Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

Helios are sooo last decade...its "drones" now :cool:

Drones today, SkyNet tomorrow. Damn those Bay Area, Silicon Valley geeks!

I just dawned on me, the new passports have an RFID . . .

Edited by CPT Trips

On flights between cities within the Schengen zone which carry non-Schengen passengers (virtually all international flights within the zone carry both Schengen and non-Schengen citizens) de planing passengers go through one of several lanes: Schengen and non-Schengen, and there are random checks of those passing through the Schengen lanes, otherwise no one would wait in line as a non-Schengen. Additionally, Euro ID cards are a lot more detailed (and harder to obtain) than many US states' drivers licenses.

It is true that some states require little documentation to get a DL. But in the REAL ID states there is not really any difference. Other states are close to REAL ID compliance, and require essentially the same info as is required for a Euro National ID card.

Once legally in the Schengen Area, one has free travel within the Area.

Edited by CPT Trips

It is true that some states require little documentation to get a DL. But in the REAL ID states there is not really any difference. Other states are close to REAL ID compliance, and require essentially the same info as is required for a Euro National ID card.

Once legally in the Schengen Area, one has free travel within the Area.

Right - and there are random checks to verify that those so traveling freely are legally in the Schengen zone : ie they are expected to have passports or national ID cards.

On flights between cities within the Schengen zone which carry non-Schengen passengers (virtually all international flights within the zone carry both Schengen and non-Schengen citizens) de planing passengers go through one of several lanes: Schengen and non-Schengen, and there are random checks of those passing through the Schengen lanes, otherwise no one would wait in line as a non-Schengen. Additionally, Euro ID cards are a lot more detailed (and harder to obtain) than many US states' drivers licenses.

This still doesn't refute my original point...which was that Schengen citizens don't need a passport to travel within the zone. An identity card is not a passport...and these days in the US a drivers license can be very difficult to obtain in many states...the requirements have changed in states issuing a REAL ID compliant license. I had to present more documentation to obtain my last drivers license than I needed to obtain a passport. In fact I used my passport as part of my documentation to obtain my last drivers license.

This still doesn't refute my original point...which was that Schengen citizens don't need a passport to travel within the zone. An identity card is not a passport...and these days in the US a drivers license can be very difficult to obtain in many states...the requirements have changed in states issuing a REAL ID compliant license. I had to present more documentation to obtain my last drivers license than I needed to obtain a passport. In fact I used my passport as part of my documentation to obtain my last drivers license.

But the point is close to pointless. A Schengen citizen does not need a passport to travel within the zone, but he must be prepared to show, upon request, that he is a Schengen citizen; all of whom from about age 12 or 14, depending upon the laws of his individual country, must possess a form of national ID: either a passport or national ID card - which makes most US state drivers licenses look like playthings.

Yes, they have the right to travel internationally within the zone, but they must be able to prove, upon request, that that have that right.

But the point is close to pointless. A Schengen citizen does not need a passport to travel within the zone, but he must be prepared to show, upon request, that he is a Schengen citizen; all of whom from about age 12 or 14, depending upon the laws of his individual country, must possess a form of national ID: either a passport or national ID card - which makes most US state drivers licenses look like playthings.

Yes, they have the right to travel internationally within the zone, but they must be able to prove, upon request, that that have that right.

They have that right to travel internationally within the zone without a passport...that is a fact and no amount of verbal dancing on your part can refute that. An identity card isn't a passport...that is also a fact.

It doesn't matter whether in your opinion I've made a "pointless point"... facts aren't changed, refuted or disputed by opinions.

Another good reason to have a passport.

If you should lose your license and need it replaced, you might be required to produce several forms of ID and if you don't have your license, what are you going to use in addition to a BC? A passport, of course.

Crossing an internal Schengen border, say from Germany to France, is no more difficult for anyone than crossing from PA to MD. There are documents, other than a passport or national ID card, that a citizen of a Schengen country can use to establish their right to be there.

If you should lose your license and need it replaced, you might be required to produce several forms of ID and if you don't have your license, what are you going to use in addition to a BC? A passport, of course.

Every state I've ever been in will mail a new licence to your home address. Milliions of Americans survive just fine withtout a passport. They may be nice-to-have, but for many they simply are not necessary.

When something is expensive and nice-to-have but not necessary, the family has to make a careful decision on whether or not to get it. I think we all should respect each family's decision, even if they make a decision that is different from what you would make.

True story: once lost my wallet on New Year's Eve. Not that much cash - maybe $20 or so - but every single piece of ID I had... including some pieces that I didn't usually carry with me but happened to have in my wallet that day. Literally the ONLY piece of ID I had left was my passport, safely tucked away at home. Used that to get my driver's license, and used that and DL for everything else, which required 2 pieces of ID to replace.

True story: once lost my wallet on New Year's Eve. Not that much cash - maybe $20 or so - but every single piece of ID I had... including some pieces that I didn't usually carry with me but happened to have in my wallet that day. Literally the ONLY piece of ID I had left was my passport, safely tucked away at home. Used that to get my driver's license, and used that and DL for everything else, which required 2 pieces of ID to replace.

That was my point. :)

Every state I've ever been in will mail a new licence to your home address. Milliions of Americans survive just fine withtout a passport. They may be nice-to-have, but for many they simply are not necessary.

When something is expensive and nice-to-have but not necessary, the family has to make a careful decision on whether or not to get it. I think we all should respect each family's decision, even if they make a decision that is different from what you would make.

Not NJ, unless you were born prior to 12/1/1964 then you get it by mail. Lost or stolen license, born after 12/2/1964, you must go to an office with 6 points of proof of ID. Passport is worth 4 points as well as a BC, but if you were born in Jersey City (like me) your BC is invalid prior to 2002 :confused: Not exactly sure the cutoff year, I found out in 2002 about my BC being void thankfully after getting my passport. So, according to New Jersey I was never born but hatched!!!

Schwing...Party on ....

Not NJ, unless you were born prior to 12/1/1964 then you get it by mail. Lost or stolen license, born after 12/2/1964, you must go to an office with 6 points of proof of ID. Passport is worth 4 points as well as a BC, but if you were born in Jersey City (like me) your BC is invalid prior to 2002 :confused: Not exactly sure the cutoff year, I found out in 2002 about my BC being void thankfully after getting my passport. So, according to New Jersey I was never born but hatched!!!

If they would refuse you birth certificate as ID and your passport is only 4 points, your license is lost so what other ID would they accept as sufficient ID? A Social Security card? I don't suppose a marriage license would be helpful?

Can you use your passport in reverse..... to get a 'new style' birth certificate that is considered valid by New Jersey seeing your original is void? (that is wierd to refuse legitimately issued BC :eek:)

Edited by sail7seas

If they would refuse you birth certificate as ID and your passport is only 4 points, your license is lost so what other ID would they accept as sufficient ID? A Social Security card? I don't suppose a marriage license would be helpful?

Can you use your passport in reverse..... to get a 'new style' birth certificate that is considered valid by New Jersey seeing your original is void? (that is wierd to refuse legitimately issued BC :eek:)

Look here http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/6PointID.htm

Hudson County Government was so crooked that birth certs are frequently fraudulent . . . They are presumed to be not legitimate for good reason.

I have to point out that the only good reason to have a passport is for international travel. That it may have other uses or benefits is icing on the cake.

There is a variety of documents you can use to make up the two points:

The MVC accepts hundreds of different

documents, but some are much more common

than others. Try one of these combinations to

pass 6 Point ID Verification:

• Civil birth certificate (4 pts, primary)

• Civil marriage certificate (3 pts, secondary)

• Utility bill less than 90 days old

(address verification)

• Current NJ photo driver license (1 pt,

secondary)

• ATM card with name and signature

(1 pt, secondary)

• Credit card bill less than 90 days old

(address verification)

New driver?

• Civil birth certificate (4 pts, primary)

• Social Security card (1 pt, secondary)

• Bank statement or record (1 pt, secondary)

• Parent/guardian address verification

What wit and intellect!

Your comments are pathetically juvenile and beneath contempt.

Awww come on! You will live a longer happier life if you lighten up! :)

Your first characterization of me is only half right. :D The second is spot on! :D Being juvenile is my cure for getting old and crabby. :cool: