Holland America secrets they don't tell you about - 2013 edition

Ship's Wake

It's been awhile since the last one of these was posted, and since HAL has made changes over the years, I think it's time we get the scoop on the latest "secrets" or things not well known or publicized that can plus any HAL cruise.

I'll start with a few:

You can order any breakfast item being served in the dining room from room service during the dining room's hours of operation - just write it down on the room service menu card.

On Alaska cruises split pea soup is served out on deck during the cruising day in Glacier Bay .

Blankets are available on deck during Alaska cruises to keep you warm.

What are your "secrets" you are willing to share?

You can order the diningroom cheese plate for delivery to your cabin if you order after the diningroom opens. It's a much better plate than the regular one on the room service menu.

Things that others probably know, but I didn't...until this year!

You can order from the child's menu in the dining room, even if you aren't a child!

If you get a bottle of champagne as a gift you can exchange it for the non alcoholic kind OR for cans of soda instead!

Never witnessed this but was told by a fellow passenger at Half Moon Cay that the far, far end of the beach, past the rock wall that juts out into the water, is also known as the nude beach.

I don't know this as a fact either but the couple we saw in the buff on HMC weren't past the rocks. DH and I started our beach walk and as we got closer to the couple, we realized that they were nude. We just kept on walking and after we passed them, we realized that we'd have to walk past them again after we got to the rocks and turned around to go back to our chairs. To each his own I guess but I was suprised that HAL allowed it in that location since so many passengers like to walk down to the rocks.

Barring unforeseen emergency, there is a Catholic priest on board every cruise for religious services.

Every cabin category can order room service off the dining room menu.

If there is something you want to eat, but don't see it offered, just ask. If at all possible, it will be made available for you.

Never witnessed this but was told by a fellow passenger at Half Moon Cay that the far, far end of the beach, past the rock wall that juts out into the water, is also known as the nude beach.

This is true. Sexual activity there is not unusual.

You can also turn in that bottle of champagne for a bottle of house wine, red or white

Is this still true? I had heard that now you could only get a glass of champagne in the Neptune Lounge, but no bottle in the room and no opportunity to get wine in place of the champagne.

We're booked in a Neptune Suite on the Rotterdam on June 29th and would love to find the wine option still offered as it has been on previous cruises!

This is undoubtedly not a secret, but somehow we missed the announcement/information that everyone should gather at the bow for a ship photograph upon entering Gatun Locks on our Panama Canal cruise.

Experienced passengers will think I am crazy to post this as a sort of "secret," but if it keeps one cruiser from missing that (possibly) once in a lifetime opportunity (as we did :(), I am more than willing to sound like an idiot!

In addition, DON'T stand behind the "glass" windows on the highest decks, as your face will not be identifiable in the photo (too much distortion from the glass/plexiglass), so the best place to go is on any open deck, such as the one in front of the gym/spa (at least on Zuiderdam -- I presume there is a similar small open deck on most HAL ships...) I even think that, for this photo op, the staff opens bow decks not usually accessible?

Is this still true? I had heard that now you could only get a glass of champagne in the Neptune Lounge, but no bottle in the room and no opportunity to get wine in place of the champagne.

We're booked in a Neptune Suite on the Rotterdam on June 29th and would love to find the wine option still offered as it has been on previous cruises!

There was neither a complimentary bottle of champagne nor a complementary bottle of water on our cruise in a Neptune Suite on the Rotterdam in April. We were offered a free glass of champagne in the Neptune Lounge on Embarkation Day.

Things that others probably know, but I didn't...until this year!

You can order from the child's menu in the dining room, even if you aren't a child!

If you get a bottle of champagne as a gift you can exchange it for the non alcoholic kind OR for cans of soda instead!

That bottle of champagne will get you a whopping 4 cans of soda! 48 whole ounces divided into 4 shiny portable cylindrical containers! Try not to drown on it all! :D

You can take your free bottle of champagne to the MDR and they will exchange it for white or red wine. No charge... I did it and made the bottle of wine last a couple of days. DH doesn't drink. It was nice to have it with my meal instead of drinking alone in the cabin. This was on the Rotterdam both 2012 and 2013 trips. :) :)

Note to self, don't walk past the rocks on HMC. I've got some not to wonderful images in my head now:D:eek:;).

I hear you, I had no idea all this was going on:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by KirkNC

On our Zuiderdam cruise in early May we received both a bottle a bottle of sparkling wine and water in our suite and the Neptunre Lounge was serving glasses of sparkling wine.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "secret" but I was pretty happy when I learned it and was able to act on it.

Cabins 4166 and 4168 on the Eurodam have double-wide balconies because there's an interior crew stairway between the two and the extra-wide balconies cover that cabin-gap on the outside of the ship. I've been told that the stairway is seldom used and there's no noise to speak of.

I'll let you know when we get back!