Oosterdam or Volendam?

NoobCruise

I saw on the CC news that the Oosterdam made the top 10 Favorite ships list for mid-sized ships this year. She is also doing the Inside Passage out of Vancouver, but the Northbound route, ending in Seward. I didn't see the Volendam make it into even one sub-category.

The Oosterdam gets points for having the aft wraps. The Volendam gets points for having both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on the itinerary.

So which ship do you like better? Oosterdam or Volendam? Why?

I saw on the CC news that the Oosterdam made the top 10 Favorite ships list for mid-sized ships this year. She is also doing the Inside Passage out of Vancouver, but the Northbound route, ending in Seward. I didn't see the Volendam make it into even one sub-category.

The Oosterdam gets points for having the aft wraps. The Volendam gets points for having both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on the itinerary.

So which ship do you like better? Oosterdam or Volendam? Why?

I have never figured out how they come to these conclusions except going by the reviews posted. I have seen reviews where people say the ship was great and give a 1 (not good) - so perhaps that distorts things?

In any case, I have been on both ships. I prefer the Volendam. I like the smaller ships. the Ooesterdam was nice - I had no complaints. But I did find the service better on the Volendam, the food better and the staff warmer. Maybe it's because it's a smaller ship and they get to 'know' you? I'm not sure - but if you are an Alaska fan - I would look at the Volendam for bot the itinerary and the ship itself. JMO

I like the smaller ships, too…but go for the itinerary you want…you might not find they both sail to the same ports.

(We prefer Hubbard Glacier, but Glacier Bay is second with us….then Tracy Arm.)

Assuming both itineraries are attractive, I would always take the Volendam over the Oosterdam. I prefer the smaller ship every time.

The Volendam was lovely the last time I sailed her (last cruise before a drydock). I have her booked again, too.

In any case, I have been on both ships. I prefer the Volendam. I like the smaller ships. the Ooesterdam was nice - I had no complaints. But I did find the service better on the Volendam, the food better and the staff warmer. Maybe it's because it's a smaller ship and they get to 'know' you?

I agree with this and we were saying the same thing just the other day!

Well, my choice would be the Oosterdam. I love that ship, they have an awesome crew and officers. Wonderful food. I like the Vista ships better than the 'R' Class ships. They have a really nice piano bar, Northern Lights, aft cabins with huge balconies.

I prefer the Volendam to the OOSTERDAM. The Volendam goes inside passage, The Volendam goes to Glacier Bay, The Volendam leaves on Wednesday and I prefer the "R" class to the "Vista" class.

We prefer the Volendam, the Wednesday departure from Vancouver and the size of the ship.

Later this year we will have sailed over 100 days on the Volendam.

I have to agree with you too jeanette, by the way how are you both?

We have sailed on both, and prefer the Volendam over the Oosterdam. Much more friendlier staff, the atrium in the Oosterdam is ridiculously small for a larger ship.

There was good points for the Oosterdam, but the Volendam wins hands down. We had a balcony on the Oosterdam which was nice, but I reckon the bathroom was smaller than the Volendam.

I have to agree with you too jeanette, by the way how are you both?

We have sailed on both, and prefer the Volendam over the Oosterdam. Much more friendlier staff, the atrium in the Oosterdam is ridiculously small for a larger ship.

There was good points for the Oosterdam, but the Volendam wins hands down. We had a balcony on the Oosterdam which was nice, but I reckon the bathroom was smaller than the Volendam.

Hi Leanne,

We are fine,.... busy with various projects.

Hope you are all well.

Regularly checking to see if your review is on Cruise Critic.

After the fortnight on the Oosterdam,we both prefer the Volendam:D

Hi Leanne,

We are fine,.... busy with various projects.

Hope you are all well.

Regularly checking to see if your review is on Cruise Critic.

After the fortnight on the Oosterdam,we both prefer the Volendam:D

Hi Jeanette

I have been very quiet, had a fall, which has been very uncomfortable. Send me an email hlrus at live dot com dot au

I have also been on both and prefer the Volendam because it's smaller. The best cruise ever was with the Volendam and we were on the Oosterdam when it had the broken izopod. But even discounting those facts, I would still choose the Volendam if the itinerary was comparable.

Both ships are fine. I like the Volendam mainly for the size. I love the balconies in the Neptune suites, but I don't love the location of the Pinnacle. On the Volendam the Pinnacle is buried deep within the Promenade deck near the theater. That said I have sailed on the Oosterdam at least six times and would not have returned if I didn't enjoy her.

Go with the itinerary that you prefer.

Archived