All Things Adventure of the Seas

ckrobyn,

Thanks, we'll take a pass on that. My kids liked the class on the Allure which is why I asked.

On a side note, have you ever been in either 1394/1392? So excited for these rooms in June.

Yup - we had JS 1694 quite a few years ago. Enjoy the huge balcony! :)

We are going the end of June. We were on the Adventure in 2009 when our kids were younger. Hard to believe it was 6 years ago.

The last time we were on AOTS was in March 2009. Not that you won't get answers before April, but if you have any specific questions answered or photos of the ship taken let me know.

check on them for you this week. Last year they were 5-10 bucks. some games 6 or 7 dollars weird...hubby plays craps..poker...let it ride. Not sure what they will have on this trip.

Thanks crisndee! Have a great trip! Are doing itinerary A or B?

After reading so many posts about how bad the ship was, and showing her age, I was somewhat hesitant to go, thinking I made a mistake booking on this "old" ship.

Let me tell you, it was no mistake. The ship is beautiful and you would never know it was 12+ years old. Very stylish and very functional. We enjoyed the cruise and glad we picked the Adventure.

Sure there are a few things that could be better...but really, how can a cruise be bad? Would you have just rather stayed home?

Don't worry about the age of the ship.....it's aging well!

After reading so many posts about how bad the ship was, and showing her age, I was somewhat hesitant to go, thinking I made a mistake booking on this "old" ship.

Let me tell you, it was no mistake. The ship is beautiful and you would never know it was 12+ years old. Very stylish and very functional. We enjoyed the cruise and glad we picked the Adventure.

Sure there are a few things that could be better...but really, how can a cruise be bad? Would you have just rather stayed home?

Glad to hear she's in great shape. We sail on her next month on the southern B itinerary.

Thanks for the update

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

Thanks for your report! So of course Im going to ask what could have been "better"? I think a lot of times we save up money and vacation time and most people make the best of a cruise versus being at home working and paying the bills but if something wasn't quite right, I am interested in what that was!

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks for your report! So of course Im going to ask what could have been "better"? I think a lot of times we save up money and vacation time and most people make the best of a cruise versus being at home working and paying the bills but if something wasn't quite right, I am interested in what that was!

What could have been better?

Ice Cream (soft serve) available more than just noon-6. We are used to 24/7 on Carnival. More pizza flavors that just pepperoni and cheese at the 24/7 snack area on Promenade Deck. Again, used to 6+ and even made to order pizzas from Carnival. More places to get a snack than just the one on Promenade Deck. Fresh burgers and fries and hot dogs off the grill by the pool area (Thanks Carnival again for that idea) instead of just burgers on the buffet. One area on each cabin deck with an iron to iron clothes for formal night. We were told they took them out a few years ago. The same movies played at the same times each day..so if you ate at dining room, you always missed the movie that only played at that time. I wanted the movies to be at different times each day. Places to get water/lemonade other than just at lunch. The buffet area closed around 9 and there were no other places to get drinks of water.

Loved that there weren't very many shops. Most other lines have shop after shop after shop. Very surprised with just the few. Food in dining room was good. Ship fantastic shape. Crew friendly and willing to help out.

Ice Cream (soft serve) available more than just noon-6. We are used to 24/7 on Carnival. More pizza flavors that just pepperoni and cheese at the 24/7 snack area on Promenade Deck. Again, used to 6+ and even made to order pizzas from Carnival. More places to get a snack than just the one on Promenade Deck. Fresh burgers and fries and hot dogs off the grill by the pool area (Thanks Carnival again for that idea) instead of just burgers on the buffet. One area on each cabin deck with an iron to iron clothes for formal night. We were told they took them out a few years ago. The same movies played at the same times each day..so if you ate at dining room, you always missed the movie that only played at that time. I wanted the movies to be at different times each day. Places to get water/lemonade other than just at lunch. The buffet area closed around 9 and there were no other places to get drinks of water.

Loved that there weren't very many shops. Most other lines have shop after shop after shop. Very surprised with just the few. Food in dining room was good. Ship fantastic shape. Crew friendly and willing to help out.

To my knowledge, Adventure never had any ironing stations.

Ice water is available 24 hours in Cafe Promenade. Also, any bar will give a glass of water upon request.

Thanks Doug! Sounds like these small issues are more "never were available" on Royal vs a "drop off" in service. I've never cruised Carnival, but Royal has never had 24/7 pizza or guest laundry facilities. You are lucky you got soft serve till 6- one cruise we were on had a group of 400 teens and the soft serve was gone by 1 pm every afternoon!

We've crusied on Royal, lots, and the lack of late night snacks /desserts is one of our nit picks too, we also found very little open for a late night snack after 9PM on some ships. We'd love to go to the WJ after 10 to get a late dessert (after skipping it in the MDR) but usually there aren't many, or any, options.

One thing I'm wondering about; we chose Adventure because it does have a couple of "extra fee" areas that we are hoping are open after 9. Did you notice if Johnny Rockets was open after 9? Also, I think I read there is a Ben and Jerrys ice cream spot in the promenade. Did you notice of that was open late? That's where we are hoping to satisfy our late dessert cravings, even at an extra cost!

One thing I'm wondering about; we chose Adventure because it does have a couple of "extra fee" areas that we are hoping are open after 9. Did you notice if Johnny Rockets was open after 9? Also, I think I read there is a Ben and Jerrys ice cream spot in the promenade. Did you notice of that was open late? That's where we are hoping to satisfy our late dessert cravings, even at an extra cost!

FamilygoBoston!

I follow all of your reviews- they're awesome. Thank you or the time and effort you dedicate.

We have been on AOS twice, in 2012 and 2009. We just booked again for Jan. 2016. Are you going again?

Thanks Doug! Sounds like these small issues are more "never were available" on Royal vs a "drop off" in service. I've never cruised Carnival, but Royal has never had 24/7 pizza or guest laundry facilities. You are lucky you got soft serve till 6- one cruise we were on had a group of 400 teens and the soft serve was gone by 1 pm every afternoon!

We've crusied on Royal, lots, and the lack of late night snacks /desserts is one of our nit picks too, we also found very little open for a late night snack after 9PM on some ships. We'd love to go to the WJ after 10 to get a late dessert (after skipping it in the MDR) but usually there aren't many, or any, options.

Ben and Jerry's is open until one Am.

Johnny Rocket's is open until midnight. We weren't impressed with Johnny Rocket's. Especially after the cover charge and then the charge for milkshakes.

Cafe Promenade is open 24hrs, is complimentary, and has some good little sandwiches and desserts and decent pizza.

Edited by gregorykicks

The issues you have mentioned regarding food, are probably those of other cruisers. It sounds like you enjoyed the food in the MDR. Cafe Promenade is open 24/7 and has always had a variety to choose from of snacks and easy to eat food. You can always get water (unsure of if lemonade there), and as Bob mentioned any bar will give you a glass of water.

I do believe that the department responsible for food, should hear what you have to say directly. You can send an email to rcldining@rccl.com. This goes directly into the department in the home office that handles food and beverage. It is more than just for special needs.

Having cruised on ships with Cafe Promenade, I still would like the WJ open later than 9pm. Even if they keep only one small section open with fruit and desserts, coffee and tea, water and lemonade that would be nice.

Nice to hear that there were fewer shops.

Two threads with compasses (for the different itineraries):

These will give you an idea of the food options/times available:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133439

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2140791&highlight=adventure+compass

Edited by skiiergirl

They didn't have large cannisters of iced water in the Cafe Promenade? They have been there every time we have sailed on Adventure.

Thanks everyone, I recalled them both being open later on Mariner class ships, it was one of the reasons we are going back because we like an ice cream dessert, but like to "rest" a bit after dinner! Room service doesn't really work for us, not many options, and we don't really enjoy hanging out in the cabin waiting for delivery! We've often used a buy one get one shake coupon, but honestly, I can't remember if the newest iteration of coupons still have those! I know most times if we got a to go shake we weren't charged the cover charge, and if we do get the cover charge when we sit to order shakes (at an ala carte price); they usually deliver fries and rings, which we don't refuse;) Anyway, thanks for the links to the compasses and closing times everyone, very helpful!

FamilygoBoston!

I follow all of your reviews- they're awesome. Thank you or the time and effort you dedicate.

We have been on AOS twice, in 2012 and 2009. We just booked again for Jan. 2016. Are you going again?

Thank you, you are very kind!! We are going on Adventure this spring!! It's a graduation trip for our DD- last one out the door! :p I will be doing a full review, and can't wait, I love doing reviews here because people really appreciate them and give good feedback! I feel like I can make each one a little better and more helpful when I know what people like and don't like about them! I will live blog on my website too...if the ships internet cooperates, I'll post a thread here in April so you'll know when. I'll do a full report here in May, as soon as hubby gets the photos processed :D

Hiya Adventure cruisers,

I took a peek at these Compii and have a couple of questions for recent AOS cruisers about the shows. Just thinking and planning, trying to decide what's worth doing!

On my RC a member got an email from RCCL after requesting entertainment schedule for our April 19 departure: (questions are in red)

Production Shows:

Can’t Stop The Rock

Invitation to Dance

Jackpot

(Three?? Really?? welcome show, 2 HL shows, 2 Production shows, 1 ice show and a farewell show- where do they fit a third production show!?) There are only 2 Production Shows listed in the Compasses...which ones did you see on board? Can't Stop the Rock is listed in an older Compass, ITD and Jackpot are in the most recent one. Any opinions, reviews about these shows?

Studio B Ice Show:

Cool Art… Hot Ice

Did anyone get tickets on board? The last time I did an ice show on a non Oasis class there were massive queues at the door to the show, FCFS. I know now that they have advanced reservations (I haven't succeeded in being able to book the show yet) but they must also give tickets on board, wondering when and where?

Parades:

Island Frenzy

Sail Away

Performers will include:

Dean Austin, Comedian

Clint Holmes, Vocalist

Revoiced Acapella Group

Oleksandr and Tetiana Ice Act, Star Act

Terry Dobson, Pub Guitarist

Kirk Marsh, Novelty Act

Anyone ever experience these folks on board? I know some are lounge acts, but I think Kirk March and Revoiced might be the HLs for our voyage (if the email is correct!)

The earlier Compii I had seen had shows at 7 and 9 PM and these more recent Compii have 9 and 10:45 PM. Wondering which you folks experienced...two later shows (after dinnertime) or one show offered before late seating one offered after early seating? I know I prefer the later shows because I don't like rushing back from port for an early show or dinner. I'm wondering what most people have experienced recently?

And last question for C & A members out there...was there entertainment at the C & A events? One event we attended had excellent entertainment, other times, meh. Trying to decide whether to schedule dinner around these things or not bother.

Thanks for any thoughts!! Off to see if I can book the ice show yet ;)