The Big Tippers Club??

freddie

We are so blessed that we are able to cruise as much as we do, that we are happy to give to others who work hard for a living. Calling it a Big Tippers Club is putting a negative on something that is done with pleasure, from our point of view. You don't have to tip if you don't want to. We choose to do so and that doesn't make us bad.

I've been lurking on this board for some years, leaving the postings to my Wanderer partner. But this thread has caused me to set up an account.

I recall a few years ago on Manihi, an out island in French Polynesia, that I was in a bar (surprise!) and left a tip. The server got very insulted, and the only way to make it up to her was to allow her to buy me and the Wanderer and drink after she got off her shift. Tipping is an insult in that culture. This is not true in Papete any more, and is probably eroding on the out islands. But I like the idea.

Similarly, on Regent I assume that the company pays their staff a decent wage, and like the fact that tips are not expected. I do contribute to the staff fund however.

In most of the real world, tips are an important part of the server's income, and so if one receives good service one should leave a tip. If one gets great service, a large tip is called for. But I certainly don't tip in advance, and wish the servers made a decent wage without tips. But that is not the world in which we live.

Now, about Oceania: tips are included as part of the package. They aren't folded into the price of the cruise like Regent, but are added. Sort of like the liquor situation: on Regent drinks are part of the price of the cruise while on Oceania you add the package that is most appropriate. I don't have a problem with any of this, either on Regent or on Oceania.

But, tips on Oceania have already been paid by me, and I assume that plus their salaries make the crew decently paid. I expect that if I am as happy with our upcoming first Oceania cruise as I expect to be, I'll donate to the crew fund as I do on Regent. But unless some crew member does something really spectacular I am unlikely to give them any additional money: if somebody particularly impresses me I will write management a letter about him/her. And I certainly would never consider giving out more money before the cruise.

So perhaps I need to find a Skinflint Club. If the Big Tipper Club is meeting in a swank lounge somewhere on the ship, perhaps we can meet at the same time but down in one of the laundry rooms or somewhere equally non-swanky.

Butlers consider tipping at the beginning of a cruise "tacky" but a nice note with your $$$ thanks at the end of a cruise is very much appreciated as well as remembered. The same would go for your room steward and their helper. We have a waiter whose son we have watched, in pictures, grow up and always bring him a book.

If your a one timer on O it probably won't matter to you however if your a regular it certainly will.

On what do you base your "tacky" comment ?

Do ALL Butlers consider this "tacky"?

Do butlers consider all tipping "tacky"

Do they refuse to accept tips at the beginning of a cruise because they consider it so "tacky"?

My own experience is that people whom I tip on a cruise appear very grateful regardless of amount or the time it was proffered.

Your experience might vary.

On what do you base your "tacky" comment ?

Do ALL Butlers consider this "tacky"?

Do butlers consider all tipping "tacky"

Do they refuse to accept tips at the beginning of a cruise because they consider it so "tacky"?

"Tacky" was a term used in conversation with a head butler speaking of his most difficult cruisers who always tip in advance of any services rendered.

Bribe! I don't think so. Tacky, I think that was not a Butler saying it, but really the writer of the post. Tipping in advance is old school at best. And people that fill out the comment cards with their own names posted, what do you think you want from that (same as a tip). Most people that tip don't just tip the person that serves them dinner--they tip because they want to reward someone that made their vacation better. And Grammick said "Sharing our good fortune", how nice is that.

The reason cruise lines started automatic tipping is because all the deadbeats that never go to dinner the last night of the cruise so they have to leave a tip. Also if you read Oceania's and most other cruiselines brochures you'll see the the automatic tipping is only a suggestion guideline for tipping, each and every person can add or subtract as they wish.

And you don't have to belong to any club to reward someone for doing a good job....

Rick

ronrick1943, "Bribe! I don't think so." If that comment was in response to my post, I would like you to explain what you would call a "tip" to a bartender before you have been served for the first time; a "tip" to a room steward/stewardess/butler as soon as you meet them; a "tip" to the maitre'd before you have been seated for the first time; and/or a "tip"to any crew member before you have received service. If that is not a "bribe" expecting something in return, I need assistance in understanding why someone would choose the option.

I don't belong to any club. I have always supported the crew fund when we have been onboard a ship and tip others as I wish. I have never "tipped" before receiving service and I definitely do not understand the concept. (Explanations would be appreciated from those who do!)

I don't think people like Jim, Stan, Jan and others were (said) tipping before service was given. Tipping the way I and others understand is given after service has been given. Which is why "O" states Auto tip is just a suggestion. The question has been "NOT" to tip or "TO" tip extra. Everybody has a reason why they do or don't-it's as simple as that.

Rick

From the OP,

"So, dear CC contributors and Oceania experts, what is the real deal here? Is it the fact that one only receives excellent service (with warmth, no less) when one is part of the Big Tippers Club? If so, is it the custom to make the extra tips for special service at the end of the cruise (as does the very wise hrprof, whose opinion we respect greatly) or at the beginning of the cruise (as does a certain poster, whose DH prefers to throw loads of cash about at the first possible instance in order to establish his reputation for lavish tipping)?"

ronrick1943, I have just started reading the Oceania board as I met a staff member on a flight who convinced me that Oceania is a cruise line that I (we) should consider. I don't know Jim, Stan, Jan, timbo89, and/or canuck,qc, etc. and my response has been to the OP's post. We have previously sailed with people who "tip" ahead of time; people who tip part way through a cruise; people who tip part way through a cruise and again at the end of a cruise; people who tip at the end of a cruise; people who contribute to the crew fund; people who tip and contribute to the crew fund; people who tip the set amount set out by a cruise line; and, yes, even some people who do not tip at all. I have never thought that answers to tipping were so "simple" not to ask questions of those who typically sail on a cruise line. I have learned much from CC and that is how I found out about a "crew fund". Before that, I often wondered how people could choose who to tip when every crew member made my cruise such a wonderful experience.

Each cruise line is different and I appreciate those posters who share their experiences and how life onboard works even if my questions or comments are deemed "simple". Thanks for letting me know your opinion.

I don't think people like Jim, Stan, Jan and others were (said) tipping before service was given. ...

I beg to differ. I had a clear memory of JimandStan saying something like this, so I did a search.

In the "Tipping? - prepaid gratuities" thread, post #7, they said:

"We have always believed in giving a partial tip in the beginning of the cruise and an additional amount before disembarking, especially to the room stewards and butler. It has always been our experience to have exceptional service throughout the ship. A surly or disgruntled crew member may exist on O, but I don't think we have found any, or if we did, he or she was soon forgotten!"

And in the "gratuities from travel agent thread" thread they said in post #5:

"I suppose that the auto tip is a suitable base amount, but the service on Oceania has always been so good (our last cruise on Riviera was a real stunner, service wise), that we have never felt comfortable not tipping more, anyway.

We do this not only to reward the hardworking staff, but in the hope that we will be pegged as good tippers. Trust me, that is a club that you want to be a part of..."

This last statement, I believe, and others like it, were the posts that caused the OP to start the thread.

Not passing judgement, just setting the record straight.

The reason cruise lines started automatic tipping is because all the deadbeats that never go to dinner the last night of the cruise so they have to leave a tip. Rick

This is not correct. The main reason to introduce automatic tipping was the introduction of anytime dining. Because with anytime dining you do not have the same waiting staaf for the entire cruise it is easier to settle the tip automaticaly.

OK, you set the record straight---Sorry! However tipping is a personal thing, and I agree with Jim & Stan, the service is better than good, and tipping for good service is something I want to do-when I give a tip is really up to me. I personally don't tip up front, but do tip thought out the trip when I request something from the staff. I agree that the amount of the automatic tip isn't enough and is only a starting point. (which was started because people didn't tip at all or tipped very little, it's just a fact).

Also for people that disagree, that's OK--But let's understand that when people fill out that comment card half way doing the cruise and sign the card with name & cabin number without tipping because they think that's the way to go----their hoping for better service or favors just the same without tipping. We'll never agree, but for me I fill out the card (good or bad) and tip along the way. Because I prefer an upper suite I know I get extra perks, and I don't have to tip, but I do anyway because it makes me feel good doing something for someone else. And before you say it, We're not high maintenance, nor demanding - but we do enjoy cruising on "O". We also don't mind paying for what we get--read some of these post and you'll see who really are demanding and what I talking about. Rick

Dutch Explorers "This is not correct. The main reason to introduce automatic tipping was the introduction of anytime dining. Because with anytime dining you do not have the same waiting staaf for the entire cruise it is easier to settle the tip automaticaly."

Think your wrong, (maybe that's what part of it) on other ships they charge a fee for dining in other places (they also say the fee covers additional tip for staff at that dining place. I know on "O" that's not the case, but they are doing what is the standard of cruising-this automatic tipping was before "O". Also you have the same cabin staff through out the cruise. Same bar tenders (who add a tip).

OK, you set the record straight---Sorry! However tipping is a personal thing, and I agree with Jim & Stan, the service is better than good, and tipping for good service is something I want to do-when I give a tip is really up to me. ... when people fill out that comment card half way doing the cruise and sign the card with name & cabin number without tipping because they think that's the way to go----their hoping for better service or favors just the same without tipping.

Sorry I sounded like a pedant, Rick. I think the crux for me is that I'm coming from Regent (and others are too, btw.) I am used to all-inclusive. So I, and hardly anyone on a Regent cruise, tip for service during the cruise. It's not because we are cheap, but because it's all part of the "all-inclusive" experience. And it's what we're used to. Many of us contribute to the crew fund at the conclusion of the cruise, some people give special people cash or gifts. Some do none of that.

Is it the case that there is *no* crew welfare fund on the Oceania ships?

ronrick1943 or other Oceania cruisers, this thread has given me even more questions on tipping. We sailed Crystal before "all inclusive" and added tips when service was provided.

When you eat in one of the restaurants that is not the MDR, do you leave a tip at that time?

What do you mean by the bar tenders add a tip? If you buy one of the drink packages, are tips included or is there another 18% (or whatever percentage) added to the drink bill. Do you sign for each drink or do passengers give their cruise card and have to place a signature on each bill showing the purchase of the drink and an additional line for gratuity?

If you give an extra gratuity on the receipt and are sitting at a table, does the person who is waiting on you receive any portion of the gratuity or does it go to the bartender?

I`m beginning to think that Oceania might not be a good fit for us. We cruise to enjoy the variety of itineraries, fellow passengers who enjoy socializing, and the day to day life onboard the ship. If many people believe that they should receive better perks or different service because of who they are, what they tip or the suite that they have booked, they are not the people with whom we have spent extended time with on past sailings. I appreciate the answers that all posters have given as it ensures that we are able to make an informed decision.

Thank you to all who choose to provide their opinions.

mariners,

Please don't discard O because of this discussion. Like other incendiary topics like dress codes, children and smoking, the people ion these boards only represent a small fraction of those who sail on O and most of the others (who have never heard of CC) do not worry one whit about any of it. They just do what they want and so should you.

ronrick1943 or other Oceania cruisers, this thread has given me even more questions on tipping. We sailed Crystal before "all inclusive" and added tips when service was provided.

When you eat in one of the restaurants that is not the MDR, do you leave a tip at that time? We do not but I am sure you could if you wanted to

What do you mean by the bar tenders add a tip? we do not drink much so the added 18% does for us

If you buy one of the drink packages, are tips included YES

Do you sign for each drink or do passengers give their cruise card and have to place a signature on each bill showing the purchase of the drink and an additional line for gratuity? The 18% is added to drink purchases except the package which has been included in the base price

I am sure if you want to add extra though not required there probably is a line for it ..I never really checked

I`m beginning to think that Oceania might not be a good fit for us. We cruise to enjoy the variety of itineraries, fellow passengers who enjoy socializing, and the day to day life onboard the ship. If many people believe that they should receive better perks or different service because of who they are, what they tip or the suite that they have booked, they are not the people with whom we have spent extended time with on past sailings. I appreciate the answers that all posters have given as it ensures that we are able to make an informed decision.

Thank you to all who choose to provide their opinions.

I have only met a couple of "special people" on our Oceania cruises & they are easy to avoid

We have met some very nice, well travelled & sociable people a few we still keep contact with

You will meet those "special people " in all walks of life ;)

Go with an open mind & you will probably enjoy the O experience

Others may have different opinions this is just mine

Lyn

I have only met a couple of "special people" on our Oceania cruises & they are easy to avoid

We have met some very nice, well travelled & sociable people a few we still keep contact with

You will meet those "special people " in all walks of life ;)

Go with an open mind & you will probably enjoy the O experience

Others may have different opinions this is just mine

Lyn

Lyn,

I agree with you (again). Well over 95% of the people we came across on Oceania were well travelled, "well socialized and behaved" people; very few "special people" and as you say, they are easily avoidable.

They (the special, or "entitled" people) are indeed part of our social fabric and omnipresent but are fortunately a rare breed on O. :)

Wripro, you're 100% right and I agree with you. Mariners, you'll love "O", and I didn't mean to miss lead you, if you buy the drink package the tip is included. And no we don't tip every time you turn around. Like I said before if someone does something "extra special" for you any place on the ship---it's a personal thing if you want to or not give a little extra. Like any good hotel or restaurant.

Lyn, (Paulchili) Where did you read any of these people think they are "special or entitled" but on the other hand if there in a higher end suite, yes they are entitled to more of whatever, they paid extra for that.........Rick

Lyn, (Paulchili) Where did you read any of these people think they are "special or entitled" but on the other hand if there in a higher end suite, yes they are entitled to more of whatever, they paid extra for that.........Rick

I did not READ anywhere about the "special People" I have witnessed some of them onboard & I avoid them at all costs

Paul will speak for himself

I do not think either Paul or I were talking about people entitled to more since they paid for higher end suites .... :rolleyes:

Lyn

Sometimes I am a bit puzzled at the Oceania CC boards tendency to judge or be negative. I have not found that tendency in the people I have met on-board.

What if Jim & Stan and Grammy K want to be in the "big tippers club" not because they are "bribing" their butlers. . . . . . but because they feel that good service should be rewarded? What if they are not tearing $100 bills, but happy to share their good fortune with those around them?

We tip on the 2nd or third day in accordance with the level of service we receive. We do not see it as a bribe but as a "thanks for making our cruise great" statement. We continue to tip as the service warrants.

I was a banquet server and waitress throughout high school and college. I never saw a tip early in the reception as a "bribe" to give someone preferential service. I saw it as a "we appreciate you working your tail off" or at the least "keep up the good work".

The mention of a butler thinking an early tip is "tacky" was mentioned. Maybe the crew would think that those who would rather pay into a "crew welfare fund" considering that the name suggests that this is somehow charity rather than a reward for hard work are tacky? The idea of a "crew gratuity" is much better as it implies that those behind the scenes should be rewarded as well.

I understand the view that gratuities included means just that. . . . . you should not feel that you need to tip more. I also realize in some countries tipping is viewed differently than in the US. To each his own and I hope everyone on Oceania cruisecritic many more happy cruises in the future.:)

Could this be one of the many threads on Oceania CC that need a burial rather than continue?

I did not READ anywhere about the "special People" I have witnessed some of them onboard & I avoid them at all costs

Paul will speak for himself

I do not think either Paul or I were talking about people entitled to more since they paid for higher end suites .... :rolleyes:

Lyn

+1

Sometimes these "entitled people" are in inside cabins (or whatever other cabin) - we are talking about attitude here.

I have no problem with people receiving more because they paid more - that is to be expected - that is not entitlement.

I also have no problem with anyone tipping whenever, whatever they want; I will do as I feel is right for me :)

Editing to clarify:

When I talked about entitled people I was not referring to anyone on this thread or to the amount people tip or the cabin level they stay in.

I was talking about some people who always feel entitled to special treatment wherever they are - and I think we have all met them. It's about their attitude to life and others around them that makes me avoid them.

I was simply trying to assure mariners that these type of people are not common on Oceania and most travelers are congenial - they should not hesitate to cruise O based on this thread.

As to when and how much people tip is their personal matter and therefore none of my business.

Archived