How much more would you pay for AQ?

NovCruisin

DH and I booked AQ a couple months ago. Last week my mother decided to join us but could only afford a 2B (she will be going solo). I was not aware until today (from all the great cruise critic help!) that you could not invite non-AQ people to eat in Blu.

We obviously have to go one way or the other...DH and I either need to downgrade (it would not be worth paying for AQ but not be able to use the amenities because we can't leave my solo mother with no one to eat with)...or...we could pay to upgrade my mother.

Would you pay $400 more for AQ?

DH and I booked AQ a couple months ago. Last week my mother decided to join us but could only afford a 2B (she will be going solo). I was not aware until today (from all the great cruise critic help!) that you could not invite non-AQ people to eat in Blu.

We obviously have to go one way or the other...DH and I either need to downgrade (it would not be worth paying for AQ but not be able to use the amenities because we can't leave my solo mother with no one to eat with)...or...we could pay to upgrade my mother.

Are you sure it is 400.00? I am asking because I always sail solo and

if that is 400.00 per person it would double for your mom which would

mean 800.00 for your mom:eek:......I might spend the 400 but would

not spend 800....but that is just me and even 400.00 is alot of

money (to me).

I meant to add, if it is 200.00 per person then it would be 400.00

for your mom.

I had an AQ cabin for my most recent cruise in Apirl...it was a birthday

gift from me to me. It was more than I normally ever spend on a cabin.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't pay as much for it again. I ate with folks

from my roll call most of the time who also ate in Blu.

Are you sure it is 400.00? I am asking because I always sail solo and

if that is 400.00 per person it would double for your mom which would

mean 800.00 for your mom:eek:......I might spend the 400 but would

not spend 800....but that is just me and even 400.00 is alot of

money (to me).

Yes, it is $400 more for her as a solo to upgrade to AQ.

We found the dining experience in Aqua class to be just fantastic ... But I wouldn't pay $400 extra for it. No way. For $400 you could eat in specialty dining every night, and you could also,pay for a few Persian Garden visits and still have money left over.

But you'll have to decide how much it is worth to you. If you're planning to take advantage of all of the amenities then it may be worth while.

Edit: just saw your clarification. If it's just $400 for your mom only then I may do it. I'd pay $400 for my mom - but not an extra $1200 for all of us.

It depends on the length of the cruise and class of ship. I think it is worth about $30 per day, others may think $40. There are many more perks than Blu, Persain gardens and balcony furniture on the S class is worth a few extra dollars, along with the shower panel.

It all depends on how you value spending time with her. If you downgrade how much will you save and will you be happy?

If you really want the experience of being in AQ does that extra really become too much to have her also enjoy it with you? It could be the difference between a nice cruise or a fantastic unforgettable memory that may never happen again

I would downgrade to a cheaper cabin, forego Aqua for this cruise, and use the money to treat your mother to a couple nice dinners in a specialty restaurant. While on board, book another cruise for yourself in Aqua.

This is exactly the idea I was leaning towards :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

This is exactly the idea I was leaning towards :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

I agree that this is best. Personally I don't think it's worth much at all--just not a big fan.

Check out the 1B cabins (assuming you are on S class, can't remember). They are in a great midship location on the flat part of the 'hump', so convenient to everything. See what kind of a deal you can get. OR, get a 1A with the extra large balcony so the three of you can enjoy it together.

There was recently a fantastic price reduction for Aqua class 2 on the Eclipse sailing April 19 ,2014 Ft Lauderdale to Southampton ;):D.We upgraded from a 2A to Aqua for only $300 more & it seems to be well worth the upgrade:D

I would only pay $$$ more for what I preceived as value worth the $$$ spent or better. WE all do that, so the amount $more will tend to be in a range depending on what you $value more.

Many tout Blu, but not sure I would pay an additional $20-$30/day per person for a couple of reasons: First I am not convinced Blu is that great based on the amount of tables and how close many tables for 2 are together. I like space when I am eating. Secondly, I like to go to other restaurants/other dining options and thus for example, if I purchased the 3 Speciality restaurant package, I now would divide the Daily cost of AQ over 4 days vs 7 days. At least that is how I see the value proposition. And for sure there are some other features/benefits to AQ, so it may not be as clear cut as I just indicated.

I do like choices and like Celebrity working to come up with options for us. Just not into AQ category yet. :)

We ended up downgrading to a 2A (saved DH and I $360) and upgraded my mother to a 2A (from a 2B..it was only $40). Now we are right next door to each other :) We will save AQ for a later time when its just us two!

We ended up downgrading to a 2A (saved DH and I $360) and upgraded my mother to a 2A (from a 2B..it was only $40). Now we are right next door to each other :) We will save AQ for a later time when its just us two!

Hi:) sounds like everything will work out just fine and you can

try a couple of the specialty restaurants with Mom too:)

I hope the 3 of you have a great cruise:D

IMO, AQ is worth no more than than one would be willing to pay to eat at BLU.

The ultimate dining plan costs $29pp per day

Murano, IMO is better than BLU.

Plus, the plan includes two spec restaurant lunches, unlimited access to Bistro on 5 and a Champagne high tea

So for a 7 night jaunt, $203 buys one a whole lot of dining. As an added plus, it also allows one to bypass the buffet with options besides the MDR.

Archived