Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

7 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

If you choose a non-gateway airport, you'll pay extra for that, but I don't think that's a deviation fee.

The non-gateway airport fee and the deviation fee are separate things and if you do both you pay both.

12 minutes ago, Playtennis said:

We are booking our first cruise on Regent; a trip from Rome to Miami.  We plan on spending two weeks or so in northern Italy before the cruise.  How long before the cruise can you use a deviation?

Thank you.

270 days prior to embarkation day.

Thanks Dave for the quick reply.  Let me make sure I've got this correct....The cruise starts on, say, December 1st.  I can use the Regent air 270 days before (somewhere around April)?

If I've read the policy correctly I would have to have paid in full for the cruise to be able to do that.

K

6 minutes ago, Playtennis said:

Thanks Dave for the quick reply.  Let me make sure I've got this correct....The cruise starts on, say, December 1st.  I can use the Regent air 270 days before (somewhere around April)?

If I've read the policy correctly I would have to have paid in full for the cruise to be able to do that.

K

First of all you do not have to have paid in full.  You do have to pay the deviation fee  of $175pp once you reach agreement with Regent Air and that is non-refundable but, the rest of your payments are due the same time if you didn't deviate.

You said "use" the Regent Air and don't understand what that means so I'll clarify.  At exactly 270 days prior to embarkation, based on December 1 that would be March 6.   On that date Regent Air will take your request and suggested flights and start working with you to reach agreement.

Any further questions, simply ask and I'll respond if I know.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:53 PM, rallydave said:

First of all you do not have to have paid in full.  You do have to pay the deviation fee  of $175pp once you reach agreement with Regent Air and that is non-refundable but, the rest of your payments are due the same time if you didn't deviate.

You said "use" the Regent Air and don't understand what that means so I'll clarify.  At exactly 270 days prior to embarkation, based on December 1 that would be March 6.   On that date Regent Air will take your request and suggested flights and start working with you to reach agreement.

Any further questions, simply ask and I'll respond if I know.

Not concerned about pre-cruise, but what about post-cruise.  Our cruise arrives in Cape Town and we are planning to stay a week or less to go on safari.  So what is the length of time a deviation can be used?  And can we fly out of Johannesburg, South Africa, instead of Cape Town?  

Thanks,

Bill

8 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Not concerned about pre-cruise, but what about post-cruise.  Our cruise arrives in Cape Town and we are planning to stay a week or less to go on safari.  So what is the length of time a deviation can be used?  And can we fly out of Johannesburg, South Africa, instead of Cape Town?  

Thanks,

Bill

Believe Regent will allow you 30 before embarkation and 30 days after disembarkation to utilize deviations for air so your week or less should be just fine.  You will be responsible for getting from the ship to Johannesburg and pretty sure they will book your flights from there.  Since that is not a normal airport for Regent to use likely no contract flights so might get a flight upcharge with your deviation.

In any case you cannot start the deviation process until the 270 days prior to embarkation.  Best to have your TA or you contact the air desk to confirm my thoughts.  As to possible upcharge for Johannesburg can't find that out until the 270 day mark when you start working with the air desk for your flights  Will be glad to answer any further question or clarify if I didn't answer this question.

On our first and second cruise to South Africa on Regent, we ended up with included flights out of Johannesburg. With the first one an included safari was near JoB so our flights were out of there so was an included flight. On our 2nd cruise we didn't care for the flights out of CapeTown so they allowed us to fly from CT to JoB at no extra charge. Though as Rallydave said there may be an upcharge you may be okay because JoB seems to have more flight options and Regent was happy to accommodate our request at no extra charge.   As he also said you won't know for sure until you are able to deviate. 

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Considering a Regent cruise and have read many, but not all of the 800+ posts.  One question: is the deviation fee each way, e.g., $350 pp or $175 pp in total for R/T?  RSSC.com from what I saw does not document this at all - the exact price never mind if one way or R/T, just some nebulous language.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:
  • Considering a Regent cruise and have read many, but not all of the 800+ posts.  One question: is the deviation fee each way, e.g., $350 pp or $175 pp in total for R/T?  RSSC.com from what I saw does not document this at all - the exact price never mind if one way or R/T, just some nebulous language.

Thanks!

The $175 deviation fee covers round-trip flights. If you are using Regent air only one-way, the deviation fee is still $175. Hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

27 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Thanks Dave, very helpful and could change the equation for the domestic part (looking at a Trans Atlantic starting in MIA).  

Remember you can get a credit for the domestic flight and deviate for the return home as well. Multiple ways to use the deviation and/or credit. 

7 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Remember you can get a credit for the domestic flight and deviate for the return home as well. Multiple ways to use the deviation and/or credit. 

That is exactly what we likely will do, as we also are considered a "secondary airport", which I don't know how they decide that as we can get most places in the world either non-stop or 1 stop, that adds another $124.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this is the right place to post this question to the collective wisdom of this board.  First, a little background: My wife and I are booked for the Tokyo to Tokyo cruise in March 2022.  (It really isn't that far off now; I was informed I could actually start booking shore excursions starting tomorrow so this cruise is starting to get real!)  

Anyway, Regent offers a $5.5K credit if one books their own air.  I live in SoCal so LAX is our gateway of choice and after doing a quick search of the Chase Reserve travel site, it looks like I can get a $4.2K round trip business class flight on Singapore Air.  (I double-checked on the Singapore Air site and there is an even cheaper fare if I choose to make the flight non-refundable.)

So for those who are experienced using the Regent air service, what are the advantages?  But at what price point/savings is Regent air package perhaps not an advantage?  And maybe for those who have been to Japan to cruise on Regent (I have not), is it better to fly into Narita (where Singapore Air does) or Haneda (where AA does and what I assume would be the carrier that Regent would use.  As a personal preference, for a business class trip, give me Singapore Air over AA any day but this is me.)

TIA!

RK

The big advantage is that using regent air should anything change the risk is on regent as most people use non refundable flights which are many times a problem to change without a loss. Included transfers avoid finding your own transfer and cost. 

Can’t help with which airport is better and generally regent will use the least costly flight so no telling if you don’t deviate you won’t know your flights until approx 75 days before departure. Even using lax you might not get a non stop or a convenient schedule. Deviating helps costs $175 pp but you cannot start the process until 270 days prior to departure but if you want a ore or post cruise schedule gave to deviate. Singapore schedule is usually available 360 days other airlines 330 days out. Deviating can also result in upcharge  in these days of unknowns using regent is a positive. 

Singapore Air sounds great to me--I've not flown them, but everyone I know who has says they are wonderful, even in Coach.

I always go through the dance of comparison with Regent Air, and if I can get it cheaper, we roll our own.  Right now I'd take the refundable flight, myself.  All you really lose are the ground transfers.

Hi rkaratsu. My wife and I are on this same cruise. We have done both air with Regent and our own air in the past. I like using Regent because the transfers are included and when traveling to an airport I haven’t been to, that is reassuring for us. Also, with all the uncertainty, if changes get made last minute, it is Regent’s problem. When Covid hit we got disembarked from our cruise in Perth Australia and Regent did a great job of getting us home with minimal worries. Some of the folks who had done their own air really had to scramble. 

We have had good luck getting decent flights out of LAX going west in the past.

Also, We are continuing on the Explorer so our air credit would the as large as yours (only one -way).

rkaratsu:

Certainly hope your March, 2022 Tokyo-Tokyo Explorer cruise goes. 

Added reason:  We are, at this point, hoping for the April 15, 2022 Tokyo-San Francisco Mariner segment.  This will be a replacement for the canceled April, 2021 Explorer, Tokyo to Vancouver, BC cruise.  Both involve(ed) a three-day pre-stay at Tokyo before boarding.    

Background is provided, as we made our own flight arrangements for the 2021 cruise.  That involved utilizing FF miles to fly All Nippon Airlines (ANA), N/S SEATAC to Haneda Airport, Tokyo.  We plan a similar booking (Business-First in Row 2) as soon as permitted, which will be in less than a month.     

This is another possible option you might want to consider, as ANA has similar N/S service from LAX to Haneda.  And--pertinent to your inquiry, Haneda is much closer to the downtown Tokyo area.  This is one aspect worth considering if you do your own air.  We ALWAYS plan arrival at the embarkation city at-least a day ahead of actual boarding whether or not utilizing Regent's air program or using FF miles.  This is to account for last-minute glitches due to weather, canceled flights, pilot strikes, and such.  

Such stuff does happen.  This should not be an issue in 2022, as we will arrive three days early.  Our TA advises Regent WILL pick us up at the Haneda Airport, as our day of arrival is the first of the three-day Pre-Stay.  It should be a quick ride to the downtown hotel near the Imperial Gardens/Grounds Regent will utilize.  Again--this is a hoped-for situation.  

We have flown both Singapore Air and ANA Business Class (sometimes booked as Business/First depending on the plane seat configuration) on numerous occasions on long-haul flights.  Cannot relate any difference in service levels.  Last two times doing this rodeo, it was on ANA.  Certainly, both exceed AA, for-sure at the Business Class level.  

Just something you might want to look into.  If it were just a toss-up between using Singapore Air for arrival at Narita; or AA to arrive at Haneda--not even a close call.  You will be on a 12.5 hour flight.  Go with Singapore.  

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your input/ideas!  I definitely have some decisions to make.  But I have a question for you GOARMY: I will be staying in Concierge class so will be flying in a day early (and also will do the post-cruise excursion with Regent.)  So if I book my own air, am I still eligible for the Regent transfers?  (I didn't think so but it sounded like you we able to take advantage of this even though you booked your own air.)

For me this isn't a total deal breaker in that the price of Singapore Air (Business Class no less) is still significantly less expensive than the Regent air credit. (Haven't checked yet but I am pretty sure I can cover the transfers with the savings even if I have to go to Narita rather than Haneda.)  And the two experiences I have had flying SQ were pretty amazing.  Just need to weigh the pros and cons of possibly getting grounded pre-cruise in LA or stranded in Tokyo. (I can think of worse places to be sure...)  

365 days (from today) and counting...

RK

1 hour ago, rkaratsu said:

Thanks all for your input/ideas!  I definitely have some decisions to make.  But I have a question for you GOARMY: I will be staying in Concierge class so will be flying in a day early (and also will do the post-cruise excursion with Regent.)  So if I book my own air, am I still eligible for the Regent transfers?  (I didn't think so but it sounded like you we able to take advantage of this even though you booked your own air.)

RK

You won’t get a Regent transfer to the hotel when you arrive. You will get a transfer from the Regent hotel to the pier on embarkation day. However, the post-cruise Regent excursion does include a transfer to Narita or Haneda airports. If you book your own air you have to ensure that Regent has up-to-date flight information at least 14 days before your cruise begins or the transfer will not be arranged. Hope this helps.

Dave

rkaratsu:

Deviating from my propensity to wander off course--will try to stay focused responding to your latest.  

Just reviewed DaveFe's Posting.  His answer is No.  You pay for the airport-hotel transfer.  Just to be sure, as I cannot recall a situation where we have dealt with this aspect--Coordinate this aspect with your Travel Agent (TA) and/or a Regent representative.  Do this early-on.  Thus, no surprises.  

Just keep in mind:  should any issue intervene which messes-up your flight, you are on your own to deal with it allowing arrival at the departure Pier that next day in time to catch the ship.  Time, and Tide wait for no Man or Woman.       

We have benefited by utilizing a seasoned TA for many years with specific experience while aboard all Regent ships (sans Splendor) when figuring out nuances of a particular itinerary.  Were due to be on Splendor on March 14, 2020 with that TA and TA's spouse for a cruise through the Panama Canal to Miami.  Had cruised with them before--together with about 120 of their Clients--in March/April 2017 when on two segments of Explorer's inaugural season. 

That's history.   Unfortunately, the Splendor cruise was canceled on March 13th when we were at Regent's designated San Diego hotel.  (Concierge booking.)

This is relevant.  There is no substitute for experience.  Have had several conversations with TA as to how to configure this hoped-for April-May 2022 Mariner journey from Tokyo to San Francisco.  This is a work-in-progress. 

We will Not have a Concierge booking.  (You are planning to.)  There is no need for us to be Concierge, as we are at Platinum Level which affords most Concierge benefits--including No Charge for one Deviation Air booking.  Also, you are doing a Post-cruise extension; we are doing the Pre-cruise "Vibrant Tokyo" Add-on. 

We will (hopefully) get that Haneda Airport pickup and transfer to Regent's downtown Tokyo hotel on April 12th while doing our own air (All Nippon Airlines, Business/First) because that is the first day of that Add-on. Rationale:  From past experiences, first day of these Add-Ons tend to be, basically, on your own.  No scheduled Tours. Participants arrive at various times during the day.  Just get to the designated hotel and recover from jetlag.  But, that first day does count. 

Also--and this is important just for peace of mind:  Our Pre-Stay status ensures Regent will cover our April 15th transfer from hotel to Mariner even thought we are not Concierge. 

Please advise as to results of your follow-up inquiries with your TA and/or a Regent representative on this aspect.  It would be of benefit to us all. 

In the interim--let us hope each of our cruises actually happen.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Review of another Post.

7 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Just keep in mind:  should any issue intervene which messes-up your flight, you are on your own to deal with it allowing arrival at the departure Pier that next day in time to catch the ship.  Time, and Tide wait for no Man or Woman.       

While this is true, it can also be true when using Regent Air.  Unfortunately many people believe Regent is responsible to take care of any flight issues, and oftentimes Regent does take care of these issues, it is extremely clear in the Terms and Conditions that Regent has no responsibility for third party items Regent had booked for the passenger which includes flights.

Have read on these boards cases where Regent was proactive and took care of flight delays/flight changes while also reading about people being left at the gate or late to their embarkation ports even when contacting or attempting to contact Regent to solve the issues.

Remember, once you have a flight ticket you are in the same category as any other flight passenger and while phoning Regent for help, it is incumbent on you to do the exact same thing any other passenger who bought their own ticket and that is to que up and work with the airline personnel to get the next available flight to your destination.  You see Regent has to do the exact same thing and that is to contact the airline so you are simply shortcutting the wait time by getting in line while phoning and psssibly leaving a message on the Regent voice mail.  Should Regent get the problem solved before you get to the front of the line, great but, if they don't you are now in a position to get your flithgs updaged.

Don't forget, with Business Class flights in most cases you are welcomed into the airlines Elite Lounge and the lines there will be shorter and the best airline agents are there to take care of those lounge passengers quickly and with generally much more experience while Regent in waiting in the phone que.  Whichever way you get your flights be proactive and don't simply sit around waiting for the phone call that may not come.

• Like 1

rallydave:  

How true your comments.  

For those who want a real-world example of "The Perfect Storm" related to an airline segment gone horribly wrong following completion of a Regent cruise, I commend reviewing the following.  

Go to Page 68.  CC Thread is "FYI, Navigator to Cancel Ports in Guatemala and Nicaragua."  Bear with me.  

My initial posts concerned our wonderful June, 2018 Navigator cruise from L.A. to NYC.  Continue on to Page 2.  Posted a few postscripts specifically concerning the chaotic, and pathetic June 24-25 experience--along with about 175 other fellow passengers--at Newark Airport attempting to return to SEATAC via United Flight 2151.  

If you have the stomach for it--read those final posts.  No access to United's Lounge--it was closed.  Whole airport basically closed-down; limited or no food; find a seat and wait, and wait throughout the night into the next morning in the cold Terminal.  At least--the roof didn't leak.  Finally, finally back to Seattle on PM of June 25th on another United plane.   

Given the amount of travel we have taken over the years, such was bound to happen. 

A final Postscript:  As we utilized Regent Air, a copy of my detailed complaint letter sent to United's Vice President, "Customer Care"  [snide aside:  Customer Care at Newark on the night of the 24th and throughout the morning of the 25th was an oxymoron] was furnished to our TA; and separately to Regent and the New Jersey Attorney General's Consumer Protection Office.  

I believe what finally prompted a response about 20 days' later from a very-nice, and totally contrite lady from United's Customer Care Department was intervention from Regent.  Most of our fares were credited back to our Credit Card, plus $150.00 VISA Gift Card; plus $300.00 transferrable electronic certificate for a future flight.  We applied that certificate when arranging a later 2018 flight for our son and two of our grandchildren from NYC to Seattle. 

Such is life. 

GOARMY!

• 3 weeks later...

As usual, Very helpful information about deviation. I have a different but related air deviation question.  Some background to set up my question. My wife and I were destined to go on our first Regent cruise from San Diego to Miami via Panama Canal on March 14th of 2020 in a distinctive suite.  Needless to say that didn’t happen. We cancelled on the 13th, the day before we had to fly to San Diego. So 100% future cruise credit vs 125% or refund. Feel that was the safest option given we both had medical conditions that would be dangerous if we got the virus. So we booked a Grand Suite on the Splendor transatlantic cruise (Miami to Barcelona April 2022). Some of the future cruise credit was left over (a couple of thousand). So here is my question: can we use this to pay for any of the air deviation fees? If not can we use it to book a post cruise hotel in Barcelona through Regent for a few nights?