Trying to plan a Med. cruise and am overwhelmed!

CherylCT

Hi there: There are sooo many options, that I'm a little overwhelmed. I would like to have our itinerary definitely include Italy as the majority of ports and maybe Greece? I've looked at a few different cruiselines but can't really settle on any one just yet. Do any include airfare? excursions? How about Pre-post hotels? Are there any particular cruiselines that do Europe "better" than others? Any suggestions, advice, tips are most appreciated. We don't want to spend a fortune but it doesn't necessarily need to be very low budget either.

Generally, air, excursions, pre & post hotels are not included in the advertised fares. River cruises often include most excursions in the fare.

We have been on several Princess cruises in the Med and loved them. We did b2b2b in the easter Med last October. It was wonderful.

If you want to see Rome then you need to have a cruise that starts in Rome and spend at least three nights in Rome before the cruise.

The Rome port is a long ways from Rome. Also, transportation from the Rome airport to Rome and then the ship will be expenses.

If you only want to spend a few hours in Rome then you can take a cruise with Rome as a port stop and take the train to Rome for the day.

Some cruise lines will advertise free air or low cost upgrades to business. At least one of the luxury lines does include free tours on a space available basis. A couple also offer totally all inclusive including drinks. The thing is you are still paying for this but it's just buried in a higher base price. If you don't drink why pay for all inclusive drinks?

With the exception of those lines based in Europe (P&O, Costa etc) many of the mainstream lines have cut their capacity in Europe this year due to poor demand for the product from North American cruisers who make up over 70% of all clientel. I recommend booking earlier than later to get what you want.

Just about any of the cruise lines will offer you something. It looks like you want a cruise based upon ports to visit as opposed to the ship itself. Just pick an itinerary that you like and book it.

As I'm sure you have read on here we just about all have a cruise line of preference based upon individual likes and needs. What works well for the DW and I might not be your cup of tea. A good face to face with a reputable TA is always a good place to start. Expect lots of questions to be asked of you because any good TA will try to make the best match for you and to do so the more they know about you the better they can determine a fit. No good agent is going to put you someplace you don't belong. A 70 year old couple does not belong on a Carnival ship during unniversity spring break in the Caribbean but Carnival might be the right line based on price or other things at another time of year.

Good luck and keep asking questions. No doubt someone on here will have allready seen that and done it so can offer first hand advice.

Most cruise lines will offer a pre- and post- cruise hotel deal as well as air arrangements and transfers to and from the ship. You need to settle on a couple of cruise lines that do an itinerary you are interested in your price range and talk with a rep. or find a good travel agent who will do the looking and conversing with the cruise line for you.

Once you choose the cruise you want, check with the line about "their" air. We are going in Oct and the cruise line air is little more than half what the best airfare I could do on my own would have been, plus....their's includes transfers.

Thanks for all the great responses. I see that people still use travel agents on here. I can't remember the last time I used one and don't know if I really like the idea. I don't like the idea of having to get my questions answered through them and wait for the replies.:) Is it advantageous, however, to do so?

Marco, may I ask what cruiseline you are going on?

Thanks for all the great responses. I see that people still use travel agents on here. I can't remember the last time I used one and don't know if I really like the idea. I don't like the idea of having to get my questions answered through them and wait for the replies.:) Is it advantageous, however, to do so?

Marco, may I ask what cruiseline you are going on?

A TA can provide several benefits.

- Fare discounts or perks like On Board Credit, free insurance or others. Note that some lines prohibit discounting their fares.

- Use their influence to help resolve a problem with the cruise line.

- Make suggestions.

I have taken over 30 cruises and never have I had to wait around for a TA to call the cruise line.

I have used the same one for years. She knows our preferences, my cruise line of choice and the only cabin that we will stay in on each of the ships we have or will cruise on. All I need tell her is where and when. She fights any battles with the cruise line and doesn't have to deal with the average rep on the other end of the phone. She has her own number to call. If she can't get us exactly what we want she comes back with alternatives. She has got me a cabin when the web site said they were all sold out. Although she deals in other kinds of travel as well the cruise business is 90% of what she does, has done so for years and knows the business inside and out. I use her only for our cruises. I do air, I book the AIs that we go to and I do pre and post hotels unless it's really and exotic place to deal with such as our cruise to Aisa. It boils down to personal choice and who you want to do do the bull work.

Hi there: There are sooo many options, that I'm a little overwhelmed. I would like to have our itinerary definitely include Italy as the majority of ports and maybe Greece? I've looked at a few different cruiselines but can't really settle on any one just yet. Do any include airfare? excursions? How about Pre-post hotels? Are there any particular cruiselines that do Europe "better" than others? Any suggestions, advice, tips are most appreciated. We don't want to spend a fortune but it doesn't necessarily need to be very low budget either.

I cruised the Eastern Med in 2009 - left Venice and then mainly went to Greek Isles, Turkey and Croatia. Not sure if that covers Italy and Greece for you or if you want Athens/Rome. My friend has done the 12 night cruise from Rome/Venice to Barcelona and has been able to hit most of Italy (Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice) and Greece (Athens and 2 islands).

I used Royal Caribbean and she has used Celebrity twice and neither one of us has had any issues.

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what it is you are wanting to see/place to visit and then start from there. Do you want Eastern Med, Western Med, Adriatic area, etc.

In the Med, most cruises are port intensive, you are off the ship most of the day. therefore, the itinerary is more important than the ship/line. You need to decide on the ports you want to visit, then find a ship or two that visit most of them. Try http://www.cruisetimetables.com. Choose either the port you want to leave from from the first list, or ports that you want to visit from the second list. then it will ask you to choose the time you want to cruise. It will then tell you what ships are calling there, and their complete itineraries. EM

Maybe head to the library and pick up a couple of travel guides (Frommer's, Fodor's, Rick Steves) to determine just where in Europe you want to go and what you want to see. This is also a very good website, with lots of info.

http://europeforvisitors.com/

Once you know what has your interest, I usually start a graph chart with the cruiselines across the top, and my points of interest (cabin, ship size, itinerary, ports, excursions, cost, etc) down the side. As you research the cruises, put an "X" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research, one should have more "Xs" than the others. That would be your cruise.

I haven't used a TA since 1998, with all the info on the internet and the cruiselines own websites, I just don't feel it's necessary. There is even a ports section at the top of this website.

We did Princess Grand Med (Civitavecchia [Rome port] to Monte Carlo to Livorno [Florence & Pisa], Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi Turkey, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu and ending in Venice. We did round trip air from Los Angeles to Paris (1 quick day), then Air France Paris to Rome (3 nights pre-cruise) and (3 nights post-cruise) Venice back to Paris

for 2 final days before flying home. We were gone 21 total days. If I'm going to fly for 15 hours each way, you can bet I'm going to make the most of the tip over the pond.

And once you have booked your cruise, be sure to join your roll call, it does save lots of money to have a group for transfers from hotel to cruise port, and for various excursions while on the cruise. Have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

I just cruised with NCL on the Spirit which hit Venice, Athens, Mykonos, Istanbul, Naples (Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri), Florence, Pisa, Toulon and Barcelona. It was a great itinerary at a great price. Celebrity also offers a similar Italy-heavy itinerary that cost a bit more. One word of caution though, when I tried to book a pre-cruise hotel through the cruise line it was not only expensive but the cost was PER PERSON and not per room. I find it cheaper to book hotels and transfers myself. And I also prefer to book my own airfare, not because it's cheaper, but because I want to pick my own flight itinerary instead of being stuck with whatever flights they give me.

If you want to see Rome then you need to have a cruise that starts in Rome and spend at least three nights in Rome before the cruise.

The Rome port is a long ways from Rome. Also, transportation from the Rome airport to Rome and then the ship will be expenses.

If you only want to spend a few hours in Rome then you can take a cruise with Rome as a port stop and take the train to Rome for the day.

i agree with that. Oceania would be my preference for a cruise line. Thet do advertise that airfare is included and since you might leave from one port and return from another, that could be the cheapest way to fly.

A good travel agent could be of help with your planning.

Definitely book the hotel and air fare separate if you can. I would also look into bidding for a hotel on priceline as you can get some nice deals that way. I won the Hilton in Venice for $125 a night. It was a fantastic bargain.

Cheryl,

Maybe the following may be of help to you...

Do your research as to prices, what you want to see and do, airfare and how much time you have.

When you feel reasonably comfortable, go see a TA. Even though I am a very experienced traveler, I use a TA. Why? Situations can arise when traveling and especially travel by cruise ship when you will need assistance from a travel professional. For example, though infrequently ships do not arrive in ports as scheduled. This requires passengers to change their own flight arrangements and this can be very, very difficult if you are at sea. Having a TA makes this a much less difficult task. And please remember many of the people on Cruise Critic have been on many cruises and can do the entire process based on experience (which you don't have).

Further, a really good TA will be a source of information for you. How do you go from the airport to your hotel, for example in Buenos Aires? You can research this but talking with someone who has visited these places is much better.

And a couple of suggestions for you....Celebrity and Princess are two cruise lines you should consider, as both have nice ships and itineraries in the Med. A good way to save money is a Transatlantic. And an excellent cruise port to leave from and return is Barcelona.

In closing do not feel overwhelmed or that all of the planning is your responsibilty. Get the others involved, including the guy on the couch in front of the tv.

I chose my med cruise based on ports. I can cruise relatively cheaply from my hometown, but, if I'm going to spend double the price of the cruise for transatlantic airfare, I'd better see something good!

Get a cruise port guide book. Rick Steves has a great one, so does Fodor's, and figure out what part of the med has the ports you most want to see. The broader the area, the longer the cruise. Once you have the general geography figured out, either do an online search and list the possibilities, or call a ta and have him/her do the work for you!

Go on a major cruise line (we have done the Mediterranean on Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Cunard, Crystal and NCL. All of them offer very good products.

Going in and our of Barcelona is very easy and less expensive in land transportation, compared to Rome for example. Athens is also easy.

Just pick a itinerary you like, you can't go wrong anywhere in the Mediterranean. Assume you will go back again, you can't do it all.

Research ports on your own before you go, many you can do on your own. Pace yourself... don't try to see everything.

Since you already said you are interested mainly in Italy and Greece, I wouldn't look at a departure from Barcelona. You want to zero in on cruises that cover the Eastern not the Western Med. (Italy is more or less in the middle and tends to be included on both itineraries, but Greece is definitely East....)

I also would not advise a Transatlantic. Yes, they can be good deals price-wise, but you do not get to visit as many ports as you would on a cruise of an equal number of days that stays in the Med.

Definitely do some reading and try to narrow down to a few specific "must see" ports, then be flexible on the others -- you will have a broader range of choices that way. And so many times I've read reviews of posters who come back after their cruise and were completely excited about a port that they had little interest in before they left. The Mediterranean Ports of Call forums here on Cruise Critic offer great advice about specific ports and some general info.

In many cases you are better off arranging your own air and hotel. In a few cases, the cruise line may be able to offer you a better airfare deal, but be sure you understand the limitations associated with it (for example, they do not guarantee the ship will wait for you just because you book your air with the cruise line, which is a common misunderstanding...)

Some of the higher end luxury cruises offer all inclusive. On the front page of Cruise Critic (you can access it by clicking the Cruise Critic logo on the top left side of this page) there are articles galore for cruisers. Look at the headers on the top of the page, one of them was something like "choosing your cruise" or some such. I was just reading one yesterday and it was the top 10 luxury cruises and that's how I found out about those all inclusives you're looking for. But be prepared, the sticker shock can be misleading. Just remember what you're getting for the money as compared to other lines.

You've really received quite a bit of good advice here. I concur, that the itinerary is the most important. Write down the aspects of the trip that are most important to you. For example itinerary, price, # of days, date for travel, etc. Then put these in the order of most important to least important. Then start looking at all of the cruise offering and narrow down your choices accordingly. Once you have the specific cruise selected, then you can go deeper and research each port for excursions and pre or post cruise stays.

When I plan a big trip like this, especially to places I've never been, I find breaking down the process into stages really helps prevent me from feeling overwhelmed.

We did the Med for the first time last June. Started in Civitavecchia (Rome). We flew from Southeastern U.S. to Rome (FCO) airport. There were 5 of us so we had a driver service. We spent 3 days in Rome prior to the cruise (booked the hotel sight unseen from reviews on Tripadvisor and from others on this message forum). The same service picked us up at our hotel, took us to the port to board the ship. When the ship disembarked, we had arranged for the same driver service to pick us up. We spent one last day and night in Rome and AGAIN, same service picked us up at teh hotel and took us to the airport. BEST money we spent on this cruise. Many will give a discount if you book multiple trips like this. There were 5 of us. You can share the car and fare by finding others on the boards (for us it would be Meet and Mingle RCCL message board). Our itinerary included Turkey (Kusadasi), which was FABULOUS, Crete (loved it), Greece (wonderful) and Naples (we went to Taormina, which we loved) and it was the best trip of our life. We're busy planning another one for next summer..back to Rome that includes Spain and France. We can't wait.

Archived