Possible Oceania Convert - help please

Chunky2219

DW and I have planned to try one of the premium or luxury lines for quite a while, but we always seem to end up with just the perfect voyage in Cunard Queens Grill. So that's the benchmark. We've done everything from Q7 to Q1.

But I've spotted a really nice looking Oceania itinerary on Marina, so we might see about squeezing into a (slightly) smaller PH cabin than we're used to and I'm looking for any advice and feedback.

So, how will we find the comparison, especially food wise? Do any of the restaurants carry an additional cover charge, or are they all free? The smart casual vibe and the lack of formal dress isn't going to be a major loss for us.

Being a smaller ship, albeit 1000+, how about heavy seas and is it more important to get a midships cabin? How about accessability for boarding with a wheelchair?

How about the excursions and the pricing? And finally, can you offer any experience of the deals with free flights - are they good or are you crammed into a budget airline with close to zero baggage allowance?

Anything else would be fine, please fire away!

Thanks.

But I've spotted a really nice looking Oceania itinerary on Marina, so we might see about squeezing into a (slightly) smaller PH cabin than we're used to and I'm looking for any advice and feedback.

So, how will we find the comparison, especially food wise?

Food is subjective but O gets rave reviews on food quality

Do any of the restaurants carry an additional cover charge, or are they all free?

La Reserve & Privee carry a surcharge others are included

How about the excursions and the pricing? Excursions are very pricey compared to Celebrity & other mainstream lines

And finally, can you offer any experience of the deals with free flights - are they good or are you crammed into a budget airline with close to zero baggage allowance?

They usually use regular sked flights

Anything else would be fine, please fire away!

Thanks.

See some answer above

Cannot help with comparing Cunard but please do come to the Oceania forum where you can get answers to your questions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

There's no reason to get upset. It's not meant as a putdown, only as a point of information. Just as I would send someone who posted on a Royal Caribbean board asking about Seabourn.

• 2 weeks later...
Oceania is not a luxury line so the comparison does not really belong on this board.

I'm not trying to be difficult - I honestly want to know who classifies what cruise lines as "luxury" and what are "premium"?

When you select "Luxury Cruises" on the CC home page, it takes you to a page that highlights Oceania Marina for a ship review. If CC is confused, then no wonder the OP was (and so am I).....:confused:

I'm not trying to be difficult - I honestly want to know who classifies what cruise lines as "luxury" and what are "premium"?

When you select "Luxury Cruises" on the CC home page, it takes you to a page that highlights Oceania Marina for a ship review. If CC is confused, then no wonder the OP was (and so am I).....:confused:

What is luxury to you is all that matters the long run.:)

For those of us who don't want formal nights, included alcohol and bus excursions but want great food and mature well travelled passengers wonderful service on beautiful ships Oceania is luxury despite some of the luxury line snobs who will tell you other wise. Come on over to the Oceania

forum.;)

When Frank Del Rio (CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings -- parent company of Oceania and Regent) talks about Oceania, he says it is "luxurious" while Regent is "luxury". It does seem that Oceania in particular crosses into the luxury category to a certain extent with their two over-the-top beautiful ships.

The four (or five) luxury cruise lines (not counting European cruise lines) that are designated luxury are Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea (and -- Seadream Yacht club -- luxury -- very small ships). The one thing they have in common is that they are all-inclusive and generally do not have a "class" system. Once you leave your suite, no one knows or cares if you are in the Master Suite or a suite in the lowest category. Inside cabins do not exist and, most suites have balconies on the newer ships. "Regular" cabins/suites are generally larger than "premium" cruise lines. I would estimate that luxury cruise ships carry an average of 500 passengers. Seabourn has the smallest ships while Crystal has the largest.

The most inclusive cruise line is Regent. In addition to included tips, and alcohol, they include airfare and many excursions. Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal do run specials that include air.

We are luxury cruise line customers because we do not want to think about signing for drinks or tipping. When a group of us get together, no thought is given to who is paying for that round of drinks. Larger cabins are also important to us as is the size of the ship. Ships smaller than 350 or larger than 700 are of no interest to us.

Hope this helps - at least a bit. It isn't easy to describe the difference between an ultra premium cruise line (Oceania) with their luxurious ships and luxury cruise lines -- most of which are nowhere near as luxurious as Oceania. Just my opinion!

What is luxury to you is all that matters the long run.:)

For those of us who don't want formal nights, included alcohol and bus excursions but want great food and mature well travelled passengers wonderful service on beautiful ships Oceania is luxury despite some of the luxury line snobs who will tell you other wise. Come on over to the Oceania

forum.;)

+1

I agree with you

the biggest whiners are the biggest snobs :rolleyes:

Thanks wripro. IMO, Regent and Oceania are whatever FDR says they are. He grew Oceania from the start -- he practically gave birth to it (in a good way). I have the very highest respect for Mr. Del Rio. If he differentiates Regent and Oceania by stating that one is "luxury" and one is "luxurious", who am I to argue with him? He has explained the differences and has also stated that Oceania is not in competition with Regent. If liking Regent, Seabourn, Crystal or Silversea makes us snobs -- so be it;)

Chunky2219, do suggest you do the math carefully when looking at premium cruise lines vs. luxury cruise lines. Many times when you look at the total fare and deduct the cost of airfare, alcohol, tips, etc., some luxury cruises are not any more expensive than premium cruises and you have less to think about.

I think I like the idea that the president of the company that owns Regent and Oceania draws a slight distinction (luxury v luxurious), and that in reality its simply a case of what's included in the fare, rather than anything else, that truly demarks the two.

As for being snobs, I don't think they check your pedigree or what country club you belong to before accepting your money for any of the cruise lines mentioned, so since anyone with the cash can go on any cruise ship, it really just comes down to personal preference. If some prefer one line over another because they think its somehow more "elitist", I think they're going to be disappointed. I know lots of people with a lot of money and no class whatsoever.

I wanted to ask about something I noticed elsewhere on the boards - about Berlitz and their classifications of what is luxury. Is that simply one company that does travel reviews making up their classifications based on their own internal criteria, or is it some industry standard that is universally accepted? If it's just the first, does Fodor's or any of the other travel review companies classify things differently?

Thanks!

I wanted to ask about something I noticed elsewhere on the boards - about Berlitz and their classifications of what is luxury. Is that simply one company that does travel reviews making up their classifications based on their own internal criteria, or is it some industry standard that is universally accepted? If it's just the first, does Fodor's or any of the other travel review companies classify things differently?

Thanks!

I am not sure there is a definite answer

Like hotel ratings one site will say it is a five star hotel while another may only give it a 3 star

I think Berlitz does have some good ratings but I have not checked their new publications in recent years

I think I like the idea that the president of the company that owns Regent and Oceania draws a slight distinction (luxury v luxurious), and that in reality its simply a case of what's included in the fare, rather than anything else, that truly demarks the two.

As for being snobs, I don't think they check your pedigree or what country club you belong to before accepting your money for any of the cruise lines mentioned, so since anyone with the cash can go on any cruise ship, it really just comes down to personal preference. If some prefer one line over another because they think its somehow more "elitist", I think they're going to be disappointed. I know lots of people with a lot of money and no class whatsoever.

Thanks!

From what I gathered from FDR, the "luxurious" referred to the ships (Riviera and Marina specifically). He seems to agree that Oceania is an upper premium cruise line.

I do think that Berlitz has developed their own classifications for cruise ships. The cruise lines I mentioned above are the ones I've seen classified and advertised as "luxury" in most publications (Conde Nast, etc.)

Posting that I was a snob was really tongue in cheek. If you looked at most Regent passengers you would never guess that they are sailing on a luxury cruise ship. And, from our experience, the ships themselves have a lot less glitz and glamour than most. Regent guests are well traveled, very social and enjoy the Regent experience (which is difficult to define).

Whether a person prefers Regent or Oceania is not necessarily a money decision. In order for us to sail in a similar size cabin on Oceania as we do on Regent, have included tips, drinks and *internet, it would cost the same as Regent. Many long time Regent customers wish we could opt out of included excursions. On the other hand, if someone like the OP wanted a premium or luxury experience -- did enjoy alcohol or wine on board, did not mind bus excursions and enjoyed flying business class (at a lesser cost than Oceania offers), Regent could be the right choice.

There is no right or wrong choice...... it is dependent upon your preferences.

*Note: Internet is only included for passengers who have sailed 21 nights or more on Regent.

It depends on the ships you are comparing

The Mariner GS is comparable to the Owners suites on the O class ships (2000 sq ft)

The other 2 Regent ships their GS is more the size of the VS on the O Class ships

The R-ships ..yes the suites are smaller than Regent

An OS is approx 1000 sq ft on Oceania

Oceania is running some promotions with free gratuities, free internet & OBC that would help deferre the cost of beverages (for some people) & busisness class upgrades

To some they find Cunard Luxury others may think a top suite on NCL is luxury

Some will only sail on "LUXURY" lines as defined by some unknown entity

Some will only sail in suites others will be happy just to be on the ship

Some like all inclusives so everything is taken care of for them... no thinking involved

Some people like to do their own excursions & like the thrill of researching the ports & discovering off the beaten path places

It is about personal choices & what works for your lifestyle

It would be nice if the labelling of cruise lines was not included in reviews, ratings & let people choose by what works for them

JMO

Thanks to all....

I think I will be just fine on a luxurious ship, which if not "luxury", certainly fits my needs.

It is a bit confusing to have a "special interest" discussion group for "luxury cruising" when that is not really defined.

I stumbled into this forum thinking it was a good place to get comparisons, rather than going to a board associated with a particular line. On those boards, you get a lot of "promotion from devotion" rather than objective views. Some folks seem almost offended if you say something even slightly critical of their "cruise line of choice".

I hope the OP got the insights they were looking for over on the O boards.

FreedomSeeker: You bring up an interesting point. Since the OP mentioned Oceania, a couple of us immediately suggested going over to the Oceania board. So, when you asked the question about defining luxury, you received answers only from Oceania and Regent (sister company) customers. This is not typical on the Luxury board. Perhaps you should post your question on the Luxury board as a separate topic. You will undoubtedly hear from posters who sail on Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal as well as Regent.

BTW, you're right -- there is definitely sibling rivalry between Regent and Oceania loyalists. The bottom line is that we're happy when people select to sail on either line:)

A Mercedes is a luxury car as are BMW, Lexus, Porsche, Audi and several others. A Buick is not. So if someone came on to a luxury car thread asking about a Buick would it not be correct to refer him/her to the Buick thread? Again, it's not meant as a putdown, only a way to inform.

A Mercedes is a luxury car as are BMW, Lexus, Porsche, Audi and several others. A Buick is not. So if someone came on to a luxury car thread asking about a Buick would it not be correct to refer him/her to the Buick thread? Again, it's not meant as a putdown, only a way to inform.

Of course that works, if everyone is aware that Buick is not a "luxury" car. The issue I have here is that Cruise Critic as a website is confused as to whether Oceania is "luxury". They have/had the Oceania Marina as a ship review on the first page you open when you go to their "luxury cruising" section.

So its understandable that someone less familiar with cruising might be lead to believe that Oceania is luxury and therefore the luxury cruising board is the right place to ask questions about that line.

And if that person was ONLY asking about Oceania, then of couse it makes sense to refer them to the Oceania boards.

BUT .....they were NOT asking solely about Oceania. They were asking for points of comparison with Cunard Grills..

So either they should be referred to two different boards to get balanced information, or there should be a "premium cruising" board that is not specific to any ONE line, or maybe this forum should be clearer about what it is for.

"luxury cruising" as a special interest group that isn't well defined makes it likely that misunderstnading and inappropriate postings will occur. The other groups seem much more well defined. Seniors 55+, gay and lesbian, river cruising, freighter and non-traditional etc.

Personally I would like them to do away with the LUXURY cruises forum

Even the 55+ forum is really not that useful

JMO

Agreed!

Both of these forums are basically dead and the 55 one never has anything but personal back and forth conversations not cruise related.

Archived