Our tips for first-timers

Seafairer

Great idea Seafairer! Although not a first-timer, I certainly look forward to learning from the responses that get posted here too.

The tip I'd learned from so many who have gone before me is to have a general idea of the evenings you'd prefer to dine in the specialty restaurants before you board the ship. Once on board, head to Le Champagne or La Terrazza to find the Maître D' and book the reservations of your choice. Otherwise, if you wait, you may find the specialty restaurant of your choice is not only unable to meet your requested day/time, but unable to accommodate any reservation at all during your voyage. Trust me, we learned the hard way back in 2010 while cruising the Med during our 2nd cruise on SS.

Totally agree, Stumblefoot. I think it's really important to arrive in the city of embarkation at least one day before boarding. Who wants to miss the ship because of flight delays or other nuisances?!! Plus, it gives you a chance to de-jet lag and arrive at the ship fresh, relaxed and able to enjoy your first afternoon and evening onboard. And isn't that the best way to arrive?

For those who come from countries using UK-style electrical sockets, take a UK to US or Europe plug adaptor.

Nobody wants to spend more than they have to so:

Learn how to log into and out of your email program - this way you can log on, download emails, log off and compose the replies then log back on and send. Saves on those expensive internet minutes. Also disable automatic downloads and updates - unless you want to pay Silversea megabucks to download them!

If you smoke cigarettes buy them onboard at $5 a pack rather than the duty-free (but not profit-free) airport prices.

If, like us, you are going for a standard suite (ie not a Silver Suite or above) ask yourself how important that veranda really is. We don't think it's worth the extra above a Vista - that, of course, is a very personal opinion.

Remember that the restaurant will prepare special meals if you give them a day's notice - Indian, Thai, lobster etc. Don't be afraid to ask the butler if you have a special fancy.

The staff find it hard to say no so don't worry if you think you have a demanding/unusual request.

If you are a smoker and use the Connoisseurs Lounge (on the Spirit at least) use the phone provided to order drinks from the Panorama Lounge; they will also deliver your after dinner coffee there. Very civilised.

Take clothes pins to close the drapes so you can sleep in the AM! Duct tape comes in handy too.

We close both sets of drapes to make the cabin even darker. Now if I could just remember to put something over the vent in the door to the cabin it would be perfect.

I need to add duct tape to the packing list.

Another suggestion - on a cold weather cruise, sometimes the heat in the cabin can be quite dry. We rigged up a humidifier using a wet towel, some wire hangars and a bucket. It looked strange, but worked perfectly.

Take clothes pins to close the drapes so you can sleep in the AM! Duct tape comes in handy too.

I learned from a hotel owner friend a long time ago to use the hangers with clips (pants hangers) to clip those drapes closed!

Before you sign on for expensive shore excursions, do a little research. Many times a local taxi with a guide is MUCH less, and you can sightsee at your own speed. Or find another couple on board that will share a taxi/van with you for a day or half day.

We are on board Whisper right now and did the same tour that was offered for $169 pp in Cameroon for $30 for 4 people.

Take a power bar to plug into an outlet for charging many items at once.

I learned from a hotel owner friend a long time ago to use the hangers with clips (pants hangers) to clip those drapes closed!

Before you sign on for expensive shore excursions, do a little research. Many times a local taxi with a guide is MUCH less, and you can sightsee at your own speed. Or find another couple on board that will share a taxi/van with you for a day or half day.

We are on board Whisper right now and did the same tour that was offered for $169 pp in Cameroon for $30 for 4 people.

Take a power bar to plug into an outlet for charging many items at once.

Martha,

We'll be in Cameroon next year on the Wind. Can you please send me your tour contact there (and other places on the West Coast of Africa) at your leisure.

Thank you,

Paul

Paulpepper at comcast dot net

We haven't SS'd yet, but was reading for electricity that all ships EXCEPT THE EXPLORER have both US and EuroPlug(2 round prong) electrical outlets. The Explorer ONLY has the two pin EUROPLUG. We are on the Explorer in two weeks from Lisbon.

If you don't have any qualms about someone touching your "stuff", have your butler unpack. He did a wonderful job and color coordinated our clothes and shoes. Made embark. day less stressful

and saved time for me.

If you're new to cruising, or looking at different lines, buy Douglas Ward's indispensable book: Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. It's chock full of detailed evaluations and ratings of individual ships, valuable info on what to expect onboard, big ships vs. small, luxury vs. premium, and much more. Mr. Ward updates the guide every year and, unlike many travel writers, he's objective and reliable. And it's always fun reading that will help keep you sane until your voyage begins!

I agree that you should have an idea of the schedule for dining and make your reservations when you board. I would not trust this to the butler to handle, in case things have to be juggled.

Also, bring power strip for electronics. You can never have enough outlets.

Most importantly...you gotta open your mouth and ask for stuff. Not in a demanding way. More like, "I'd really like a lobster tail on Wednesday when I'm doing Hot Rocks. Do you think you can make that happen?"

Agree with several suggestions noted in the above replies, especially (a) doing your homework and making your dining reservations early, (b)bringing a power strip to charge many things at once, and © politely asking your butler for things you want; it is amazing what they can do.

Additional tips we have learned:

1. We bring 3-4 boxes of local treats from home (See's Candy, or recently we brought Napa-made peanut brittle) and give them as gifts to crew members who have been particularly helpful on our cruise. Yes, we may tip cash, too, but this is in addition. We actually give the candy to our butler and cabin attendant as soon as we meet them on embarkation day as a way to get acquainted. You have no idea how motivating this is and how we immediately hit it off. At the end of the cruise we give the remaining gifts to bartenders or servers who we met along the way. Just a suggestion.

2. Ship excursions are very expensive, including transfers to the airport at the end of your cruise. We always use CruiseCritic destination boards to read tour reviews of the ports/countries we will be visiting, and then we contract with private tour guides who have been well-reviewed. It is almost always HALF the price of the ship excursions, and you are traveling in a private car instead of a bus with a lot of older, slower (but wonderful!) passengers. You have more freedom of itinerary, and are not dragged to places where you are forced to shop if that isn't what you want to do. On our recent trip we met some fellow passengers online before the cruise through the Roll Call board and arranged to do private tours together in several cities. We had outstanding experiences at a fraction of the cost of what the ship offered. We strongly recommend doing this. Also, at the end of your cruise, don't be afraid to just take a local taxi to your hotel or airport. Much better than $149 per person that the ship charges (as was the case on our cruise this month.)

Kort

Since we will be spending 23 nights on the Spirit in Jan. 2014, when would be the WORST nights to book specialty Restaurants?

Is the Captains Welcome the second night out and the Farewell the second last night out?...Better to eat in main dining room or "Other" venues on these nights?

Should we book tables for 2 or take a chance and book for 4-6 persons(we are social cruisers and enjoy meeting new people)

Since we have visited most of the ports before, perhaps on port days?

Best bars/lounges for pr-dinner cocktails?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Merci in advance, Pat

Duct Tape! You are the best..(and the funniest!). Love the Tips...and, a belated thanks for your recommedation over two years ago for the Raphael in Rome for my son's Honeymoon. They had a great time and loved the location-- and toasted me. I, in turn, toasted you! Thanks!

Wonderful thread topic, thanks for starting Seafairer and for everyone's contributions..have recommended Host Dan add as a sticky.

Our tips:

1. If you enjoy lap swimming like we do best times are before 7 a.m., and after 6 p.m.

2. Soon, believe Silversea and Cruise Critic will publish rules (as a thread Sticky) for their official CC and SS meet & greets (contract was signed earlier this month). Recommend signing up early and contributing to your roll call thread to first meet your fellow voyage cruisers digitally, then face to face shortly after you board. We now have a dozen very close CC/Silversea (on board and meeting with them at home and their home) friends due to our involvement with CC roll calls.

3. Often fellow cruisers wait until the Ship's leadership invites you to dinner, at at least once per cruise, after you meet a junior crew leader (bar manager, destinations team member, et. al.,) invite them to dinner (they will get the OK from Hotel Director) and it is a treat for them to eat with guests in main dining room, vs their staff or officer mess.

4. For marital bliss and a thoughtful touch, after 6:30a.m., in the Panorama lounge have your first cup of joe, then ask the barista to make you a to go cappuccino or cafe latte to take to your spouse/partner in suite.

5. For excursions that extend beyond lunch (e.g. six hours) call room service the day before and ask for box lunch. SS does box lunches better than other lux lines we have been on--you get your own portable cloth thermal box with goodies besides just a sandwich, fruit/chips and a drink.

6. Use the guest information form on the "my voyage" site on SS website, months before your cruise and request for extra pillows, beverages of your choice (e.g., single malt).

7. Send a note to informationdesk@silverseacruises.com and ask them to pass a special beverage request you would like (that SS ordinarily does not carry, e.g Rangpur Tanqueray gin) a month or so before and ask them to have a bottle in your room.

8. Special orders are done exceptionally well on SS, we like to special order; dover sole (however, you can pay $30pp for this in Le Champagne we like the Main Dining room option better), Indian or Thai meal for the main dining room, steak Diane, crepe Suzette, bananas foster.

9. Rule is generally one reservation per specialty restaurant per meal..early in the morning on the day you want eat (e.g. at La Terraza) at breakfast ask the Maitre'd if they have a table for 2, 4, et.al) for that nite.

10.At one of your ports order a large bouquet of flowers for your suite, enjoy then at the end ask for a vase or two to leave for your stewardess, destinations services.

11.Bring your special thank you notes from home and leave handwritten thank yous along with your special gift ideas (good tips above) donations to crew fund.

12. Early in your voyage, meet with the head sommelier and ask for his/her recommendations for the wine (red or white) you like. Further, ask if he/she can set up a mini wine tasting for you so you have your hip pocket comp wine choice available if the comp red/wine selections that meal are not to your liking.

Wes,

I so much enjoyed your tips. Everyone a gem.

I can't add much but would like to add one.

Make friends with the people that look after you. If you enjoy informality insist on it. For example on one cruise my wife would leave Silversea Teddy on the balcony to enjoy the sun. From then on our stewardess would leave Silversea Teddy in a different position each night (see below for some examples).

What I'm saying is inject fun!

QSC00271_zpsf7eb3caf.jpg

QSC00268_zps365f3f1a.jpg

WjQSC00236_zps04379d7c.jpg

Great ideas, all of them! Thank you, Wes, for your suggestion to Host Dan.

All new-to-Silversea cruisers should read both General Information and Terms & Conditions, found online and in the back of the hard copy brochure. Really. General Info answers most of your questions about life onboard and what Silversea offers. Terms & Conditions outlines Silversea's responsibilities and your rights; yes, it's the "small print," but it's also their contract with you and it's in your interest to know what these obligations are. And aren't.

I also urge everyone to make use of Silversea's friendly and very knowledgeable staff in their Ft. Lauderdale office. They've sailed on the ships and can help you with suite selection, tour details, pretty much anything. If they don't have your answer, they'll get it for you. It just involves a quick phone call: 800-722-9955.

• 2 weeks later...
Wes,

I so much enjoyed your tips. Everyone a gem.

I can't add much but would like to add one.

Make friends with the people that look after you. If you enjoy informality insist on it. For example on one cruise my wife would leave Silversea Teddy on the balcony to enjoy the sun. From then on our stewardess would leave Silversea Teddy in a different position each night (see below for some examples).

WjQSC00236_zps04379d7c.jpg

Yep, perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Archived