why the fuss over clothes?

ozarkmama

Just a curious question here, not meaning to stir the pot or offend anybody.

Why all the fuss and worry over what to wear on vacation? When I vacation, I am all about comfort; shorts, t-shirts, swimsuit, sandals. I certainly don't care if I am a fashion plate and I could care less what anybody else thinks of what I wear. I will pack a couple of sundresses and a pair of slacks so that I can eat in the MDR, but formal clothing? No way, my DH is dressed up if he puts on a pair of casual slacks and a shirt with a collar instead of jeans and a t-shirt.

I'm just curious about the mindset here. ;)

Isn't that true of being on land. Some people enjoy getting dressed up and others just want to walk around in whatever. Everyone has different things that they enjoy. For some it is getting dressed up.

This might seem unusual for a male in this day and age but I like getting dressed up when we cruise in the evening and my wife feels the same way.

Keith

Isn't that true of being on land. Some people enjoy getting dressed up and others just want to walk around in whatever. Everyone has different things that they enjoy. For some it is getting dressed up.

This might seem unusual for a male in this day and age but I like getting dressed up when we cruise in the evening and my wife feels the same way.

Keith

Thanks for the reply. I hope I didn't sound critical or step on any toes. I am just curious as to all the posts about finding the perfect dress/shoes/outfit/whatever.....It seems to be a hot topic. :)

As an archaeologist, I wear jeans and t-shirts every day, so I enjoy "being a girl" and dressing up for formal nights. On casual nights, I'm in floor-length fancy sundresses and looking my best, too. If someone doesn't want to do that, it doesn't bother me any, but I certainly enjoy it.

Thanks for the reply. I hope I didn't sound critical or step on any toes. I am just curious as to all the posts about finding the perfect dress/shoes/outfit/whatever.....It seems to be a hot topic. :)

Well....this IS the fashion board; what else would we talk about? ;)

Seriously, though, it is fun for a lot of us who enjoy clothes to plan what we will take. It's just part of the anticipation.

As I try to pack lighter, it is also a personal challenge to find items that travel well, look good, go with other things I already have, and are comfortable and fun to wear.

Why all the fuss and worry over what to wear on vacation? When I vacation, I am all about comfort; shorts, t-shirts, swimsuit, sandals. I certainly don't care if I am a fashion plate and I could care less what anybody else thinks of what I wear. I will pack a couple of sundresses and a pair of slacks so that I can eat in the MDR, but formal clothing? No way, my DH is dressed up if he puts on a pair of casual slacks and a shirt with a collar instead of jeans and a t-shirt.

As long as your attire is consistent with the venue you are dining or the cruise line you choose, that fine. Where the rub comes is when someone wants to eat in a venue that is formal on a particular night but doesn't want to follow the attire guidelines. That detracts from the experience of others.

Like Laurie S. many of us dress differently on cruises than we have the opportunity to do at home. When I was teaching I always was able to wear casual clothes. My lifestyle does not include balls, fancy openings and the like so getting "dressed up" on a cruise is my only opportunity to feel more elegant. Getting the right clothes and accessories (to please me) for a cruise makes me feel good and as cruisemom42 says, is part of the anticipation.

Some people like getting dressed up, some like being casual. We are all different which makes life interesting.

For me, it's not just about what I choose to wear while on vacation. I think that fashion is about self-expression, identity, and the confidence to express a little about who you are. I recognize that not everyone believes what they wear is important, and that's ok. It is of interest to me though, and i like to plan what i wear when i go out at home and what i will wear on a trip. Different strokes for different folks.

I love posting on the fashion boards and discussing clothes for many reasons. I work in janitorial sales (not a glamorous job, but I love it), and most of the people I work with are men. If I even tried to talk about fashion with those guys, they would run for the hills. My female friends and family members all dress for "comfort" (aka baggy, shapeless clothes or clothes from the 1980's), so they are out too. I love fashion, but have no one to talk about it with outside of the fashion boards.

We don't just talk about what we are bringing and if something is appropriate. We also discuss makeup that covers varicose veins, alteration advice, nail art, and tons of other stuff. We also have a great recycle your dress stickie going on. I find the men and women on the fashion boards a lot less judgmental than posters on some of the other boards, so it's more accepting over in fashion-world. :D

Lisa

As long as your attire is consistent with the venue you are dining or the cruise line you choose, that fine. Where the rub comes is when someone wants to eat in a venue that is formal on a particular night but doesn't want to follow the attire guidelines. That detracts from the experience of others.

We will not pack formal clothes, but we will utilize the other dining options on formal night. ;)

I think that fashion is about self-expression, identity, and the confidence to express a little about who you are. I recognize that not everyone believes what they wear is important, and that's ok.

I think that's true for everyone, including those who don't pay too much attention to the appearance of what they're wearing. I don't think there's anyone who thinks that what they wear isn't important, just that some think the comfort (or the utility, or the value) is the important part, not the appearance or whether it's in fashion. No one wears clothing by accident, so everyone cares about what they wear.......but that doesn't mean that everyone cares about the appearance of what they wear. Even those who choose clothes without caring about the appearance still have clothes that express a lot about themselves.

I just like to dressup....my day to day life does not allow me to wear my "good stuff" Normally the only times I get to dressup are for funerals and weddings.....and most weddings in my neck of the woods are about as fun as a funeral. :rolleyes:

I find the men and women on the fashion boards a lot less judgmental than posters on some of the other boards, so it's more accepting over in fashion-world. :D

Lisa

That is so true! I love to come over here. People are helpful and supportive without getting nasty.

To the original poster, it is the "fashion forum" so people love to talk

about fashion;)

Not everyone dresses up but your question about "what about the fuss"?

It is not about any fuss.....many gals enjoy chatting about fashion,

shoes, jewelry, etc. And since this board is about that....there are

lots of discussions about it.

To be honest, it is MUCH friendlier than talking about dress codes

over the main boards:eek:.....the people on those forums can get

downright MEAN:rolleyes:.......

Most of us are friendly on here, whether we dress up or not:D

For me, it's not just about what I choose to wear while on vacation. I think that fashion is about self-expression, identity, and the confidence to express a little about who you are. I recognize that not everyone believes what they wear is important, and that's ok. It is of interest to me though, and i like to plan what i wear when i go out at home and what i will wear on a trip. Different strokes for different folks.

This is exactly how I feel. Thank you for saving me from typing!! I even plan my outfits for my casual life, since retiring. I missed getting dressed up!

I love being on a cruise because it is such a departure from my normal life....I get to live in clothes that I don't wear at home in my errand-running, baby chasing world. Bathing suits and cover-ups, pretty dresses, etc! Also, I get to try new combinations and explore new identities that I might bring back with me!

I love posting on the fashion boards and discussing clothes for many reasons. I work in janitorial sales (not a glamorous job, but I love it), and most of the people I work with are men. If I even tried to talk about fashion with those guys, they would run for the hills. My female friends and family members all dress for "comfort" (aka baggy, shapeless clothes or clothes from the 1980's), so they are out too. I love fashion, but have no one to talk about it with outside of the fashion boards.

Lisa

This is me - I work for a s/w company & work from home. We don't live in a neighborhood & I don't really have any gal pals. So this is a great place to discuss fashion.

My clothing choices are an expression of myself. I care how I look...I want to look good. I'm not obsessed or anything like that. but knowing that I look good makes me feel good, and just sets the tone for my day.

When it is formal night, I love evening dresses. Long ones, and nice shoes and jewelry. If it's casual and during the day, then I dress casually. But, I still take the time to think about what I wear and what it looks like.

I think we are all different, and that is what makes life interesting!

I wanted to add that my wife has what she calls her cruising clothes. I think many others do as well. From time to time she does wear some of the outfits on land but mainly at sea. For us, dressing in the evening is all part of the cruising experience.

Since this is a cruise fashion board there is always a good discussion about clothes as on the Photo Board there is a good discussion about cameras.

Keith

Although I like to be comfortable, that is not all that I think about when it comes to clothes.

We like to shower after a day of sightseeing and change into something nicer for dinner because it helps the evening feel special.

We enjoy getting dressed up for formal nights and seeing everyone else in their fancy clothes.

If people choose to dress down, I may think they look silly, but it doesn't have any impact on my enjoyment of the evening.

Because people are materialistic.

I don't have "cruise clothes", I only buy what I love and will wear at home. I just don't have the clothing budget or space for separate wardrobes.

For me it's not fuss, it's just every day living, I try to look my best no matter where I'm going, even a quick run to the grocery store. So, again for me, uncomfortable would be going out of the house in wrinkled clothing, no makeup, hair not done. When I go on a cruise, I consider it a luxury vacation. I'm not the type who packs 14 outfits for 7 days, but planned well a person can look good and feel good about themselves all the time. But that's me, the next person feels good about themselves just throwing on any old T shirt and pair of shorts.

Both my jobs I see people dressed in what I consider to be too casual (for me), I've learned that you definitely cannot tell a book by its cover and not to make any assumptions about anyone. Look them in the eye and talk to the person, lots of great people wear really casual clothing. The same thing goes for cruises. So go ahead and dress in the clothing that makes you feel good about yourself, it's really no one else's business.

Being retired I don't often "dress up" , mostly ware my jeans and tops at home, and for church I do ware nicer things , but other than that most people where I live are pretty casual. So when we go on a cruise it is kind of nice to dress up a bit in the evening and my husband does not mind putting on his suit and tie for formal evenings and he looks so nice in it. Not everyone enjoys that and that is fine. I don't judge people by how they dress.

Thank goodness we are all different or life would be pretty boring. So when you cruise you do what you like best and enjoy your vacation.

Cori

My husband and I just enjoy dressing for dinner....of course we live close to the ports so we do not have to worry about luggage fees.

Mainly, I love seeing my husband all dressed up in his Military Dress or his tuxedo...I just love walking in on his arm and showing him off!;):)

Archived