Current State of the 'Regent Experience'?

UUNetBill

One more thing- I heard the same comments on the Mariner from folks who said it was nice but we won't be back as well. Same story as we heard on the Navigator. The Regent Experience is nice just not that much nicer.

We like staying with Regent because we tend to be creatures of habit with airlines, restaurants, cruises, land trips, etc but others are not.

Nope....just thinking its good to just let folks have their say and leave it at that. Yes, I too look forward to finally meeting you in person having heard and read so much.

As for what Regent is doing, it looks like trying to ramp up SR profits. Perhaps folks are right who seem to think a sale is on the horizon. Not sure but in a weak economy the strategy of driving away your loyal and steady customer base seems awfully short sighted to me. Instead of clawing back on inclusions, a reasonable fare increase would make more sense and likely be better received but when you raise prices and take away benefits, then all #%!! happens.

We have nothing booked on Regent for 2014 and not sure whether we will. We booked Oceania for the Caribbean in December

We only have one cruise booked in 2014 (February) and could easily be convinced to try an Oceania cruise..... if the price were right. I do not claim to understand what is going on with Regent but am not ready to go to war. We plan on cruising with Regent for as long as we are able to do so -- they have simply become an extended family to us -- we care about them a lot!

I won't be at the Meet and Greet next month but we are in the Observation Lounge almost every night between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. (at the bar:-) Do hope that we meet.

Have to make a comment about the Internet. Yes, it can be vile and slow! But today alone I have read the same complaints on the silversea and seabourn boards. That is the nature of Internet connections at sea.

And to be fair, it has gotten significantly better in the last couple of years.

It my opinion the luxury cruise product has deteriorated for most lines, including Regent. As a result we have been trying smaller ships which seem to have fewer problems living up to their brand promise. We just got off the WindSurf (a fabulous experience), and later this year we will be sailing on the Seabourn Pride and SeaDream I. If we try Regent again, it will be on the smaller Navigator, which is our favourite ship in their fleet. We find that we get better service, better food and have a better overall experience on smaller ships. We hear great things about SeaDream and are looking forward to our first cruise with them.

• Of the 39 excursions offered, NONE, not even one, was a seated or limited mobility tour on this cruise. Even many in the light activity category carried warnings “not available for wheelchair guests and those with mobility concerns”. Many of Regent’s guests are elderly and like me, have “mobility concerns”. I was only able to participate in one tour this entire cruise, and wasn’t able to complete that, although thankfully the guide did arrange for the bus driver to bring me back to the ship. Our fare includes the cost of some tours, yet I am unable to participate as I have peripheral neuropathy and peripheral vascular disease that limits mobility. In fairness, we must note that the process of booking and getting the excursions started each day is much improved, the staff seems better organized, more knowledgeable and much more helpful than some in the past have been.

......................Tours offered seem to ignore disabled guests as well as many with limited mobility.

May I offer my wholehearted support to you, count florida, for this complaint about included excursions. Travelcat is right in saying that tours which include "Panorama" in the title are often more suitable for those of limited mobility, but there are often none of those in a port. We have to look for itineraries with many sea days, otherwise we sit on board with a book and hope for good weather to sit on deck. It surely should be possible to lay on perhaps a mini coach at each port to do maybe a short tour around. A lot of fine words are spoken of the need to cater for those of limited mobility but in this respect there is little action. I hope the management, who profess to read this forum, can take some action.

I agree, Tom. It seems there should be a limited mobility excursion, at least one, at every port. This would solve 2 problems. First, people with limited mobility would be able to get out and about and use the excursions they have paid for. Just a bus drive around would not be that expensive to arrange. Not fair to be confined to the ship.

Second, this would offer an option so that those with limited mobility would not be taking excursions for which they are clearly unfit. I am always amazed at those who can hardly get around who sign up for a tour that clearly states there is a lot of walking or stairs or standing. I have to wonder if they just didn't read the description, or if there just wasn't anything appropriate available for them to choose from.

What really bugs me is when they take an excursion that clearly requires walking/standing as per the description and then complain bitterly about the walking/standing.

One of my funniest memories is George and another man having to push and pull a very large lady up into the Chivas bus in Ecuador. The description clearly stated there was a large step to get on the bus, and there really was.

There should always be a step stool in the bus or van for those who need the assistance. Often the bus will "bow" down to make entry and exit easier for those with leg muscle problems. Perhaps it is funny to onlookers but certainly not to those who have difficulty. (This is why I never go solo on the bus!) And often it is extremely difficult to determine from the descriptions what's going to work for you and what isn't.

But it is so true that there are very few options for those with limited mobility.

There should always be a step stool in the bus or van for those who need the assistance. Often the bus will "bow" down to make entry and exit easier for those with leg muscle problems. Perhaps it is funny to onlookers but certainly not to those who have difficulty. (This is why I never go solo on the bus!) And often it is extremely difficult to determine from the descriptions what's going to work for you and what isn't.

But it is so true that there are very few options for those with limited mobility.

This is not a regular bus, rather an open air very primitive type bus. There was ample warning that it was difficult to get up as it was a quite high step up, and that those with mobility issues should not attempt it. Actually it would have been difficult even for those with just normal arthritis.

It may not be fair but in some less enlightened destinations the needs of disabled people or those with limited mobility are frequently overlooked or ignored and tours/transportation/venues are simply not designed to accommodate them. It may well be that Regent simply can't offer tours or excursions that cater to everyone's needs because they aren't available in the first place.

Ship's Internet? If course satellite is slower than our super fast cable at home. Remember when we happily relied on clunky old dial-up?

It may not be fair but in some less enlightened destinations the needs of disabled people or those with limited mobility are frequently overlooked or ignored and tours/transportation/venues are simply not designed to accommodate them. It may well be that Regent simply can't offer tours or excursions that cater to everyone's needs because they aren't available in the first place.

Ship's Internet? If course satellite is slower than our super fast cable at home. Remember when we happily relied on clunky old dial-up?

Agree with your post. There are some ports where it is difficult for people that are not disabled to deal with the steps, etc. In Manta, Equador -- the "Chivas" bus described by Rachel, my DH had to push my butt up the huge step -- not easy and I am not that out of shape. Having a van that can accommodate wheelchairs is a great idea but some ports/countries simply do not have them. When we were recently in India, we were lucky to get a bus with a minimal level of air conditioning and fairly decent seats. Hopefully the world will eventually have accommodations for everyone...... just do not think that exists today.

In terms of internet, there are still places in the world where internet access is not available (parts of Alaska for example). I truly hope that people do not go on cruise ships expecting the internet to be up and running 24/7 for them because it certainly does not happen. The same is true for telephones -- on sea days. It can take a long time to get a line to dial out on.

IMO, Regent does the best it can in the areas of internet, telephones and accommodations for the disabled. Really look forward to the day when there are significant improvements in these areas.

Oh, and Bissell, I am sorry if my comments were offensive to you. I am not a mean uncaring person. But you misinterpreted. The funny thing was NOT that the lady was having difficulty getting onboard. As travelcat said, it was a challenge--I was wearing a dress, and was not the most graceful. The funny thing was that my husband and the other man were trying valently to be gentlemen and not touch any "sensitive" areas, which was impossible. The lady herself was laughing and finally told them to grab hold and push.

Bissell and others,

I can walk during the excursions with no problem, but I am 5'1 and appreciate a step into and off of the bus. Saw a lady almost fall when she left the bus and no one was there to help. Is this such a difficult thing to do? I am not mobility impaired but if I fall off of that bus, I might be!!!

RachelG, I am certainly not offended as I have read your posts and know you are a good person. But thanks for your further description as I too see how wrenchingly embarrassing this can be to all and humor is the best response.

Patti, I believe I recognize you now as we were together in Spain with you and your husband last fall. What a fun time we had with you both!

Often when tours have areas that are too difficult, it is easy enough to just wait for the group to explore the catacombs or whatever and meet up with them then. But it is really impossible to know ahead of time exactly what awaits. It causes a lot of anxiety actually to get in a situation that you can't get out of or inconveniences others.

Thanks TC for your India observations. We are booked on the April cruise and I think we made a mistake because of these issues. Shame, what a fascinating cruise to such interesting places.

There should always be a step stool in the bus or van for those who need the assistance. Often the bus will "bow" down to make entry and exit easier for those with leg muscle problems.

There certainly should be a step. Even just a block of wood, but there rarely is one and the lowering of the front of the coach is also very rare.

Where cruise ships stop, there is an awareness that there are people of limited mobility and those agencies who arrange the trips for cruise lines could and would, if the line asked them, lay on a sightseeing tour to cater for them. In any event I, and I suspect, count florida, are talking about established ports. There is a lack of suitable tours almost everywhere. When I book a Regent cruise, I find that only occasionally is there a suitable tour. That is why you often see the difficulties Rachel described, of people being almost forced onto trips which are eminently not suitable. Otherwise you don’t get off the ship at all.

On our next cruise, a Transatlantic, we call at 6 ports. There are none which are classed as suitable. Three which may suit even though they include some walking and we hope we can find a café to sit in and three with none at all for us, Malaga, Cartagena and Palma none of which can be described as “less enlightened”.

All we are asking is for the included excursions to contain at least one in each port of call which is suitable for folk of limited mobility.

If F D R does read this board, I hope he will ask his relevant department to look into this.

There certainly should be a step. Even just a block of wood, but there rarely is one and the lowering of the front of the coach is also very rare.

Where cruise ships stop, there is an awareness that there are people of limited mobility and those agencies who arrange the trips for cruise lines could and would, if the line asked them, lay on a sightseeing tour to cater for them. In any event I, and I suspect, count florida, are talking about established ports. There is a lack of suitable tours almost everywhere. When I book a Regent cruise, I find that only occasionally is there a suitable tour. That is why you often see the difficulties Rachel described, of people being almost forced onto trips which are eminently not suitable. Otherwise you don’t get off the ship at all.

On our next cruise, a Transatlantic, we call at 6 ports. There are none which are classed as suitable. Three which may suit even though they include some walking and we hope we can find a café to sit in and three with none at all for us, Malaga, Cartagena and Palma none of which can be described as “less enlightened”.

All we are asking is for the included excursions to contain at least one in each port of call which is suitable for folk of limited mobility.

If F D R does read this board, I hope he will ask his relevant department to look into this.

I have to echo the need for more excursions suited for mobility impaired travelers.

My spouse has limited walking ability; he can walk but his stamina is limited. We do participate in many of the scenic excursions; however there are some sites that are literally a once in a lifetime opportunity for him and that is important to me. In those cases we will almost always be last on the bus but I can say that most of our fellow travelers have been so kind and compassionate that delays have been brushed aside with grace and good humor.

Regent does need to find suitable tours for the mobility impaired that is something more than sit on the bus and look at the pretty scenery. Smaller busses, a slower paced tour. The guests would not be able to see as many things as the “full” tours but that little visit to a ruin, a cathedral, or even just seeing a plaque on a wall close up IS the reason we travel.

Thanks count florida/Mike & Pat, OrpingtonT/Tom & Barbara for pointing out the immediate need for improved limited mobility excursion options. Have not seen a topic on this Regent board in a while that deserves a response/action from PCH/Regent leadership more than this one. Am guessing if you both find current limited mobility options limited, many other Regent limited mobility pax do too. Hope Kunal Kamlani or FDR respond with an action plan.

I have to admit that I have, in the past, complained about people on tours they're clearly unsuited for (complained to myself, and mostly under my breath - nothing official to Regent). Having read these posts, I now understand why some guests try to 'push the limits', as it were, to get out and see some of the ports. That doesn't excuse the people of VERY limited mobility on zipline excursions and other mis-matches like that, but it certainly does help explain why some folks want to get out and enjoy the ports they've prepaid for even if the included tour isn't a perfect fit for them.

My wife and I try to take the '2- and 3- walking person' excursions to avoid this issue as we're both still pretty mobile, but that, too, has backfired on us in the past. My suggestion would be to read the complete excursion description and if there's any question about the suitability or your ability to comfortably take the tour, double check with Regent or onboard at your first opportunity...

That said, it sure wouldn't take too much for Regent to arrange a few more bus tours around their ports for people with mobility issues. I'm frankly getting a little bit peeved about seeing so many extra cost car, van, and motorcoach excursions at each port...and they're not inexpensive!

I have to admit that I have, in the past, complained about people on tours they're clearly unsuited for (complained to myself, and mostly under my breath - nothing official to Regent). Having read these posts, I now understand why some guests try to 'push the limits', as it were, to get out and see some of the ports. That doesn't excuse the people of VERY limited mobility on zipline excursions and other mis-matches like that, but it certainly does help explain why some folks want to get out and enjoy the ports they've prepaid for even if the included tour isn't a perfect fit for them.

My wife and I try to take the '2- and 3- walking person' excursions to avoid this issue as we're both still pretty mobile, but that, too, has backfired on us in the past. My suggestion would be to read the complete excursion description and if there's any question about the suitability or your ability to comfortably take the tour, double check with Regent or onboard at your first opportunity...

That said, it sure wouldn't take too much for Regent to arrange a few more bus tours around their ports for people with mobility issues. I'm frankly getting a little bit peeved about seeing so many extra cost car, van, and motorcoach excursions at each port...and they're not inexpensive!

I'm glad those of us who have posted here have given you a few thoughts to ponder and I don't blame you one bit for muttering under your breath a few times!! We always check on the tours as soon as we can and there have been a handful (some paid for) that were more than he could handle, so we cancelled out. Trust me, you will never ever see us on a zip line, but I would look out if ATV's are involved!

Thanks TC for your India observations. We are booked on the April cruise and I think we made a mistake because of these issues. Shame, what a fascinating cruise to such interesting places.

The buses, drivers and tour guide were extraordinary on the Agra pre-cruise. There was always a hand to help passengers down the steps. The buses were in excellent condition. The buses I described earlier were on tours in smaller ports in India. Regent gave passengers a written notice about buses and tour guides in these areas. They were providing us with the best they had. Some buses had limited (or no) air conditioning and some guides were difficult to understand. This should not preclude people with limited mobility from going on the excursions. I brought up India as one of several places in the world that may not be able to provide easy-access vans to local places.

As I have mentioned previously, I would not do India again but am thrilled that we had the opportunity to see it -- such an amazing place!

P.S. Fizzy: Yes -- FDR has sailed with his family on Regent. I specifically recall when they sailed on the Navigator to Alaska:-)

Interesting comments, especially about excursions for those with limited mobility...and I think the idea of all tour buses having a step that could, for example, be kept in the hold and brought out is a good one. I don't have a mobility issue - I play 18 holes of golf 3-4 times a week and walk the course -but I DO have an issue with high steps...I just can't manage them. Having something to fix this step problem on the bus would be great.

As to passengers with limited mobility participating in excursions where it is clearly stated that there is a lot of walking on uneven terrain etc, we certainly saw this on several excursions on last years Matiner TA cruise. Getting a wheel chair through old buildings in Rabat was impossible, for example. On our Oceania cruise last month we saw none of this. Everyone on our excursions was able to walk the serval hours they had to... So is this just a "Regent thing"??

On Keith's journal (over on Crystal) I spied a step stool in front of a mini van and wrote in his current thread to ask him if that was something he frequently encountered. He responded that a step stool was usually present at the vehicle.

I had my TA request a step stool on our 24 day cruise last September and it was duly noted. However Destinations Desk said it was against the laws in Europe to have them so I struggled without one. Frankly I really doubt it is against the law since Keith's report.

I would really like a groundswell of support for having step stools!!

Carolyn

Archived