard with us!!!

BEFORE I FORGET.....

Once you see a cruise ship beginning to move, turn your speakers full blast and LISTEN to the sounds as they sail away off into the sunset:) Before they leave, you can listen to the Harbor/Marine Traffic, which can be very interesting at times!!! We have been on the listening and viewing end of Sailing Ships trying to go under the 17th Street Drawbridge and not making it...which shut down the bridge and Harbor traffic for a couple of hours as tug/tow boats worked feverishly to get it unstuck. Just a week ago we had one huge yacht named White Cloud, that had a major (looked major to us) problem just north of the same bridge. He kind of started to list hard to Port so badly that they had to quickly get the Helicopter started up and off the top yacht before the tug/tow boats could get him under tow and out of the middle of the Intercoastal Waterway (Kind of the Interstate of the area for boats).

Yes, some of us have had the great honor and priviledge of meeting Lou and/or Dave. BTW, they are also Members of Cruise Critic.

OK, enough babbling from me for a while:D

Joanie

Melodie, thanks for doing a fantastic job during Chief's and Sheila's absence.:) I'll be back for sailaway.... I bet the new captain is aware of all the horn critics out here, and if he really is a newby I bet he's just a bit nervous!!:D

Archived