Goodie Bags

Last year, my party prepared goodie bags for our service attendants to give along with gratuities. Even though gratuities are now included, we will probably give extra, and would like to make it more "gift-like". Any ideas for contents of the bag?:D

Last year, my party prepared goodie bags for our service attendants to give along with gratuities. Even though gratuities are now included, we will probably give extra, and would like to make it more "gift-like". Any ideas for contents of the bag?:D

Phone cards are most welcome .:)

The only language universally spoken is "cash." What ever you pick will most likely not be anything your cabin attendant or other server will have any use for. They have a routine when they are able to leave the ship in port and know ahead of time if they are going to K-mart for something particular on that stop or something different.

Just save yourself the prep time and space in your suitcase and add that value to the cash you were planning to give. The only "gift" they want from you is a smile when you hand them the tip.

Anything material probably isn't of much good to them. They will smile and thank you, but remember they share a cabin the size of yours or smaller with three other people. So storage is very limited.

Extra cash and a favorable review mean tons more to them than any trinket that will go straight into the trash or candy they might not eat or can buy for themselves. Phone cards may seem like a good choice but they can get them cheaply from the cruiseline AND you don't know precisely what kind they need. Forget the useless goody bags, they only serve to make you feel good. With extra cash they can buy what they actually want and need. Of course, they will thank you profusely but what can they do?

The only language universally spoken is "cash." What ever you pick will most likely not be anything your cabin attendant or other server will have any use for. They have a routine when they are able to leave the ship in port and know ahead of time if they are going to K-mart for something particular on that stop or something different.

Just save yourself the prep time and space in your suitcase and add that value to the cash you were planning to give. The only "gift" they want from you is a smile when you hand them the tip.

nice advertisement. it so is easy to see you are dia+.

i like that banner.

You are at work, your boss tells you did a great job, you get your regular paycheck.

You have a choice

Your boss could put together a goody bag, he know nothing of your persobal tastes, think of all the crap it may have candy bars you do not like, trinkets from his home town, a phone card which you may not be able to use. It could be a bag of junk to you but precious items to your boss.

or

cash.

What would your family like crap or cash?

You should bring them big stuffed animals.

They love those.

Another lady gave them photos of herself because the stewards like to have pictures of their favorite passengers to show to their own family..

Make sure to get the photos framed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you want to make it more personal bring Thank You cards for either just a personal note or a note with additional tip. Nice thing is they don't take up valuable space or add weight if your flying. Our room steward took the time to write us a Thank You note one cruise and it meant the world to us. I always bring some, sometimes they get used and sometimes they don't. :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

If you want to make it more personal bring Thank You cards for either just a personal note or a note with additional tip. Nice thing is they don't take up valuable space or add weight if your flying. Our room steward took the time to write us a Thank You note one cruise and it meant the world to us. I always bring some, sometimes they get used and sometimes they don't. :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

That is a great suggestion, fills the need to do something personal and gives the person something needed.

Agree with those that say "cash is king." I always tip above the minimum so I bring thank you notes and thank them for the specific reasons they made my cruise memorable and then add my extra gratuity.

Another thing I have started to do is ask my cabin steward, waiter, etc if they are getting off in port. If so, I give them part of the added gratuity so they have some spending money for whatever they may need.

They seem to appreciate it.

One poster mentioned offering to pick up a few things for them if they are unable to get off the ship (toiletries, etc. ).

I plan to do that on my next cruise.

Phone cards are most welcome .:)

I'm sorry to disagree with you but not all phone cards work from all locations. In addition, the crew can buy phone cards for really cheap prices and many of them SKYPE instead of using a phone.

Cash is what the crew really wants.. They don't want trinkets as they have no place to put them. Another thought is to ask them when going ashore if there is anything they would like, then you know exactly what to give them.

Staff will appreciate cash and recognition...period. Treat them nice and with respect throughout your cruise. They have a demanding job and work under stressful conditions (away from family, tight quarters, long hours and little "down time").

Leave a nice, personalized note if it make you feel better. On turnaround day, I really doubt they have time or interest in reading anything we write!

Have to agree with all of the cash suggestions! In Dec, I got a small stocking and put a nice size bill in it...got a big smile in return! Easter, fill an Easter Egg with cash...you will get the same big smile!

As noted, the truth is...we do not know what our cabin steward or waiter wants or needs. Yes, toiletries...but what kind? Candy, what kind do they like...if any! Cash....it is universal and loved by everyone!

I usually bring thank you notes and write a personal thank you with the extra cash tip we give... I know how small the space is for the crew. We actually had a great waiter on our first 2 cruises that gave my daughter a small gift thought that was so special. She still has it (a small elephant from India)

Wow, read some really snide comments in response to the OP. No need to be unkind when someone is trying to do something nice! I also thought about gifts/goodie bags for our cabin steward but then thought that really they would probably prefer the extra cash. Even if you are only spending a few dollars it may be the better idea. I suggest a nice Thank You card with the cash as that will make you feel as though you are doing something special for that person but not taking up their reportedly valuable room space or giving them items that they may not enjoy or need. I like the idea of asking if anything is needed when you hit the shops off the boat and I plan to do that on my next cruise! Good luck and thank you for being the kind of person that thinks of others :)

OP--your heart is in the right place, but I have to agree with the majority here, that a goodie bag is just going to be "stuff" that many workers cannot really use and a waste of your time and money to make.

I think the handwritten thank you note with an extra cash tip, and making a point of passing on praise both verbally onboard to managers and in writing on the survey and even to RCI after the cruise, is the best thing you can do.

Archived