The NEW Celebrity Secrets thread (4/2013)

ghstudio

Actually, it's usually the first thing I read. Do you think that could have anything to do with the substantial amounts of weight I can gain in the space of a one week cruise. :o

Especially on a sea day, I look at the times of breakfast and lunch in the MDR, even though we almost never eat there. Heck, one of our leisure activities is checking out the posted menus -- yes, for all three meals!

We've also been EXTREMELY fortunate in, so far, always having a waiter who tells us about the stuff for the next day. Heck, that's one of the little unique fun things about a cruise (and why we still love fixed dinner seating, rather than open seating).

Texed, you didn't tell us if they have waffles at the brunch; and are they as good as upstairs?

Check out the link below to a thread that has great pics of the brunch. Edit....check out post 3, picture one, background.....white chocolate fountain.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611134

Oh my! :eek: I am one who can take or leave real chocolate, but I LOVE white! I don't think I've ever seen a white chocolate fountain!

Now I HAVE to get to that brunch! :D

Not so sure if this is a secret (or if it will actually worked as currently planned), but if you find yourself needing a wheel chair at the last minute, call the Access Department and they will have a wheelchair in your cabin waiting on you for use onboard. Found this out today when I called to see if I could get one for my son who broke his foot and was put in a cast - today, 16 days before we cruise! UGH! Best part? This is complimentary!!!! I'll drop back in and let you know if this went as I was told after we get home in July.

In the good old days, your dining room waiter would advise you about the brunch the night before. Alas, those days are no more. Training and service are very iffy in the MDR.

So, this is how you find out about the brunch. It is listed in the Daily, but not in a place where any normal person would think to look for it. It's listed under the hours section for the MDR. So you need to check that every day if you want to go to the brunch. It will be on a sea day.

Our waiter on the Summit last week told us about the brunch. As a matter of fact, each night when he served our dessert, he would remind us that the MDR would have breakfast the next morning along with the time. I guess it all depends on your waiter.

Our waiter on the Summit last week told us about the brunch. As a matter of fact, each night when he served our dessert, he would remind us that the MDR would have breakfast the next morning along with the time. I guess it all depends on your waiter.

Yes, it is waiter dependent in the MDR. We have been in Blu on five recent cruises and have never been told about the brunch or any information on dining/food related events.

Yes, it is waiter dependent in the MDR. We have been in Blu on five recent cruises and have never been told about the brunch or any information on dining/food related events.

If you're dining in Blu, then that's your primary dining room and those that are serving you should not be obligated to let you know about a brunch that is not within the realm of their jurisdiction since it's in the MDR and not Blu. It would be nice of course, but I think that the MDR waiters should bear more of a responsibility to their clientele since the brunch is located in the MDR.

The brunch is for all passengers including those in Blu. BTW, Blu is not open for lunch...those in aqua eat lunch with everyone else in the various dining areas including the MDR, if they want.

If you're dining in Blu, then that's your primary dining room and those that are serving you should not be obligated to let you know about a brunch that is not within the realm of their jurisdiction n since it's in the MDR and not Blu. It would be nice of course, but I think that the MDR waiters should bear more of a responsibility to their clientele since the brunch is located in the MDR.

Strange comment.

We dined in BLU and were disappointed to miss the "Brunch" in the MDR as no one told us about it. The brunch is for everyone. Note BLU is open for Breakfast and dinner and not lunch.

Edited by Jade13

I do not expect our waiter to "parrot repeat" a script about brunch, food pairings, chef demonstrations whatever. Like all decisions for the day I prefer to look in the Daily at bedtime and we make our provisional plans then.

I loved the fact in Blu the end of dinner conversations with wait staff were more social (we often talked bout them and their families not about us) and not "sales pitches" for free and charged for events.

Brunch is pleasant but I hate seeing how some displays are trashed within minutes and the scale of wastage is terrible.

I thought of another secret – at least it was a secret to me.

A couple of cruises ago we were in aqua class and I absolutely fell in love with the lighted magnifying makeup mirror that was provided in the state room. With my poor eyesight it made a huge difference. It was the best mirror I've ever used and made it possible to see things that I haven't seen in years (yikes). My husband (for shaving) and mother-in-law were also hooked.

I took a picture of the box it was in and then after the cruise tried to find it to buy it online.

I found out on my most recent cruise that you can actually buy that mirror at guest services and it's a lot cheaper. Probably because celebrity buys them in bulk. The customer service desk had a few in the back room.

Regarding the white chocolate fountain, the first time I saw that was on the Equinix in May. Delicious!

Strange comment.

We dined in BLU and were disappointed to miss the "Brunch" in the MDR as no one told us about it. The brunch is for everyone. Note BLU is open for Breakfast and dinner and not lunch.

Why do you think my response regarding the waiters in Blu not mentioning anything about a brunch in the MDR was a strange comment? Would you expect your cabin steward to tell you on embarkation day when you first meet about a special happy hour at sail a way? NO, because everyone has their jurisdiction that they are responsible for and even though those cruisers whose assigned dining is in Blu can go to the brunch, their assigned waiters are not going to mention it because it's a MDR activity. That is probably the reason why no one told you about it. This was my speculation and I feel it is a rather valid one. I'm sorry that you inferred that it was strange.

Not really a *secrets* question, but does the breakfast buffet on Constellation have smoked salmon available?

... and we hope to do the Black Sea in Oct. 2014 on her as well.

On all three of our cruises, we had unlimited smoked salmon at breakfast.

Mr. B. often has bagel, loxx and cream cheese, but he also likes lox, eggs and onions, which he gets as a lox and onion omelette.

There's a bagel and lox eggs Benedict variation.

But the last time we were on the Connie was fall of 2011. I'm guessing somebody will chime in who can agree with me for a more recent cruise.

In March of 2013, there was plenty on Royal's Liberty of the Seas.

Once on the Equinox, the head chef told us his chefs requisition 100 lbs of it per day. He limits them to 70.

Enjoy!

Edited by May B

The Brunch is CLEARLY mentioned in your Celebrity Today daily paper in the APPROPRIATE section: Dining room hours.

As A previous poster said, I do not Expect waiters to brief me about next day events. We all have eyes, use them and read the daily.

There is another aspect to the discussion about why Celebrity doesn't do more to advertise the brunch, apologize if this has already been mentioned, but they don't make a big deal about it because the MDR does not have the capacity to hold all of the passengers. They rely on some people never finding out about it, just as they rely on some passengers choosing to eat at the Aqua Spa, the hamburger grill, and the buffet.

Here are my 2 helpful hints/secrets: if you have a Classic beverage package, you must pay full price for anything not included in your package. If you have the premium package, you only pay the difference (over $12) if you order a select glass of wine or perhaps an aged scotch/single barrel bourbon. Next, if you would prefer 2 appetizers, a steak and lobster tail, then an assorted dessert platter to share with your table, just order it. They never say no!!! Have fun, everyone!!

I do love the MDR Brunch, and have missed it on 1/3 cruises because I didn't read my Celebrity Daily. I have missed several other things - great presentations and panel discussions as well. I am getting a little more disciplined - its all there!

Having said that, brunch can be a little like "embarkation day" in the Ocean View - enthusiastic, competitive, anxious... and there is no where you can walk and not step into someone's camera shot:eek:.

There is another aspect to the discussion about why Celebrity doesn't do more to advertise the brunch, apologize if this has already been mentioned, but they don't make a big deal about it because the MDR does not have the capacity to hold all of the passengers. They rely on some people never finding out about it, just as they rely on some passengers choosing to eat at the Aqua Spa, the hamburger grill, and the buffet.

We didn't go to the brunch on Equinox two summers ago and I didn't even remember knowing about it. I went back to my "Celebrity Today" for the last sea day and sure enough there it was. But just "brunch" and the hours. Some other things that were going on were "hyped" so I guess we just thought that was a regular MDR breakfast with a late seating because it was a sea day. These boards have a wealth of info.

• 2 weeks later...
When embarking early in the aftenoon when the staterooms are not quite ready, do not go with the hordes of passengers to the overly crowded and insanely loud Buffet for lunch.

We typically go to Aqua Spa Cafe, which is always open during embarkation and rarely busy. Much more relaxing IMO.

Again, keep it a SECRET, or else it will not be one anymore.

Others have suggested the Bistro (Crepe place)

Aren't the Aqua Spa Cafe and the Bistro specialty restaurants? Or is the surcharge waived for lunch on embarkation day?

Aren't the Aqua Spa Cafe and the Bistro specialty restaurants? Or is the surcharge waived for lunch on embarkation day?

The Aqua Spa Cafe is free and the Bistro charges $5.00 each day, including embarkation day. It's on the secret thread because it's a way to avoid the crowds that like to linger in the general buffet area with their carry-ons while they wait for their cabin to be ready.

No charge in Aqua Spa cafe, but you will be lucky to get a table.

I ate there twice on Eclipse in March ( Southern Caribbean) once by myself, where I shared a table and 2nd time with DH, when we had to sit outside the cafe area.

We never went again, because of the difficulty in finding seating.

If you are elite, you are welcome to drink as much as you want at the Elite function, but you may not take drinks out of the room (to your cabin, to dinner, to anywhere). [/Quote]

Things have changed since the above was posted,.

We were new Elites in March on Eclipse and had vouchers. I asked on our first evening if we could take our 3rd drink with us to the dining room and was told 'yes'

Edited by upwarduk

No charge in Aqua Spa cafe, but you will be lucky to get a table.

I ate there twice on Eclipse in March ( Southern Caribbean) once by myself, where I shared a table and 2nd time with DH, when we had to sit outside the cafe area.

We never went again, because of the difficulty in finding seating.

Things have changed since the above was posted,.

We were new Elites in March on Eclipse and had vouchers. I asked on our first evening if we could take our 3rd drink with us to the dining room and was told 'yes'

Yippeeeeeeee:D:D:D:D!