Old Coffee Card Question

SugarStar00

I purchased a coffee card on the Emerald 4 years ago that I never used all the punches on, amazingly I still have it and will be sailing the Emerald again next year. Any chance they are still using this system and I can use the rest of it?

Thanks

You can use the punches for regular coffee or specialty coffee. Someone also posted that it can be used for gelato.

Can it really be used for gelato? We have 3 old cards with most of the punches left. DH loves the freshly brewed coffee so he always buys a card, but we rarely use any of the punches. We could use up all of the old cards with gelato on our next cruise.

If a "new" card is blank on the back (no stamp or ship voyage/name empty) - will it work the next time?

John

Yes, it will work. However, like previous posters said, cards not purchased on the current voyage will be punched for EVERY purchase, including brewed coffee.

On a previous voyage I was successful in convincing a barista to swap an unused card purchased under the old system (no stamp or ship voyage/name) for a current card with the stamp. Doing that allowed the unlimited brewed coffee (for the current voyage) plus the fifteen specialty coffees. YMMV, but it's worth a try.

If a "new" card is blank on the back (no stamp or ship voyage/name empty) - will it work the next time?

John

I believe they have changed the design of the cards, no more cards with Kings, Queens or Jacks with funny names. So it should be obvious that if your "new" card is one of those, the server will know it is old and not bought on that trip. Whether or not they will accept it as new and give you free brewed coffee is anybody's guess. So if it were me, I'd let it be a pleasant surprise if they do and not be a disappointment if they don't

I believe they have changed the design of the cards, no more cards with Kings, Queens or Jacks with funny names. So it should be obvious that if your "new" card is one of those, the server will know it is old and not bought on that trip. Whether or not they will accept it as new and give you free brewed coffee is anybody's guess. So if it were me, I'd let it be a pleasant surprise if they do and not be a disappointment if they don't

I just bought one last week---brown card...they just didn't write/stamp anything on the back. Still have half the punches left...was wondering if I could use for both (coffee and specialty) instead of buying a whole new card just for brewed coffee.

They certainly have changed the design of the cards with the implementation of the new system. The new card is much simpler in design, kind of half dark brown and half white. Someone posted a photo on another post. I recall it's a bit flimsier than the KQJ cards but somewhat sturdier than the even earlier ones made from cheap colored construction paper.

Regardless of all that, I've had most servers check the current style cards to make sure they were issued on the current cruise. I still feel attempting to swap a previously unused old-style card for a current unused card is still worth a try. It doesn't cost anything to ask and an answer of "no" doesn't leave you with less than you already had. It did work for me.

I just bought one last week---brown card...they just didn't write/stamp anything on the back. Still have half the punches left...was wondering if I could use for both (coffee and specialty) instead of buying a whole new card just for brewed coffee.

That's very likely. Give it a shot (pun intended). If they want to punch it for brewed coffee, don't let them. Instead have them label it for the current cruise.

Yes, you can use it for both, but it will be punched each time you use it whether it's used for speciality or brewed coffee.

Lew

I was going to start a thread re the coffee card but reckon my question will be answered here.

I seen to recall reading somewhere that pastries and croissants

were free with the card in the International cafe, is that still the case.

I like brewed coffee and it will be worth it for that alone but it would be nice to know what "extras" you can expect. :)

What is the cost of the coffee card?

How many punches?

Penny

$31 online (Gift Services) - 15 punches.

Café Selects Coffee Card:

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks along

with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration

of your cruise.

Item #524 – $31

$31 online (Gift Services) - 15 punches.

Café Selects Coffee Card:

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks along

with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration

of your cruise.

Item #524 – $31

This price also includes the gratuity.

Per the web site, $29 with 15 punches.

This is directly off the website today:

Café Selects Coffee Card

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise

Item #524

$31.00

This is directly off the website today:

Café Selects Coffee Card

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise

Item #524

$31.00

How much is it if you purchase it after you board?

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

Thank you I was just going to ask what the prices of the coffees are. Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response to my original question, glad I held on to it all these years!!

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee.

Here's a useful bit of math:

$33.35 / 15 = $2.22

If you bought the card (some have unfinished cards, some get them by trading in a Mini Bar), each punch cost you $2.22 ...

So you can compare the price of a specialty coffee drink to $2.22 when deciding whether to "spend a punch" or just sign for it and add a nice tip for your barista.

Or, thinking about Gelato on the Crown: cost is $4.44 if you use card punches for it.

Rick

So if you buy it online before you go, $31.00, on board it's 33.35? just wondering. Sounds like it's worth it to buy beforehand. Also, if you buy before, how do you receive the card? I just realized many items, including hard liquor, can be purchased beforehand. I guess any item is in the cabin? They also had a 'package' with a coffee card, $25 giftcard and strawberries.

Archived