Stateroom Codes Explained Please

Would someone please explain the stateroom category codes to me please?

D1, D2, etc. All these codes and can't seem to find any explanation as to what the differences are.

I'm not sure of the ship you are asking about, but looking at your signature, it seems that Legend is your next cruise. If so, here's a link to Legend's stateroom desciptions:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/home.do?br=R&shipCode=LG&shipName=Legend+Of+The+Seas

In general, the only basic physical difference within the "D" categories is deck and ship location. (There are also passenger capacity differences allowing between 2 - 4 per stateroom - but this can be with all "D's").

On the Oasis class ships, all D1's are located on the forward hump and have larger balconies than the remaining D staterooms - and typically are priced higher as a result.

On Legend the D1's are aft facing and should have a larger balcony as well based on this location.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

D1, D2, etc. All these codes and can't seem to find any explanation as to what the differences are.

I agree it is impossible for me to figure out. I wish there was a link for each ship that explained it.

Bob--I followed your link to the rooms on Legend. But, that did not tell the difference between the different letters.

All D cabins are the same size on each ship, except for the aft facing deck 10 D's on Voyager class which are longer, thus larger. All E cabins are the same size. D's have a full couch and E's have only a loveseat. Sizes of D and E cabins do vary between ships. The older ships have smaller sq. footage. Oasis/Allure D's are a bit smaller than say Freedom class D's.

I agree it is impossible for me to figure out. I wish there was a link for each ship that explained it.

Bob--I followed your link to the rooms on Legend. But, that did not tell the difference between the different letters.

Here's a link to the deck plans of Legend:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=LG

This shows the different decriptions of each letter. However, it won't show the difference between the last number, say a D1 and a D2.

Lower # = higher cat.:confused: Example D1 is higher then D8:cool:

Funny, my post did not mention a # , it only said cat.. So, my post stands as written, the higher class d cat has a more central location on the ship:cool::cool:

There is no difference within stateroom categories of the same letter description based on the number that follows the letter. (In this example D1, D2, etc.) They are all the same stateroom. The only distinction (aside from individual room passenger capacity) is deck and ship location - and an associated price difference determined by RCI based on that.

An analogy would be with airline seats where based on location (primarily), the same basic seat would have a different price. IMO it is a way that the cruise lines use to attract early deposits and skew the revenue across similar rooms. Kind of a supply and demand thing in that the lower priced rooms may sell out first, as may the higher priced, but preferred location staterooms.

The only other difference that also relates to price is that certain locations - such as some hump and aft facing - will frequently have larger balconies and greater room volume. This is particularly true with aft facing locations.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Here's a link to the deck plans of Legend:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=LG

This shows the different decriptions of each letter. However, it won't show the difference between the last number, say a D1 and a D2.

Yes, I have seen these deck plans. What I can not tell is what is the difference between [using the deck plan you linked to] an outside that is a an I or G or an inside that is an M, N or Q.

Knowing that one room had a loveseat vs only a chair would make a difference to us. I have tried to do dummy bookings and clicked on he different letters to see how the description changes. But, it does not change--only the price. I know that different locations are different prices. But these cabins are side by side. Also, I can see the G1 is either a connecting room or has greater capacity. [except there are 2 accessible cabins that are neither:confused:].

I agree there should be some listing of the differences so consumers can make an informed choice.

Yes, I have seen these deck plans. What I can not tell is what is the difference between [using the deck plan you linked to] an outside that is a an I or G or an inside that is an M, N or Q.

Knowing that one room had a loveseat vs only a chair would make a difference to us. I have tried to do dummy bookings and clicked on he different letters to see how the description changes. But, it does not change--only the price. I know that different locations are different prices. But these cabins are side by side. Also, I can see the G1 is either a connecting room or has greater capacity. [except there are 2 accessible cabins that are neither:confused:].

I agree there should be some listing of the differences so consumers can make an informed choice.

I have not seen a Royal document or web page with the level of specificity you would like.

I have not seen a Royal document or web page with the level of specificity you would like.

I agree. It seems this document would be a big help. I ask myself why they label these rooms differently if there is no way to tell what the difference is? :p

I am not trying to be annoying--just curious. When I book a cabin I try to make the best decision possible. . . and then I am happy that I will be aboard a ship.:D

I agree. It seems this document would be a big help. I ask myself why they label these rooms differently if there is no way to tell what the difference is? :p

I am not trying to be annoying--just curious. When I book a cabin I try to make the best decision possible. . . and then I am happy that I will be aboard a ship.:D

My guess is that Royal does not want to get pinned down to furnishing the stateroom to that level of detail.

There is no difference within stateroom categories of the same letter description based on the number that follows the letter. (In this example D1, D2, etc.) They are all the same stateroom. The only distinction (aside from individual room passenger capacity) is deck and ship location - and an associated price difference determined by RCI based on that.

I'm not sure that statement is correct. I believe I read somewhere that D1's have a full sofa and D2's only have a love seat. Maybe someone knows for sure--I surely don't trust my memory all that much these days:rolleyes:

My guess is that Royal does not want to get pinned down to furnishing the stateroom to that level of detail.

I can see that--but, then the question is why have a different category?

I'm not sure that statement is correct. I believe I read somewhere that D1's have a full sofa and D2's only have a love seat. Maybe someone knows for sure--I surely don't trust my memory all that much these days:rolleyes:

I just think it is interesting that people purchase cabins based on perceived additional value without really knowing what it is.

I have frequently seen someone bragging about getting upgrade to a D1 vs a D3. Outside of location [which I can easily see] I assume there is no difference. Then I am not disappointed. :)

I can see that--but, then the question is why have a different category?

Maybe Royal has reasons for the different categories that are important to them, and that they choose to keep to themselves?

ignoring suites and other special cabin categories (eg PR), the general rule seems to be that the farther down the alphabet you go, and within a category the higher the number, the less desirable RCI thinks the cabin to be.

There are many things that can determine the desirability- location, connecting, ability to accept more than two people, size, size of balcony, etc.

• 5 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2013 at 11:25 AM, truffles2 said:

Typically, connecting staterooms have a love seat (in order to accommodate the connecting door), and non-connecting staterooms have a sofa. As for physical size, all cabins with the same letter have the same internal square footage - the number that accompanies the letter is determined by location - the higher the number, the further away the cabin is from what the cruise line feels are the most popular/convenient locations. I.e. A balcony all the way aft that requires a long walk just to get to the closest elevator would be less desirable than one closer to the elevator.