Has this ever happened to you??????

wizard-of-roz

My TA just called - My cruise is exactly one week and one day away - He said Princess just called him and someone wants my cabin. Princess wants to move us into the exact same cabin near the elevators and stairwells and would we be willing to move so that this other couple can have our cabin?

I said, "what's the incentive for me to move?" I booked this cabin one year ago, specifically because it's a great location and someone calls one week before and wants me to move, to make them happy?"

The Princess Rep. said, "we'll be happy to give you a bottle of wine!" Really! :rolleyes: I said, "I think I need a better incentive!"

What would you do? I'm going to call them back, what would you say?

Hi Roz! I wouldn't take it...if they offer you a better room or a balcony (sure the dog would love that) I would move...but just because someone wants it. no way.... Have a great cruise....I'm going on the 4th of May (I think same cruise)

I doubt you will have contact with the people wanting your cabin. The only way they could approach you would be in your cabin. If there is a problem, I would quickly close the door and call security
I agree. If a stranger approached me like that, I'd call Security at 911 or at least report it to Security.

You mention that your TA relayed the info, but then you say the rep was very curt?

Did you talk to the rep or did your TA?

Maybe your TA wants the cabin. :rolleyes:

TA called and told me that Princess had called him. I told him to have Princess call me directly and she did.

My TA said that in the 10 years he's been doing this, this was the first time Princess had ever called with this kind of request!

Hi Roz! I wouldn't take it...if they offer you a better room or a balcony (sure the dog would love that) I would move...but just because someone wants it. no way.... Have a great cruise....I'm going on the 4th of May (I think same cruise)

I intend to have a great cruise in my very favorite cabin. You have a wonderful cruise too!

Don't waste your energy worrying about that, chances are slim to none. And if by some chance they do approach you, smile and ask these questions in this order:

When did you book?

Do you know when I booked in order to get that cabin?

Do you see Horton here?

Did you know this is his favorite cabin?

Now, tell me again, why did you want our cabin and why do you think you should have it more than us?

I still bet they won't say a peep to you; but if they do you won't get past the third question.:D

We all know what a sweet boy Horton is.....but, if you didn't know him, he's quite scary looking. I love that, especially when I'm shopping in the evening.

Honestly, I'm a lover really not a good fighter.....However, I'm bringing my SIL who has just begun mentapause and is very, very scary!!!!!!!

OMG! That is so, so funny!!!!! One of the reasons I love my cabin choice is that it's so close to the stairwell where Horton's pottybox is set-up and I can take him in my PJ's. :eek:

The cabin they were offering is further away and I'd have to pass so many more guests cabins looking like a sleepwalker!!!! :rolleyes:

I am assuming your cabin is accessible. Perhaps the reason the people are asking for it is for an accessibility reason. If you knew why they wanted your cabin, it might be helpful for your decision.

I am assuming your cabin is accessible. Perhaps the reason the people are asking for it is for an accessibility reason. If you knew why they wanted your cabin, it might be helpful for your decision.

I don't think so because the cabin the rep. was offering me was an accessible cabin. They liked the location of mine better!

I don't think so because the cabin the rep. was offering me was an accessible cabin. They liked the location of mine better!
I guess I need some education. I thought all the accessible cabins were near stairwells. I hope it works out for the best for both.

I guess I need some education. I thought all the accessible cabins were near stairwells. I hope it works out for the best for both.

There are stairwells and then there are banks of stairs. A stairwell is located in the forward section of a ship or at the aft of a ship [some ships have them mid-ship, as well] and is used for emergency's only. Usually it will have a sign on a very, very heavy door which states "Emergency Only" or for "Staff Only."

I like my dogs pottybox to be placed in this area because I prefer the aft cabins on cruise ships and the stairwells are usually huge and can hold a pottybox without it being in the way of the stairs or being exposed to the elements or to the public.

Banks of stairs are adjacent to or near banks of elevators and these are open to the public and can be called a "stairwell" too.

Accessible cabins can be located anywhere on a ship; forward/aft/mid. and, are not always located near stairs or elevators.

It is possible they wanted 2 cabins near each other and the other location didn't have a cabin near by (such as a family).

I don't get the outrage for the request. If you don't like what they offer and won't accept any counter offers, that ends it. Maybe someone had a need and figured that they would just ask. I don't see a crime with that.

I'd hope that maybe they can/would offer something more substantial but it is what it is. You still have the cabin after all.

I had a similar experience on another cruise line (about 1 month before the cruise) and they started with just asking me to rebook. Eventually I got a great deal for moving from our cabin (and still took the same cruise.) So yeah, think positive.

It is possible they wanted 2 cabins near each other and the other location didn't have a cabin near by (such as a family).

Coral, I am more than happy to help others and make other's experiences as wonderful as my own. That said, I think Princess didn't handle this as well as they could have.

They knew I had my cabin reserved for over a year and these folks came in one week before their cruise and they want everyone else to move out of their way! Sorry, I guess I can't blame them for trying!

Maybe they want to do a b2b and were hoping to keep the same cabin.............:confused:

You are such a good sleuth! My TA called me back just one minute ago and said that's exactly what they wanted to do; they're planning a b2b2b - 3 weeks onboard the Sapphire in my cabin. They're going and they're taking the other cabin I was offered and then after I leave they'll move over to mine.

If Princess had offered me a full suite I would have happily moved.....or OBC, a more interesing insentive may have done it! A bottle of wine.....I don't think so!

There are stairwells and then there are banks of stairs. A stairwell is located in the forward section of a ship or at the aft of a ship [some ships have them mid-ship, as well] and is used for emergency's only. Usually it will have a sign on a very, very heavy door which states "Emergency Only" or for "Staff Only."

I like my dogs pottybox to be placed in this area because I prefer the aft cabins on cruise ships and the stairwells are usually huge and can hold a pottybox without it being in the way of the stairs or being exposed to the elements or to the public.

Banks of stairs are adjacent to or near banks of elevators and these are open to the public and can be called a "stairwell" too.

Accessible cabins can be located anywhere on a ship; forward/aft/mid. and, are not always located near stairs or elevators.

Thanks for the education. If it were me, I think I would stay put. I can only imagine all the issues with supporting your dog. I think I know the aft stairwell, as we stayed in Cabin B746 on the Sapphire, which is across from the Grand Suite. I used it as a shortcut to the Aloha Deck. When I said accessible cabin, I meant the larger entry wheelchair-accessible cabins. The Sapphire deck plan shows them close to the forward elevators. Enjoy your cruise.

Roz,

Hi my name is Stephanie and I am booked on the same cruise. I noticed over 2 weeks ago that it was sold out. I am on a guarantee and have not received a cabin assignment, nor any emails. I found out the change of hours in SF from the roll call. I had my TA call last week on they said I "should" get a cabin, it just may not be until I get to the ship. Although I have had to wait til I got to the ship to get a cabin one time that sailing had many rooms still available. My TA asked, so you are sure she will get a cabin, they admitted sometimes they are over booked. If I am going to get bumped I would prefer to make the arrangements now. So i guess my questions is do you think these people were just booking now, or had decided to add the other cruises to this booking?

I don't get the outrage for the request. If you don't like what they offer and won't accept any counter offers, that ends it. Maybe someone had a need and figured that they would just ask. I don't see a crime with that.

I'd hope that maybe they can/would offer something more substantial but it is what it is. You still have the cabin after all.

I had a similar experience on another cruise line (about 1 month before the cruise) and they started with just asking me to rebook. Eventually I got a great deal for moving from our cabin (and still took the same cruise.) So yeah, think positive.

Who's outraged.....no outrage....just a bit curious at the request with nothing for me! I like your attitude though!

Thanks for the education. If it were me, I think I would stay put. I can only imagine all the issues with supporting your dog. I think I know the aft stairwell, as we stayed in Cabin B746 on the Sapphire, which is across from the Grand Suite. I used it as a shortcut to the Aloha Deck. When I said accessible cabin, I meant the larger entry wheelchair-accessible cabins. The Sapphire deck plan shows them close to the forward elevators. Enjoy your cruise.

They're also located in the aft of the ship. And, those doors could NEVER be opened by someone in a wheelchair. Which is why they're not recommended for most folks who cruise with a Service Dog and use a wheelchair......unless they have a wife [like me] who was built to bare fine baby!!!!!

They're also located in the aft of the ship. And, those doors could NEVER be opened by someone in a wheelchair. Which is why they're not recommended for most folks who cruise with a Service Dog and use a wheelchair......unless they have a wife [like me] who was built to bare fine baby!!!!!
Found them. Now I know exactly what you mean.

The Princess Rep. said, "we'll be happy to give you a bottle of wine!" Really! :rolleyes: I said, "I think I need a better incentive!"

What would you do? I'm going to call them back, what would you say?

I wonder if it was the other couple that offered the wine to begin with? What if you didn't even drink wine... ? lol

Roz,

Hi my name is Stephanie and I am booked on the same cruise. I noticed over 2 weeks ago that it was sold out. I am on a guarantee and have not received a cabin assignment, nor any emails. I found out the change of hours in SF from the roll call. I had my TA call last week on they said I "should" get a cabin, it just may not be until I get to the ship. Although I have had to wait til I got to the ship to get a cabin one time that sailing had many rooms still available. My TA asked, so you are sure she will get a cabin, they admitted sometimes they are over booked. If I am going to get bumped I would prefer to make the arrangements now. So i guess my questions is do you think these people were just booking now, or had decided to add the other cruises to this booking?

You will not get bumped, Princess cruises are frequently oversold and they have the procedure down to a science. ;)

Archived