Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

You are partly correct. Those who had flights the next day or two were provided with lodging here in San Diego. They did not require clothing as their luggage was delivered to them on the pier.

Four day cruise now extended to eight days--just how much clean clothing do you think is in those suitcases?

Porta-Showers? That would be enough to set even the most level headed person off.

CCL needs to have high quality hotel rooms for each cabin ready and waiting. No Motel 6/Days Inn/Red Roof/best Value type of crap, but Hilton, Marriott, Renaissance, etc. At the lowest end they should have Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

But they're going to Mobile, Alabama!

Porta-Showers? That would be enough to set even the most level headed person off.

CCL needs to have high quality hotel rooms for each cabin ready and waiting. No Motel 6/Days Inn/Red Roof/best Value type of crap, but Hilton, Marriott, Renaissance, etc. At the lowest end they should have Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

I think any hotel is better than what they are on currently..:rolleyes:

Besides doesnt everyone consider Carnival the budget cruiseline:eek:

For those who keep saying they should remove the passengers by lifeboat, need I remind you that 5 people were killed this week in a lifeboat being lowered in a drill while in a port in calm water with all power fully functioning.

Lowering lifeboats in a ship on the high seas that has no power and no stabilization would be many times more dangerous than the drill was and expose passengers to untold risks. Using the Triumph as a lifeboat and towing it to Mobile is the ONLY safe option and those who think they know better should reconsider their foolishness.

And yes, since Carnival corp has 99 ships the odds are that they will have more mishaps than a cruise line with only 6 or 8 ships.

Good news on both fronts if it's accurate. Source, please.

I don't know first hand about NTSB, but I do know the USCG is lined up to begin their investigation. Just like Splendor, they will be conducting a full and thorough investigation.

For those who keep saying they should remove the passengers by lifeboat, need I remind you that 5 people were killed this week in a lifeboat being lowered in a drill while in a port in calm water with all power fully functioning.

Lowering lifeboats in a ship on the high seas that has no power and no stabilization would be many times more dangerous than the drill was and expose passengers to untold risks. Using the Triumph as a lifeboat and towing it to Mobile is the ONLY safe option and those who think they know better should reconsider their foolishness.

And yes, since Carnival corp has 99 ships the odds are that they will have more mishaps than a cruise line with only 6 or 8 ships.

You don't have to lower the lifeboats full. Lower the lifeboats and then open one of the doors near the water line to allow people to board.

If we were in Japan, Arison and Frank would have immediately resigned!

CEOs and COOs of Japanese corporations take responsibility, they don't make excuses!

True

But If we were in Japan I would be having Sushi tonight for dinner and not leftovers:eek::D

Ummm, passengers can be safely transferred at sea to another vessel:

"By 1974 the cruising business had expanded and the QE2 was operating profitably. On 1 April that year, whilst on a cruise from New York to San Juan, a technical fault caused the propulsion machinery to shut down. The ship was disabled and it was not until 3 April that the Sea Venture, a Flagship Cruises vessel, arrived to assist. The passengers were transferred and tugs were hired to tow the QE2 back to Bermuda. Subsequent repairs meant that the Easter cruise had to be cancelled.'

I was on the QE2 for that adventure. The transfer took all day as the QE2 didn't have the power to lower her lifeboats and they had to use the smaller ones from the Sea Venture.

The decision to tranfer the passengers was due to the gravity of the situation...the exact same situation that is now occuring on Truimph. The greatest danger is not the cold food/lack of food or the sanitary conditions...the greatest danger is FIRE.

Interesting story. I'm sure a transfer does have its risks, but as you indicate, there may be more risk than people realize in the existing situation. That is an unknown.

Seems as ships were designed and built the size they are today, more thought would have been put into what could be done in these situations. Though I know there is risk to transfer people between ships in the open sea, surely there could have been design options to minimize this risk. If you build a ship that can hold 3,000+ people, you should be responsible to design it such that emergency situations are better handled. Seems the only option is to use a lifeboat, and the Concordia showed the many flaws with that option. I don't claim to have an answer, but it doesn't appear as though those designing these giants tried too hard to come up with one either.

Excellent news. The NTSB press release can be found at http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130212b.html

Thanks for posting this. :)

Good news on both fronts if it's accurate. Source, please.

Nevermind, saw the links.

yes. Statement is in link above. CNN reported the statement was issued, as well as the medical personnel.

Quick Request to Anyone?? (I haveta sign off) -- can anyone tell me where and when (time and network) Gerry will be giving the "State of Carnival Address?"

I'd like to DVR it.

He should get his butt to Mobile to give it, IMO.

Archived