11 hour layover in Atlanta

dfb

So, we purchased our air to Sitka for our Alaskan Dream cruise back in January. Last week Alaska Airlines informed us they had changed our itinerary due to dropping some flights. It is bad but the worst thing they did is give us an 11 hour layover in Atlanta. Does anyone have any suggestions for what we might spend that time doing? I'd hate to have to rent a car and wonder about using Marta. We have already done the GA Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, the zoo, the cyclorama, Oakwood cemetery, and Centennial Park. We will be in Atlanta on a Tuesday in August from 7:18am to 6:35pm. We are 2 adults. Any ideas?

Thanks, Debbie

Yeah, I would call the airline and see if they can give you a better connection. Many times they will. If they say no, call the next day and ask someone else. If they say no, then start planning your long day ;)

We have an 11 hour layover next year at LAX. We booked a day room at the Hilton. We'll use the health club, maybe the pool, take a nap, and arrive back at the airport freshly showered and ready for our next flight.

If you can't get re-accomodated on AS metal, you can also ask to be rebooked onto a code-share operated by DL. Even if there is no space on one of the six or so daily non-stop, you could easily be rerouted through SLC or MSP or DTW.

Definitely contact AS and push back. Let them know the long layover isn't acceptable. AS is pretty customer-oriented and will probably do what they can to get you a better itinerary. What is your starting city and destination? Also keep in mind they have many codeshares on AA planes, so there are more options than pure AS-operated flights.

Aug 27 RDU to ATL - ATL to SEA

2 days later we fly to Sitka

The entire itinerary is booked with Alaska Airlines but the flights into RDU are Delta codeshares.

Aug 27 RDU to ATL - ATL to SEA

2 days later we fly to Sitka

The entire itinerary is booked with Alaska Airlines but the flights into RDU are Delta codeshares.

There are flights every 1-2 hours from RDU, so call for sure.

If you do end up in Atlanta for 11 hours you could do worse than the Atlanta History Center . We spent the best part of a day there at its Civil War exhibition a few years ago. There are also a number of other exhibitions including one on the Atlanta Olympics. And it is accessible by MARTA and bus. It was a highlight of a Civil War tour we did through the South.

As a code share partner AS should be able to rebook you. We fly RDU-ATL-XXX often and there is no reason for the 11 hour delay. There are plenty of flights to rebook on. The other option they should offer is a refund and you can rebook.

Before you do anything please check a site like Kayak and have your preferred itinerary handy when you call.

I assume you're flying on Delta "metal" to ATL, then Alaska to SEA? Keep in mind that ATL isn't your only choice for connecting city. Alaska flies to DCA, MCO, FLL, PHL, ORD, MCI, STL, BOS, and farther west there's DEN, DFW, MSP, and most major West Coast cities. (Suggest SFO or LAX).

Alaska should be willing to change connecting cities if they can't come up with something through ATL.

If you don't get your flights changed for some reason, there are still plenty of things to do in Atlanta. Also, just because you have done something once before doesn't mean you can't do it again.

No need to wonder about using MARTA. It is very easy to use and relatively inexpensive. You can also leave your carry on luggage at a desk in the baggage claim area for a fee so you don't need to carry it with you when going into the city.

But I would try to have AS rebook you onto the 2.45pm departure from RDU to ATL, arriving 4.15pm. That gives you 2+ hours to make the connection.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have called Alaska Air and they have rebooked us through LAX to SEA with no long layovers. Appreciate all the help and problem solved.

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have called Alaska Air and they have rebooked us through LAX to SEA with no long layovers. Appreciate all the help and problem solved.

Debbie

I'm glad you were able to get better routing.

Archived