Summit 1/26 - with pics - precruise in San Juan

Jborosara

IMG_3352.jpg

We love San Juan - we love the culture and we love the food (and beverages:-), so naturally we flew in a couple of days early to spend some time there. One of the things we had not previously done was visit El Yunque - the rainforest. If you like nature, it is not to be missed. As the only tropical rainforest in the US, there is literally no place like it in our country. Our mistake was in thinking that getting there would be easy if we just rented our own car. We were still in the US, after all!

Wow! is all I can say. I've been to some places that were challenging to navigate and others where I felt like just being in a car was a contact sport, but have never been driving a car in a place with both until this trip. Apparently lanes have no real meaning in PR - if you are in someone's way, watch out! We never did figure out whether the speed limits were in US or metric - it did not seem to matter! Top all of that off with a puzzling lack of road signs and we felt lucky we found the rain forest.

BUT! as you can see from the picture above, it was totally worth the effort to find the rain forest - what a beautiful place! It is a US National Park and is maintained as such. The facilities are beautiful and fitting for the setting. My only regret here is that we didn't have more time.

The picture above is of the Coca falls - it is easy to find and easy to access as it is on the main road in the park. There are always people there taking pictures in front of the falls.

IMG_3359.jpg

This picture was taken from one of the windows on the Yokahu tower. Tower is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but there are beautiful views from the windows and spectacular views of Vieques (and Culebra on a clear day) from the top. Maybe three or four flights of stairs to the pay off!

There are numerous trails in the park to hike and lots to see. One of the most popular is the trail to La Mina falls - it is about a 40 minute hike each way and much of it is fairly steep. Still we saw people much older than we and even a couple with a baby in a stroller that were able to make the journey.

IMG_3369.jpg

The water is cold, but it was fun to swim in the falls - never done that before!

IMG_3370.jpg

This is the LaMina falls from more of a distance. There are two trails down to the falls, but you have to take the same one up and down, because you have to drive to each trailhead - it would be VERY dangerous to walk the road from one trailhead to the next, though I did see people doing it.

Unfortunately, our rental car time was up and we didn't have time for more hiking. Next time, I would take a cab to the airport to rent the car there rather than renting downtown for a couple of reasons: (1) can keep the car longer - had to have the downtown rental back by 4pm (2) can avoid some of the most intense traffic as airport to OSJ was the worst of the traffic by far.

Puerto Ricans are an incredibly friendly people. On our way to return the rental car, we got lost (again) and couldn't figure out where we were. When we stopped to get gas to refill the car, I asked the attendant at the gas station for directions. She tried, but the language barrier was just too much. Another gentleman standing by heard our conversation and offered to "show" us how to get there - by that he meant that he would drive out of his way to take us to the Sheraton OSJ and we could follow. I fully intended to do something to thank him for his hospitality, but once he got us to the hotel, he waved, wished us well and drove away. Never in any other city have I been treated with such graciousness. I already loved this city - now I love it more! My dream is to one day retire there.... but I'm not even 50 yet (closer all the time) so that will have to wait.

That's all I got for tonight. Today was the first day back at work and I am exhausted by having to actually earn a living:-) Tomorrow, our dinner at Marmalade - walking OSJ - and boarding the Summit!

LOL at your description of the drivers in PR. I am used to driving on Southern California Freeways and I found being on the roads in PR frightening. A friend of ours who is a native of San Juan was taking us to the Bacardi Distillery one afternoon and, being a native, drove like the natives. She actually drove up on sidewalks, blowing the horn to clear pedestrians, so she could get to a right hand turn at the next corner a little faster. We were laughing so hard, our fear went away.

Nice pictures of El Yunque - I've been there twice and it is well worth the trip. I would just hire a car and driver to get there if I were to do it again. Last time, our native friend drove -enough said.

Wow! awesome photos; I'd love to visit PR and see more than Sandi Juan. Thanks for sharing.

It really is easy to get to El Yunque - though next time we go we are going to hire someone to take us out there or use one of the tour operators - not renting a car again! Also thinking that next year, we will likely stay in the Condado area, as we've stayed in OSJ the last two years.... pretty sure I won't be able to skip dinner at Marmalade in OSJ:-)

Last time we were in San Juan before a cruise we took a tour to El Yunque. It was a small group, we had a wonderful guide and we had a great time! Your pictures brought it back ...

We'll be there again in a few weeks and this time we're planning to take another tour, to Aricebo (?sp?) ... and we'll have another day to walk around Old Town and the forts ... can't wait!

Thanks for the report so far, and hope to read more, as we're cruising out of SJ soon.

Out of curiosity, about how long does it take to get to the rain forest (assuming you don't get lost) and can you see enough without hiking more than a couple city blocks or two?

Nice photos!, thanks!

I totally agree with you regarding the Puerto Rican people! That was so nice what that man did for you. We have not been to El Yunque in many, many years (honeymoon 1964!!) so perhaps we will return next month. We still talk about our first impressions of Puerto Rican drivers, red lights are just a suggestion! The only place worse is Rome!

More photos!

Thanks for the report so far, and hope to read more, as we're cruising out of SJ soon.

Out of curiosity, about how long does it take to get to the rain forest (assuming you don't get lost) and can you see enough without hiking more than a couple city blocks or two?

takes just over an hour to get there - less if you drive like a local:-) and yes - there is a lot to see that is either just on the road or not far off - several nice and flat trails at the park center - totally worth a visit even if mobility is an issue!

IMG_0367.jpg

My official "airplane" sweatshirt. I am a white-knuckle flyer so I always wear something to help me get to my "happy place" - Cardinals 2011 still does:-) (please no one mention how we only needed to win one game out of three to get back to the series again last year)

IMG_0370.jpg

a pic from the window of the plane - it was a beautiful day and a nice flight (as nice as flights can be when you are terrified) - we literally watched the moon rise out of our window...

IMG_0374.jpg

Seems like it takes forever to get there even though it is only three and a half hours from Hotlanta...

IMG_0386.jpg

Sun setting...

I always get excited when I look out the window and see San Juan - it is even more beautiful at night...

IMG_0391.jpg

We stayed at the Sheraton OSJ again this year. Last year, we made reservations through Celebrity that included transfers. This year, the Sheraton OSJ wasn't an option through X so we made our own. I gotta say I'll not do the X thing again. It was nice not to have to schlep bags on boarding day, but literally for the same money, we got one of the suites on the front of the building with a balcony and a full on view of the bay.... wow!

Got there late, so enjoyed a little mofongo, then off to bed....

IMG_0397.jpg

the view from our balcony the next morning...

IMG_0397.jpg

room service breakfast with the balcony doors open - then a trip to the car rental counter and the rainforest....

IMG_0399.jpg

Another shot at the balcony view...

IMG_0398.jpg

Quick tip when talking to Puerto Ricans.... as I said before, in general they are some of the friendliest and happiest people around - to me, it's part of the charm of the city. However, when one of them wants to talk politics of any kind with you... DON'T! The car rental agent was surly, at best - maybe even more rude than anything else. As we were trying to leave, he explained to us that we were liable for any tolls, etc... (which we expected) but not to think that we were in the US because we were NOT in the US and US laws would not protect us! He actually got a little loud and I briefly considered reminding him that we were heading to a US National Park (El Yunque), but thought better of it. We later learned that there are several distinct views regarding PR's relationship with the US and though they recently voted to become a state, may locals do not want statehood and are pretty angry about any mention that they are part of the US. We also found out that this dude was pretty much exiled to this desk because he's hard to get along with and it is a one person shop..... you live and you learn....:-)

The view from the top of Yokahu tower - that's Vieques in the distance. Used to be a US Naval training site - now has some of the regions most exclusive hotels and prettiest beaches (W Vieques, for example)

IMG_0405.jpg

I'm a gardener and a flower lover - so can't help myself!

IMG_3385.jpg

the inside of the visitors' center at El Yunque

IMG_0413.jpg

Every year we say we are going to try a new restaurant in San Juan and every year we eat at Marmalade and decide we can't possibly come to San Juan and not eat there. We get the five course tasting menu with wine pairings - always leave just a little stuffed but very very happy!

IMG_0432.jpg

The meal was, as always, delicious. The white bean soup - only word to describe it is foodgasm (stolen from Top Chef) - we literally lick our bowls clean and felt not one bit of shame - not one bit!

The chef at the restaurant regularly greets his customers - we chatted with him for several minutes - even got some restaurant recommendations for OSJ the next day. Very cool! I also very much appreciate that Marmalade will honor my request for the quiet comfortable table in the corner with pillows - every year - never fails! I just finished dinner at my house and just typing about the white bean soup makes me hungry again... If you like really fun and creative food paired in an interesting way with wine, this is definitely your place. Plus, it's about two blocks from the Sheraton OSJ, so easy to stagger back to the hotel after dinner.

Finally time to get on the ship. We, again, packed way too much and had to spend some time this particular morning sorting and gathering... but not before a run through OSJ and around the seawall... for the record, the run through the San Juan gate is stunningly beautiful, but up a VERY steep hill.

After cleaning up, packing up, checking out of the hotel, and checking our bags with the concierge, it was time for our walk around OSJ... It was raining lightly that morning during the run, so the cobblestone streets were wet (and slippery), but even more brilliantly blue than usual

IMG_0434.jpg

Looking forward to more from our wonderful cruise!

We just returned last night (this morning? --- Thank to United for a 2-hour delay in Chicago due to crew "reshuffling" -- our pilot's words)

In addition to our 3-day pre-cruise stay in OSJ, we also added 3 days in Vieques post-cruise.

Archived