Carnival Dream Stranded in St. Martin

[quote name='Coolcruise02'][SIZE=4][U][B]Exceptions can be made![/B][/U][/SIZE] I read in an article about the people on the Costa Concordia and how they all flew home without passports because of the special circumstances. And, they all HAD passports but where on the sunken ship. just saying...................[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]You are quite right!! Exceptions can be made under some emergency situations[SIZE=4].

[SIZE=4]During the Iranian crisis way back when, hubby and I assisted [SIZE=4]in the emergency evacuations of US and other nationals who were air lifted out of Iran, through Hellinicon Air Force Base being their first stop.

[SIZE=4]I'd say at least 50% of the people who came off the flights (cannot remember how many flights there were as we were working feverishly to help them, so did not pay attention) without any identification at all:eek:

[SIZE=4]I remember one poor lady who had [SIZE=4]just given bi[SIZE=4]rth the day before in an Iranian Hospital. They[SIZE=4] were secretly removed not only from the hospital but whisked away just moments before the Irani[SIZE=4]an Insurgents (for lack of a better word.) came to get her. Anyway, she had literally nothing but a hospital gown on when she got off the plane. No ID, no Passport, Nothing......

[SIZE=4]Same with one man who came in with only his underwear on and bare footed... So many were in almost the same state of undress because of the late hour that they were secreted, whi[SIZE=4]sked away from wherever they had been to the planes.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]But, the US [SIZE=4]Embassy[/SIZE] in Athens di[SIZE=4]d a Great jo[SIZE=4]b in taking [SIZE=4]care of all who came through and got them on their way as fast as they could refuel the planes to take Rheinmein (spelling?) Air Force Base in Germany.

[SIZE=4]I remember that when the last plane left we'd been there at the Air Base assisting for less than 18 hours...

Joanie
[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Coolcruise02']Sorry but it looks like the Passport issue is a non-issue.

As per John Healds Facebook post:

Some of you have been asking about passports and concerened about family members who traveled on the Carnival Dream without them. Let me assure you that we are currently interfacing with St. Maarten and U.S. authorities to work through that and do not anticipate any issues with guests re-entering the U.S. who do not have passports.

Thanks[/quote]

they "are currently interfacing with authorities." Corporate-speak for trying to making arrangements. And I'm sure they will. But while they interface with officials about pax without passports, I bet people with passports can get on planes.

[quote name='SwissMyst']One wonders what is really going on behind all the lurid, accusatory rushes to judgement we often see, long before sufficient facts are ascertained.

Anti-Hal? Anti-corporation? Anti-CCL? Anti-establishmentarianism? :confused:[/quote]

The thread on the carnival board is 30-somthing pages long, with the usual arguments about whether the compensation is enough. :eek:

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Were it me, I'd made lemonade out of lemons and stay a few extra days in St. Maarten...at least enjoy the rest of my vacation![/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

PLEASE teach me how to have such a wonderful attitude, my husband would even pay you :)

[quote name='VallyD']PLEASE teach me how to have such a wonderful attitude, my husband would even pay you :)[/QUOTE]

I think she just did. ;) Eg: You planned 10 days cruise vacation. The cruise was cut short a few days, but you got your full 10 days vacation. Just like you can't plan the weather, those 10 days may well have been raining the whole time. So you just go with it. I think this is how it works. Like the AA prayer - learning to know the difference between what you can and cannot control in one's life.

The 10 days are still yours because this is what you booked off for yourself. Something happened, so plans how to spend those 10 days have changed. Whether you still consider all of these 10 days "vacation" or a full-scale disaster can be a subjective, not necessarily an objective choice.

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]You are quite right!! Exceptions can be made under some emergency situations[SIZE=4].

[SIZE=4]During the Iranian crisis way back when, hubby and I assisted [SIZE=4]in the emergency evacuations of US and other nationals who were air lifted out of Iran, through Hellinicon Air Force Base being their first stop.

[SIZE=4]I'd say at least 50% of the people who came off the flights (cannot remember how many flights there were as we were working feverishly to help them, so did not pay attention) without any identification at all:eek:

[SIZE=4]I remember one poor lady who had [SIZE=4]just given bi[SIZE=4]rth the day before in an Iranian Hospital. They[SIZE=4] were secretly removed not only from the hospital but whisked away just moments before the Irani[SIZE=4]an Insurgents (for lack of a better word.) came to get her. Anyway, she had literally nothing but a hospital gown on when she got off the plane. No ID, no Passport, Nothing......

[SIZE=4]Same with one man who came in with only his underwear on and bare footed... So many were in almost the same state of undress because of the late hour that they were secreted, whi[SIZE=4]sked away from wherever they had been to the planes.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]But, the US [SIZE=4]Embassy[/SIZE] in Athens di[SIZE=4]d a Great jo[SIZE=4]b in taking [SIZE=4]care of all who came through and got them on their way as fast as they could refuel the planes to take Rheinmein (spelling?) Air Force Base in Germany.

[SIZE=4]I remember that when the last plane left we'd been there at the Air Base assisting for less than 18 hours...

Joanie
[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

WOW, what an adventure! :)

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Were it me, I'd made lemonade out of lemons and stay a few extra days in St. Maarten...at least enjoy the rest of my vacation![/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

And go watch all those charter planes land from Maho Beach! :D

[quote name='Boytjie']And go watch all those charter planes land from Maho Beach! :D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]oh my!!! I went on a week's vacation to St. Maarten with three women friends about 10 years ago...one's husband was a captain for American Airlines so we "Special Deal" at the hotel next to the airport. We used the beach in front of the hotel which I believe adjoined the one near the airport. What a sight that was when the planes landed....and NOISY![/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='3rdGenCunarder']they "are currently interfacing with authorities." Corporate-speak for trying to making arrangements. And I'm sure they will. But while they interface with officials about pax without passports, I bet people with passports can get on planes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

This does not constitute a non-issue.

[quote name='KirkNC']Not sure how many more of these Carnival can stand.[/QUOTE]

The cruise industry in general. Every incident is a black eye on the entire industry.

At last report, passengers were being flown back to the States. They certainly don't want another five day Triumph nightmare.

The Carnival blog says it was only a back up generator that was being tested while in port and wasn't working right. The main ship generator was working as usual and all ship powers were up. They couldn't chance going out to sea without the back up and so they are still in port until repairs are done.

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Wonder what the latest is[/SIZE][/FONT] :confused:[/QUOTE]

Kris Anderson is a local news TV reporter who happens to be on the Dream for his vacation.

He phoned in a live interview at Noon today.

He said that this was nothing (and he kept repeating that) like the Triumph.

He said everything was normal ( and he kept repeating that) and if they were not docked in St Maarten...no one would even know there was an issue.

They are enjoying all the normal services and activities.

He said they are being kept informed. They had already been told that they will be flown via private charter to Orlando and that charter buses would be waiting to take them to Port Canaveral.

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true

From what has been posted on the first page of CC, Carnival is flying all the passengers home on chartered flights (this was their last call) and is offering compensation for 3 days on this cruise, and 50% off on the next. The problem is with the backup generator apparently, but Carnival wants to return to FL with an empty ship "just in case." Better safe than sorry. Read the poster from the first page of CC for an "unbiased" opinion…not the news which wants to sensationalize it all again.

[quote name='Coolcruise02']Kris Anderson is a local news TV reporter who happens to be on the Dream for his vacation.

He said everything was normal ( and he kept repeating that) and if they were not docked in St Maarten...no one would even know there was an issue.

He said they are being kept informed. They had already been told that they will be flown via private charter to Orlando and that charter buses would be waiting to take them to Port Canaveral.

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear this. Good call by Carnival to fly people home. Still a shame that pepole's vacations were inconvenienced & by all accounts, cut short.

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue][B]You are quite right!! Exceptions can be made under some emergency situations[SIZE=4].[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]During the Iranian crisis way back when, hubby and I assisted [SIZE=4]in the emergency evacuations of US and other nationals who were air lifted out of Iran, through Hellinicon Air Force Base being their first stop.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]I'd say at least 50% of the people who came off the flights (cannot remember how many flights there were as we were working feverishly to help them, so did not pay attention) without any identification at all:eek:[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=4]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]I remember one poor lady who had [SIZE=4]just given bi[SIZE=4]rth the day before in an Iranian Hospital. They[SIZE=4] were secretly removed not only from the hospital but whisked away just moments before the Irani[SIZE=4]an Insurgents (for lack of a better word.) came to get her. Anyway, she had literally nothing but a hospital gown on when she got off the plane. No ID, no Passport, Nothing......[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]Same with one man who came in with only his underwear on and bare footed... So many were in almost the same state of undress because of the late hour that they were secreted, whi[SIZE=4]sked away from wherever they had been to the planes.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=4]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]But, the US [SIZE=4]Embassy[/SIZE] in Athens di[SIZE=4]d a Great jo[SIZE=4]b in taking [SIZE=4]care of all who came through and got them on their way as fast as they could refuel the planes to take Rheinmein (spelling?) Air Force Base in Germany.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]I remember that when the last plane left we'd been there at the Air Base assisting for less than 18 hours...[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=4]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Joanie[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/quote]

[B] An incredible experience!!!!

[/B]

[quote name='Coolcruise02']Kris Anderson is a local news TV reporter who happens to be on the Dream for his vacation.

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]
Thank you so much for this!!!! It is good to actually hear/read what is actually going an and is I as I stated in another thread, most like caused by a drunken passenger rumor mongering for attention at 3 am.........

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]
Thank you so much for this!!!! It is good to actually hear/read what is actually going an and is I as I stated in another thread, most like caused by a drunken passenger rumor mongering for attention at 3 am.........

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Why are you assuming it's a drunken passenger Joanie?

I don't get that. I imagine it was someone who a) wanted 15 minutes of fame or b) wanted to get the heck home and was willing to pay their own freight and wasn't happy they couldn't get off or c) just someone unhappy with the circumstances.

The tape I heard certainly didn't sound like a drunken passenger.

so, I suspect it is (a) 15 minutes of fame?

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true[/quote]

[B] Thanks for this post.
Very informative.

[/B]

[quote name='IRL_Joanie']
[SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Thank you so much for this!!!! It is good to actually hear/read what is actually going an and is I as I stated in another thread, most like [B]caused by a drunken passenger[/B] rumor mongering for attention at 3 am.........[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Joanie[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Joanie,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Where did you read this debacle was caused by a "drunken passenger"? Curious...because I've not seen that anywhere. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='kazu']Why are you assuming it's a drunken passenger Joanie?

I don't get that. I imagine it was someone who a) wanted 15 minutes of fame or b) wanted to get the heck home and was willing to pay their own freight and wasn't happy they couldn't get off or c) just someone unhappy with the circumstances.

The tape I heard certainly didn't sound like a drunken passenger.

so, I suspect it is (a) 15 minutes of fame?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]Jacqui, I made an assum,ption, just as many others have in varying degrees as to what happened, who is at fault etc, etc...

When I said most likely a drunken passenger it is because the first call to the USCG and CNN came in at 3 am est Friday. I assume it is a drunken passenger just because at 3 am most sane, sober passengers are going to be asleep:)

If others can make assumptions as to what, where, why, when can I not do the same?? You assume it was someone wanting 15 minutes of fame. I concur:) It could also have been your "b) wanted to get the heck home"

I do not nit pic the idea of why the call went out, I was attempting to bring a bit of levity to this thread before it erupts as so many others have recently.

EDITED: Seems to me there are a few CC members who instead of reading an entire post, decide to react to a partial post. This is not directed at Kazu, Jacqui, but others, including myself at times, who read a sentence or even 1/2 of one and post a reply without reading it all. I SAID "MOST L:IKELY!! I did NOT say HE/SHE was DRUNK!!! Please do not twist my words.

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

There are so many thought piling around in my head. I'm using piling because piling on seems to be the popular thing to do these days.....hence the media piling on to this new issue which in my mind is a non issue.
It's a social media/mob media mentality.
The Triumph was stuck in port one time waiting for parts and adrift another time for 3 hours before it was resolved prior to the Feb issue. Was there news about that? No. Now I'm not saying that I was surprised to hear about the Triumph's issues in Feb but now CCL is taking this latest incident on the chin. Rightfully or not many with a cell phone are making the most of it.How exciting! The ship is in port for heavens sake! Certainly CCL is being cautious and flying people home but no one is in distress. I'm with those of you who would be taking their luggage and passports and signing myself out. If you can leave the hospital AMA then you should darn well be able to leave the ship and officially check out if you have a passport.
Only because everyone is safe I will say now is a good time to buy CCL shares in the next couple of days for OBC. :D
I'm bad, sorry!

Archived