Oceania Prices Soar

digby

Correct, Tina but you were on a trans-Atlantic cruise and therefore "re-positioning" which is always cheaper than a "normal" cruise.

Nonetheless I do not find the increase in price mentioned in the lead post on this thread to be at all shocking. Why? Quite simply the huge drop in the US dollar. Oceania and most other lines charge dollar prices but are paying for goods and services (including oil) in other currencies. In 2006 the USD converted to the Swiss franc (I live in Switzerland) at roughly 1.20. Today it is struggling to be at .90 Swiss cents. That is a huge difference and one I feel almost every day!! (Especialy with petrol (gas) here at about US$8 per gallon.)

Wow, does your post bring back very happy memories for me! Thank you.

Your "huge drop" (value of US dollar from $1.20 down to 90 cents) is another person's (mine) "drop in the bucket" compared to the dollar value decline I've experienced. On my first trip to Switzerland, as a very young woman (I'm a Baby Boomer), I got about 4.4 Swiss francs for one dollar, about 5 French francs per dollar and about 4 German Marks per dollar. I really stretched those dollars very far, usually staying where bathrooms were down the hall, though no youth hostels and no backpack. I didn't know a soul in Europe when I boarded my plane as an independent traveler bound for Paris but returned with many friends and wonderful memories.

I stayed for about five months traveling around Europe that time with my only splurge being a first class Eurailpass (cheaper for youth), which cost significantly less then and was good for daily travel for at least three months and included a lot of riverboats, too.

Making that trip at that time (pre-arthritis!) was one of the best decisions I ever made, though I admit that since I have not been back to Europe since the Euro took over, I am much less inclined to cruise there, except for Scandinavia, or unless it is part of a land vacation. When my husband retires in the next five years, we'll probably do an extensive land trip there, as he has never been to Europe, but I dread the crowds and most of the changes that have been made (way too much English everywhere, one boring currency for most countries with no need to exchange currency at borders) and we will likely visit more off-the-beaten track locations and live or board with the locals.

As for the significantly higher prices mentioned for Oceania cruises, for the time being we'll concentrate on closer to home cruises, most of which cost less for a variety of reasons, including the air travel. We'd rather take fewer cruises in nicer accommodations and repeat ports than to pay a fortune to race around from port to port to port, rarely getting to have dinner off the ship. But downmarket cruising (Carnival, et al) as someone mentioned, above, does not appeal to us and won't be part of our plans.

.... though I admit that since I have not been back to Europe since the Euro took over, I am much less inclined to cruise there, except for Scandinavia, or unless it is part of a land vacation. When my husband retires in the next five years, we'll probably do an extensive land trip there, as he has never been to Europe, but I dread the crowds and most of the changes that have been made (way too much English everywhere, one boring currency for most countries with no need to exchange currency at borders) and we will likely visit more off-the-beaten track locations and live or board with the locals.

Interesting perspective, O&R, although the opposite of my own. IMO English being spoken far more widely and the spread of the Euro (introduced in 1999, I believe!) both have made our European travels, both by land and ship, much easier, particularly as we prefer DIY travel at our own, admittedly slow, pace. That, combined with the ease of booking accomodations over the internet and the helpful advice offered by websites such as this one and sister website tripadvisor, make Europe an even more attractive destination to me.

With careful planning (I do not do well in heat and humidity, so I will not visit Europe from mid-June through the end of August), you can avoid the crowds. Also, just by visiting the most crowded sights first thing in the morning or at the end of the day, you can avoid a lot of these issues.

Please do not let these issues stop you from enjoying the delights of Europe.

OTOH, when we checked into a hotel in Hamburg in Oct '03 and I passed over my U.S. passport the clerk was shocked. "You can't be an American, you speak German."

In fact, I don't speak German fluently but I speak it well enough (and I spoke it better then). But I WAS embarrassed because of the perception that no "Americans" speak anything but English.

On our first visit to Berlin in the fall of 1998 we went up to the top of KaDaVe to try to buy tickets for a concert and the clerk didn't speak English. (I started out in German so maybe she felt if I could deal in German she didn't need to switch.) On the same floor were the food vendors and none of them seemed to speak any English. I was surprised because we were in Berlin, but then it wasn't a problem since I COULD speak the language well enough to order our food.

When we were in Florence for a few days in 2005 I noticed that the waiters in restaurants spoke Italian and English, but the French and German tourists had to speak English ...

When I was young (before I ever went to Europe) I understood that Europeans pretty well spoke the standard languages. Based on our trips in 1998 and 2005, and later, that may not be true any more.

Still, I would never complain because "they all speak English now"!

We also discovered in travels to places like then-Yugoslavia that they seemed to speak English well but it was UK English, not North American English, and often when it seemed we were communicating -- we were not. Partly it was the accent, partly the idioms.

My favorite time was when a tourist bureau employee in Pula, Yugoslavia (back in 1977) didn't like what I was saying (in English) and so decided she no longer spoke English. It really frosted her when I just switched to German ...

But that was then.

The fact is that not everyone speaks English in Europe and we should all make an attempt to make at least basic communication in the language of the country. I'm not ready to learn Swahili, but I'm pretty good in French, Italian, German and even a little Spanish. And I sing in German and Portuguese ... Not that this helps me in conversation!

Mura

Huh? If someone is "priced out" of Oceania, they will go downmarket where it's cheaper. What am I missing?

They are swaping gold for tin as is their right. We'll stick to Oceania for all it has to offer and also stay with the wonderful R ships.

Hawaiidan, you are so out of it. Where do you think that those who feel O is pricing them out that they are "Carnival" level. I hope to God that I am not on a cruise with you. Your comments disgust me as well as many others, I am sure.

Huh? If someone is "priced out" of Oceania, they will go downmarket where it's cheaper. What am I missing?

I so agree!!!! :confused: And trust me...it won't be Carnival...or RCCL...it will be Azamara...HAL or Celebrity...Not O...I agree, but not left on the shoreline...unable to sail at all!!!! When you are sailing 3 to 4 times a year...price DOES come into play! LuAnn

Interesting thread, to say the least. We can't afford to sail all the time with Oceania or Regent (we love both cruise lines). But we don't live by one cruise line... we book based on itinerary and where we want to go. So that means we have to alter what cruise line we sail on to go where we want.

But if there are serious price increases in Oceania (and Regent), this may limit how often we actually sail with them even if they have an itinerary we love.

But if there are serious price increases in Oceania (and Regent), this may limit how often we actually sail with them even if they have an itinerary we love.

We just got off the Tahitian Breeze on the Marina and it was a lovely cruise. This cruise was our 6th with Oceania. We have never cruised with another line. I had priced out two 7 day cruises back to back while on the cruise. None of the itineraries were that interesting but we would have loved to repeat some of the ports especially back on the R ships. The Oceania ambassador kept saying what a great deal it would be to book on the ship with all the savings. Needless to say, I was a little shocked at the pricing even with the B2B discount, prepaid gratuities and the booking on board savings. Needless to say, we will not be sailing on O for 2014 which is the first year we are passing up sailing with the line. There is nothing I can fault O with except the increase in pricing which includes deviation fees, house wine pricing, etc. As much as I don't want to leave O and love sailing with her I will now consider other lines such as Azamara and Celebrity. It's is not something we want to do but itineraries and pricing will drive us in another direction.

We just got off the Tahitian Breeze on the Marina and it was a lovely cruise. This cruise was our 6th with Oceania. We have never cruised with another line. I had priced out two 7 day cruises back to back while on the cruise. None of the itineraries were that interesting but we would have loved to repeat some of the ports especially back on the R ships. The Oceania ambassador kept saying what a great deal it would be to book on the ship with all the savings. Needless to say, I was a little shocked at the pricing even with the B2B discount, prepaid gratuities and the booking on board savings. Needless to say, we will not be sailing on O for 2014 which is the first year we are passing up sailing with the line. There is nothing I can fault O with except the increase in pricing which includes deviation fees, house wine pricing, etc. As much as I don't want to leave O and love sailing with her I will now consider other lines such as Azamara and Celebrity. It's is not something we want to do but itineraries and pricing will drive us in another direction.

Ditto.

I always thought Oceania was pricey, after all how much bottled water and lobster can you eat? As all can see ships are getting very big while Oceania latest still only have 1250 guests, that has to be paid for somehow. We are taking a 14 day trip on Rivera in a ocean view room. Celebrity has the very same itinerary, for the same money I can get a large suite or at less than half and ocean view, however that comes with 1600 more guests. You can not have your cake and eat it too!

But you can try! OTOH, Oceania is comparatively pricey and going up and for some of us, it is not a matter of what we could afford but of what we consider reasonable to spend. I am looking forward to my 2014 O cruises but I can already see that they too do some nickel and diming (air deviation and drink packages). Still unlike my one RCCL cruise (very good value but too many people, too much nickel and diming to make up for the very good value-our inside cabin turned out to be a sanctuary from all that hubbub and friends balcony cabins were noisy. Never again), it will be worth it to pay a little more for a more tranquil cruise with a much smaller crowd. For me, this will be having my cake and eating it too in a sense.

Now our good friends and former neighbors took up cruising in a big way when they retired and they picked a large cruise line (Celebrity after trying others) where they can get luxury cabins with balconies for less and build up loyalty points like O cruisers. They do not mind the crowds because they prefer a really good bargain to what O offers and are outgoing and like activities at night on the boat (They liked that RCCL cruise though not RCCL). They can afford O. They consider that they are having their cake and eating it too by getting a better cabin on a less costly line. Will higher prices send O regulars to other cruise lines-it depends.

Editing to add that they could get a similar cruise to our O Baltic cruise for $1000 less on Celebrity this year, not sure about next. I am sticking with O however, much better itinerary but for us retirees, it is something to think about.

tvmovielover and the last few posters - all well said. I love O and I love her staff and crew, but as said previously, pricing affects a lot of retirees. Let's say "excessive" pricing changes. I have 15 cruises on O. Of course the prices were higher than some other lines but not as high as they are now going.

I realize as years pass price increases are inevitable, to a proper degree.

I often said that I would not sail a huge ship; however, recently we sailed the Crown Princess, had a full suite and the trip was fabulous. I didn't even feel the greater number of passengers as everything was so well coordinated.

We will be on O for the Baltic in August, but on HAL to Antarctica in December. Of course O isn't doing the A. I noticed the cost of doing SA (excl. Antarctica) is the same cost as ours going to A in a suite. The first trip we ever took on O when it started was to SA. Boy, what a cost difference.

Anyway, enough of my rambling--I'm just still shocked at the price increase level.

Some of us do not need suites to sail on O

We may only cruise once a year... so far it is working for us

There may come a day when they will be too much $$ for our budget but until then we are willing to spend a bit extra for O

It is all a personal choice on whether to sail with O or another line

I am hoping to get a few more cruise in before I have to give it up ;)

Lyn

and would love to sail upon her fleet the 3 to 4 times a year we do cruises...and we DON"T want to give it up...but it is sheer economics.

We appreciate...as many of you have said...that the "product" we choose will not be O...and we may be going "to tin" (loved that expression BTW)..

But we love to be on a ship...many times a year..and the $$ involved do come into play...

Just got off a 5 night Celebrity west coast cruise...was the food better...heck no!!! Was the cabin better? Heck no!!! Were there more people...heck yes!!

BUT...we did have fun...met great CC cruisers and it provided us something that O can't...so ....as many have said...we all need to pick and choose what fits our budgets and our "fun" factor and interest!

I may decide to go to just 2 cruises a year to be able to do it on O...am considering that...but in the mean time...I am looking at other alternatives...and ....as has been said...to each his own...whatever "floats your boat"!!! :p LuAnn

Just about all on here use Celebrity as the alt. line. We have sailed on NCL lots, they have a lot in common with Oceania. The ships are open sitting and resort casual. They have many rest, with their steak house and French rest as good as Oceania. If you go in a room that is in the Haven they have a private rest, pool, sun deck and butler. The major diff is extra charges, large ships and a young crowd.

LHT28, no, we don't require a "suite." I was just saying that we had one on the Crown where they upgraded us. We are usually verandah on O, and we have loved it. We downgraded from our usual PH category several O cruises back, but we have been quite happy.

We have been doing three major trips a year plus some smaller ones

As prices rise on O I will have to reevaluate whether it is worth it Azamara has increased its prices so I'm not sure they are an alternative in terms of price.

We have taken a few Celebrity cruises and they do represent the best value at sea IMO. We manage to enjoy ourselves but we adjust our expectations

At this point it is all about itinerary for us. Finding a unique itinerary is challenging. Maybe we will cruise less and do more land trips.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who would be happy to struggle over these decisions. I am just grateful we are healthy and can afford to travel

LHT28, no, we don't require a "suite." I was just saying that we had one on the Crown where they upgraded us.

I was not referring to anyone in particular

We usually sail in a B or C cat

I do not think the prices are that bad, but I do not compare today's rates with prices we paid back in 2004 either

We have tried a couple of main stream lines since our 1st O cruise & discovered they are not for us

We are not as wealthy as some O cruisers appear to be but we do enjoy the product

As long as we have our health & can afford to travel that is a big plus in my book

I guess the bottom line is

Oceania like other cruise lines are in business to make money & like many things in the world the prices have risen in the past several years

If you do not want to pay the price of a product then keep shopping around until you find one that suits your budget

JMO

Lyn

For personal reasons, we cannot book until 30-45 days before sailing date. Does Oceania reduce prices after final payment date in order to fill unsold cabins?

We are looking at Fall and Winter 2013-2014 cruises on Oceania.

For personal reasons, we cannot book until 30-45 days before sailing date. Does Oceania reduce prices after final payment date in order to fill unsold cabins?

We are looking at Fall and Winter 2013-2014 cruises on Oceania.

Sometimes but not always usually added incentives to book

Check out the Promotions on the website or sign up for the email promotions

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/promotions.aspx?tab=viewLimited

Sometimes the cruise are completely sold out by 60 days so if you do not care where you go you could take a chance & wait

I guess the bottom line is

Oceania like other cruise lines are in business to make money & like many things in

the World the prices have risen in the past several years

If you do not want to pay the price of a product then keep shopping around until you find

one that suits your budget

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv0OaNRqTH6GU-Ph3uLF6b7uFcqhHlGyQi5qcrrrXlaqI2YrV4AA

Well Lynn's comments and Jims Image sums it up.

Most of the People around the World have to realize that life is never going to be

the same as it was around the end of 2007 ever again.

(Notable exceptions Australia :cool:, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany & Scandinavia)

Most of the People around the World have to realize that life is never going to be

(Notable exceptions Australia :cool:, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany & Scandinavia)

Until the next inevitable change :D - nothing stays same for ever and no country is immune from global influences. It's the nature of the beast.

Enjoy the ride while it last :)

Until the next inevitable change :D - nothing stays same for ever and no country is immune from global influences. It's the nature of the beast.

Enjoy the ride while it last :)

Totally agree Paul...I'm here for the ride.

Well, it did change here in Canada in 2008, because the stock market crash affected everyone worldwide, especially affecting retirement savings plans. The recession also affected the job market--I was forced into retirement for example. We had no real estate crash here, but there is still lots of austerity to go around--government deficits and budget shortfalls. The fundamentals of our economy remain sound, true enough, but our real estate market in big cities like Toronto and Vancouver remain in a possible future bubble situation, and personal debt is at an all-time high.

Sorry for the rant. What I don't understand about luxury cruise prices, is why these companies have not been in notable trouble during the recession, since so many of their customers have experienced some significant personal financial losses. (Remembering 2001-2004 when there were bargains galore--that wasn't a financial crisis but a security one.)

Archived