What do we think of mixing metals? IE this Michael Kors watch

While I know mixing metals isn't the no no as it once was, I'm not all that comfortable with it. I mostly wear silver (wedding and engagement bands are both white gold) .... and I already have a nice silver and gold watch, so I don't want to go that route.

But this Michael Kors beauty has caught my eye.

What do you darlings think of pairing it with silver? OR ... do we just like the second one (which is Neiman Marcus last call for a STEAL right now ... $147, regularly $275.)

The first one is my favorite ... if it would pair well with silver. Obviously, the second one would go with silver, but I'm not a HUGE fan of the shell color.

NMY0XLW_mx.jpg.2774eb4971623d01f4dd2dc86aa49870.jpg

LCY1GVL_mx.jpg.3b446087bdeafa8c2b1737d4704c16ce.jpg

I shouldn't answer because I really like the 2nd one, because it would go with anything & I really love the shell look.

Personally if I were you I'd go with whichever is your favorite.

I appreciate you answering! I want opinions! Thanks. And I agree, it would go well with anything.

I am still getting used to the mixing of metals but finally bought a watch with silver and gold tone. I'm really forcing myself because I have so much more gold jewelry but my evening clothing for my upcoming cruise has a lot of silver in it. So, I have started mixing and hoping to get used to it.

As to your watch dilemma, which one can you see on your wrist if you close your eyes (that sounds strange as I read over it, but I think you get my meaning)?

As to your watch dilemma, which one can you see on your wrist if you close your eyes (that sounds strange as I read over it, but I think you get my meaning)?

I absolutely get it! I really like the darker one ... I have dark hair and eyes, get pretty tan in the summer and wear a lot of brown.

The silver one I probably would only be comfortable wearing with silver, and I have a majority silver watch - though it has gold in it as well, albeit a small amount, and I got it so it would match both. So the darker one, although not on sale (naturally, about twice the price of the one that's on sale at NM Last Call) would be a completely different look than my Coach silver/gold. The MK watch is also a lot bigger than the Coach one. So that's a plus, too. My Coach one is like the silver MK one, in that it has the diamonds going around the face.

So all in all, I think since it's not a rose gold or a gold ... the darker one, since it's more an espresso color, and with the color of the bone, I think it'll go with silver. Especially when I mix in some silver and bone color bangles and such.

So much pressure!:eek:

The watch I wear daily is both silver and gold toned. I didn't realize I'd had it so long until I saw a photo of myself with the kids, they were around 9 and 12 at the time, now they're 21 and 24.

Google searching, it's the same brand and it looks a lot like this:

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Handbags_And_Accessories/Related_Shop/Watches/PRD~5400338T0312102203300/Two+Tone+Quartz+Watch.jsp?cm_mmc=Search%20-%20Google-_-PLA%20Basic%20Campaign-_-PLA%20Primary%20AdGroup-_-AutoTargets&ktid=311-000000

So, it seems not quite a new thing.

My everyday watch is a combination of silver and gold tones, which I chose so that I could wear it with either silver or gold jewelry.

My dress watch is gold; my parents bought it for me as a college graduation gift in 1970. My Dad and I picked it out together because he worked very near what we called the jewelry street in NYC. In those days, you could get a real gold watch for $70. When I had to have the stem replaced after about 20 years, the jeweler told me with was worth over $1500. My Dad and I used to joke that he should have bought a whole bunch of them--none of his other investments went up that much.

I like #2 also because it would go with most things and it has a soft, feminine look.

My wedding band is both white gold and yellow gold and I've been married for 36 years. I must have been fashion forward!;)

I never knew mixing my metals was a no-no :eek:

I've always used my watches as a way to add a pop of color. Right now, my faves are my 3 watches from Toy Watch: one is all white with crystals at the hours, one is gold and clear band with gold face and crystals at the hours, the other is pink faux croc leather band with a pink shell face. I wear the white one more than the others, I just like how it pops out and goes with anything. If I feel dressy, I'll use the gold and clear one. I'll wear the pink one when it calls to me (I can't figure out a definite reason). I prefer a mid or man's watch - my wrists aren't that petite and a straight women's watch gets lost on it. The Kors watches are a good size. I almost bought one of his watches in rose gold with a blue face a couple of months ago.

For your two choices - I'd go with whatever one "calls" to you. I like the first one; it has a very unique coloring to it. The shell one is too much shell to me. The color of it is just too off for me to have it be the entire watch.

But, just my opinion...

I definitely mix metals. My wedding and engagement rings are yellow gold. My 25th anniversary ring, bought while on an Alaska cruise is both white and yellow goals. I deliberately buy watches that have both colors so they'll go with everything.

As for your choices, more than the colors, it depends on what outfits you want them for.

To me, the first one (while I like it better and find it more interesting) is much sportier and I wouldn't wear it when dressing up. The second one is still on the sporty side but could go with dressier clothes. Being me, I'd probably buy them both! :D

I can't mix metals :) CANNOT do it :) But I do understand how something speaks to you, so IMHO that is the one you should choose. I've purchased stuff that spoke to me, having no idea how it would fit into my wardrobe, and it always turns out to be a piece that becomes a staple in my wardrobe. So while I like watch #2, YOU like watch #1, so I think that is the one you should get.

quote:

"I never knew mixing metals was a no-no"

It is not a no-no.......I have been doing it for years. If there are women

out there who think it is wrong? I could care less.. It depends on what

I am wearing but I have way more silver watches than gold and so

on my left wrist I am usually wearing one of them with a new silver

rolo-link bracelet:D and on my right hand I wear a gold ring that was

a combination of my Mother's AND my Dad's wedding rings.....it is

yellow gold with a small diamond bezel set in the center. (I had it

re-set in more modern look). That ring is my staple.....I rarely if ever

take it off. I don't care if my left wrist is a white metal......I also

have a yellow gold bracelet that goes on the right one......so I am

mixing my metals almost every day;)

As for the 2 watches? I like them both:)

I think your #1 is the Espresso and White Horn chronograph. The other one is the White Horn and looks like one of the Glitz watches. For me, there's a little too much sparkle on #2 to be an all around watch. Me - I could wear watch #1 anywhere, anytime. People could just shield their eyes from my watch if they didn't like it on formal night ;)

Guest maddycat

I like the first watch. I think that it is much more interesting than the second watch. It is less dressy, but if it were mine I know that I would wear it much more than the other watch.

There's no better or worse IMO

Pick the one you like better.

I've never loved mixing metals but I'm more used to it now than I used to be.

I have always preferred yellow gold but I'm doing some mixing these days.

I know mixing metals is popular, and it has been in jewelry for quite some time. I used to wear silver/gold watches for years, but when I started concentrating on only wearing colors that look good on me, the gold had to go. The only yellow gold I have left is my wedding ring, and we're trying to figure out if we will have the same ring remade in white gold or go for a new ring design completely.

I don't care if other people mix their metals - I frequently see clothing designed with warm & cool colors together. I just won't be buying either.

I wound up going with watch 1 ... The face on it is HUGE and while I know that's the trend, it's going to take some getting used to. I am going to NM tomorrow to do a try on, which I should have done in the first place. How I ordered swimsuits online recently and all three fit perfectly - yes, swimsuits ... fit, yet I can't order a WATCH online without questioning it, I don't know.

Here's a pic of it on my wrist. What do you ladies think? I have a very "feminine" nice watch so I'm not worried about it not looking all dainty and dressy.

That said, here's another one I want to try on in person, to see if I like the look of it on my wrist better. It's different from my current silver and gold one that it would absolutely be a completely different look for me. But I like the fun look of the bone and tortoise and espresso too ... maybe just getting used to the width of the watch face is all it'll take!

As an aside, my wedding caterer had on a Michael Kors watch today that I could NOT stop looking at. But it was just silver.

watch.jpg.ed575ea89900943d75d75646e5201712.jpg

NMY10NN_mx.jpg.d3eb68556876997dc0373ac34a3d0252.jpg

Archived