Preparing to travel - Wet Ones

Vict0riann

So, I'm starting to get organized for travel next month - bought a big box of Immodium, Strepsils, and some Wet Ones. There are two kinds and I bought both - one says Vitamin E and Aloe - Gently Cleans Skin (I think I'll leave those at home to clean the dog's feet!) and the other one says Antibacterial Hand & Face Wipes (not anti-viral, one can only hope!) and the active ingredient is Benzethonium Chloride. I also have a pack of some wipes I guess I got in the States (no French, that's how I know!) called nice'n Clean Antibacterial wipes and the active ingredient is Benzalkonium Chloride. All of them also have alcohol as a major ingredient. I'll keep some in my purse with me at all times, and try to keep us healthy as long as I can. I suppose I should check and see what the active ingredient is in HAL's Purell. We do always use it, especially after using the handrails on the staircases, but you have to wonder if it does much good. We stay away from the elevators - once you're in there with other people, it's so easy to be contaminated! (Or to contaminate, I guess!) We'll start our zinc soon, too. Anything I'm missing? :) Ann

So, I'm starting to get organized for travel next month - bought a big box of Immodium, Strepsils, and some Wet Ones. There are two kinds and I bought both - one says Vitamin E and Aloe - Gently Cleans Skin (I think I'll leave those at home to clean the dog's feet!) and the other one says Antibacterial Hand & Face Wipes (not anti-viral, one can only hope!) and the active ingredient is Benzethonium Chloride. I also have a pack of some wipes I guess I got in the States (no French, that's how I know!) called nice'n Clean Antibacterial wipes and the active ingredient is Benzalkonium Chloride. All of them also have alcohol as a major ingredient. I'll keep some in my purse with me at all times, and try to keep us healthy as long as I can. I suppose I should check and see what the active ingredient is in HAL's Purell. We do always use it, especially after using the handrails on the staircases, but you have to wonder if it does much good. We stay away from the elevators - once you're in there with other people, it's so easy to be contaminated! (Or to contaminate, I guess!) We'll start our zinc soon, too. Anything I'm missing? :) Ann

I believe the Benzethonium Chloride is the ticket!

I believe the Benzethonium Chloride is the ticket!

Looked it up and here's what I found (bolding mine):

"Benzethonium chloride exhibits a broad spectrum of microbiocidal activity against bacteria, fungi, mold and viruses. Independent testing shows that benzethonium chloride is highly effective against such pathogens as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella, Escherichia coli, Clostridium difficile, hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, herpes simplex virus (HSV), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and norovirus."

Dinner conversation on a recent Westerdam cruise. First cruiser, "what precautions do you take to avoid getting sick on trips?" Second cruiser " None! And we seldom get sick on a cruise." Third person, "Did you ever notice how those who do all these weird things like bringing wipes, using Purrell, wiping down their cabin, etc....are the ones who always get sick?"

Ok....so I may regret saying this...but after more then 3 years on tons of different cruises neither DW or I have ever had a serious GI problem on a cruise. We have both had our share of respiratory colds,....but most of these are spread by airborne bugs. So what is our secret of avoiding the GI stuff (like Noro). Probably luck. But, we do try to make our own luck by simply washing our hands, as often as possible, with soap and water. According to the CDC this is the most effective way to avoid the dreaded Noro.....and when I worked in hospital Emergency Rooms this was how the staff avoided catching all the nasty bugs.

Hank

P.S. And then there was the cruiser who lectured us about how to avoid the mal de mer (seasickness) by using seabands. The next night that lady got quite seasick in moderate seas.

Sounds like you're prepared! We always take a small package of wipes onboard and even though the rooms have just been cleaned we use them to wipe down the phone, the remote control, door and drawer knobs, and light switches--just in case. We also feel it is good to use the Purell going into the Lido and again once we have touched all the serving utensils while filling our plates and before eating. We've sailed once code red, but have not yet been sick ourselves.

The best precaution you can take is to wash your hands with soap and water as often as possible.

We always make it a point to wash our hands each time we return to the cabin.

Exactly.

IMO, the best think you can make sure you have and use often is a big bar of soap.

I do not depend upon HAL's tiny bar of melting fig stuff they now supply. :rolleyes: I now feel responsible to provide soap for ourselves seeing HAL no longer puts a decent bar of soap on the sinks in the cabins.

I brought so many wet ones, sanitizer, a whole jug of it. Never used it. We washed our hands diligently and avoided touching things when possible. (Elevator buttons pressed with our elbows or wrist, after getting food at the buffet taking turns going to the bathroom to wash our hands while the other watched our stuff).

Here in Australia there has been tonnes of stuff on increased allergic reactions, bacteria born illnesses, etc, especially amongst children. There is a belief that we sanitise our lives too much and we all should get out and 'play in the dirt' to build up immunities.

On our cruise in March I never wiped, swiped or avoided anything. Just took the basic precautions of washing hands well. Did use the Purell stations but that was more a courtesy for other people's concerns as I knew my hands were clean. Didn't come down with a thing.

Same in the office, everyone here is always using things to prevent colds, flu etc -I just eat well and maintain a good hygiene regime and haven't had a cold in over 3 years when everyone else around me have several a season. Oops I might have jinxed myself now :D

I'm careful but not so careful as to ruin my fun. My late mother-in-law often got eye infections when out in public as she had a habit of rubbing her eyes frequently. We try never to do that.

A decent bar of soap and hand washing does the trick for most situations. I use some Purell but not all day long.

How long before travelling do you take the zinc?

Sounds like you're prepared! We always take a small package of wipes onboard and even though the rooms have just been cleaned we use them to wipe down the phone, the remote control, door and drawer knobs, and light switches--just in case. We also feel it is good to use the Purell going into the Lido and again once we have touched all the serving utensils while filling our plates and before eating. We've sailed once code red, but have not yet been sick ourselves.

I do the same as you do and have never been sick yet. On my last cruise some of the public HAL Purell vending boxes were empty. Always good to carry your own.

I think we'll start a week or so before we leave. (Not a good thing for anyone with an auto-immune disease - my cousin with MS has been told never to take zinc.) We actually don't usually get any bugs, and come home with all my little pharmacy intact - it's my insurance policy! DH came down with a bad cold a few days after we got home this last cruise, I actually blame it on the plane.

I think we'll start a week or so before we leave. (Not a good thing for anyone with an auto-immune disease - my cousin with MS has been told never to take zinc.) We actually don't usually get any bugs, and come home with all my little pharmacy intact - it's my insurance policy! DH came down with a bad cold a few days after we got home this last cruise, I actually blame it on the plane.

Thank you for your reply.

A good idea to take remedies with you on vacation BUT if you do get he dreaded Noro or similar symptoms please still report it to the medical staff.

For those taking various wipes on their cruise is apparently they are a major cause of blockages in the toilet system. We had a few problems on our last cruise and according to the maintenance guys they were caused by someone further along the corridor flushing wipes. They don't disintegrate and can block the smaller bore pipes in the vacuum systems.

Leave the Wet Ones home.

We have been on quite a few HAL ships that were in Code Red.

We just used common sense and and constantly washed our hands.

I do bring a couple of bars of hand soap from home as we do not care for HAL's Elemis products.

And I do have a small bottle of Purell that we put into the back pack for when we are off the ship.

Ok....so I may regret saying this...but after more then 3 years on tons of different cruises neither DW or I have ever had a serious GI problem on a cruise. We have both had our share of respiratory colds,....but most of these are spread by airborne bugs. So what is our secret of avoiding the GI stuff (like Noro). Probably luck. But, we do try to make our own luck by simply washing our hands, as often as possible, with soap and water. According to the CDC this is the most effective way to avoid the dreaded Noro.....and when I worked in hospital Emergency Rooms this was how the staff avoided catching all the nasty bugs.

I agree - just wash, wash, wash. Soap and water does the trick. The Purell makes me itch, so when I use it I then rush right into a restroom and wash it off. We carry wipes with us and use them,:)

Terry

Leave the Wet Ones home.

We have been on quite a few HAL ships that were in Code Red.

We just used common sense and and constantly washed our hands.

I do bring a couple of bars of hand soap from home as we do not care for HAL's Elemis products.

And I do have a small bottle of Purell that we put into the back pack for when we are off the ship.

Unfortunately, HAL has stopped providing Elemis bars of soap they used to supply. I never thought I'd have to bring my own soap for my 'luxury' cruise. If we don't bring our own soap, all they now have is that fig mush that I find very unpleasant to look at or use.

I liked the round white bars of Elemis soap and particularly liked the Elemis glycerine and miss both.

Archived