Hurtigruten or HAL for Norwegian coastal cruise

Help! Next year, I'd like to take a cruise up the coast of Norway. Holland America has a nice itenerary, but I'm also considering Hurtigruten. I'm a healthy sixty year old woman who will be traveling solo. I've been on HAL before, so I know what to expect, but there are mixed reviews on Hurtigruten. Looking for opinions... Thanks

I cruised solo on Hurtigruten last September, Bergen-Kirkenes - had a great time, and developed some good friendships on that trip. HAL probably has more creature comforts - and its level of service is probably superior (on Hurtigruten, you really feel like you're "along for the ride". Oh, but what a ride!).

The cruise was very undersold, we only had about 70 cruisers (capacity 350-ish); very few Americans. If you want organized "stuff to do" on the ship, Hurtigruten probably isn't for you - but as a means of transport up the coast, it was fine (plus it was interesting to watch all the cargo activities at the various ports). Other friends who preceded me on this type of cruise had similar experiences. I'd definitely recommend it, as long as your orientation is more towards the scenery than the shipboard experience ...

Hurtigruten tours the coasts, makes 31 stops heading North and the same 31 heading South, has no entertainment staff, but gets much closer to the coast and the towns. You don't get off for long in most places, sometimes only half an hour, although there are some excursions available. Food is good but there is a set menu, though if you don't like the option they'll fix something else for you if you tell them in advance. I've done it twice, my parents did it four times, and we'd thoroughly recommend it.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

If you are used to cruise line that HAL and other you will not ind the same 'cruise standard' at Hurtigruten - I'm on a RCCL Norwegian Fjords cruise in June - considered Hurtigruten but found that dining, entertainment and cabin standard is different from what I do expect from 'cruise line standard'.

If you are used to cruise line that HAL and other you will not ind the same 'cruise standard' at Hurtigruten - I'm on a RCCL Norwegian Fjords cruise in June - considered Hurtigruten but found that dining, entertainment and cabin standard is different from what I do expect from 'cruise line standard'.

Agree with the above posting that there's a vast difference with Hurtigruten versus the regular, full-scale cruise ship experience with HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc., etc. Below you can see a couple different views of those Hurtigruten ships while in port in one of the towns near the North Cape. That "basic" level with Hurtigruten might be OK with some people, but not please others. Buyer beware and make sure that Hurtigruten and its ships fit your style, needs and timing desire to be in and experience the sights in each of these ports and town along the Norway coast. For the original poster, tell us more on what you are seeking and find acceptable for the ship's level of services, food, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,284 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Hammerfest, here is one of the older Hurtigruten coastal ship in port next to our cruise ship.:

HammerHurtigInHarbor.jpg

Here is a closer, full view of one of the Hurtigruten ships while docked in Hammerfest near the northern top of Norway. This ship is a little smaller and older than the others we saw along the Norway coast.

NorwayHurtigrutenShipHammerfest.jpg

If you want organized "stuff to do" on the ship, Hurtigruten probably isn't for you - but as a means of transport up the coast, it was fine (plus it was interesting to watch all the cargo activities at the various ports). Other friends who preceded me on this type of cruise had similar experiences. I'd definitely recommend it, as long as your orientation is more towards the scenery than the shipboard experience ...

I agree about this. I have been four times on the round trip with Hurtigruten and the fifth is booked for september 2014, so no need to say I really enjoy this trip! ;) But indeed you need to know that comfort is good but not luxurious, and entertainment is provided mostly by the scenery outside (but oh, what an entertaiment, if you like beautiful landscapes!), and there are some excursions organised as well.

You can see pictures of these trips on my blog (but they are mostly winter voyages, I'm currently uploading the last one which was in Feb. 2013).

Terry, the ship you are showing in your pictures is not the average Hurtigruten ship. This one (MS Nordstjernen) was build in the 50s and is now retired from the line. There is one ship of the same generation (MS Lofoten, build in 1964) which is still in operation (it's my personal favourite, but definitely not for everyone). The vast majority of the other ships are much more recent and comfortable, and the three newer ones (MS Trollfjord, MS Midnatsol and MS Finnmarken) offers all the modern levels of comfort inside, and are very seaworthy. You can pick the ship that appeal to you.

So definitely bobbisailsolo tell us more about what you like and what you expect from this cruise, what is important for you and what is less important.

Help! Next year, I'd like to take a cruise up the coast of Norway. Holland America has a nice itenerary, but I'm also considering Hurtigruten. I'm a healthy sixty year old woman who will be traveling solo. I've been on HAL before, so I know what to expect, but there are mixed reviews on Hurtigruten. Looking for opinions... Thanks

You can not compare the Hurtigruten product to a cruise product. It is totally different.

Hurtigruten is more low key, dining choices are more limited, usually buffet breakfast and lunch. Dinner is a set 3 course meal. The only entertainment is a band playing. Sometimes they bring on a lecturer or local entertainment.

Hurtigruten will give you a more beautiful and extraordinary experience as it visits far more ports than your typical cruise ship.

The Hurtigruten are working ships bringing goods and people up and down the Norwegian coast.

You can not compare the Hurtigruten product to a cruise product. It is totally different.

The Hurtigruten are working ships bringing goods and people up and down the Norwegian coast.

This is the key difference. The Hurtigruten is a working ferry service, which is also sold as a cruise experience for anyone who wants to come along for the ride. It is not a cruise in the conventional sense, and anyone who's looking for the food and entertainment found in a conventional cruise product may well be disappointed.

The Hurtigruten is a working ferry service, which is also sold as a cruise experience for anyone who wants to come along for the ride.

It used to be very true, but becoming less and less the case. The "ferry" part of the line is losing some of its market and there is actually some complains from locals claiming that Hurtigruten is now more caring about the "cruise" tourists than about the local passengers and local cargo (particularly true for the northernmost cities, where the stops can get cancelled in case of bad weather, to make sure that tourists are in time for their return flight). There is a tour leader on each cruise, excursions, some talks and/or movie showing about the local culture and history, a daily log book about the highlights of the day... The tourists are not just transported from one port to the other, they are actually cared for. Hurtigruten need the tourists to survive, and is marketing more and more its voyage towards them.

It is not a cruise in the conventional sense, and anyone who's looking for the food and entertainment found in a conventional cruise product may well be disappointed.

This is really true. On the other hand, someone totally not interested in the food and entertainment found in a conventional cruise product (such as me, for instance ;) ) may will be happy :p. But I agree you cannot compare Hurtigruten and a conventional cruise line, it is a totally different experience, so you really need to know what you want and what to expect if you go with Hurtigruten. Reading the different reviews, I feel that, as you say, a lot of the disappointment is from people who went with Hurtigruten not really expecting that it would be a different cruise experience. It will not appeal to everybody.

Terry, the ship you are showing in your pictures is not the average Hurtigruten ship. This one (MS Nordstjernen) was build in the 50s and is now retired from the line. There is one ship of the same generation (MS Lofoten, build in 1964) which is still in operation (it's my personal favourite, but definitely not for everyone). The vast majority of the other ships are much more recent and comfortable, and the three newer ones (MS Trollfjord, MS Midnatsol and MS Finnmarken) offers all the modern levels of comfort inside, and are very seaworthy. You can pick the ship that appeal to you.

Appreciate this added background and the update that the ship we saw in July 2010 in Hammerfest has been retired. Clearly, it looked, at that time, a little "long in the tooth". Good added points have been made on the the "ferry" part of this line.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,284 views.

Remember, you can take the Hurtigruten for the entire 12 days or just part of the voyage.

The winter voyages/the Northern Lights voyages are becoming more and more popular.

To the OP, if you want a standard cruise experience go with HAL. If you prefer a different experience once in a lifetime experience you should give Hurtigruten a try.

That "basic" level with Hurtigruten might be OK with some people, but not please others.

HammerHurtigInHarbor.jpg

I would point out that the ship shown in this photograph was the oldest in the fleet and is no longer owned by Hurtigruten. There is now one traditional ship (Lofoten) and one middle-aged ship, all the rest are modern. The food is excellent, excursions and commentaries interesting. There is often a singer or musician onboard but very little other entertainment.

Edited by gaelsail

As mentioned many times in this thread the Hurtigruten is different but by no means Basic.

The fleet has modern comfortable ship which is nicely appointed.

There is nothing Basic about the prices either..

Here is a sample menu for the voyage:

Coastal flavors

A culinary round trip voyage with Hurtigruten. Welcome to a journey in the world of the taste buds!

Menu

Welcome to a world of delicious tastes.

Bergen

Bergen buffet

In Bergen we offer a tasty dinner buffet based on the best ingredients. Available in an informal atmosphere, we invite you to enjoy a relaxed meal.

Ålesund/Molde

Clipfish bolinhos with ruccola salad

Free range chicken with barley risotto

Chocolate fondant with pear sorbet

Trondheim/Rørvik

Cauliflower soup with shreads of cured ham

Baked fillet of trout with root vegetable

Panacotta made with Norwegian thick milk

Bodø/Svolvær

Selbu Blå on baby-leaf salad with coludberry syrup

Braised ox fillet with vegetable stew and red wine jus

Brown Betty with caramel sauce

Tromsø

Green pea soup with bacon and cream

Grilled stock fish with potato purée, Port salsa and bacon

Cheese cake served with forest berry compot

Nordkapp

North Cape buffet

Based on the season's best ingredients from northern Norway, our chef invites you to a real banquet. Seafood dominates, and often we serve tasty, juicy king crabs.

In Finnmark reindeer meat is a natural item on the menu when it is available.

Kirkenes

Barents salad with delicious seafood and spicy mayonnaise

Venison medallions with sautéed vegetable, potato purée and wild game sauce with blueberries

Raspberries with sour cream

Hammerfest

Aquavit-cured reindeer topside with herb salad

Arctic char with asparagus, Roswald potatoes and hollandaise sause

North Norwegian blueberry parfait

Vesterålen

Potato and leek soup with croutons and truffle oil

Steamed haddock roulade with sautéed vegetables, tomato jus and baked amandine potatoes

Rhubarb and strawberry soup with puff pastry and sour cream

Helgeland

Viking wraps with marinated, seasoned and smoked salmon, sour cream and lettuce

Classic pepper steak with Hasselback potatoes and pepper sauce

The ship's ice cream bombe with fresh fruit salad

Trondheim

Hurtigruten's classic fish soup with freshly caught fish

BBQ-marinated pork neck with root vegetables and barbeque sauce

Lime posset with fresh berries

Edited by I-Cruiser

I believe previous posters have described the differences. My wife and I traveled round trip on Hurtigruten a few years ago and thought it was fantastic - but that was our own personal opinion.

I believe we traveled before they added some of the extras mentioned above, so I can't speak to them.

They travel and stop at ports both night and day, so you will miss some of the scenery at night. However, they schedule the northbound and southbound trips so that the places you pass at night northbound or the ones you pass during the day southbound and vice versa, so the round trip is really a great idea.

Even though the food is not 24 hours a day like a "normal" cruise, we definitely did not go hungry. One other difference is that much of the food was actually traditional Norwegian - not like the food you get on cruise ships (the same menus anywhere in the world). For example, at the breakfast buffet, you had a choice of several different kinds of pickled herring. Personally, I really enjoyed the different kinds of food - not the normal things I was used to. But some people may not.

I would love to sail on Hurtigruten, but it is generally more expensive than a regular cruise line to Norway. I loved my Brilliance of the Seas cruise to the Arctic Circle last June, but haven't given up hope to do a Hurtigruten cruise some day.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that on Hurtigruten, you will meet mainly Norwegians who are using the ship for transportation (the Hurtiguten ships are basically intercity coastal ferries) and may be on for only a few ports. If you do HAL, you will meet typical cruisers mainly from the United States.

Just my opinion but I find that meeting Norwegians in Norway or Greeks in Greece or Australians in Australia much more interesting than seeing just Americans on every trip I take.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Below is one of my visuals for their newer and larger ship that we saw while we were a little south of Alesund in July 2010. The ship is named after the famous Trollfjord, situated between the Vesterålen and the Lofoten Islands. The Trollfjord was one of the highlights of our cruise ship voyage south. Below is also a photo of that fjord. It is famous locally for "The Battle of the Trollfjord" which took place here in the winter of 1890. Their website notes that ship has a "comfortable interior, with an extensive use of Norwegian wood and stone." MS Trollfjord's maiden voyage was in 2002 and is one of the newest ships in the Hurtigruten fleet. They note it has a beautiful panorama lounge and suites. On board, it has original paintings by Lofoten artist Kaare Espolin Johnsen. These paintings were originally on board the old Hurtigruten ship MS Harald Jarl. It was built at Norway shipyard, Fosen Mekaniske Verksteder. It has a capacity of 822 passengers and can hold 45 cars. Its gross tonnage is 16,140, length of 135.75, beam of 21.5 and a speed of 15.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,452 views.

Here is a picture from our ferry boat as we crossed south to Runde Island and its birdrock areas. This visual shows one of the famed Hurtigruten coastal ships that go up and down these waters on a regular basis with both passengers and freight.:

CoastalFerries.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoton Islands along the Norway coast. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

It also depends on if you like port calls. The Hurtigruten is definitely better for scenic coastal cruising, because even in the biggest cities, the port callsarejust a few hours, so there isn't time to see more than a couple sights.

We based our decision on ports and prices, so we ended up doing 11 nights on the QE2 for the same price as 6 nights on theHurtigruten. Plus we got full days in 6 ports and half a day in another.

It also depends on if you like port calls. The Hurtigruten is definitely better for scenic coastal cruising, because even in the biggest cities, the port callsarejust a few hours, so there isn't time to see more than a couple sights. We based our decision on ports and prices, so we ended up doing 11 nights on the QE2 for the same price as 6 nights on theHurtigruten. Plus we got full days in 6 ports and half a day in another.

Excellent summary above by the smart and savvy Meg on the key factor of port times in comparing these options. There are some wonderful ports along this coast. BUT, that requires some time in these different places to enjoy fully those great locations, their options, history, architecture, charm, character, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,452 views.

The whole point with the Hurtigruten is the experience of the total voyage and not necessarily how much time spent in port or what food and entertainment found on board.

Everyone seem to forget or maybe they just think they know what Hurtigruten is all about....

The whole point with the Hurtigruten is the experience of the total voyage and not necessarily how much time spent in port or what food and entertainment found on board.

Everyone seem to forget or maybe they just think they know what Hurtigruten is all about....

I'm not sure what you mean by "the experience of the total voyage." If you mean seeing the entire coastline, yes obviously (except of course for the part south of Bergen), but otherwise, what constitutes a "total voyage?" It seems that any trip from point A to point B would be a total voyage, regardless of the means of transportation.

The reason I mentioned the port time is that Hurtigruten has started marketing itself as a cruise, and a lot of people familiar with traditional cruises may be disappointed to find that they don't have as much time on shore as they're used to. It's not to say that one is better or worse than the other but to simply point out one of the important differences, so that people can make an informed decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the experience of the total voyage." If you mean seeing the entire coastline, yes obviously (except of course for the part south of Bergen), but otherwise, what constitutes a "total voyage?" It seems that any trip from point A to point B would be a total voyage, regardless of the means of transportation.

The reason I mentioned the port time is that Hurtigruten has started marketing itself as a cruise, and a lot of people familiar with traditional cruises may be disappointed to find that they don't have as much time on shore as they're used to. It's not to say that one is better or worse than the other but to simply point out one of the important differences, so that people can make an informed decision.

The total voyage means the experience of seeing the coast with its small towns and villages conventional cruise ships cant visit, the experience of being on a "working ship", the difference in meals served, new passengers coming on board for just hours or days,

The pace and life on board the Hurtigruten is more low key and relaxed than on a regular cruise.

Everything is different on these ships - the total voyage is the experience of being part of something different, something more unique than a cruise ship.