Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

6 hours ago, mrstanley said:

Question:

How are passengers being flown from the US to Venice? How is Regent Air Department getting people to Venice?

Thats my question.

Rather than ask every few hours, you might want to start a new topic for your question if you need answers soon.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:34 AM, TheShag said:

Thanks for your note. We have a winter home in Naples so we thought we would have a better chance leaving from USA given that there are more international airlines serving my destination that depart from USA vs. Canada.  Also looked at flights out of FLL, MIA and MCO. On a whole, the best of any of those options was inferior to what I THOUGHT I could get out of RSW [hindsight 20:20!]. As mentioned, I was quite surprised/disappointed that all my options for reasonable travel was not possible [I even went on the various airlines' sites to look at seat availability which ALL showed openings for my preferred options]. As to your other point about restricted business class, the agent verbally 'assured' me that lounge access was provided but in the 'Custom Air - Pending Acceptance' email, there is no mention of 'restricted' travel. When discussing the booking with Air Dept agent I was given seat selection and also told about baggage limits.How can I get documented proof of lounge access prior to accepting the travels? For a past cruise [that we cancelled] it mentioned that the fare was 'Restricted Business Class'. We never had the chance to see what it practically meant. Hell hath no fury if we show up and are denied lounge access!

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to see what's available from your winter home (although I might have checked from Canada as well since you never know what flights they might find).

If we had contacted Qatar Airways ourselves by phone, we would have asked why we had to pay for our seats, and they hopefully would have told us we were in Business Lite. And we would have asked what else that didn't give us, and they would have told us. But our TA was told by Regent that we had to pay to hold our seats after we found that our seats did not show up as reserved on Qatar Airways website. When signing in on the airlines website, we did not see anything other than Business Class indicated. When we checked in at Qatar in Miami, they told us we had lounge access, and pointed us to the closest lounge. The lounge showed us that our Qatar ticket did not have lounge access.

I'm not sure at this point how to guarantee that we have lounge access. The last time we flew out of Miami back in earlyn December, we had booked our own flights on American Airlines to Panama City where we stayed 3 nights in the old town, and boarded a Viking Ocean cruise back that returned us to Fort Lauderdale.  We booked First Class seats, and got them for only 800 dollars for both of us, including a 10 percent senior citizen discount. If we had booked them earlier, or booked the flight for the next day, it would have been 1800 dollars each. Strange, but we obviously had lounge access, and to the First class lounge rather than Business class. We spent about 90 minutes there, and it suddenly became very crowded, with people looking for seats. We had 30 minutes before boarding, but decided to head toward our gate about 15 minutes away. When we got down to entry lobby for the lounges, there was a huge line, going out the door. The same line was for First and Business, and they were announcing that both lounges were at capacity. Hmmm. Maybe nothing can guarantee access to the lounges in US airports, where an AE card is good enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Here is a good article on Business Lite and what airlines are using it (mostly european as opposed to US legacy carriers.)

What are business-class lite fares? And how to avoid them - The Points Guy  

airlines mentioned in article:

And note that this article from The Points Guy was posted in April 2023, and says that this is something new that European airlines started doing recently. We flew Emirates in December 2019, returning in January 2020, and we had no restrictions on our Business class flights.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

And note that this article from The Points Guy was posted in April 2023, and says that this is something new that European airlines started doing recently. We flew Emirates in December 2019, returning in January 2020, and we had no restrictions on our Business class flights.

Ben Smithson
Sept. 06, 2023

15 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

I’ve been meaning to write a post about my recent Regent air deviation experience, for my November Voyager trip. We ended up on United SFO to IST via FRA with Lufthansa finishing the job. The return from Barcelona is Aer Lingus to LAX, (we understand it’s not the best,but we )will appreciate the pre-clearance from Dublin. 

be glad they didn't give you the TK nonstop old 777 seats.  UA Polaris will be fine as long as you get a decent FA.  and of course the LH flight will be standard European first (Coach with an open middle)

Aer Lingus should have good service.  Customs can be a little busy but not many vactioners in Ireland in November.  they fly the a330-300 which has a funky seat layout  The two 3, 5 K seats have more space If you want to sit together then the middle DG will allow aisle access but as a day flight not that critical.  Of the single a seats particularly, the even rows have more privacy  Glad it worked out.image.thumb.png.3d748c1e0125586fadad4345565d29d0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all! Back again with some more pondering over the flight booking. I have sent in options to my TA, and she will start the process on June 10.

Just wondering at what point if we are paying an up charge it would be an idea to book the flights ourselves in order to receive points on those flights- for instance, if we are originally charged 3000 with an up charge of 2000 (for a total cost of $5000), and the cost to book the flight ourselves is $6000 do you think the $1000 difference would be justified to be able to obtain those airline points?

I guess I have to take into consideration also having lounge access, and ability to choose seats.

We will be flying in at least 3 days before our pre cruise excursion.

I think I might have just talked myself into this idea, but would love to get input from you all.

32 minutes ago, vegasdriven said:

Hi all! Back again with some more pondering over the flight booking. I have sent in options to my TA, and she will start the process on June 10.

Just wondering at what point if we are paying an up charge it would be an idea to book the flights ourselves in order to receive points on those flights- for instance, if we are originally charged 3000 with an up charge of 2000 (for a total cost of $5000), and the cost to book the flight ourselves is $6000 do you think the $1000 difference would be justified to be able to obtain those airline points?

I guess I have to take into consideration also having lounge access, and ability to choose seats.

I think I might have just talked myself into this idea, but would love to get input from you all.

upcharge and deviation fee per person.

You are missing some significant issues with your plan. First of all you will never know what you paid for your sir as PO art of your cruise fare. You can only know what the regent credit for not taking your included air  next each time you or your ta call the air desk costs you another $75 

next air fares can change quite often so each time you contact regent for your air or contact the airline likely the prices will change so you are in a catch 22 with the possibility of when you make your decision it is based on faulty information. Good luck with your choices 

1 hour ago, vegasdriven said:

What makes you think you won't get airline points for you flight if you book through Regent?

We have a flight on Delta and it shows on my Delta app as a normal booking so I expect to get points.

I also chose my seats and expect lounge access.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

You are missing some significant issues with your plan. First of all you will never know what you paid for your sir as PO art of your cruise fare. You can only know what the regent credit for not taking your included air  next each time you or your ta call the air desk costs you another $75 

next air fares can change quite often so each time you contact regent for your air or contact the airline likely the prices will change so you are in a catch 22 with the possibility of when you make your decision it is based on faulty information. Good luck with your choices 

We had to make an adjustment ot our booking (the Regent rep booked the wrong day) and I didn'y have to pay a second $75.

33 minutes ago, chamima said:

What makes you think you won't get airline points for you flight if you book through Regent?

We have a flight on Delta and it shows on my Delta app as a normal booking so I expect to get points.

I also chose my seats and expect lounge access.

We had to make an adjustment ot our booking (the Regent rep booked the wrong day) and I didn'y have to pay a second $75.

As to points some airlines are changing their policies to only provide mile if booked direct with airline. Believe American so comment may or may not be correct

fir your comment on my comment regent had to correct their error so no charge. In the case I responded to the poster needed to know both ways which was cost effective so each call to regent for that is for sure chargeable 

4 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

I wouldn’t assume that you won’t get frequent flyer miles on a Regent-booked flight. Our Regent Air has always been on United or other Star Alliance. We got our miles for these trips. American changed their rules as mentioned earlier but I saw a report a few days ago that due to the “feedback” they received they reversed the change. 

My preference as to flights is mostly emirates, Qatar, or Turkish airlines.  These are actually for the most part the least expensive for one way flights from West coast North America to Capetown. Any US based airlines tending to be 1 and a half to 2 times as much.

I prefer the itineraries on the former as well, as they are 1 stop of at least 6 hrs (not concerned with long layovers, as all those airports have in terminal hotels if we decide we need that).

According to google flights, as well as ita matrix the least expensive flights for that routing cost 5000 pp to 8000 pp for the ones I want, and 9000 to the sky’s the limit for North American, or European air carriers with more stops, and sketchy short layovers.

We have already secured our flights home from Rio on our own dime.

13 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

I am grateful for all responses, I am just trying to get as much detail as I can to make this pricey decision. Thanks all!

A few things to consider.  Only YOU know if your frequent flyer points are worth $1000. No one can make that choice for you.  For me, we purchase the cruise on our Frequent Flyer credit card so we get points for that.  But I wouldn't pay $1000 for points, I personally don't think it's a tradeoff of value for me, but again, only you can decide about what's of value to you.

As for the $75 call fee.... it's not per person, but a single fee, it's applied to the $175 deviation fee for one person, so you are still at a total of $175 per person if you deviate.  Once a deviation is agreed upon and booked, any further calls about that flight, no matter the question, is free. You only get charged the $75 if you call about a NEW deviation.  If you reject the deviation the $75 is non refundable and a new call would be a new deviation.  

As for airline pricing... these are dynamic so they're constantly changing (almost daily it seems).  With Regent it's an agreed upon cost if you deviate.  You can find flights at contract rates so no up charge, or you can find flights with an up charge. I look for flights that are sold at a cheaper cost, i.e. not non-stop, but with a stop that is comfortable for me. Those are usually at or closer to the contract rates.  But once you're negotiating with Regent, it never hurts to ask.  We've paid the up charge for non stops a couple times because for me it's worth it.  But it may not be worth it to you. Again, a personal decision.    

As for Business Class perks, Regent books you on Restricted Business Class.  As of now this is pretty much meaningless with U.S. airlines.  You get all the perks of any other Business Class ticket.  But some international airlines you do NOT get advance seat choice and on Qatar, no lounge entry.  So look at this carefully and decide how valuable those perks are. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

American has rescinded that proposed policy to only allow miles to be earned on direct and preferred travel agency bookings and fired the executive who proposed it. They have said, however, that they may consider implementing such a policy at some time in the future.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 1

I also understand that they will not be restricting, at least in some part, available seats to 'outside' parties such as RSSC. Might be more available air choices in future I am hoping!

• Like 3

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you get flights thru Regent and there are last minute delays or itinerary changes, the will adjust your flights accordingly. With all of the issues around the world this was important to me. In addition, even with a $500 deviation on one flight, going thru RSSC saved me about $2500.

32 minutes ago, CardowMD said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you get flights thru Regent and there are last minute delays or itinerary changes, the will adjust your flights accordingly. With all of the issues around the world this was important to me. In addition, even with a $500 deviation on one flight, going thru RSSC saved me about $2500.

Believe you are incorrect. Ticket contract clearly states regent is not responsible for third party bookings which include flights. It is true at times regent has been proactive with flight issues and provides a phone number for travel issues but cannot be aware of all flight changes and delays. 

IMHO best to attempt to contact regent while also contacting your airline yourself in person on the phone or website. Only the airline can finalize flight changes as regrnt still has to go thru them  being proactive is your best action.  Good luck on your flights and cruise. 

By the way ethos is the reason many people deviate to arrive day(s) early. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Believe you are incorrect. Ticket contract clearly states regent is not responsible for third party bookings which include flights. It is true at times regent has been proactive with flight issues and provides a phone number for travel issues but cannot be aware of all flight changes and delays.

True enough, for airline initiated changes, but doesn't Regent step in an get you a new air itinerary if the ship is delayed or changes it's disembarcation port?  Of course, at that point it will not be your carefully chosen deviation, just whatever they can find.

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

True enough, for airline initiated changes, but doesn't Regent step in a get you a new air itinerary if the ship is delayed or changes it's disembarcation port?  Of course, at that point it will not be your carefully chosen deviation, just whatever they can find.

Likely they will step up but a completely different issue than asked aboutL