2014 cruise on Summit which itinerary is best

sdnich

I am looking at two different cruises on the Summit next year both out of San Juan Puerto Rico. One with stops in St Croix ,St Kitts,Dominica Grenada and St.Thomas. The second cruise goes to Barbados, St Lucia,Antigua ,St Marteen and St Thomas. We have not been to any of these islands so it will all be new to us .love to hear so feedback

Booked the first itinerary only because it is our school holiday and I'm a teacher. March 1st departure, if I'd had my pick though I'd choose the other as I love Barbados and St. Lucia. There are a few on our roll call doing B2B so they can do both. ;)

I just did both weeks in a b2b and loved all the stops. It was so hard to choose, we just did both. Not sure if there is a price difference? I say the second week was the better islands for me. It also has a sea day on Sunday or day 2 to allow you to unwind before you hit the ports. Tough choice, but both are just as fun.

Bill

I like the second set of islands better. From the ones that I've been to. And I've always wanted to go to Barbados but being a teacher, I'm stuck to certain weeks and celebrity & rccl never seem to be going to that island during my week off.

Hate to differ but we prefer the first--that's the one we're going on! I've been to all of the islands on both itineraries except for one, and way prefer St. Kitts and Dominica (more authentic, less touristy) to Barbados and St. Lucia. Totally did not care for Antigua--dry and deserty, not at all lush, and unfriendly people. Barbados is very developed, very civilized--nice beaches but overall not our cup of tea. On the first: two USVI islands, what could be bad? Lush and beautiful, with the possibility of an excursion to St. John. Plus for us, the prospect of going to Grenada where we've never been--very exciting. Looks absolutely gorgeous from photos and definitely less touristy than most (you see where we lean towards).

Good luck with your choice!

We have not been to St. Kitts and Dominica, but loved Grenada, St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua.

St. Thomas is nice, but not as authentically Caribbean.

Grenada and St. Lucia to me are more authentic. The wildlife and scenery is super. Barbados is cool because it has much to offer. We loved Orchid World in the center of the island. Also, good to go to the Eastern side of the island.

Antigua has great scenery, just not lush vegetation and the people seemed friendly to me. There is a lot of history, since it was Admiral Nelson's HQ.

Booked the first itinerary only because it is our school holiday and I'm a teacher. March 1st departure, if I'd had my pick though I'd choose the other as I love Barbados and St. Lucia. There are a few on our roll call doing B2B so they can do both. ;)

we booked the same itinerary. I'm not in the school system but my son is on Spring break that week and his daycare closes as well... so we don't really have the choice of taking one week of vacation...might as well travel!!

We are very excited about the itinerary, can't wait!!!!:D

Hate to differ but we prefer the first--that's the one we're going on! I've been to all of the islands on both itineraries except for one, and way prefer St. Kitts and Dominica (more authentic, less touristy) to Barbados and St. Lucia. Totally did not care for Antigua--dry and deserty, not at all lush, and unfriendly people. Barbados is very developed, very civilized--nice beaches but overall not our cup of tea. On the first: two USVI islands, what could be bad? Lush and beautiful, with the possibility of an excursion to St. John. Plus for us, the prospect of going to Grenada where we've never been--very exciting. Looks absolutely gorgeous from photos and definitely less touristy than most (you see where we lean towards).

Good luck with your choice!

I found the people in Antigua to be really friendly. I thought they were really nice and felt that the beaches there were amazing. So pretty.

I am looking at two different cruises on the Summit next year both out of San Juan Puerto Rico. One with stops in St Croix ,St Kitts,Dominica Grenada and St.Thomas. The second cruise goes to Barbados, St Lucia,Antigua ,St Marteen and St Thomas. We have not been to any of these islands so it will all be new to us .love to hear so feedback

One way to decide is to look at the excursions offered for each port and see what agrees with your family's style. If you are shoppers, the Barbados/St Maarten/St Thomas may be to your liking. If you want to see islands less developed, do the Dominica/Grenada/St Kitts.

I've been on land vacations on all the islands on both itineraries, except for St Croix and Dominica (only a port stop here), so my choice was the first.

One way to decide is to look at the excursions offered for each port and see what agrees with your family's style. If you are shoppers, the Barbados/St Maarten/St Thomas may be to your liking. If you want to see islands less developed, do the Dominica/Grenada/St Kitts.

I've been on land vacations on all the islands on both itineraries, except for St Croix and Dominica (only a port stop here), so my choice was the first.

I guess we'll like the second itinerary then! I don't shop on vacation except for one small souvenir or two! We want beaches !!!:D

I think the excursions really make a difference to your island experience. We loved Antigua because we had the best excursion.... Kayak and snorkel with "Paddles". Choose good excursions and any island can really stand out for you.

Just got off of the Summit today. We did The St Croix, st kitts, Dominica, Grenada, st Thomas itinerary and LOVED it!! We have been to the other ports numerous times and were glad to be on this where we had only been to 2 of the ports (st Thomas and st kitts). Now after having done all of the ports we absolutely loved the one we were just on!!

I don't know if anybody can tell me where to find this answer but we were on the Summit last January and are thinking of sailing it again in November. Does anybody know where we can find out if the entertainment will be pretty much the same or if we can expect different shows and entertainers by that time?

Just got off of the Summit today. We did The St Croix, st kitts, Dominica, Grenada, st Thomas itinerary and LOVED it!! We have been to the other ports numerous times and were glad to be on this where we had only been to 2 of the ports (st Thomas and st kitts). Now after having done all of the ports we absolutely loved the one we were just on!!

Good to hear! This is the trip we are doing.

What did you do at each port?

One thing not mentioned is, try & find out how many ships are in port at each stop for both cruises. When we did St. Kitts, our ship plus 2 mega ones were in port, the small island could deal with all the people.

Just like too many cooks can spoil the pot, too many tourists can spoil the trip.

Pretty hard decision. St. Lucia & Barbados are a couple of my fav islands but Grenada & Dominica are pretty incredible as well. What tilts the scale ultimately is the majestic Pitons in St. Lucia. If you havn't been and seen em, that would be my pick

We will be on Summit in February and are wondering about St Croix on Sunday-will everything be open

Probably not; look for a better answer on the Ports of Call Boards. I'm in St Croix Jan 5 and scheduled a beach day.

I haven't been to most of the islands on the itineraries listed, but have been to St. Thomas (2x) and St. Maarten once. I would love to go back to St. Maarten, but got outvoted by the rest of the group. We ended up at Mullet Bay after a brief stop at Pineapple Pete's restaurant. If you go to St. Maarten, look for the coconut smoothies before you get back on the boat. There are tons of things to do, but use the bus system rather than the taxi service (same type vehicles for 10% of the cost).

St. Thomas was great our first time around, and okay last time. It probably depends on what you book or do on your own.

Either choice you make will result in one week of relaxation, so you can't go wrong.

Good to hear! This is the trip we are doing.

What did you do at each port?

In St Croix and St Thomas we rented a jeep, drove around the island and went to the beach. So reasonable and a great time!!

In St Kitts my husband and kids climbed the volcano. My husband had done it before on a previous cruise and LOVED it. This time he said they went up a different side and was much more grueling, but worth it!!

We went to the Waterfalls and beach in Dominica.

Did Carib cats sail and snorkel on Grenada. Really enjoyed that as well and also went to a beach. We didn't know that the tour included the beach so it was an extra treat!

Archived