Just back from Ocean Princess in Tahiti. WOW!

ottawapuppy

We're just back from a 10-day cruise on Ocean Princess in Tahiti and French Polynesia.

To sum up the cruise: WOW!

The ports on this cruise were absolutely amazing. The scenery and landscape of the islands is breathtaking. We did some great excursion (booked on our own and through the ship) and visited some beautiful spots.

I had my doubts about cruising on such a small ship (I love the facilities and options available on a larger ship) but I must admit the experience was outstanding.

I've posted some pictures and my journal from the cruise on our web site at www.cruisenotebook.com (click the Ocean Princess link on the right-hand side of the web page). I also uploaded the Princess Patter daily newsletters if you want to see what the schedule of events was like during the sailing.

If anyone has any questions about the ports or the ship, please ask.

Mike

We're just back from a 10-day cruise on Ocean Princess in Tahiti and French Polynesia.

The ports on this cruise were absolutely amazing. The scenery and landscape of the islands is breathtaking. We did some great excursion (booked on our own and through the ship) and visited some beautiful spots.

I had my doubts about cruising on such a small ship (I love the facilities and options available on a larger ship) but I must admit the experience was outstanding.

I've posted some pictures and my journal from the cruise on our web site at www.cruisenotebook.com (click the Ocean Princess link on the right-hand side of the web page). I also uploaded the Princess Patter daily newsletters if you want to see what the schedule of events was like during the sailing.

Mike

Thank you for posting. A cruise in this region is on my want to do list. I am like you in that I typically enjoy the larger cruise ship experience and not sure if I would enjoy the smaller ships. What did you find outstanding about the experience? How would you compare a large ship/small ship cruising experience? Any particular ports you liked more than others?

With the small ships (Ocean & Pacific Princess), everything is close. Most of the public rooms are on the 5th, 9th and 10th decks. So it in not a long walk anywhere.

You get to know the staff and the passengers much better. Someone you have breakfast with on Monday could be across the aisle on a tour on Wednesday.

Thanks for taking so many fantastic photos and sharing them here.

I am booked on my first Ocean Princess cruise-Venice to Rome in September 2014 and have the aft suite just below you (6088). The suite looks very spacious and well furnished as do the public rooms you show.

You have whetted my appetite....originally I was disappointed that there wasn't a Grand Class vessel offering 7 day cruises and thought "oh,well, it's the itinerary that counts" but your photos and big smiles on board have won me over to the Ocean.

Thank you!

Norris (who is sailing on the Royal a few months before the Ocean, so I will go from the biggest to the smallest in the same year. Camera and camcorder in hand, of course.)

Mike

Love your pictures. We were in 7114 five years ago. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on that cruise. We're going back on the Ocean in January 2014 for the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise and then staying on board for another French Polynesia cruise. This time we won't be in "our owner's suite".

I see you are on the Reflection on November 1st. So our we.

Very much appreciate you posting about your Ocean Princess cruise. Not many postings about Ocean Princess so glad you took the time to do it. Your photos are great. Looks like you had a wonderful time! We will be on Ocean Princess in August in the British Isles. We will also be sailing from Valparaiso to Papeete on Crystal Symphony in 2014. Your photos of the resorts in Moorea and Bora Bora were very helpful.

Thanks for posting the link to your photos/blog. I enjoyed looking through the photos and reading about your trip. We will be on the Pacific Princess next April sailing from Tahiti to Vancouver. Having not sailed on a small ship, I'm looking forward to the experience.

Thanks so much for the photos etc.--Our first cruise from Tahiti was on the Tahitian Princess--probably in 2205--we went on the 10 day run four years in a row--staying at the IC Bora Bora in an OWB pre cruise and then wonderful suites such as yours--for some reason 6088 is still my favorite--we've stayed 3 or 4 times in it and another time at the other side on Deck 6 and another on Deck 7 for one 10 day run then moved to our favorite 6088. Soooo--we have taken the cruise 6 times and in 2011 we took it twice and haven't been back for a couple of years--I'm sure you enjoyed entertaining in the suite--great place for sailaway and have had a couple of meet and greets there--

Anyway, I'm jealous of your wonderful trip--Thanks for the photos, etc.

Nancy:D:D

My first trip to the islands was when Bloody Mary's just opened--

What did you find outstanding about the experience? How would you compare a large ship/small ship cruising experience? Any particular ports you liked more than others?

I worried a lot about crowding on the smaller ship. I know that sounds funny, since people say that is why they don't like large ships. On Oceaen Princess, the pool was never busy, even on sea days. We never waited more than a minute or two for a table in the buffet to clear out. There was only ever two or three people in the gym when I was there. Maybe it was the crowd, or the pace of the cruise which had many ports, but whatever it was, it worked for me.

They "said" the sailing was sold out, I ma not sure that is true anymore, since I have not been on a cruise that wasn't "sold out" in the last few years.

On this itinerary, I'd say Bora Bora was my favourite stop. Maybe it was becuase our excursion was so awesome. Each island did have a somewhat unique personality. There was something to like in each place. Really though, you have to get on an excursion; the piers were often at the end of gravel roads in the middle of nowhere.

Mike

Love your pictures. We were in 7114 five years ago. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on that cruise. We're going back on the Ocean in January 2014 for the Hawaii to Tahiti cruise and then staying on board for another French Polynesia cruise. This time we won't be in "our owner's suite".

I see you are on the Reflection on November 1st. So our we.

It is going to be difficult to go back to a "normal" room after such a fantastic suite. It really was increduble. That balcony was CRAZY!

Yes, we will be on Reflection for the Nov 1 crossing back to Florida. It will be our honeymoon. We're flying into Rome a few days early, then taking the sailing back. I love the Caribbean ports at the end. We crossed the Atlantic on Eclipse last year and loved it.

See you in November!

Mike

. Your photos of the resorts in Moorea and Bora Bora were very helpful.

Loved those resorts, they were so well maintained. You had the pay for access, but you got food and drink for the value of the pass which worked out well for us. Great beach and great lunch, what's not to like!!

Taxis were cheap to the resorts from the piers.

Mike

Archived