Chefs Table and Captains Table

miched

Have read many threads and discussions about the Captains table. Wonder why there is a fee to dine with the Chef and not the Captain? :confused:

Reading about how great it is to dine with the Captain from those that have I wonder how many after being selected or invited would then also be willing to pay a fee to do so. :rolleyes: :D

Have read many threads and discussions about the Captains table. Wonder why there is a fee to dine with the Chef and not the Captain? :confused:

Reading about how great it is to dine with the Captain from those that have I wonder how many after being selected or invited would then also be willing to pay a fee to do so. :rolleyes: :D

Captain's Table is by invitation and free. Chef's Table is offered for an additional charge on some cruises. The Captain's Table may be hosted by various officers including the Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Hotel Director as well as the Captain. Usually held on a Formal Night, but not limited to a formal evening. On my recent Reflection TA there was a Captain's Table almost every evening. They were hosted by some of the less senior officers. When the Captain is the host it's called the Master's Table.

We participated in the Chef's table on another cruise line. I can't say enough how wonderful it was and worth the money. I hope Celebrity Silhouette offers it in January.

On the Carnival cruise's Chef's Table, the Executive Chef met us in a lounge; we were given a tour of the galley where we enjoyed hor d'oeurves and bubbly wine. we then went to a private area where we were served 7 courses all prepared by the Executive Chef. he explained each course and we were served by specially selected members of the wait staff wearing white gloves - very elegant. Wine was included in the fee for the evening and they kept our glasses full! We also had a break mid-way through the meal and were entertained by a mentalist.

The food was fabulous - equal to any fine dining experience in any restaurant.

We participated in the Chef's table on another cruise line. I can't say enough how wonderful it was and worth the money. I hope Celebrity Silhouette offers it in January.

On the Carnival cruise's Chef's Table, the Executive Chef met us in a lounge; we were given a tour of the galley where we enjoyed hor d'oeurves and bubbly wine. we then went to a private area where we were served 7 courses all prepared by the Executive Chef. he explained each course and we were served by specially selected members of the wait staff wearing white gloves - very elegant. Wine was included in the fee for the evening and they kept our glasses full! We also had a break mid-way through the meal and were entertained by a mentalist.

The food was fabulous - equal to any fine dining experience in any restaurant.

Debbi, I hope you will find a similar experience on Celebrity as the one you describe on Carnival. We have done the Chef's Table on Princess and it was fabulous! Search a little more on this board for my inquiry about a Chef's Table on Celebrity. From the responses, I think I'm going to pass. Sounds like it's a mediocre experience at best for almost twice the money!

Good luck to you on Silhouette.

They are 2 different things.....there is no fee to dine at the Captain's

Table. It is an "Invitaton" that people receive to dine with him.

The Chef's Table is something totally different. No invitations go out.

It is a dinner that you pay extra money to participate in........

They have nothing to do with each other.

Which board have you read about them on?

We have been invited twice. It is a fabulous time. Often though, it may be dinner with a ship officer or officers instead. This is the one time where you are entirely treated like royalty. And we are just average Joes.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. We've been invited 2 or 3 times on Celebrity. After the last one DW and I agreed we would politely decline any future invitation, should one be offered. The best Captain's table we attended was on a Princess cruise where we ate with him every night of the cruise. What made it special was the captain himself who was a very affable Italian.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. We've been invited 2 or 3 times on Celebrity. After the last one DW and I agreed we would politely decline any future invitation, should one be offered. The best Captain's table we attended was on a Princess cruise where we ate with him every night of the cruise. What made it special was the captain himself who was a very affable Italian.

Yes It Really Depends On The Personality of your hosts. Our first one, it was really difficult to make conversation, and his accent was quite strong. On our second invite however, the hosts (we had 2 officers) could not have been more delightful. I like the fact that you have 3 or 4 of the top waitstaff at your beg and call.

Captain's Table is by invitation and free. Chef's Table is offered for an additional charge on some cruises. The Captain's Table may be hosted by various officers including the Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Hotel Director as well as the Captain. Usually held on a Formal Night, but not limited to a formal evening. On my recent Reflection TA there was a Captain's Table almost every evening. They were hosted by some of the less senior officers. When the Captain is the host it's called the Master's Table.

They are 2 different things.....there is no fee to dine at the Captain's

Table. It is an "Invitaton" that people receive to dine with him.

The Chef's Table is something totally different. No invitations go out.

It is a dinner that you pay extra money to participate in........

They have nothing to do with each other.

I know that they are completely different. That is not my question. My question is if there was a charge to dine with the captain and I will also add other officers would you be willing to pay for it?

I know that they are completely different. That is not my question. My question is if there was a charge to dine with the captain and I will also add other officers would you be willing to pay for it?

No! They should pay to dine with me!

No! They should pay to dine with me!

Turn that around......would Celebrity be willing to pay my wife and I for 1 hour of my time to give them an honest perspective of operations from a customer's viewpoint?

Our best officer dinner was with the food and wine manager, not the captain. We had some wonderful wine that night.....

Turn that around......would Celebrity be willing to pay my wife and I for 1 hour of my time to give them an honest perspective of operations from a customer's viewpoint?

Our best officer dinner was with the food and wine manager, not the captain. We had some wonderful wine that night.....

Not a bad idea. I've suggested that Celebrity create an advisory committee comprised of passanger to act as a sounding board and resource. I've been told that Celebrity already does this, but have found nothing to confirm. I've been to more than my fair share of tables and believe that the Captain is not always the best host. Don't turn down an opportunity to dine with Bernhard if you want a great evening.

I've been to more than my fair share of tables and believe that the Captain is not always the best host. Don't turn down an opportunity to dine with Bernhard if you want a great evening.

It has been an amazing experience, sometimes.

We have been at a table where there was one bottle of house white and one bottle of house red to be shared for the entire table. Once gone it was gone!

We have been with some officers with great taste buds and the good wines flowed throughout the meal.

I could not imagine a more pleasant table then one hosted by Bernhard.

There are a variety of ways =

Sometimes an officer knows some passengers are on board and requests that they be invited

Generally the top cruiser(s) for that sailing are invited

Often the passengers who booked the most expensive suites are invited

Sometimes back-to-back passengers get invitations

Sometimes first-time-ever cruisers get an invitation

Sometimes the Captain's Club host knows of a particularly interesting passenger and sets up the invitation

I know of at least one couple who were invited because they spoke the same language as the officer who was hosting that night, and didn't speak much English, and that officer was trying to be especially nice to them.

I'm sure others can chime in with further knowledge of other situations

Sometimes an officer knows some passengers are on board and requests that they be invited

Sometimes the Captain's Club host knows of a particularly interesting passenger and sets up the invitation

I know of at least one couple who were invited because they spoke the same language as the officer who was hosting that night, and didn't speak much English, and that officer was trying to be especially nice to them.

Looks like you have it covered:D;):)

Good list.You might add someone celebrating a special event . I've been at tables with frequent cruisers on other lines, especially Princess and HAL.

It is an interesting point. For sure there would be some demand and willingness to pay to eat at the Captain's Table. Maybe in the next round of price increases. :) We have been invited 3 times and gone twice. Decline once. It was fun, it was fun to meet others and actually that became the best part with doing things with others that attended Captain's table. For sure, there has to be someone who would pay for the experience.

People will pay for almost anything. The key is there enough people without alienating too many. Airlines are charging for almost everything now and without much pushback from what I read.

There have been some funny threads listing areas/services the cruise lines could charge for.

Hope you have not given Celebrity an idea. :rolleyes:

And then there are those, like the famous Onslow of Keeping Up Appearances, who famously said:

Onslow: [speaking to Hyacinth] So then, this purser chap came up to the cabin and said we're on the captain's table. And I thought "Blimey!" I mean, you win a competition, you get a luxury cruise, and then they expect you to eat with the crew!

Archived