Can you take food off the ship?

avalon007

Are we allowed to take food off of the ship for lunch in the ports? Are their things in the buffets, for instance, that we can pack in a hand bag for the day we are in port and carry it off of the ship?

not allowed but i always take a banana and apple for a snack.

Since these rules also apply in larger ports such as Vancouver, I doubt that it's the local restaurants pushing it.

Every thread seems to bring out conspiracy theorists (e.g. Norwegian Breakaway's maiden voyage balcony damage was alleged by the OP to be due to cost cuts without any factual basis).

There have been so many cases of hitchhiking pests becoming major ecological problems over the years (starting with rats on islands in the Caribbean and Galapagos), that I can see why governments have adopted very strict laws to try to prevent further occurrences.

By June, a ship like Coral Princess can be assumed to have nothing on board that wasn't vetted by either Canadian or US inspectors (and despite national pride one way or the other I think it's fair to assume they are both good at what they do), but the law can't have exceptions for cases like this so we all have to abide by the rules.

I'm curious about what kind of prepackaged food items are available on board. I am already planning on bringing some beef jerky and some packaged nuts from home. What can I expect to get on board the Star Princess?

Once upon a time, in Hawaii, we asked for lunch "to go" and they wrapped up a sandwich and some fruit in a swan shaped piece of foil. That was 1990, so I guess things have changed since then. We never asked after that cruise, there just wasn't a reason to take a lunch off the ship with us in the subsequent cruises.

It was really nice though.....I was just getting over a bout of stomach flu and I knew I needed something to keep in my stomach throughout the day. This cruise, I'm packing a lot more snacks, just in case.

I'm curious about what kind of prepackaged food items are available on board. I am already planning on bringing some beef jerky and some packaged nuts from home. What can I expect to get on board the Star Princess?

Probably none; bring your own from home.

I'm curious about what kind of prepackaged food items are available on board.

Not much. You might find some packaged candy and such in the gift shop, but it will be seriously expensive. Better to bring things from home. I usually bring a few granola bars and some individual packets of almonds.

Once upon a time, in Hawaii, we asked for lunch "to go" and they wrapped up a sandwich and some fruit in a swan shaped piece of foil. That was 1990, so I guess things have changed since then. We never asked after that cruise, there just wasn't a reason to take a lunch off the ship with us in the subsequent cruises.

This surprises me since Hawaii is really strict bringing in food, from what I recall from my one (non-cruise) trip there.

At those times that we took food from the ship, we generally took some sandwiches or fruit from breakfast wrapped in napkins or paper towels or toilet paper.

But most of the time we just had a breakfast, got off the ship and ate again at dinner time 8 to 12 hours later. Going half a day without eating was not really that big of a deal.

Are we allowed to take food off of the ship for lunch in the ports? Are their things in the buffets, for instance, that we can pack in a hand bag for the day we are in port and carry it off of the ship?

If I cannot figure out a head of time, where to grab Hubby some food in each port for his meds, there will be a small dinner roll or danish in my back pack. I do not take cheese or meat, or fruit.

I know for Skagway & our drive up to Emerald Lake, there will be `` a little something`` in my bag. ;)

If I cannot figure out a head of time, where to grab Hubby some food in each port for his meds, there will be a small dinner roll or danish in my back pack. I do not take cheese or meat, or fruit.

I know for Skagway & our drive up to Emerald Lake, there will be `` a little something`` in my bag. ;)

A prepackaged granola bar that you brought with you makes a great "a little something".

Just because there haven't been "food inspections" done at ports, doesn't mean there won't be.

I'm one that follows the rules. Last year, when doing the 8 hour tour, I made sure to pack a couple of granola bars to have. It really annoyed me when I saw someone on the bus pull a muffin out of their bag.

Fruit is one of the extreme specific things that really should not be taken off the ship....

You know, i certainly understand this if it is a foreign country port. But with us staying in Alaska which is US- what is the problem with a piece of fruit?

The issue with fresh fruit is that there is no way to tell where the ship bought it. You can bet that they don't throw away everything when the Alaska cruise season starts.

Many US states have suffered severe crop losses when uninspected food items came in to their areas.

Alaska does grow some food!

Prior to every trip I check for the snack items I have ready to pack and if they are not sufficient I make a run to Costco for more granola bars and that sort of prepacked items.

I've been on many flights where I would have gone hungry if not for my own stash of snack items.

If you have a medical need to have food at a specific time, it is your own responsibility.

Stores in Alaska do sell food items. Many shops have local specialities. I promise you won't go hungry for lack of making a picnic off the breakfast buffet on your ship.

In Australia and New Zealand they actually had the food sniffing dogs (at the port after you got off the ship) and did search some people's hand baggage. I have cruised a lot and never seen a port or country THAT aggressive. So don't try it there!

K

You know, i certainly understand this if it is a foreign country port. But with us staying in Alaska which is US- what is the problem with a piece of fruit?

As PennyAgain stated, there is NO WAY to tell where food was purchased on a cruise ship. This even applies to your local grocery store. Right now, only a small percentage of produce/fruit is grown in the USA. Most is coming from South of the Border or overseas.

I am in the international food transportation business. The RULES regarding food transportation/food safety with the new global market place are growing every single day.

HACCP is one which is expanding to more and more food manufacturers and distributors and controls EVERY aspect of food from the field/stream/ocean to the consumer's refrigerator. It was started to control the manufacturing process but has now expanded to distributors and transportation companies.

There are even companies that require TRUCKING COMPANIES to possess BIO TERROR sheets to even get their food unloaded at their docks. One is a very well known specialty foods store (NOT Whole Foods). As the transport carrier, we have to certify that while the food has been in our possession it had NO CHANCE to be contaminated with anything BIO TERROR (anthrax, sarin, ricin, anhydrous, smallpox, salmonella, etc. etc). Hence, the bio terror sheets. And most of what we transport for this company is MADE IN THE USA. The vendors are certified that they are aware of the potential for damage and and will prevent any bio terror incidents as are their transporters.

I have US governments contracts in the War Zones which require me to inspect food and look at the labels to make sure food served to our US Military and Military contractors is purchased according to DFAR rules (Defense Federal Acquisition Rules which basically state EVERYTHING purchased by the Defense Dept should be from the USA unless a comparable product can be purchased at the same price with the same quality standards elsewhere and the outside purchases are only allowed from certain countries) You know which are the HARDEST to identify as to country of origin??? PRODUCE and FRUIT. Same thing in the USA.

Right now, there is produce coming from all parts of Mexico, some parts of South America, from Asia and Africa. Is the food inspected? Is it supposed to be safe? Are there any BUGS that may harm the USA's food production capability? While the answer SHOULD be YES to all three questions, port time, longshoreman contracts, sequestration and convenience sometimes override prudence and extensive inspections. I'm telling you from my experience in this field, it would NOT be too hard to infect an entire container of fruit with a bio hazard or a BUG which devastates US agriculture.

For everyone's safety, please take only packaged foods that are SEALED off the ship. Those bananas DEFINITELY were not grown in the USA and the apples may not have been either. You won't starve on an excursion.

Really? There is a hierarchy to the forbidden list? Please post the specifics and the source.

Oh, yeah!!!!

Fruits, produce and fresh meats top the list. Cheeses, dairy, fish (because it is usually frozen before transport) and processed foods like all the pre-packaged meals that are sold now are further down the list. USDA/HACCP/FDA/FSIS all have lists of what is and is not allowed into the USA and what inspection procedures are done for each category.

After living in CA, with its agricultural inspections at its borders, and WA, with its apple maggot quarantine area, I am well aware of why it is important to be careful about transporting produce. Maybe others, who have never had to deal with such issues, are not as aware, and think it's no big deal to take an apple off the ship. To me, that sounds like one of the worst possible offenses!

As with some other things in life, just because you don't understand WHY the rule exists or think that what you are doing couldn't possibly be harmful does NOT mean that you are allowed to do it.

Also be aware that you are not supposed to take ANY food to Mendenhall Glacier, even prepackaged, due to bears.

In Australia and New Zealand they actually had the food sniffing dogs (at the port after you got off the ship) and did search some people's hand baggage. I have cruised a lot and never seen a port or country THAT aggressive. So don't try it there!

K

I've seen a sniffer beagle in action at Miami International Airport -- she caught an elderly American man (guessing late 80s or older) with an apple in his carry-on coming from Brazil following an Amazon cruise. The officials were kind but insistent that he 1) had something (he originally denied it but I think he was more confused than anything) and 2) that if he didn't give it to them they would go through his carry-on. Meanwhile the beagle had rolled over and the gentleman's wife was busy petting its belly :D.

People who know way more about the threat than you or me (US and Canadian Departments of Agriculture) have an issue with it so that's good enough for me.

This appeared in the Princess Patter on our Alaska cruise last summer:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On "Disembarkation Day" in Whittier the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

Oh, yeah!!!!

Fruits, produce and fresh meats top the list. Cheeses, dairy, fish (because it is usually frozen before transport) and processed foods like all the pre-packaged meals that are sold now are further down the list. USDA/HACCP/FDA/FSIS all have lists of what is and is not allowed into the USA and what inspection procedures are done for each category.

Thanks greatam, it is always good to see a post from you! I like knowing that you are out of harm's way.

Thanks greatam, it is always good to see a post from you! I like knowing that you are out of harm's way.

OT

Thanks I am here in the USA. STILL waiting for clearance to finish my contracts. My contracts are not up for another year and I was supposed to complete a swing through Afghanistan and Kuwait in the last month and only got to Kuwait because of clearance problems into the War Zones (DOD because of sequestration couldn't get me on anything but a military plane from Kuwait to Bagram and the planes were full-sound familiar???)

I am really sad I won't have too many more opportunities to go back to the War Zones. I know "war is hell" but the GOOD we have done in Iraq and Afghanistan cannot be understated. I have really had a fabulous time, met sooooooo many truly good people who really give a damn.

To see our US female soldiers interacting with the women and little girls in Afghanistan and just giving them some inspiration that life really can be MORE than just a bearer of children in an illiterate society warms my heart. Women have actually started more businesses than the men in Afghanistan (small, home based but needed income from something other than the poppy fields none the less) and Iraq is wide open again for women to do just about anything they want. The fancy shopping center in Baghdad makes most of the upscale US designer outlet malls look like second level shopping areas. You would be just astonished at all the mini skirts and fancy, heavily sequined almost bare tops worn in Baghdad.

Send me an email-greatam.az@gmail.com. I need to ask you something.

Gina

At those times that we took food from the ship, we generally took some sandwiches or fruit from breakfast wrapped in napkins or paper towels or toilet paper.

But most of the time we just had a breakfast, got off the ship and ate again at dinner time 8 to 12 hours later. Going half a day without eating was not really that big of a deal.

Good thinking. Duel purpose packing. :D

Archived