Carnival Dream Stranded in St. Martin

[quote name='janmcn']From what has been posted on the first page of CC, Carnival is flying all the passengers home on chartered flights (this was their last call) and is offering compensation for 3 days on this cruise, and 50% off on the next. The problem is with the backup generator apparently, but Carnival wants to return to FL with an empty ship "just in case." Better safe than sorry. Read the poster from the first page of CC for an "unbiased" opinion…[B]not the news which wants to sensationalize it all again[/B].[/quote]

tonight, ABC world news had a story about the Dream. They said very little--where she is and that there were power problems. Then they went on to say that it's been about a month since the fire on the Triumph. They talked about the Triumph and showed footage of the mess on the Triumph.

I think that's irresponsible. It's so easy for viewers to hear "Carnival Dream" and not pay a lot of attention to the story. Then viewers see the black smoke coming out of the "whale tail" and then see pictures of flooded hallways and they do NOT realize that this is old stock footage unrelated to the situation on the Dream.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]From Yahoo News:

QUOTE: [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Black][COLOR="Black"]"<SNIP>[COLOR="Black"]..............[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][B][SIZE=4]Passengers strolling about the Dutch Caribbean town of Philipsburg told The Associated Press that the power and water were out for 10-20 minutes, contradicting media reports of longer outages and unsanitary conditions.[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4]
[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=4]"We have toilets. We have water. It's no different than a regular day at sea," Tasha Larson, 31, from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, said after disembarking with her boyfriend to spend the day in St. Maarten.[/SIZE][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Black]<SNIP>"[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [/COLOR]UNQUOTE

Full story here: [URL]http://news.yahoo.com/carnival-flying-stranded-cruise-passengers-home-222100003.html[/URL]

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

WOW the hits keep coming. Carnival Legend is suffering propulsion problems and skipping ports to make it to Tampa on time.

Just released by CCL

Carnival Legend is experiencing a technical issue with one of the ship's Azipod units that is affecting the vessel's sailing speed. The ship's safety systems and hotel services are all functioning normally.

The vessel made its scheduled call today in Mahogany Bay, Roatan, in addition to visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya earlier in the week. Because of the reduction in sailing speed, tomorrow's visit to Grand Cayman has been cancelled and the ship will proceed to its homeport of Tampa, where it is expected to arrive on Sunday as scheduled.

Guests on the current voyage will receive a $100 per person credit and a full refund on pre-purchased shore excursions for Grand Cayman. In addition, guests will receive 50 percent off a future Carnival cruise.

Carnival Legend is currently on the last leg of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed Tampa on Sunday, March 10.

. . . I SAID "MOST L:IKELY!! I did NOT say HE/SHE was DRUNK!!! Please do not twist my words.

Why are you shouting about this? It seems most of your posts contain words in all caps, which is considered shouting when used in emails, internet boards, blogs, etc. In fact, the Guidelines on CC state:

"Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many, so please double check your caps lock key before posting."

Since it appears your caps lock isn't on, you must be doing it intentionally. Why shout when there are other methods to get your point across that don't offend others?

WOW the hits keep coming. Carnival Legend is suffering propulsion problems and skipping ports to make it to Tampa on time.

Just released by CCL

All these disabled ships in such a short period of time is a PR nightmare for Carnival. The PR Dept. has no control over fleet operations or maintenance but they are the ones who have been in damage control mode for quite some time now. I really feel for them. It has to be very stressful for them to write the press releases over and over and over again.

Jacqui, I made an assum,ption, just as many others have in varying degrees as to what happened, who is at fault etc, etc...

When I said most likely a drunken passenger it is because the first call to the USCG and CNN came in at 3 am est Friday. I assume it is a drunken passenger just because at 3 am most sane, sober passengers are going to be asleep:)

If others can make assumptions as to what, where, why, when can I not do the same?? You assume it was someone wanting 15 minutes of fame. I concur:) It could also have been your "b) wanted to get the heck home"

I do not nit pic the idea of why the call went out, I was attempting to bring a bit of levity to this thread before it erupts as so many others have recently.

EDITED: Seems to me there are a few CC members who instead of reading an entire post, decide to react to a partial post. This is not directed at Kazu, Jacqui, but others, including myself at times, who read a sentence or even 1/2 of one and post a reply without reading it all. I SAID "MOST L:IKELY!! I did NOT say HE/SHE was DRUNK!!! Please do not twist my words.

Joanie

I sometimes post at 3AM simply because I have difficulty sleeping. I assure you I am not drunk and it is outrageous to make that assumption about someone based on the time of day they post. I am not twisting your words. You do a good job of that yourself.

You should hope the person who made the call does not read your post as you have really crossed a line.

Delta is sending 4 charter planes ATL-SXM today (with 2 more on standby if needed, I'm told), in addition to the scheduled daily flight from ATL. Big planes too! Returns via MCO as someone posted earlier. Carnival used around a dozen DL charters for Triumph pax.

I don't know how other airlines code their charter flights to be able to tell if the other airline flights listed here are charters or normal service:

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KATL/TNCM

Good day for plane spotting at SXM. :)

We have a CBS reporter in Tulsa looking to speak to a passenger that was sailing on the Dream when it had issues - if you know of anyone please have them respond to me here and I will give them the contact information - thanks!

Shane

We have a CBS reporter in Tulsa looking to speak to a passenger that was sailing on the Dream when it had issues - if you know of anyone please have them respond to me here and I will give them the contact information - thanks!

Shane

And this is why people call CNN and other networks during a "disaster." A shot at their 15 min of fame.

Jacqui, I made an assum,ption, just as many others have in varying degrees as to what happened, who is at fault etc, etc...

When I said most likely a drunken passenger it is because the first call to the USCG and CNN came in at 3 am est Friday. I assume it is a drunken passenger just because at 3 am most sane, sober passengers are going to be asleep:)

If others can make assumptions as to what, where, why, when can I not do the same?? You assume it was someone wanting 15 minutes of fame. I concur:) It could also have been your "b) wanted to get the heck home"

I do not nit pic the idea of why the call went out, I was attempting to bring a bit of levity to this thread before it erupts as so many others have recently.

EDITED: Seems to me there are a few CC members who instead of reading an entire post, decide to react to a partial post. This is not directed at Kazu, Jacqui, but others, including myself at times, who read a sentence or even 1/2 of one and post a reply without reading it all. I SAID "MOST L:IKELY!! I did NOT say HE/SHE was DRUNK!!! Please do not twist my words.

Joanie

And there are certain posters on CC who crave attention, use huge lettering, type in caps and use many exclamation marks and post misinformation constantly. What's your point? That someone awake at 3 am is drunk?

And this is why people call CNN and other networks during a "disaster." A shot at their 15 min of fame.

Based on my position in the community, the reporter called me.... I have no interest in the 15 minutes of fame - but as with anyone - if you ask, I will try to reach out and help....

Joanie, I get your initial assumption because the 3am message was combined with that same passenger doing something really, really stupid. Much like the Ryndam passenger trying to drop the anchor in the wee small hours. I think you are getting unfairly piled on right now, so know there are others who are reaching out in sympathy for your initial, if unfounded, reasonable supposition.

And there are certain posters on CC who crave attention, use huge lettering, type in caps and use many exclamation marks and post misinformation constantly. What's your point? That someone awake at 3 am is drunk?

So true.

Why are you assuming it's a drunken passenger Joanie?

I don't get that. I imagine it was someone who a) wanted 15 minutes of fame or b) wanted to get the heck home and was willing to pay their own freight and wasn't happy they couldn't get off or c) just someone unhappy with the circumstances.

The tape I heard certainly didn't sound like a drunken passenger.

so, I suspect it is (a) 15 minutes of fame?

Joanie, I get your initial assumption because the 3am message was combined with that same passenger doing something really, really stupid. Much like the Ryndam passenger trying to drop the anchor in the wee small hours. I think you are getting unfairly piled on right now, so know there are others who are reaching out in sympathy for your initial, if unfounded, reasonable supposition.

I didn't think my post was 'piling on Joanie' - I just asked the question. :confused: What did this passenger do that was so stupid if you don't mind sharing please?

All these disabled ships in such a short period of time is a PR nightmare for Carnival. The PR Dept. has no control over fleet operations or maintenance but they are the ones who have been in damage control mode for quite some time now. I really feel for them. It has to be very stressful for them to write the press releases over and over and over again.

I assume by this that you're being sarcastic (LoL)....... "I really feel for them. It has to be very stressful for them to write the press releases over and over and over again."

I am just amazed that people keep sailing on Carnival, and on the Carnival Board here, Carnival is defended and justified and vindicated to no end. I don't really understand. Repeated poor and unsafe performance in any cruise line should mean their demise.

I assume by this that you're being sarcastic (LoL)....... "I really feel for them. It has to be very stressful for them to write the press releases over and over and over again."

I am just amazed that people keep sailing on Carnival, and on the Carnival Board here, Carnival is defended and justified and vindicated to no end. I don't really understand. Repeated poor and unsafe performance in any cruise line should mean their demise.

Sadly all cruise lines have mechanical problems because the ship is a machine just like our cars we drive daily. Just my personal feeling the media specifically CNN and Fox loves to follow has it out for Carnival and the cruise industry. There have been numerous time HAL has had delays and mechanical problems just a few months ago with the Zaandam. Missing ports in Mexico. I have been on so many cruises this has happened and we have all read here of delays. If you read any of the other cruise board RCI, Celebrity yes even Crystal they have all had delays and problems this is nothing new to cruising. It really has been the way it has always been. But the name Carnival is well know and yes the Triumph thing was big but honestly I think Carnival handled that situation well. I am honestly just just shocked at the wordage that CNN has used for any of this coverage. Seriously they are calling the Dream another nightmare cruise.....:eek:

The biggest problem truly is the media had this been HAL I doubt it would have made the news or if it did it would have been a small blip or at least I hope so.

As for the PR department at Carnival I feel for them but it really has nothing to do with the ships the problem is the media and those that want their 15 minutes of fame.

Sadly all cruise lines have mechanical problems because the ship is a machine just like our cars we drive daily. Just my personal feeling the media specifically CNN and Fox loves to follow has it out for Carnival and the cruise industry. There have been numerous time HAL has had delays and mechanical problems just a few months ago with the Zaandam. Missing ports in Mexico. I have been on so many cruises this has happened and we have all read here of delays. If you read any of the other cruise board RCI, Celebrity yes even Crystal they have all had delays and problems this is nothing new to cruising. It really has been the way it has always been. But the name Carnival is well know and yes the Triumph thing was big but honestly I think Carnival handled that situation well. I am honestly just just shocked at the wordage that CNN has used for any of this coverage. Seriously they are calling the Dream another nightmare cruise.....:eek:

The biggest problem truly is the media had this been HAL I doubt it would have made the news or if it did it would have been a small blip or at least I hope so.

As for the PR department at Carnival I feel for them but it really has nothing to do with the ships the problem is the media and those that want their 15 minutes of fame.

Well, CBC news has just let everyone know about the Legend's problem, so I guess Carnival has grabbed their attention too!

I always found CBC somewhat unbiased - but I guess if it's news elsewhere they have to report it too?

Wonder why they have it 'in' for Carnival? Perhaps because the 'own' Costa? Just guessing only

Mostly true but I wonder: Does the media really "have it out" for Carnival or is it that they were sensitized by the Triumph. I wonder if the Crystal Symphony had another incident like they did in Montreal or if the Enchantment of the Seas another incident like the one in Baltimore 14 months ago, or if something happened to a HAL ship, I suspect it would also be big news while it would have been at most a little blip 2 months ago.

Roy

Thank You for understand ing what I was suppositioning and why!! Definitely makes me feel that at least one member of this community can see why I said it.

And for what it's worth, I am often up roaming the ship at 3 am but I have NEVER called CNN or the USCG:D

And for those that think that ANYTIME a person uses Caps they are yelling....Why Yes I was, But IF I only Capitalize one or two words in Caps it is STRESSING my Point, Not Yelling it:) Yelling is typing the entire statement/reply/post in Caps. Stressing a point is one or 2 words all in caps because some folk just do not get the point or...........

SwissMyst, Once again I say THANK YOU!!!:)

Oh and I try not to let those Few who like to "pile" it on get to me. Sometimes they do, but I will not let them get to me for long:) I am a survivor:D:D

Joanie

Mostly true but I wonder: Does the media really "have it out" for Carnival or is it that they were sensitized by the Triumph. I wonder if the Crystal Symphony had another incident like they did in Montreal or if the Enchantment of the Seas another incident like the one in Baltimore 14 months ago, or if something happened to a HAL ship, I suspect it would also be big news while it would have been at most a little blip 2 months ago.

Roy

CCL is a corporation and there is a lot of corporation bashing going lately in the US, regardless of the inconsistent definition of what a corporation actually is. Maybe MSM sees cruising as an extension in their war against the haves vs. the have-nots?

Archived