Valid picture ID for ports?

racnwdow

Was looking at a Epic Daily and it said that you needed to take a valid photo ID and your guest key card to get back on ship.

Isn't your picture already on file and they can see it when you check back in? Or is this an RCI thing? Do we really need to take our drivers license with us on shore?

On days with a port stop, the Freestyle daily will have a statement that says, "when going ashore, carry a photo ID and your room key card". However, the photo ID is only required by the local port authorities, not NCL. As you said, the key card already has you picture scanned into it. And....the need for a photo ID by local port authorities varies. You seldom need to show one when returning through their security to the ship. However, on a few occasions one will be required. Cozumel has required one occasionally. However, this last time, a sign said have a photo ID available, but then it was not asked for. For a photo ID, it should be some type government (drivers license, passport, etc) I would assume.

Was looking at a Epic Daily and it said that you needed to take a valid photo ID and your guest key card to get back on ship.

Isn't your picture already on file and they can see it when you check back in? Or is this an RCI thing? Do we really need to take our drivers license with us on shore?

You need the photo ID to gain access to the pier area and your key card to gain access to the ship. Some ports are more diligent than others and this may be due to local threat levels.

We always make a copy of our passports and DW has them laminated. We bring the copies ashore (or when ever on a land based vacation) with us and leave the originals in our cabin safe.

Have never used them as a form of pic. ID, wondering if port security would not consider them as valid photo ID because they are copies of?

We always have our other original photo ID's drivers license, and health card (Ontario) in our possession at all times, so just curious if anyone else has tried to use a passport copy as photo ID?

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks for the info. We usually do not take our ID's or credit cards into the ports with us. Just something to worry about having stolen or lost when we are at the beach. Guess we will have to rethink the ID for th is trip.

I took my drivers license with me everytime I got off the ship and was never asked once for it.

As others have already said, there are a number of ports where the local authorities require you to show a picture ID along with your cruise card when entering the secure area around the ship--or in the case of Nassau, as soon as you enter the port building. The strictest enforcement I have ever seen was in Bermuda (Royal Dockyard)--anyone who failed to heed the multiple notices given onboard and did not have a picture ID was pulled aside in the terminal to be patted down and had any bags they were carrying dumped out to be searched by port security.

Just returned from Western Caribbean on the Dawn and was never asked for ID other than the ship card when returning in Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya or Cozumel. We did bring our passport cards ashore as photo ID, though, just in case. We left our actual passports in the safe in the cabin.

RCI? This is the NCL board.

Before you get back to the ship, you will have to go through port security. This is where you will need the photo ID. Some ports require it, some do not. I take my driver's license.

AS mentioned, I've rarely been asked for a picture ID normally just a room key. Now in saying that, I have been asked for a ID.

When I leave the ship, I do DL, one credit card (depending of course if it's just an excursion or not), cash and one of my waterproof "wallets" as I normally go for beach days.

I always make sure I have swimming suits with pockets with velcro enclosures on my suit. My beach bag consists of my backpack with towels, water, sunscreen, cigarettes, cheap watch. If someone steals my beach bag it's no big deal.

I guess I never really pay attention to which specific ports require the id and which ones don't. I always assume that I will need a photo id to get through security on the pier, so I always take my driver's license (at the very least).

We always bring our driver's licenses with us but I'm not sure what to do about our passports anymore. What if we miss the ship for some reason such as a medical emergency? I do worry about them being lost or stolen but they won't do us any good in the safe on the ship if we have to fly home at a later date.

Last time in St. Thomas I forgot my driver's license and DH almost had to go get it on the ship while I waited for him to come back, but the port authorities did let me get back on without it. I won't forget again although it wasn't big deal, just would have been a hassle for DH because I forgot.

I don't take my passport off the ship but good points made about what if we miss the ship?

I've cruised in northern and southern Europe, most of the way around South America, and to multiple Caribbean ports. The ONLY time the port asked for a picture ID was in Puerto Rico.........it was also the only time my 7" x 5" cloth bag was searched...........they said it was for weapons! Interestingly, the was the PR police while we were REBOARDING the ship; they didn't seem to care what we were taking off with us!

Maybe we Canadians just look dangerous???

I took my drivers license with me everytime I got off the ship and was never asked once for it.

We take our DL too. But we have been checked in multiple ports including Nassau, Saint John, and Key West. I'm sure there were others but those were the ones I specifically remembered.

Do you mean their birth certificate? I thought that a social security card was not valid documentation.

S&S card = Sign & Sail card, which doubles as your room key. It is issued to each passenger at check-in on embarkation day.

Archived