Will a Tablet computer fit in a Princess Room Safe ?

andyc567

Hi All,

Off on Caribbean Princess soon and can't decide whether to take our Tablet Computer ?

Does anyone know if a 10 x 8 inch (26 x 19 cm) Tablet computer will fit in a Princess room safe ?

I am guessing the safes used across the fleet will vary, but an indication would be useful ?

Also, has anyone found a tablet useful while cruising ?

I am guessing WIFI Internet is very expensive on board, so would only really be using it "Offline" if we took it..

Any help would be really appreciated.

I've brought a laptop, notebook, or tablet on every cruise for years and never put it in the safe. I either leave it out or put it in a drawer. Now that I have the iPad Mini, I carry it everywhere with me as I use the Kindle app to read books.

Just looked up the iPad dimensions and they are very similar to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1")..

So, it sounds promising..

The reason I ask is that I heard that someone on costa Magica that I was on last Oct lost a small digital camera from his cabin..

Fancy taking it, but don't want to cart it around, leave in safe is best option..

WIFI is expensive, anyone know how much ?

Thanks again..

Just looked up the iPad dimensions and they are very similar to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1")..

The reason I ask is that I heard that someone on costa Magica that I was on last Oct lost a small digital camera from his cabin..

Fancy taking it, but don't want to cart it around, leave in safe is best option..

Thanks again..

Yes you should be fine . I always charge my iPad/iPhone / Camera at night so its ready for the next morning. I dont like leaving things out of the safe. If you have it stolen in many cases your insurance is not valid unless it was in a safe.

Thanks again..

Out of all my years on CC and dozens of cruises, I don't remember any more than perhaps a handful of people reporting something stolen from their cabin. People have accidentally left cameras, phones, etc. someplace but a theft is rare.

There's an app called "Find My Phone" that works on both iPhones and iPads. I assume there's a similar app for the Samsung. I can use either my iPhone or iPad to find the other. :) If either were stolen, the person would be nailed.

Here's a link to where you can pre-purchase an Internet package. You get bonus minutes by pre-purchasing. The Internet is never guaranteed and it's extremely slow compared to what we're all used to at home. If you Skype or upload/download photos (or someone else does), the Internet will slow to a crawl or disconnect.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

We took an iPad and an ASUS TF700T on our last cruise. We didn't lock them up and never considered that we might need to do so. I'd guess that ONE of them would have fit in the safe but sincerely doubt that both would have fit at the same time.

I can take a truckload of books on my tablet. My wife used her iPad in the same manner - as an eReader. We had no interest in paying for expensive - and slow - Internet access while onboard. If I needed email I could have gotten it on my phone - again, very expensive. Since the phone was turned OFF and stuck in a drawer except when on shore in Hawaii it really didn't matter.

When cruising we are on vacation. Whatever the rest of the world is doing can just wait. :D

We were on the Caribbean Princess in March and the IPAD barely fit in the safe angling it. After putting our wallets, etc in the safe, the IPAD did not fit. I have been on other Princess ships and never had a problem putting the IPAD in the safe. However, I think the safes on the Caribbean Princess are smaller. I ended up just leaving it in a drawer and never had a problem.

Joanne

I leave all my electronics on the desk (often charging), but if the OP feels more comfortable keeping a tablet in the safe then that's OK. I'm not sure if your cabin's safe will be large enough though, since most seem to be pretty small.

Out of all my years on CC and dozens of cruises, I don't remember any more than perhaps a handful of people reporting something stolen from their cabin. People have accidentally left cameras, phones, etc. someplace but a theft is rare.

There's an app called "Find My Phone" that works on both iPhones and iPads. I assume there's a similar app for the Samsung. I can use either my iPhone or iPad to find the other. :) If either were stolen, the person would be nailed.

Here's a link to where you can pre-purchase an Internet package. You get bonus minutes by pre-purchasing. The Internet is never guaranteed and it's extremely slow compared to what we're all used to at home. If you Skype or upload/download photos (or someone else does), the Internet will slow to a crawl or disconnect.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

The problem with "Find My Phone" as currently marketed is most thieves immediately wipe the stolen iPhone or iPad restoring it to fresh out of the box state. Nor does it work if the device is off, in airplane mode, etc.

Apple did not market it to find stolen phones but to find lost phones.

Vinnie

Hi All,

Off on Caribbean Princess soon and can't decide whether to take our Tablet Computer ?

Does anyone know if a 10 x 8 inch (26 x 19 cm) Tablet computer will fit in a Princess room safe ?

I am guessing the safes used across the fleet will vary, but an indication would be useful ?

I am guessing WIFI Internet is very expensive on board, so would only really be using it "Offline" if we took it..

On the Caribbean Princess my iPad with the standard apple case that fits around the iPad did NOT fit in our safe.

You must be joking or never cruised or are paranoid? we leave our ipad,small amounts of cash,etc out on our desk.The only thing I ever put in safe is passport,credit cards,large amounts of cash,jewellery.Only one in our room is our room steward.What does he want with you computer...Jeeez!

I never lock any electronics or cameras in the safe and never had a problem. Got to tell you a story about how honest the crew is. In port, I used my debit card and shoved it in the pocket of my shorts. Next day, I sent a big bag of laundry out. I didn't know the debit card was in my pocket-I completely forgot. Well when the laundry was returned, the debit card was taped to the hangers!!!! Now this was handled by the cabin steward, the laundry sorters, the ironers and back to the cabin steward. It was really amazing. I wrote a very nice letter to Princess HQ and the steward got a nice extra tip!

The iPad fits great on the Sapphire and her sister' date=' the Diamond.

Take it for sure! If it doesn't fit, no one will bother it. I put mine in my backpack or in a desk drawer. No problems.

[/quote']

My iPad didn't fit in the safe on the Golden. . .we had a lot of stuff. DH and I left our tablets out and they were not bothered at all. Can't say that would be everyone's experience. . .but I've carried tablets on the last few cruises and they've been just fine on the desk charging when I was out.

I leave my laptop on the desk all the time. My tablet fits the safe but I leave it in a

drawer. The only thing I put in the safe are jewery, passports and creditcards and whatever

cash I might have.

Over 40 cruises, have never had a problem.

Greg

Hi All,

I take my I Pad for two reasons. First I use it for emails and second I use my clock app with the I Pad propped up on the desk so I can see the time at night. As someone said you can put it in a drawer as I have done under some clothes. Never tried it in the safe.

Tom:)

Archived