Random Notes, Navigator, SF-Vancouver LIVE

We stayed at Fisherman's Wharf and walked to the pier to board but told to return after 1230. Came back and stood in line which got worse when they merged us with the Princess ship (not Regent's fault)

However, upon boarding we were herded into the lounge to register. Told this was the first time they did this. What a disaster. We left twice, to eat, to have a drink and still a mess. Would have been so easy, just give everyone a number as they enter.

We are on 11; my favorite deck. The butler took care of all our requests in spades--brought extra of everything! The drill was painless but I don't recall taking roll?

Room service first night; very good.

Saturday day at sea. Many people at pool but a bit cold for me to lay out there. Lunch at pool grill was Italian, good. The food is better than when we were on Navigator back in February.

Compass Rose; we got there right at 630, table for two by window but painfully slow service. Took over 30 minutes to take our order?!

But food very good.

Yesterday Astoria; the people are very welcoming to cruise ships. So much the 70% chance of rain did not happen.....until we left. Fog rolled in and things got rolling.

Block party last night. Our suite is the very first the officers walk by but the assistant cruise director urged all of us to come down and gather at the elevators.

Prime 7 last night--why isn't it called Prime 10 since it's on the 10th deck?--very good but I foolishly ordered two much. What was I thinking 2 lbs of crab legs??? At home we split 2 lbs! The worst part Compass Rose had two of our favorite menu items last night-escargot and Osso Bucco; the same thing happened in February.

Sea day, rainy, windy, cold, but it is what I expected. Good day to go the then gym (twice already) read a book, Terry is doing a lecture now but I can catch that on channel 8 later. Cooking demonstration at 11.

Tex Mex at the pool grill, not looking promising for me out there even with the big overhead heat lamps.

Love sea days, an excuse to do nothing.

Hi Peggy! TC2, we know the best is yet to come on this cruise, but we do love the two sea days in the beginning, as it gives us the opportunity to "settle in."

purpleally, thanks for adding your comments. Hope a couple more of our fellow cruisers will join the thread, too.

Regarding purpleally's comment about painfully slow service, we ate in Compass Rose on Saturday and Sette Mari last night. We were among the first to hit each venue (about 6:30) but it still took two hours to get through each meal. At Sette Mari last night we sat about ten minutes waiting for our dinner plates to be removed, so we could grab dessert and scoot--that's too long.

It was raining pretty heavily this morning. Better today than yesterday in Astoria!

Sea day + a Terry Breen lecture. . . kinda goes together like a horse and carriage. Terry's talk today was titled "People of the Mist: Native Americans of the Northwest Coast," and, as usual, was packed with information. It hadn't dawned on me how we legions of Alaskan cruisers could be making a positive difference in the lives of SE Alaska tribes such as the Tlingits until Terry spelled it out for us. It is our interest in their cultures, she explained, that inspired these tribes to use their oil money wisely to develop their infrastructure to learn more about themselves and to develop pride in their culture. Many of the tour programs, she added, are now Native American owned. "So," Terry concluded, "you have to know how important it is that are sitting here--you are literally changing Tlingit people's lives."

Rich

(Bar waiter) Elvis is in the building, and so, it turns out, is The Captain. I heard that Regent's best-known permanent resident is sticking to the Navigator these days because of its coast-hugging itinerary.

Voice in the wings: Mr. Rumor, you just burned 516 calories during your 65 minute gym workout. What are you going to do now?

Mr. Rumor: I'm going to Disneyl... i mean, Prime 7!!

Voice in the wings: Mr. Rumor, you just burned 516 calories during your 65 minute gym workout. What are you going to do now?

Mr. Rumor: I'm going to Disneyl... i mean, Prime 7!!

Anxious to hear how Disneyl-P7 was!

Folks - I wonder what the result would be if some clever "Computer Techie" were to do a "phrase search" on this Regent board and come up with an actual count as to how many times the phrase ".......slow service in Compass Rose...." has been used by passengers over the past couple of years? You'd think that after a while, "management" would sort of "get the hint", wouldn't you? Regards.

Prime 7, which has been a little hit and miss for us over the last several years, was very good tonight. Our daughter's Dover sole was moist and not oversalted and my filet mignon was cooked exactly as ordered, medium rare. Desserts (Golden Cake, tres leches and key lime pie) were excellent. Dinner clocked in at two hours and twenty minutes, but tonight neither Ginny or I were bothered by the leisurely pace. We had our best server yet, Agus, from Bali, which helped. Agus is on his third Regent contract, and we were interested to learn from him that he was on the scene when General Manager Franck Galzy oversaw the Navigator's drydock refurbishing last year. "We were pulling up carpet together!" he said, laughing.

Then it was on to the Seven Seas Lounge for the cruise's second Jean Ann Ryan production, "Age of Aquarius," a 18-song high-energy homage to the '60s and '70s songbooks. Tunes ranged from Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" to the Doors' "Light My Fire" and ended with four Beatles songs. Good fun.

As George Strait might have sung, it's Alaska by morning, as we're due to dock in Sitka just before noon. Light rain and a high of 46 is in the forecast. We're ready to spot some otters (and whales and bald eagles and. . . ).

Rich

I've been enjoying all of the reports from the little Navigator! My daughter and I will be on the May 29th sailing from Vancouver to Anchorage. Can't wait. I've heard that we should look up "Elvis" and have him make us something wonderful. I hope he can make hot things (Irish Coffee?) as well as the cooler cocktails. I think we'll need them!

Enjoy your cruise and I'll keep fingers crossed for nice weather!!!

Help! Where is Elvis???

Cooking demonstration yesterday; Chef is from Italy and was entertaining as he cooked for us.

Compass Rose was much better last night, not slow at all. The Chef told us the halibut was fresh that day so we had that. I had the Canyon Ranch version--forget that not enough flavor, lesson learned.

We filled out a mid cruise comment card and received a phone call from Lorraine regarding one of my issues.

Heading to Sitka; very overcast, weather forecast rain and 46

Terry is scheduled to begin her commentary at 11am and we are docked at noon.

We are supposed to meet for our excursion at 1150 on the pier so maybe we have to swim the last few yards?

Our coffee was prompt this morning, threw in a load of laundry at 7 and headed to gym. Crowded. i swear I have never seen so many people in the gym on a cruise. A lot of active people on this cruise. I have spinning at 9 so that will be ok.

We are here til 8pm and sunset is at midnight. Hope to see lots of great wildlife today.

Block party was lots of fun. We met the nicest people, several from New Zealand and one originally from Australia. Was so surprised to find out that there are two neighbors who have the same name as I do. I don't think I have ever been in the same room with three Barbaras in my entire life. We saw the block party on tv this morning, camera went by so fast that our faces are just a blur. But what fun everyone was having. What a great idea block parties have been!

Sunset is 9pm not midnight. That's what i get for listening to my DH.

430 sunrise tomorrow and I'm using the term "sun" loosely.

What a miserable day in Sitka today; yes, i know its Alaska.

The otter sea quest was a bust, saw maybe 30 otters, maybe 3-4 bald eagles and LOTS of rain.

The crew running the excursion was great. Too wet for me to walk around town.

At least the scones at tea and the irish coffee is good.

Skagway promises more rain tomorrow.

Correction, Jackie: Elvis HAS left the building! The popular bar waiter disembarked in San Francisco and is back home for a two-month break. He plans to return.

The Compass Rose kitchen was on fire tonight! We got through our four-course meal in a mere 80 minutes. Two stand-outs: the fresh Sitka salmon, and our server, the playful and fun-loving Butu from Bali. We'll be asking for her section (14) next time we dine in CR.

We were on the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest, too, and enjoyed ourselves, despite the overcast, drizzly weather. Commentary was provided, in tag-team fashion, by "Captain Mike," a 23-year veteran of the Coast Guard, and a personable young lady by the name of Brandie, and was excellent. No two quests are the same, as routes vary due to the changing conditions, but Captain Mike steered us near a couple of otter rafts (we saw, albeit from a discreet distance, a handful of moms with their pups) and sped around until we spied a two whales, a gray and a humpback. There were a couple of fun moments where enthused passengers rose in unison when the gray re-appeared. We also saw upwards of ten bald eagles, including my favorite sighting: a mature bald (white head) and its young (brown head) sitting side by side on a big rock.

Tomorrow it's Skagway, where we'll be riding the White Pass Scenic Railway. We've been especially looking forward to this excursion.

Rich

Good to hear that you found such a great server. When stay with one server on most of our cruises -- they get to know our preferences and we learn about their lives. Continue to enjoy (and report your adventures).

Mr. Rumor:

Did they fix the dent in the balcony from where they hit the gangway while docking in Charleston last month? It was quite the scene as we watched from 617. Wife made a did a full sprint back into the room. The mother and daughter who were in 601 at the time were certainly surprised. Pealed back the steel on the balcony support column about 6 inches. Regent duct taped a towel over it for the rest of the cruise.

You'll love the White Pass Scenic Railway...we did. It was the one good weather day on our trip to Alaska (reverse of your trip) two years ago...it was only overcast and chilly. Have a great time. Linda & Larry in NJ

We're docking in Skagway as I type this. NCL's Norwegian Pearl and Princess' Grand Princess are across from us.

It was a spectacular sail in through Chilkoot Inlet. Partly cloudy skies + blazing sunlight + Terry's outstanding commentary were icing (white frosty icing like on the peaks around here) on the cake.

Without a doubt the sighting of the morning were scores upon scores of sea otters sunning on huge boulders on our starboard side. This spotting excited Terry, who exclaimed how rare it was.

We're thrilled to be here and hope the glorious weather holds!

Rich

P.S. MPCakes, had no idea about the dent until you mentioned it. Our steward, Hendra, pointed it out to is (it's on a divider/support column). It's rather small and kinda cute. Also noticed the railings are mismatched, but Hendra explained that they are temporary replacements, that the "permanent" ones were removed to be varnished.

OH NO! Elvis has left the building???!!!! So now where is the "in" bar?! With my 30yr daughter in tow and the life of the party, we'll be looking for fun......what would you suggest?

Stars lounge. Roxanna. She made several martinis for us last night and has made it her personal mission to make the perfect purple tini.

Luck of the draw on otter cruise yesterday and we drew the short straw

We are on the paying train excursion today. Lots of sunshine.

Compass rose was excellent last night. Two nights in a row. The restaurant manager Franco called us about my comments. Service is great.

Breakfast in la veranda wonderful. Smoked salmon to die for!

Our butler Immanuel continues to impress. He is bringing escargot for our canapés today.

Cirque show tonight. My favorite. I'll have to hold off on the martinis til 9

When our butler told us that Elvis had left the building I told him he had to find chocolate martinis for us. He did but later we discovered roxanna at stars lounge. She comes on about 530. Will be spending lots of time with her!!!

There was a ton of sea lions along shore on the cruise into Skagway. Even terry said she had never seen so many and she has been doing this for years!

All sounds wonderful, glad to hear Franco is onboard--our first cruise with him was 2000! Too bad about the otters--one boat lucked out and the other didn't? This was a highlight for us. Nice that you had sun today in Skagway!

I'm following every step of this trip!

Stars lounge. Roxanna. She made several martinis for us last night and has made it her personal mission to make the perfect purple tini.

Do you think she can make a "belini tini"? That would sell me in a heart beat!

Archived