Random Notes, Navigator, SF-Vancouver LIVE

Hello from the Navigator. We can now say we've spent at least a night on all three Regent ships.

First, the pole. We love 601, all five hundred and thirty plus square feet of it. But there is that pole, located precisely 9 and three quarters paces inside the front door. So if you open the door and walk in a straight line for ten paces you will walk into it. We asked Hendra, our steward, if he ever has. "Oh yes, two or three times!" he replied. "We move fast around here." He then pointed out a second spot, above the TV in the bedroom area, where he has hit his head. So we know both danger spots in 601. Now bring on the anchor sounds!

Passenger check in was almost comically bad in the first half hour at least yesterday in Seven Seas Lounge. I write "half hour at least," because when we saw people suddenly descend en masses on the staffers at the table, without anyone directing traffic, we decided we could sit and fuss in our seats or go eat lunch in La Veranda. We made the right decision. When we returned, traffic was being directed and we got through in about a half hour.

Saw a couple of familiar faces, including Elda, the assistant cruise director, who we cruised with last year on the Mariner. She noted that she began her career with Regent on the Navigator, and, in fact, served on its maiden voyage. Also heard a familiar voice, that of Terry Breen, doing the commentary, as we sailed out of a very, very windy San Francisco Bay at 6 yesterday. Looking forward to meeting the captain, Ubaldo Armellino, at the welcome reception tonight--haven't sailed with him or the cruise director, Lorraine Weimerskirch, before.

Not sure how often I'll being able to post, as we have our daughter with us on this cruise, and I don't want to neglect either her or the DW. But I'll definitely strive to slip in a fair number of random notes. . . including the news for you Elvis (Dimaano) fans that the bar waiter is the Navigator's current Eomployee of the Month. So Elvis remains in the building, and is definitely appreciated!

Rich

Happy to hear that you are on board and settled. Hope no one walks into the infamous pole during the night:-) We have done this itinerary twice -- really a great itinerary.

Looking forward to reports -- when you have the time to post. I'm curious to know how the seas are between S.F. and Astoria (assuming you stop in Astoria?) It can get a bit choppy in that area.

TC2, seas were a bit choppy last night but have settled down a bit. Tom, my first impression of Lorraine, actually her voice (have only heard her on the PA), is very positive. She has a wonderful speaking voice.

Internet connection early p.m. yesterday was the best I've experienced on a Regent cruise. One reason, I learned from Misel, the internet manager, was that there were only six people online at the time (the average throughout the day, he added, is 26-28). Then he mentioned that about two cruises ago, a triple bandwidth improvement was tested on the Navigator. He wasn't sure if it was actually put into place, but hopefully it was. Connection seems pretty good at the moment.

Will close for now, as Terry's first talk is a few minutes from now. If any fellow cruisers are reading this, I invite you to add your comments and random notes!

Rich

Interested to hear about your experiences since we took this very cruise last May. Check-in was sufficiently seamless for us that I have no memory of it at all! Have had Lorraine as CD several times and she is very efficient.

Alexandra, if you want a regular balcony, mid-ship cabin, go for deck 6. No poles in sight.

The pole is structural and to my knowledge is only a problem in suite 601 because of its location. That suite used to be a really good deal. It is very large and used to be classified in one of the lower priced categories. Last year it was reclassified as a penthouse suite. My main concern with it would be the noise of the anchor early in the morning and the fact that forward cabins feel the "motion of the ocean" more than in other locations.

As TC2 noted, the pole is indeed structural and, I think, unique to 601. From what I understand, the Navigator was originally a Russian scientific vessel. I'm guessing that when it was refashioned into a cruise ship, a little bit of extra space was left over in the very forward section of the sixth deck, resulting in two unusually shaped suites, 600 and 601.

We're enjoying the smaller scale of the Navigator. Quicker to get around, among other things. We do miss a forward lounge, however, and are surprised by the distinct smoky smell in the high-traffic hallway by the Connoisseurs Club. I heard other passengers commenting on this.

Still waiting for Terry Breen to utter her first "Uhhh" or "Errr" while giving a presentation. Her talks are always info-filled, and she is such an engaging and effective speaker, one of the best. Learned from her talk that we are among the first wave (ripple?) of an estimated 2.5 million projected Alaskan cruisers this year.

Only eight currently functioning computers in the internet room (one is down), compared to, I think, about 20 in the sister ships, but so far no problem with getting a computer if you want one.

Rich

Particularly interested in how the weather turns out for you. Ours was pretty cold and wet, but we were about a week earlier than you.

Yes, Terry is a real treat. I too love the diminutive size of Navigator, and found that the aft Galileo's to be a lovely place--the aft balcony was sometimes the best place on the ship on our Alaskan adventure.

All in all, I'm very envious. Would go back to Alaska in a heartbeat.

So far the seas are calmer and the weather has been nicer than last years cruise. Although we are looking at rain tomorrow in Astoria.

CC meet and greet in just over 30 minutes. Then off to tea time and trivia! Look forward to meeting some of our fellow CC members!

DH and I had to cancel this cruise a couple of weeks ago as he was taken into hospital - still there!!! I'm really looking forward to reading all the reports from onboard as we fully intend to re-book for 2014. Have a wonderful cruise.

Gemlea, sorry to learn that your husband is still hospitalized. Hope you'll be able to get him home soon.

The CC get-together in the Stars Lounge was rather intimate, with 10 attending. Thanks, Laura-SF, for organizing, as well as for starting this cruise's Roll Call. CD Lorraine stopped by and touted tonight's new Jean Ann Ryan Broadway production, "Broadway Tonight." We'll be there.

I learned that there are 449 passengers aboard this cruise, with females edging out the males, 233-216. Makeup by country is as follows:

USA, 309

United Kingdom, 74

Australia, 19

Canada, 17

South Africa, 7

Brazil, 6

France, 6

New Zealand, 3

Belgium, 2

France, 2

Germany, 2

Mexico, 2

Portugal, 1

Sri Lanka, 1

On the way to the internet cafe, I saw that cruise consultant Bruce Van Rooyen was free, so I asked him if he had an update on the Mariner/Voyager itinerary retooling for 2014. He replied that he expected to have some info by next Tuesday and was considering a letter to passengers. He is betting on a couple of exciting itineraries--we'll see!

Rich

So far the seas are calmer and the weather has been nicer than last years cruise. Although we are looking at rain tomorrow in Astoria.

CC meet and greet in just over 30 minutes. Then off to tea time and trivia! Look forward to meeting some of our fellow CC members!

Glad to hear that the seas are calmer than last year. I have a feeling that the Navigator will be able to sail Tracy Arm this time because the weather has been much milder this year. IMO, the absolute best way to view Tracy Arm is from the Navigator:)

Enjoying all the reports. I really love navigator.

Lorraine has a great singing voice as well as speaking voice.

Love this itinerary. We have been to most of the ports. Keep the reports coming.

Good Sunday morning, all (hi, Tina!). We're anchored at Astoria on a cloudy but not rainy (at least yet) early morning, I have a nice view of this pleasant town as I type this in the computer room. We know Astoria pretty well, having stayed at a Victorian B&B here a few years ago. The famed Astoria Column is dead ahead, and I also see the impressive Maritine Museum a little to the right. I think we will be tendering there.

We were prepped for the snap, crackle and pop of the anchors lowering, so were not really bothered by the sounds in 601, which lasted about 15 minutes or so. We continue to love this suite.

The first tender of the day is taking off now. I think these folks must be on either the all-day Mount St. Helens tour or the all-day Willamette Valley Wine tour.

My one word review of "Broadway Tonight" last night: Wonderful! The tunes from "Jersey Boys" and "Mamma Mia" were the top crowd-pleasers, but it was interesting to see newer Broadway shows such as "Book of Mormon" featured, too. It was fun seeing Prudence Caldwell performing as one of two "Featured Lead Specialty Artists" (her partner is Aaron Adkins). On our Mariner TA last year I recall a young lady sitting front row center at each of the Jean Ann Ryan shows in rapt, smiling attention. Turned out it was Prudence who Jean Ryan had brought aboard to help the then-new cast work out the final kinks in their shows. She told me at the time her dream was to be a specialty artist for Jean Ryan, and, in fact, she added, she was beginning to piece her act together with her partner in Las Vegas. Well, her dream has now been realized. Prudence and Aaron were great to watch.

OK, time to return to the room to see if the girls are ready for breakfast. We are doing the "Ft. Stevens Behind the Scenes" tour, as we haven't been there.

Rich

Thanks, Wes. I've enjoyed and learned so much from your and others' shipboard blogs that it is my pleasure to, in a sense, return the favor now that I have the opportunity.

This is my first iPad post! Our suite comes with one, so wanted to try it out.

Astoria gets 86 inches of rain a year, but nary a drop fell on our heads today as we toured the ruins/remains of Ft. Stevens, now a national park. The fort has the distinction of being the only spot in the continental U.S. to fall under enemy attack in WW II when, in June, 1942, a Japanese sub launched nine shells in the fort's direction. Our guide, Gloria, ten years old at the time and living just down the coast in Seaside, was a witness of sorts. She said she recalls hearing several "pops," then rushing out to the "prom" (promenade) and seeing several flashes of light in the direction of the fort. She added that a MP tried to shoo her and her friends back in, stating they were under attack, but she remained outside until her father ordered her in. "We thought this was all rather exciting, even cool," she said, chuckling.

Well, Astoria is now officially in our rear-view mirror as we cruise on to Sitka. We're due to dock there Tuesday at noon.

Rich

Hi, Rich - I'm really enjoying your posts. Through your quite interesting commentary, I'm reliving the cruise we took last August on Navigator. It was the "reverse" of your current cruise. We started in Vancouver and ended in San Francisco. I hope you have a wonderful time. Keep up the great posts. Best Regards.

pingpong1, thanks for the nice words. Hope mine will spark some more fun memories. Regarding your screen name, I was surprised to happen upon an indoor ping pong game on Deck 8, amidships, starboard side, yesterday. If I'm not mistaken, both the Mariner's and Voyager's ping pong tables are located on the Pool Deck.

Rachel, from what I understand, all four Jean Ann Ryan shows are either new or reworked. "Broadway Tonight" now sports a big video screen that, according to CD Lorraine, was once used by "JLo" (that's Jennifer Lopez) on one of her concert tours. Images from the various spotlighted Broadway shows appear as backdrops to the high-energy dance and song action. There are also several well-received surprise appearances on the screen during "Book of Mormon" that I won't spill the beans on.

Well, we've had some rolling and vibrating in the late afternoon and tonight. We could feel a notable vibration as we dined in Sette Mari. So far, Ginny, who is prone to seasickness, has been faring well due to her patch and Bonine. One of our neighbors, however, had to excuse herself from the block party because she wasn't feeling well.

Tonight's featured singer, Franco Spoto, had a rough start to his show, but it wasn't due to seasickness--rather, microphone problems caused by "port interference." He's a pro, though, and maintained until we sailed beyond the interference, and then finished strong.

Another number for you: Of the 449 paying passengers on this cruise, 269 are returnees.

We get to turn our clocks back an hour tonight--yay!

Rich

Three nights in, guess I'm behind.

Had an extra hour last night which I didn't need so had the computers to myself at 5am with great connection.

Did the bike tour yesterday in Astoria and it was fantastic.

We are on deck 11. Our standing order for coffee has yet to be on time but our butler, and our two cabin steward/stewardess are so great no matter.

New fitness instructor in gym. ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND times better than the clown we had when we were on Navigator in February.

LOTS of new faces, people who were not here in February.

Destination service people have been excellent.

Saw Elvis was employee of the month but haven't seen him. In February saw him once and then heard he was moved to the employee bar. Hope to find him on this cruise for his chocolate martini.

Sea day today looks like rain but, hey, its Alaska, it is what I expected.

Gotta go see if our coffee is here.

Oh, by the way the cookies are MUCH better this time which is not really a good thing.

Archived