Beware Montreal cabbies!

We were reminded of how we should confirm cab fare with the driver. We arrived on the Maasdam on May 18. The old port was a 5 minute walk from our hotel, Springhill Suites. We did not want to haul our luggage so asked an a Montreal greeter at the port what the fare would be. She said 6 or 7 dollars so we decided that sounded great.

We got in without asking the fare, 1 minute later we were at the hotel and the driver said we owed him 21 dollars! Are you kidding me. My husband paid him with no tip. We got his information and filed a complaint. The clerk at the hotel said 6 or 7 dollars is what we should have paid.

We heard from the authorities today who said they would put a complaint in his file but we would have to be present to go to court.

This was the only downside to our visit in Montreal. Just confirm with cabbie not a port greeter.

Funny, we had the same story. Same date and going to the same hotel. I think we only ended up paying 14 but I had actually gotten a quote online for &7.60. I forgot to ask the driver when we got in so I didn't question it but I knew when I got out of the cab I made a mistake by not asking up front! Yes, watch the Montreal cab drivers or maybe any city is the same, I couldn't say because we don't take many cabs.

We were reminded of how we should confirm cab fare with the driver. We arrived on the Maasdam on May 18. The old port was a 5 minute walk from our hotel, Springhill Suites. We did not want to haul our luggage so asked an a Montreal greeter at the port what the fare would be. She said 6 or 7 dollars so we decided that sounded great.

We got in without asking the fare, 1 minute later we were at the hotel and the driver said we owed him 21 dollars! Are you kidding me. My husband paid him with no tip. We got his information and filed a complaint. The clerk at the hotel said 6 or 7 dollars is what we should have paid.

We heard from the authorities today who said they would put a complaint in his file but we would have to be present to go to court.

This was the only downside to our visit in Montreal. Just confirm with cabbie not a port greeter.

This is no different anywhere in the world, and somewhat unfair to pin on Montreal. For example, Las Vegas is famous for long hauling passengers, in a recent study over 1 in 5 trips were long-hauled. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/24/ever-get-feeling-cab-industry-long-hauling-legisla/

For this reason, I tend stick to local city transit or are very careful about taxi rides and make sure I fully understand where I am, where I'm going and how much it's going to cost.

especially in front of hotel.Had this happen just recently in Hanoi, quoted $20 and then asked $30.Said NO and hotel bellman assisted in getting rid of driver with no more fuss.

Same thing in Nuremburg at ship,did NOT pay and had ship staffer get rid of driver.

So common everywhere...just DON T PAY EXTRA and walk away.:eek:

We had a problem in Fort Lauderdale with a cab driver who got lost on the way to a small boutique hotel. He ended up going miles out of the way. It was easy to spot that since he made a U-turn and started heading back down the beachfront highway. I paid him what I thought the ride should be. He did not argue.

To counter this unfortunate event, I have a heartwarming taxi story :)

Just returned from a fabulous Asia cruise. I flew into Beijing the day before, arriving very early morning.

After a nap at my hotel I decided to go and explore Beijing a little in the afternoon. Taxi from hotel to Tianamen Square took about 15 minutes, no problems. Did some exploring, then flagged down a cab to go back to my hotel.

I speak no Mandarin, and the taxi driver had no English - but I was all prepared with a Chinese character map, with the hotel circled. With some pointing and lots of smiles, off we went.

...........well, to say we got lost was an understatement!!! Up this street, down another. Up several one way streets - yikes!! High rise buildings to shanty shacks - I think I saw most of Beijing.

After an hour and forty minutes 'touring' I was delivered safely to my hotel :eek:

Rather than being scared - I'm a solo female - it was all so funny. The driver just kept laughing, and all I could do was laugh along with him :D

.........and the cost of this magical mystery tour? £3.90 :eek:

When I tried to give him extra he was insistent on giving me change! With much laughing and gestures I did persuade him to accept a very modest tip.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit Beijing again - an amazing place, and I met nothing but kindness. Check out the underground if you go - spotless, very efficient and even cheaper than the taxis! :D

Darcy15, What a great report! It's so nice to get GOOD news sometimes. It is good to be forewarned about rip-offs, but a pleasant surprise to hear about decent, honest folks. Thanks!

We did this route last year, but in reverse, from Springhill to pier. While the fare was honest (less than $10), the driver got lost ON THE PIER!! He could not find the place to drop us off. I finally told him to stop and we got out and walked about 100 yards into the facility and found the enterance.

DaveOKC

Archived