Two people missing from Carnival Cruise ship as it docks in Sydney

I really am so surprised and shocked, the seas were pretty calm last night..and we had some pretty big swells the previous few days. I can not believe that they could have fallen off... it makes no sense. The news said it happened at 8.50 last night. We were a long long long way out to sea at that time, They have been missing for a long time, it doesn't look good for them.:( I didn't realise how serious it was when i first heard it on the radio on the way home.

it is actually very sad news

I think we all know it is impossible to fall off these ships. The only reason people go missing is foul play, deliberate stupidity or suicide. Not a good look for the cruise industry and the media and cruise lines should probably dispense with saying "fell overboard"

The media have to say fell because to say anything else is opinion. There will be a coronial enquiry if they are not found and the media cannot speculate. Anything could have happened.

The Sydney morning herald now reporting that there is cc tv footage of them going overboard that is not very clear and now that they have the precise time and location there is a search and rescue 60 nautical miles north of forester. Does anyone know where or what forester is?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/search-for-cruise-ship-pair-feared-lost-at-sea-20130509-2j9v1.html

I think we all know it is impossible to fall off these ships. The only reason people go missing is foul play, deliberate stupidity or suicide. Not a good look for the cruise industry and the media and cruise lines should probably dispense with saying "fell overboard"

I used to think like you until my recent VOS cruise! The open decks below the lifeboats on VOS are very close to the water and the hand rail had swinging gates every 4 meters or so to load passengers on lifeboats as they are lowered.

these swinging gate parts of the rail were loose and could quite easily have swung open if the rusty lock bolt failed while leaned against. also the rail seemed a lot lower than normal handrails and I didnt feel quite as safe as normal when I leaned on them.

You are more than likely correct but you never know?

Den

The Sydney morning herald now reporting that there is cc tv footage of them going overboard that is not very clear and now that they have the precise time and location there is a search and rescue 60 nautical miles north of forester. Does anyone know where or what forester is?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/search-for-cruise-ship-pair-feared-lost-at-sea-20130509-2j9v1.html

Forster -Tuncurry is about 200 or 250 km north of Newcastle and south of Port Macquarie not north like the news article said. We spent our winter holiday there last year. Desert dwellers seem to like visit the sea, no matter the time of year.

Forster -Tuncurry is about 200 or 250 km north of Newcastle and south of Port Macquarie not north like the news article said. We spent our winter holiday there last year. Desert dwellers seem to like visit the sea, no matter the time of year.

Lol this sounds so funny after a few beers:)

"Desert dwellers seem to like visit the sea, no matter the time of year"

I have only had 3 pints of Kilkenny but I cant quite get my head around what it means:confused::)

Den

I have only had 3 pints of Kilkenny but I cant quite get my head around what it means:confused::)

Den

Maybe not the thread for jokes.

Maybe not the thread for jokes.

This actually means less because you explained zilch so cant even understand why you replied to me:confused:

People die all the time I joke all the time,each to there own but I for one dont ponder what is not mine by choice so therefore I believe I am true to myself and not just true in the eyes of others;) But then again am I to believe this tragedy although not personal is going to make you never cruise again with joy and happiness?

Thought not!

Den

This actually means less because you explained zilch so cant even understand why you replied to me:confused:

People die all the time I joke all the time,each to there own but I for one dont ponder what is not mine by choice so therefore I believe I am true to myself and not just true in the eyes of others;) But then again am I to believe this tragedy although not personal is going to make you never cruise again with joy and happiness?

Thought not!

Den

Trying to make sense of your post. Which I can't. So I'll just leave it at that.

Trying to make sense of your post. Which I can't. So I'll just leave it at that.

So I take it that you fully understand the strange (to me) sentence in a post that I was inquiring about the meaning of and relevance to this thread:confused:

Because you replied to me with comment that this is not a time for jokes?

From where I am reading the sentence posted before my enquiry

Is a bit of an oxymoron so perhaps a joke I may have missed:confused: can you explain it:confused: I am still lost:confused:

Den

This bit specifically does not belong in this thread, not someone else's comment. Irrespective of the context in which you said it.

Archived