Leaving luggage only

Karysa

Not sure if this is a question for the cruiseline the ship or the port so any information that your experience can provide will be most helpful. We will be in St. Maarten for the last full day of a cruise and I wondered if it would be possible to take a suitcase off the ship, leave it in St. Maarten and board as normally before sailing off to San Juan. Since we have places to leave it for the night it would save us from having to check it for our flight to St. Maarten the next day. Thanks.:)

Sounds like something that could require advance approval. I would go thru the cruise line. They would probably have to clear it with St. Maarten

Why would I need to check with the port? I keep running this over in my head and I can't figure that one out. If I walked off loaded in jewelery with $5000.00 in my pocket no one would say anything and I can leave those things on the island quite easily. I could take a couple of "gym" bags off a couple of times during the day and no one would say anything. Perhaps the luggage will need to be scanned so that is where I personally think my issue will be. But is that a ship, cruiseline or port issue?

I have been to St. Maarten many times and I have never been asked at the port or at the airport if I left anything behind on the island. We almost had to have DD fly home from St. Maarten on a recent cruise and the cruiseline stated that it was the port authority that would make that decision. I was told that she would need have proper ID and a plane ticket home. That I can see but a piece of luggage is a whole lot different than a person.

I would rather here from someone with experience then to call the cruiseline right away as I would like to avoid the run-around if possible. Thanks.:)

What hasn't been mentioned is that after getting off the ship there will be a Customs Check Point at the St. Maarten's piers to go through. Though generally this is a very easy process, the St. Maarten's Custom Agents do stop anyone that is carrying off anything larger than a day travel bag. Chances are you will be stopped and inspected by customs . It's really not as simple as just walking off the ship with the bag. So best to check with the proper authorities before doing so to avoid any problems.

When the ship is cleared go down without your luggage and ask the port officials if this is a problem

If not go back for the bags & take them ashore as planned

You could also ask the purser on the ship ..they may be able to have you see a customs officer before disembarking for the day

They may want to see your airline e-ticket that you will be returning via air to the island

Archived