When to book?

quiltymama

My mom and I want to go on Royal Caribbean's 6 night January 12 Caribbean cruise. When is the best time to book? Any tips and tricks or must do or see things on Independence of the Sea? We are so excited! Also, is it better to book through RCL or Travelocity or elsewhere?

As far as RCI info, the best place for your research is the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

We are not allowed to discuss travel agencies by name, nor give recommendations on Cruise Critic.

A little reading will find this type of question asked almost daily. There is no "best" time. If there was, the cruise lines would figure this out, and raise the prices then!

Rather, you book when you can. Then watch for price drops. If before final payment, most cruise lines will give you the lower fare. After final payment, cruise lines are not obligated to give you the fare drop, but many will give you some sort of compensation for some of the price difference.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Many people prefer to book through the cruise line but I always use a travel agent. I like having a professional to not only advise me but also run interference in case there is some problem. For example, when I booked my upcoming cruise the email promised double onboard credit for solo travelers. The cruise line rep was trying to say that was wrong. My TA spent a day and a half getting it straightened out and getting me the OBC promised. On top of that, the TA also gave me OBC.

Be sure to check the roll call for your cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770906

The roll call is a great way to get to know some of the people on your cruise.

You might want to book a "guarantee". This gives you the lowest price in the grade you choose (inside, oceanview, etc.). The cruise line will then assign you a cabin, sometimes (don't count on it) even upgrading you. Be sure not to book a guarantee any lower than what you are comfortable with because there is no certainty of an upgrade.

Have a wonderful cruise!

My mom and I want to go on Royal Caribbean's 6 night January 12 Caribbean cruise. When is the best time to book? Any tips and tricks or must do or see things on Independence of the Sea? We are so excited! Also, is it better to book through RCL or Travelocity or elsewhere?

The best time to book is as soon as you know which cruise you want to go on. The sooner you book the greater the chance of getting the cabin you want.

Also, if you book now and the price goes down before final payment, then you can get the new lower price. If you book now and the price goes up, you get to keep the old lower price.

However, if you wait and the price goes up, you cannot then book at the old lower price.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We book as soon as possible -- sometimes as far out as 2 years. Reason -- we do not do guarantee cabins -- we prefer to select our own cabin.

We prefer to use a travel agent. We have been fortunate to have had one for over 24 years. We like the idea that we can get hold of her any time we need to -- we can go and see her any time.

how do you do guarantee cabins?

Some cruise lines offer what is referred as a "Guarantee" cabin, shortened to GTY. A GTY is booking a certain minimum level of a type of cabin- usually the cheapest inside, or the cheapest outside, or the cheapest balcony level, or the cheapest suite. When you book, no cabin is assigned. The cruise line assigns you a cabin, wherever the cruise line wishes, but not below the cabin level GTY you booked, in the last two weeks or so prior to sailing. You are giving some flexibility to the cruise line, in exchange for a reasonable chance of a higher level cabin then your GTY is booked at. The common suggestion on these boards is to book a GTY at the minimum level of cabin you absolutely require, so you shouldn't be disappointed with what you are given.

Sometimes a GTY is the only bookings available towards the last weeks or months prior to a cruise. In that case, you would have no choice, you must book a GTY.

If you were to book a GTY, you could, for example, book the cheapest balconey, and end up in a suite. Or, you could end up in the cheapest balconey in the worst (relatively speaking) location. You just don't know.

There are MANY discussions about GTY cabins on these boards. Some research on the RCI board, as suggested, would give you the details of booking a GTY on RCI.

I would book as soon as you know what you want. If the price does, cancel and rebook. As to where, we use online travel agents, typically 5-10% savings.

As others have said, since you already know which cruise and what ship you want, book now. Since this is your first cruise, and you obviously have lots of questions, find a good cruise agent in your area to talk to. Also, go on line and look at the deck plans for the ship you've chosen. We all have different preferences when booking a certain category. Some prefer booking a guarantee, then letting the cruise line choose the cabin. We, along with many others, prefer booking as far in advance as possible and choosing the specific cabin we want. Believe it or not, location is important. Looking at the ship's deck plans will let you know what is above, below, and next to the cabin you're considering. This web site has a lot of helpful information: Cruise Ship Deck Plans and Cabin Reviews

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and to cruising. A word of warning. Cruising is addictive, and there is no known cure.:D

Archived