Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, 06mike said:

If you have flown in and out of Barcelona in the past, how far is it distance wise from Regent cruise port to Barcelona airport?  Do you think much traffic on a Friday morning about 8 a.m.  We are cruising the Regent Explorer ship and arriving April 17, 2020 into Barcelona cruiseport.  Trying to figure how much time to allow for getting to airport and catching flight on that day.  

Sorry but i can't really help you. We have not travelled directly from the airport to the port or vice versa in Barcelona. We have started our cruises in Barcelona but not ended one there. Any we started we always went the day before so went to a hotel. Hopefully someone else has some information for you. 

1 hour ago, 06mike said:

If you have flown in and out of Barcelona in the past, how far is it distance wise from Regent cruise port to Barcelona airport?  Do you think much traffic on a Friday morning about 8 a.m.  We are cruising the Regent Explorer ship and arriving April 17, 2020 into Barcelona cruiseport.  Trying to figure how much time to allow for getting to airport and catching flight on that day.  

There's a wonderful little tool called Google Maps.  Even works for overseas destinations.

You could plug in your start and end points, as well as when you plan to leave the cruise port (day of week as well as time)

Doing that for your trip says that it's a 10 mile trip, with an average travel time of 22 to 30 minutes.  A data-driven answer compiled from thousands of data points.

Try it...see what you find.

(And it works for places other than Barcelona too!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 06mike said:

Did port to airport in September. on a Tuesday @ 8 AM; traffic was heavy . Took 30-40 minutes. Also allow for getting off ship to your ride. Ship arrive at about 6AM but our luggage wasn't available dockside until 8:30. There were lots of cabs even though 2 large ships also arrived that morning.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, 06mike said:

As others have said, it is rush hour on  a Friday so could take 45 minutes or so.  There is an old saying on CC don't book a flight before about noon.  Never if the ship will dock on time or how long to get off the ship and get luggage to the taxi.  Or traffic jams on the way to the airport.  You don't need stress on your last day.

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell me if this is what your experience has been with an air deviation request. This is the first time that I am doing an air deviation with Regent. I requested and received an air deviation for an American Airlines direct flight from Dallas to London (and return). I paid the air deviation fee of $175/person. Regent assigned business class seats. I was under the impression that I would be able to change seat assignments once I paid the non refundable deviation fee but Regent is telling me that I won't be able to select an alternate seat until I pay for my cruise in its' entirety. It's quite possible that I misunderstood the rules so I wanted to check it out with experienced Regent travelers. Thank you.

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Please tell me if this is what your experience has been with an air deviation request. This is the first time that I am doing an air deviation with Regent. I requested and received an air deviation for an American Airlines direct flight from Dallas to London (and return). I paid the air deviation fee of $175/person. Regent assigned business class seats. I was under the impression that I would be able to change seat assignments once I paid the non refundable deviation fee but Regent is telling me that I won't be able to select an alternate seat until I pay for my cruise in its' entirety. It's quite possible that I misunderstood the rules so I wanted to check it out with experienced Regent travelers. Thank you.

I book through a TA and I  just email her after I have checked a seating chart for the flight in question and she has it changed to my preferred seats within hours.  Have also done it myself, with no problem.  Just ask for the airline reservation number.

I have always been able to select seats on the airline website after a deviation. However I have not used a Regent deviation with American Airlines. The terms of Regent’s contract with American will control the situation.

Did Regent give you the American Airlines record locator for your reservation? If so, I would go to the AA website, use the record locator to view your reservation, and try to change your assigned seats.

If you do not have the record locator, I suggest calling American and seeing if they will allow you to change seats on your flights now.  Hope this helps.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me how Regent handles cancellation fees if you book 

your flights ( using deviation) through them. If we have to cancel, I understand that doing so 

151 days prior to departure you would suffer a $100 pp penalty. How about the airline

is there a penalty attached there too? Our balance is do in April for a September sailing.

Just wondering about the airline situation if it is booked now?

17 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

Can someone please tell me how Regent handles cancellation fees if you book 

your flights ( using deviation) through them. If we have to cancel, I understand that doing so 

151 days prior to departure you would suffer a $100 pp penalty. How about the airline

is there a penalty attached there too? Our balance is do in April for a September sailing.

Just wondering about the airline situation if it is booked now?

You will be stuck with the deviation fee which is non-refundable as soon as you pay it.  You also have the $100 pp cancelation which can be put on a new booking within a year.  No issue with airline cancellation fee as if there is one, they cover it but, in most cases they are just holding your reservation at this time and no cancellation fee but, not your problem,

By the way that is one advantage to using Regent air vs. purchasing your own flights.  Most flights are non-refundable once bought but, not if you take Regent Air and personal issues or schedule changes do not affect you if they occur with Regent Air but, can be quite expensive if you purchase your own flights.

Edited by rallydave

If I want to book a flight with Regent Air using deviation, what happens if I am on a very long cruise, let's say for example a World Cruise, lasting about 4 months.  There will be a large time gap between the initial flight and the return flight, and the return flight may not be posted yet at 270 days before the start of the cruise.  Would I then need to wait until both flights are available, or would I book them at separate times.  If the latter, when would the return flight become available to book through Regent Air?  Presumably they are routinely booking the flights longer than 270 days before the return flight, but not that much longer.

13 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

If I want to book a flight with Regent Air using deviation, what happens if I am on a very long cruise, let's say for example a World Cruise, lasting about 4 months.  There will be a large time gap between the initial flight and the return flight, and the return flight may not be posted yet at 270 days before the start of the cruise.  Would I then need to wait until both flights are available, or would I book them at separate times.  If the latter, when would the return flight become available to book through Regent Air?  Presumably they are routinely booking the flights longer than 270 days before the return flight, but not that much longer.

Don't have the exact answer so would suggest you have your TA contact Regent and should be able to get an answer quickly.  Pretty sure the 270 days out for booking is to be able to book any air for trips a minimum of 60 in length up to 85 days out.

For sure your return will not be scheduled at the 270 day mark for a four month world cruise.  Flights are available a minimum of 330 days out and some foreign airlines up to 355 days out.  Expect they would ask you to wait until your return flights were available and that would require a wait of about 60-90 days because they could not confirm the full itinerary until the return is available.  Could be risky to book the outgoing and then find no acceptable return plus they might want to charge double deviation fee for doing the scheduling twice.  Also could be a contracts problem when contracts with the airlines are not in place at the 270 day mark and have read about that occurring although infrequent.

Best to have your TA get the correct answer or phone yourself.  Should be a relatively simple answer to get.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

Well, I'm on a WC next year, but 4 months is about 120 days or less, so it shouldn't be a problem for me, because I probably won't be flying in to start.  But yes, I guess if you were booking round-trip, not sure what they'd do.  Maybe they would split it.

1 minute ago, SusieQft said:

I had the impression that the deviation fee applied twice if you use it on both the initial and return flights.  Is this not the case?  I know the penalty for using the wrong airport does apply separately to each flight.

The deviation fee of $175 covers round trip or one way.  Once you accept your flight schedule you pay the non-refundable $175 and if you find later you have to change your flights, it is another $175.

FYI, you can get a credit for the full round trip or one way only and take Regent Air for the other way.  This is why the deviation fee covers round trip or one way.  We did a TA and deviated for the return only and got a credit for the domestic flight to Miami.  Paid the same $175 as we would have for the round trip.

Hope this explains your options.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I had the impression that the deviation fee applied twice if you use it on both the initial and return flights.  Is this not the case?  I know the penalty for using the wrong airport does apply separately to each flight.

No, it's just one fee.  Unless you decided to do this at different times, and then they might decide it was a separate "incident", and charge you another administration-like fee.

And I've never been charged a penalty for using a different airport.  What they do do is charge you any extra amount to book flights that they don't have contracted.  But in fact we flew home from a different airport in SA a couple of years ago and there was no extra charge.  Each case is different.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Wendy The Wanderer said:

No, it's just one fee.  Unless you decided to do this at different times, and then they might decide it was a separate "incident", and charge you another administration-like fee.

And I've never been charged a penalty for using a different airport.  What they do do is charge you any extra amount to book flights that they don't have contracted.  But in fact we flew home from a different airport in SA a couple of years ago and there was no extra charge.  Each case is different.

Wendy, think SuzieQft is talking about the fee to fly from a non-Gateway city and that is a fee for each direction.  Assume for your World Cruise you are planning on taking the flight credit both ways since you Winter in Florida??

Just now, rallydave said:

Wendy, think SuzieQft is talking about the fee to fly from a non-Gateway city and that is a fee for each direction.  Assume for your World Cruise you are planning on taking the flight credit both ways since you Winter in Florida??

Oh right, I see, sorry for the misunderstanding.  No, our WC ends in Barcelona, so we'll be flying home from there (whether to Florida or Canada remains to be seen.)

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Oh right, I see, sorry for the misunderstanding.  No, our WC ends in Barcelona, so we'll be flying home from there (whether to Florida or Canada remains to be seen.)

Well then while you won't have to worry about round trip, you will not be able to book your Regent Air at the 270 day mark as no airline will have flights available at that point. so at the 270 day mark, depending on the airline you will need to wait approx 30 to 60 days before flights are available for your return for Regent to book the return.

3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Well then while you won't have to worry about round trip, you will not be able to book your Regent Air at the 270 day mark as no airline will have flights available at that point. so at the 270 day mark, depending on the airline you will need to wait approx 30 to 60 days before flights are available for your return for Regent to book the return.

Uh, semantics, not worried.  If we decide to do Regent Air one way, we'll book them 270 days before the end of the cruise, not the beginning.  No big deal.  But I'll probably get us a flight on points.

22 hours ago, rallydave said:

Wendy, think SuzieQft is talking about the fee to fly from a non-Gateway city and that is a fee for each direction.

For the first time we are booking from a non-gateway city and according to our TA the fee charged was for round trip not each way. 

23 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

For the first time we are booking from a non-gateway city and according to our TA the fee charged was for round trip not each way. 

It would make sense you TA would say that if you are round trip from a non-gateway city and using the air both ways.  Copied the below from a TA's website regrading non-gateway pricing:

"Free" air is not available for all airport gateways.

Air inclusive pricing is offered for 22 primary gateways. The gateways are Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Halifax, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Newark, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington, and West Palm BeachOther gateway cities, where available, require a supplement of $99 to $249 per person, each way.

14 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Oh, and by the way, could anyone tell me what carriers Regent would generally use from Barcelona or Madrid to Miami (or better yet Tampa, but I know that's doubtful.)

Could be any carrier, on any routing.  It completely depends on the current contracts that Regent has, along with the inventories available for Regent to access.

Past carriers may be a hint, but only as a backward-looking view of what past contracts included.

In addition, what someone else is receiving is no guarantee that you would get the same, as allocations are dependent on the inventory available.

So, although there are non-stops between Spain and MIA, you may or may not get them.

Wish I was more encouraging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Could be any carrier, on any routing.  It completely depends on the current contracts that Regent has, along with the inventories available for Regent to access.

Past carriers may be a hint, but only as a backward-looking view of what past contracts included.

In addition, what someone else is receiving is no guarantee that you would get the same, as allocations are dependent on the inventory available.

So, although there are non-stops between Spain and MIA, you may or may not get them.

Wish I was more encouraging.

That's okay, just wondering.  We'd be deviating for certain anyways, so I guess there'd be choices.  Haven't decided if we'll come back directly from Barcelona, or take some time in Madrid.

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

It would make sense you TA would say that if you are round trip from a non-gateway city and using the air both ways.  Copied the below from a TA's website regrading non-gateway pricing:

"Free" air is not available for all airport gateways.

Air inclusive pricing is offered for 22 primary gateways. The gateways are Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Halifax, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Newark, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington, and West Palm BeachOther gateway cities, where available, require a supplement of $99 to $249 per person, each way.

Now I am even more confused.  It makes sense that if I only use Regent Air in only one direction, the deviation fee "per person, each way" would apply.   The only way I can see CruzStart's TA making sense to say it is one charge round trip is if that charge is twice the one way charge, or if the last sentence from rallydave is not correct.  

I guess the way to know for sure is to ask for quotes both ways before I decide whether or not to drive myself to an approved gateway instead of flying from home.  For my two Regent bookings, I will drive to the port (in my nearest Regent "gateway" city) for the first one and have not decided yet whether or not to use Regent Air for the second in 2021.  The charge for non-gateway airports (in addition to the charge for deviation and the air credit) will probably tip the equation away from using Regent Air in general, which is unfortunate because that is one of the main reasons I was interested in trying Regent in the first place!