Eclipse delayed boarding 22/6

terrierjohn

Eclipse will be having a deep clean on Saturday 22nd June after an outbreak of Noro on the current cruise. Boarding will be delayed until 2:30 and cabins not ready till 4:30.

Do you have any idea how bad it has been. I believe that they had it on the last trip but assumed that the previous deep clean would have reduced the likelihood.

At times like this I'm glad I've got a balcony

David

We're going on the cruise on Saturday and have been informed today about the situation. I'm also worried that they are doing another "deep clean" as it was apparent on a previous cruise too.

It is a bit worrying. I have already packed my wipes to do the stuff in the cabin like the phone and surfaces!

Hope its all OK when we get there and on the cruise.

It seems as if the Eclipse has this happen more often when it goes out of Southampton. Not sure why.

The cruise before ours two years ago had the Noro Virus, we had to wait whilst it was deep cleaned. Our cruise was noro virus free thankfully.

We're going on the cruise on Saturday and have been informed today about the situation. I'm also worried that they are doing another "deep clean" as it was apparent on a previous cruise too.

It is a bit worrying. I have already packed my wipes to do the stuff in the cabin like the phone and surfaces!

Just be careful of how you touch surfaces. Use your knuckle to press elevator buttons, and try not to grab handrails, if using the stairs. And wash, wash, wash your hands often.

Just be careful of how you touch surfaces. Use your knuckle to press elevator buttons, and try not to grab handrails, if using the stairs. And wash, wash, wash your hands often.

Oh someone I completely agree with! I never press any lift buttons with my finger (always use the knuckle) and never hold the stair rails on ships. And being a nurse, I am always washing my hands anyway!!

Lets hope we have a bug free cruise!:)

Hi Homeless Bear, we are also on the Eclipse on Saturday along with over 100 people from our roll call. Sorry you didn't join us. t

You will be sailing with a fine group of cruisers,who hopefully wash their hands regularly. :)

I experienced a delayed boarding in April on the Infinity. Even though they started boarding after 2 pm, we were not allowed into cabins until close to 6 pm. We were lucky enough to grab a pair of chaises on the pool deck under the cover. It rained. The buffet was crowded. The staff was short handed. Some didn't understand what to do. You had to stand in long lines for drinks and food. Staff neglected to clear trays from tables. The lines to use the public restrooms were outrageous. It took 3 days to get the cabin furnishings back to normal. And during our 2 week cruise, we were in the "don't touch that" mode. I understand that norovirus can happen. We had received an email a few days prior to the cruise. We met many people who were not notified. The crowd in the embarkation terminal was very angry. My advice is to wait to arrive at the terminal. I would have been happier staying at a nice hotel or restaurant rather than camping out on the pool deck in the rain.

I had a call from my parents this evening who are currently on the Eclipse. It is pretty bad according to what my mother said. You can't help yourself to anything in the buffet and all the little extras have been cut out like different butters which were available on the dinner tables have been replaced with a pat of normal butter put on your bread plate by the waiter. Various areas are cordoned off but not sure which areas my mother was referring to. She also said that events have been cancelled but again I'm not sure what events she was referring to. Don't know the numbers who have been taken ill.

We were on the May 25th departure

Notified that deep cleaning would delay boarding, but were able to drop baggage, park car and leave carry ons in car while we spent a couple of hours in the shopping mall across the road.

Celebrity provided a complimentary shuttle to and from the shopping centre for those arriving before boarding commenced.

We were on high alert for the first evening but then back to self service in the buffet from the following morning.

No problems on our cruise that we were aware of, but we did carry our own hand rub and used it at the table before eating!

This was our second Eclipse cruise from Southampton, and no problems on either cruise.

There was an outbreak on Infinity in Alaska when we were aboard 2 years ago.

Good luck for your holiday

It seems as if the Eclipse has this happen more often when it goes out of Southampton. Not sure why. ...

There are really only two possible reasons: Either they are having an issue eliminating it on board despite the deep cleaning or it is being brought back on board by embarking passengers as fast as it is cleaned up between cruises. Could be a combination of the two as well. Cruise lines have gotten pretty good at dealing with noro and know how to do a deep cleaning that should eliminate it, but that won't help if there is something unusual their procedures are missing or if it keeps being brought back on board.

Noro doesn't start on board. It is brought on board by passengers. It takes a couple days for symptoms to appear so people could be bringing in board from hotels and common transportation without knowing they have it if symptoms haven't appeared yet.

Noro doesn't start on board. It is brought on board by passengers. It takes a couple days for symptoms to appear so people could be bringing in board from hotels and common transportation without knowing they have it if symptoms haven't appeared yet.

When we cruise on IOTS from Southampton a couple of years ago, we stayed pre cruise at a nearby hotel, along with many others doing the same. As we went down in the lift to breakfast, there was a notice saying boarding would be delayed,. later in the morning the foyer was crowded with passengers waiting to board, but also disembarking passengers who waiting to be picked up, or who were booking in. We decided to leave the hotel and spend some time in the New Forest, and checked in after lunch.

The next morning my wife went down with the dreaded virus, and we are pretty sure she caught it from a disembarking passenger while we were checking out in the foyer. The care on board was excellent, and I was in the stateroom with my wife for 2 days, yet escaped it!

Richard

It seems as if the Eclipse has this happen more often when it goes out of Southampton. Not sure why.

The cruise before ours two years ago had the Noro Virus, we had to wait whilst it was deep cleaned. Our cruise was noro virus free thankfully.

I've been tracking the Solstice for various reasons. We were on board for an Australian itinerary. Noro has been on board since Dec 2012. There is something about these mega ships. can't just blame the customers.

Can anyone recommend a make of cleansing wipes for surfaces

I don't think any of them are 100% but what we have done the last few cruises is put the wipes in a bag that seals & add a little rubbing alcohol to it, as that sterilizes it even more. So far so good.

I've been tracking the Solstice for various reasons. We were on board for an Australian itinerary. Noro has been on board since Dec 2012. There is something about these mega ships. can't just blame the customers.

Mega ships carry mega numbers of passengers in a confined space.

I'd be interested to see if cruise ships tracked data for cruises that have noro outbreak and amount of children on board. I'm not suggesting children deserve 100% of the blame, but it is well documented that children are much less likely to wash or thoroughly wash their hands. I wonder if summer months and holiday cruises have more noro outbreaks.

I have been on Eclipse twice and never contacted any illness, BUT, we eat mainly in the dining room, so almost always have waiter service.

I'd be interested to see if cruise ships tracked data for cruises that have noro outbreak and amount of children on board. I'm not suggesting children deserve 100% of the blame, but it is well documented that children are much less likely to wash or thoroughly wash their hands. I wonder if summer months and holiday cruises have more noro outbreaks.

Hmm, I know kids can forget, but I see a lot of older fellow guests who don't follow the hygiene procedures and they really have no excuse!

As for the ship having GI onboard all the time, well that is simply ridiculous as you can monitor this board and see how often they have to take the measures they are this weekend and it certainly is not every turn! People bring it onboard with them, because they either do not know they have it yet, or they just lie because they don't want to forego their holiday! :(

There are really only two possible reasons: Either they are having an issue eliminating it on board despite the deep cleaning or it is being brought back on board by embarking passengers as fast as it is cleaned up between cruises. Could be a combination of the two as well. Cruise lines have gotten pretty good at dealing with noro and know how to do a deep cleaning that should eliminate it, but that won't help if there is something unusual their procedures are missing or if it keeps being brought back on board.

Actually, Noro is found in food products also

Archived