FAO Mr. F. Del Rio

LEESRE

Mr Del Rio,

Could I possibly ask Oceania to consider, for us "Brits", the possibility of having Ginger Beer in bottles at one of the bars, prefably the one on deck.

I have asked before whilst on Riviera and the bar staff do not know of such a drink. They always come back with Ginger Ale, this is not the same but a mixer for other drinks.

As I will be cruising twice on Riviera this year would love to know if this is possible. On our last cruise I often heard us "Brits" asking for this drink.

Strange request I know but thought I might ask.

Thank you. Here is what it is.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ginger+beer&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB405GB447&biw=1024&bih=536&tbm=isch&tbnid=X8SejQkGpERtCM:&imgrefurl=http://emilybenet.blogspot.com/2011/02/ginger-buzz.html&docid=DCwTH1O4QYUMDM&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B5IqKTdsZ_k/TWWNq1ttbBI/AAAAAAAAAwE/5qCsbieG9Co/s1600/ginger-beer-old-jam.gif&w=300&h=451&ei=2PokUbLaO6yT0QXMw4GYDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=395&vpy=126&dur=7469&hovh=275&hovw=183&tx=109&ty=301&sig=118141901181770845945&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=105&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,i:160

Edited by LEESRE

Ginger ale is similar to Ginger Beer the non alcoholic one

We drink it straight... here in Canada as well as using it for mixers

Works well for nausea when it is flat ..always was given to us when we were sick

Some Ginger Beers are very strong but we love them also

Tried one Jamaican ginger beer ..YIKES it was very strong ginger flavour

I would vote for the Ginger Beer as well

Lyn

FYI, non-alcoholic beer is not included in the no cost beverage package.

It might be that is has some alcohol in it even though it is a small percentage so still considered alcoholic

Some Ginger beer is not really "beer" it is made similar to ginger ale with carbonation instead of fermentation

Edited by LHT28

Ginger beer is non alcoholic.

The Aussies make some good ones in a dark bottle...

My fave is Bundaberg, Australian family owned - comes in four packs.

I get it at World Market, tastes the most like the stuff my Mum would take on picnics when we were kids in England...

FDR...Carribean Hideaways March 28th....!

You ROCK as CEO, just for considering!

Terry

Ginger beer does contain alcohol and is an integral ingredient in a dark and stormy, one of my son's favorite drinks.

The traditional Ginger beers do contain alcohol, but these days the soft non-alcoholic version is more common.

A Dark and Stormy should be made with the non-alcoholic version though, but I'm sure personal tastes may vary :)

Historical food note: ginger ALE and ginger BEER were much the same. Not the dry ginger ale we mostly have now (that is what started the 'Canada Dry' brand and the concept of bottle soda pop as we have today) but it was a darker and sweeter beverage more like ginger BEER today. There is a fermented (alcoholic) ginger beer (hence the beer/ ale moniker) version but I believe most folks think of the carbonated version.

Now if you can get O to also at Waves put out vinegar I would be very happy.

I've been given red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and 'sorry no, we do not have that here' until more recently on O class. Got malt vinegar once by a manger who insisted, even demonstratively demonstrated to serving staff the 'proper' way to serve the hidden bottle of C&B malt vinegar (FYI it is tucked away below the salad station at Waves if the staff cannot find it).

According to that manager's technique it apparently must be served in an (awkward) ramekin despite originally packaged in a retail bottle with a 'dispensing' spout. I know he meant well.

A big improvement is now that they have the chef 'on deck' in Terrace Cafe. He took the time to ask what I was looking for when he saw me browsing the condiment tray complete with various hot sauces, dijon mustard, etc but alas no vinegar. I told him my objective and after that - vinegar appeared! So much better than the Waves manager who told me they would consider sending a request to Miami if I had 10 friends request it!

Despite my love of O's Dover sole, the sadly no more perfect Lyon sausage appetizer in Jacques, the fabulous Ibérico de Bellota pork and everything from their amazing bakery at sea, simple salt & vinegar on fresh cooked french fries is a treat.

Sorry to hijack your thread and to have gone on for so long. Clearly something I needed to say. Whew... better now.

Hope you get your Ginger Beer. Thinking of you I'll ask for a Moscow Mule on my next cruise this summer.

Edited by YoHoHo

To clarify ginger beer in the UK is available in both alcoholic and non alcoholic varieties. I don't think Enid Blyton would have been too happy if the "The Famous Five" had enjoyed "lashings of ginger beer" on their picnics if it had contained alcohol!

Thanks Mr del Rio for your usual "on the case" attitude, we can't wait for our FIRST Oceania cruise in May.

LEESRE- I've never heard of this beverage, but will ask our F&B dept to look into availability immediately.

FDR

Once you're looking into ginger beer, I'll chime in to say that those of us who drink it in a Dark and Stormy, the cocktail already mentioned in the thread, would vote for the bar stocking the classic ingredients: Gosling Dark Seal Rum and Barritt's Ginger Beer.

Thanks.

Mr. Del Rio,

It is I who started this thread and I would like to send you a very big thank you for considering this beverage for your ships.

Once again it is amazing that a CEO looks in on these posts and encouraging that things are looked at.

Many thanks again and I will look forward to asking for this beverage on our next two Oceania Riviera cruises.

Rex Lees.

Edited by LEESRE

I've been given red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and 'sorry no, we do not have that here' until more recently on O class. Got malt vinegar once by a manger who insisted, even demonstratively demonstrated to serving staff the 'proper' way to serve the hidden bottle of C&B malt vinegar (FYI it is tucked away below the salad station at Waves if the staff cannot find it).

I agree ..we want MALT vinegar

they have it in a gravy boat in the buffet when they have fish n chips ...very awkward to put on with a spoon

Just put the bottle out ;)

Lyn