What to pack for beach excursions????

HeatherJA

I'm two weeks away from sailing the Southern Caribbean and am beginning to get a bit freaked out over the packing process! The questions I have deal with how to pack and plan for a beach excursion, without carrying everything but the kitchen sink, as we usually do for beach trips here at home! We are flying and will have limited space in our luggage, so we certainly can't enjoy our floats, noodles, shovels and pails, boogie boards, and paddle balls! :p

So, other than the obvious items (sunscreen, towels, camera, hat, phone, etc.), what do I need to take?

Anyone pack a collapsible cooler and fill with drinks/ice?

Snacks from the ship? (or do you buy prior to boarding ship?)

Your towels or ship's towels?

A change of clothes for after beach activities (eating/shopping)?

Books?

I'm concerned my son may get bored when he's finished snorkeling, since he won't be using any beach toys. Any suggestions?

Also, do you make a backup plan in the event of rain? With the planning I've done, it's all based on the most perfect weather! ;) I would hate for the weather to ruin our beach days and have no clue what to do instead. Can anyone tell I'm not a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal?! :p Details, details!

Don't bother bringing towels - use the ship's. You might find some inexpensive beach toys at your first stop. When the cruise is over you could give them to your room steward or just throw them away. I would just leave on a beach cover-up rather than changing but you might want to bring a change of clothes for a child. If there is really bad weather there will be plenty of things to do on the ship.

I'm not sure the ship will let you take off and/or the country that you are visiting will let you bring food or drinks from the ship. There are plenty of places to buy food and drink on the islands.

Relax and enjoy your cruise!

I'm two weeks away from sailing the Southern Caribbean and am beginning to get a bit freaked out over the packing process! The questions I have deal with how to pack and plan for a beach excursion, without carrying everything but the kitchen sink, as we usually do for beach trips here at home! We are flying and will have limited space in our luggage, so we certainly can't enjoy our floats, noodles, shovels and pails, boogie boards, and paddle balls! :p

So, other than the obvious items (sunscreen, towels, camera, hat, phone, etc.), what do I need to take?

Anyone pack a collapsible cooler and fill with drinks/ice?

Snacks from the ship? (or do you buy prior to boarding ship?)

Your towels or ship's towels?

A change of clothes for after beach activities (eating/shopping)?

Books?

I'm concerned my son may get bored when he's finished snorkeling, since he won't be using any beach toys. Any suggestions?

Also, do you make a backup plan in the event of rain? With the planning I've done, it's all based on the most perfect weather! ;) I would hate for the weather to ruin our beach days and have no clue what to do instead. Can anyone tell I'm not a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal?! :p Details, details!

I'd suggest bringing a cover up, sandals, (no cooler, just buy drinks), ship's towels available, (I agree with other post: bring change of clothes for kids.

In the event that it does rain, snorkel anyways! You're already covered in water right? I also doubt your son will get board, since snorkeling isn't really meant to have floaties. You're supposed to look underwater ^^

Go get a cheap underwater camera or something (:

I live at the beach and when we have company come to town, we give them a tote that has all the essentials for a good beach day. A couple of things come to mind for you:

1- a small vial of white vinegar for jelly fish stings. (check to see if they are a problem where you are going. They get bad here when the water is very warm)

2- a travel size container of baby powder or cornstarch. Shake a little on your feet and legs when you leave the beach and the sand will brush right off.

3- Boca clips- keep your towel on your chair no matter how breezy it is.

4- A thermos with plenty of ice... Add to drinks you buy, or make up a special cocktail on the ship before heading to the beach. :)

Do some research on each port. There are specific boards for the various ports of call.

Most of the more frequented beaches have places to buy cold drinks and rental kiosks for floats, paddle boats, snorkel gear etc.

Yes you use the ship's towels. They usually hand them out as you get off the ship, but just ask your steward when you get on board if you should take the towel from your room or if they hand them out as you get off the ship.

A would NOT drag a cooler with drinks and ice. It's often a long walk just getting off the ship and to the end of the dock. So keep it somewhat light.

Whether we bring a change of clothes depends. Often I'll wear my bathing suit and a cover up that can be worn alone, so I just bring underwear and if we're going to look around after the beach, I take off the wet suit, put on dry underwear and my cover-up (which is a sun dress) and I'm good to go.

Books? We load up the kindle and my husband's tablet. That way we have tons of books and games without carrying a lot.

>> Also, do you make a backup plan in the event of rain?

Yes. But since you're new to cruising you probably don't know what to plan. So rather than fighting your "I'm not a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal" personality - go to the board for your ports, your cruiseline, or to the roll call for your actual cruise and ask people what their favorite "rainy day" activity is.

Sometimes, especially in the Caribbean - rain happens for about an hour in the afternoon and nothing changes. But if the weather is really bad - there are indoor activities in the ports and on ship. You don't have to get off the ship at each port.

I live at the beach and when we have company come to town, we give them a tote that has all the essentials for a good beach day. A couple of things come to mind for you:

1- a small vial of white vinegar for jelly fish stings. (check to see if they are a problem where you are going. They get bad here when the water is very warm)

2- a travel size container of baby powder or cornstarch. Shake a little on your feet and legs when you leave the beach and the sand will brush right off.

4- A thermos with plenty of ice... Add to drinks you buy, or make up a special cocktail on the ship before heading to the beach. :)

Just to clarify, I mean a thermos bottle, not a cooler! :) We have one that holds just over a quart.... 2 cocktails each.

Excellent tips, 5326jan! I've never heard of the baby powder/cornstarch trick! This will be helpful any time we go to the beach (which is just 2 hours from our home). I've been eyeing those tervis tumblers, which I think would be great to take along.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Excellent tips, 5326jan! I've never heard of the baby powder/cornstarch trick! This will be helpful any time we go to the beach (which is just 2 hours from our home). I've been eyeing those tervis tumblers, which I think would be great to take along.

Definately two thumbs up for the tervis tumblers! With the lids on, they keep things icey for a long time. We don't take them to the beach because they're bulky, but we do take them on our cruises and use them daily at home. We like the 24oz size. Get them from BB&B with your 20% off coupon for the best deal. I just bought a couple of Tervis 24oz water bottles, but haven't used them yet.

I understand what you mean by your son possibly getting bored. You don't say his age though, so it is hard to tell. My boys were 9 and 13 on their last beach so...

I agree with find a cheap underwater camera. We now have 2 Fuji XP10's. Yes they ARE the older ones, but when we bought the 2nd one the XP40 or 50 just came out and the reviews were horrible! They older models that we have are actually really cheap now (for an underwater camera that is..). To be honest, since we got them my son's don't get out of the water. It's a great way to keep them entertained!

It sounds like you son likes to play in the sand. Sand toy's don't have to be large things! Throw in a few smaller shovels and some Solo cups and you can be set for making sand castles. If you are going to a few different beaches, bring 2-3 cups per beach and just throw them away when you are done.

Personally I would never lug a cooler around with me off the ship. Unless you are going to a secluded beach w/o much around it, you probably don't need to. I found a mesh backpack at Walmart for $10 it had a ton of room and 2 pockets on the side for water bottles. Worked out really well for us. Hit up a local dollar store if you have one. Mine just got all of their beach/vacation stuff in and you could probably pick up a few neat things. Best part about it, it really is only $1. That way you don't have to carry it back with you. Or find a dollar store in Florida which I am sure will have the same things!

I understand what you mean by your son possibly getting bored. You don't say his age though, so it is hard to tell. My boys were 9 and 13 on their last beach so...

I agree with find a cheap underwater camera. We now have 2 Fuji XP10's. Yes they ARE the older ones, but when we bought the 2nd one the XP40 or 50 just came out and the reviews were horrible! They older models that we have are actually really cheap now (for an underwater camera that is..). To be honest, since we got them my son's don't get out of the water. It's a great way to keep them entertained!

He's 11 and about to complete the 5th grade. Just a hard age, where he's past the making sand castles age but too young to want to just relax, tan, and read a book, like my 14 yr. old daughter does at the beach! Maybe that's just the difference in boys and girls! We did purchase an underwater camera, a Kodak Playsport, that he could make videos and still photos with. I think he'll really enjoy that. I may still go to the dollar store as you suggested and maybe find an inexpensive paddle ball set. He loves playing that. Thanks for the suggestions!

388157_10200094724944189_1827649393_n.jpg

I found these inflatable noodles at a grocery store, of all places. I just bring them and roll them up when done. They've been on four cruises and still going strong. A second suggestion I have seen is to take a regular Styrofoam noodle and cut it in half. That way it can fit in the suitcase and you can either throw it away after your beach day or bring it back. Or hit the dollar store for really cheap inflatable rafts.

Most beach places offer rafts to rent if you don't want to carry them; parasailing is always fun for an 11 year old.

Love our Tervis Tumblers!! I have one each for my grandkids & personalized them with the initial of their first name (or you could do names)....so we have no "that's mine" issues. Get their lids & straws, we take ours on all trips and I am packing mine!

I always have my eye out for a good collapsable cooler but haven't found one yet. We just suck it up & pay the exhorbinant prices for drinks from the local vendors.

We just use one of those soft-sided coolers. (6 pack size)

Some of my suggestions.

Take a couple of bottles like the hydroflask & fill with water & ice before you leave the ship. I like water & don't like spending money, especially sodas at a beach when it's hot. I use this all the time. We live in central Florida and go to the theme parks often, this keeps ice almost all day....in FLORIDA!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Flask-Stainless-Insulated-Standard/dp/B003WU9VKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368667333&sr=8-2&keywords=hydro+flask

Along with the towels, take a microfiber towel. These are fantastic & are very quick dry.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-DryLite-Towel-Eucalyptus/dp/B000NQQ50U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368667212&sr=8-1&keywords=microfiber+towel

Snacks...I have 2 kids, girl 6 & boy 9. I always carry snacks with me, granola bars, goldfish, gummies, things they like. As long as it will hold them over till a main meal, I hate buying snacks or anything other than a main meal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are you going on your own, or a Shiptour?

We have booked our own excursions for two of the ports of call. The others will just be beach days.

Some of my suggestions.

Snacks...I have 2 kids, girl 6 & boy 9. I always carry snacks with me, granola bars, goldfish, gummies, things they like. As long as it will hold them over till a main meal, I hate buying snacks or anything other than a main meal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you buy these snacks and pack them in your suitcase, or buy them before you board the ship? We are flying into San Juan and I really don't want to pack snacks. I've read of a CVS near our pier, so that might be an option for us! Thanks!

Archived