Final payment made and now price drops!

Ceepot

I've just noticed that the price of my cruise has dropped by around £500 each. :eek: I remember reading somewhere on these helpful pages that the TA will obtain a refund of the difference. Is this something that just applies to our US friends or does it apply to the UK travel agent system as well?

Anyway, I have just fired off an email to my TA in the hope they will be able to do something. Fingers crossed!

I've just noticed that the price of my cruise has dropped by around £500 each. :eek: I remember reading somewhere on these helpful pages that the TA will obtain a refund of the difference. Is this something that just applies to our US friends or does it apply to the UK travel agent system as well?

Anyway, I have just fired off an email to my TA in the hope they will be able to do something. Fingers crossed!

It totally depends on the promotion (US). Many times these price drops are for new bookings only. If that is the case and it applies to UK bookings your agent might be able to get you an upgrade to a higher grade cabin category.

Non-refundable payments in the travel biz…I’m shocked!

Airlines and top hotels and resorts regularly post availability and prices. Paying early secures availability and choices that many not be there on short notice. Getting a refund or discounted price change is not usually available at hotels, resorts, airlines…

You paid a price to secure the room category and reservation you wanted and were willing to pay. You didn't know the price might be discounted nor if availability was doable at that time...thus the early booking.

Just prior to sailing and after refund period has expired, the new discounted rate may not be as attractive a class or location as the one you’ve secured…or perhaps it is and that’s the breaks for booking early privileges.

Prior to the end of the cancellation period, if/when the price drops we’ve always been able to get the lower price which airlines, resorts and hotels usually won’t afford you. In our opinion, early booking still allows us to take full advantage of price changes in our favor for much longer time than the final payment period is. We think that’s a pretty good deal.

And we’ve been some of those last minute bookers at deep discount too…so it’s a 2-way street in our opinion.

Supply and demand and sometimes bad marketing or not good pricing make for empty cabins prior to sailing. Cruise lines wanna fill those rooms as the cost to operate the ship is little changed by 5% or 10% fewer cruisers.

Perhaps calling your TA or Seabourn might get you a cabin upgrade or token amenity in light of the price change? Or, perhaps not.

“An empty room is revenue lost forever.”

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Ceepot - we tend to book in time to get a good choice of suite, plus the best available flight (this can be a problem and can result in say going out of one airport and back to the other - this of course only if you use Seabourn's flights). Previously we have asked our Agent if they can do anything after full payment, and sometimes this seems to be possible. No guarantee, but worth a try. We personally prefer not to take pot luck, but fully understand why some do.

Thank you for your replies.

I booked this cruise nearly a year ago as it is for a special occasion and, as lincslady says, I wanted to book my flights as well. I am aware of all the benefits that booking early brings. I was asking as I thought I'd read somewhere that our US cousins always seem to pay the lowest price without even having to prod their agent. I now realise that this is done before final payment is made.

I have already been in touch with my TA who are contacting Seabourn. Apparently they consider these things on a 'case by case basis'. Apologies if my post ruffled a few feathers. We don't have that much money as some on this forum, and every little helps!

Warm regards

Ceepot

I have a rule of never checking the price after final payment. That way I don't get frustrated!

Same goes for airline tickets. Once I have purchased, I do NOT check the price again. It is just a good way to raise your blood pressure.

I have a rule of never checking the price after final payment. That way I don't get frustrated!

Same goes for airline tickets. Once I have purchased, I do NOT check the price again. It is just a good way to raise your blood pressure.

If you've booked a SB cruise and later the listed price drops and it's before final payment time, you ought be able to get the reduction...if your agent refuses or you seem not to be able to get the reduced price, I'd suggest cancelling the more expensive booking and re-booking at the lower advertised price.

As that would be redundant, that illustrates why it's not necessary to push hard for the reduced price that you will get if you request it.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

If you book in the UK there is a penalty for canceling anytime after booking -- unlike in the US where there is no penalty up until 90 days pre cruise.So unless the discount is significant it would likely not be financially advantageous to cancel and rebook.

My cruise just dropped by over $3000 for the 3 of us.

Spoke with SB and the price has been adjusted.

Very happy camper. it was worth booking early to secure the cabin we wanted but an upgrade was on offer. I'm so so about the upgrade as space will be a good thing, but we'll lose on location. With 3 of us space may be a big plus.

Payment is due in mid april, can't wait!

I am pleased to say that SB have been in touch with my UK based TA. They have upgraded me from a V3 to a V6, where the price reflects what I originally paid. After a small discussion on the location of the new suite, I have been moved again to a nice suite on deck 7.

Thank you for all your comments. :)

I booked direct.

I no longer use a TA as IME, despite having a fantastic TA after years of searching, we were no longer getting good deals on land based components. The prices were lower than booking direct about 25% of the time, but the rooms allocated were always not in a good location within the property (often right beside the elevator). I asked him to price the cruise and he had exactly the same rate as direct.

There were also several occasions where we used pre booked transfers specifically as we had an unusual luggage item and despite having confirmation on the documentation, the provider was unable to to carry the item.

We also had a few issues turning up at hotels with no record of our bookings.

The hassle of doing things myself and sometimes costing a fraction more, is worth the peace of mind knowing that if it goes pears shaped it's my fault.

No, I didn't. We used him for 8 years with great success, lots of upgrades, great properties and rates.

He was excellent, however the market here being what it is, and the move away from using a TA in general in Australia has impacted on the bargains and offers they can access. In most places there are limited number of TA's available, Flight Centre has seen to that. (Lowest price, but no way any option for Luxury travel)

If the TA purchases from 3rd property wholesaler (BTW the ones he used were great in the past), and their service declines then this is the issue. In the end he was making direct bookings with properties for us, which gave me excellent service but effectively had him working for free. It isn't in my mind set to have someone work for nothing.

I actually enjoy doing my planning research and bookings. it's part of the adventure and usually i can secure a good price and a great property.

I think we must differentiate between cuts made before final payment due and those after. If in the last few weeks before sailings there are still unsold cabins it is reasonable for those to be sold off cheaply to fill the ship, and it cannot be expected to then offer everybody a reduction as it could be more profitable to sail with empty cabins.If somebody wants to wait until those last few weeks on the slim chance of getting a reduction good luck to them but most likely the will not be sailing:D

All I can say is that, just once, and a couple of years ago (maybe preHAL) we did actually get some money back from Seabourn after final payment. We were surprised and pleased, but it may well not be done now. However, unless you ask your Agent NOT to put you down for a very last minute no-choice of suite upgrade, this is always a possibility. But, as others have said, it might not be in an area you like, and you are not given the option to refuse! (I am referring to the UK here, don't know if it applies elsewhere).

we had a similar experience last year. My TA was unable to do anything. Seabourn did upgrade is to the worst A2 cabin (we were booked into an A Guarentee)they could have given us. I hope you have better luck than we did.

Archived