Did Princess Make a Mistake with the Royal Princess

stevenr597

we are looking forward to our Mediterranean Cruise on the MS Royal Princess this August. We have booked a Mini-Suite mid-ship. We have heard some very exciting things about the ship. However, one complaint that we have also heard is that the balconies are to small. Is this true? Did Princess make an error in the ship?

we are looking forward to our Mediterranean Cruise on the MS Royal Princess this August. We have booked a Mini-Suite mid-ship. We have heard some very exciting things about the ship. However, one complaint that we have also heard is that the balconies are to small. Is this true? Did Princess make an error in the ship?

From photos, it appears to be a beautiful ship. However, the balconies do appear small unless you choose wisely. Some minis have larger balconies but some of those are under the SeaWalk, etc.

Hi There

Depends on what type of cruiser and cruise you take,

in the med you can have 12 ports in 14 days so only thing you need from a ship is food a place to wash and a bed,

so an inside would do fine,

if cruising Norway with 3 days scenic cruising out of 7 then you may well want the biggest balcony

the Royal is a nice ship, with lots of choice

yours Shogun

I guess then for 2013 in the med she is the right ship, for 2014 in northern europe she isnt. I am a big princess fan, i was have tried to like the royal and may sail on her for the novelty, i just think its a shame princess made so many simple mistakes.

In 50+ cruises I've only had balconies twice so I could care less how big they are, I'd much rather they build some cabins for singles. No matter what they build some people will want something different so just choose what suits your style of cruising best

An error compared to what?

Personally speaking I think the uncovered mini's balconies on the Grand class ships was an error. At sailaway from most ports we can look down and see those balconies unused while many covered or partially covered balconies have people enjoying them. And earlier in the day the minisuite balconies are practically deserted.

The Royal Princess is a different design. The inside of the mini appears to have ample room, even if the balcony is smaller. And the Deluxe Balcony cabins look very appealing with the sofa (offered by other cruise lines).

Is different design an error or a trade-off? Or just different?

Hi There

Depends on what type of cruiser and cruise you take,

in the med you can have 12 ports in 14 days so only thing you need from a ship is food a place to wash and a bed,

so an inside would do fine,

if cruising Norway with 3 days scenic cruising out of 7 then you may well want the biggest balcony

the Royal is a nice ship, with lots of choice

yours Shogun

An inside would not be fine for us on any itinerary.

For us, the balconies are too small on Royal Princess. It won't stop us sailing with Princess though. We will just try to find a similar itinerary on another ship.

We like to have a little space to move around on the balcony. It looks as tho you can't even place your chair facing the water.

Or, take the foot stool out from under the chair without moving the table into the cabin!! :(

There are plenty of options out in the cruise industry to pick from. Where you go and what you want is up to you. Seasoned cruisers may have established some must have's while newbies are overcome with options. I've had great size balconies ans been bored to death having great food but limited entertainment. It's up to the buyer to weigh out a ship's merits and minuses. Don't blame any cruise line for offering options and a multitude of ships with various designs. Over time the design restrictions change and how you build a ship will vary along with the technology they build into it. As ships age and are retrofitted to compete in the marketplace they will add some great features and loose some of their character but they live on. Suggest only you the buyer weigh out the merits and make your best choice. Face it that we all make mistakes but try to have a little fun in the process and start living rather than complaining. It's still your choice so please don't blame anyone for your choice. Tomorrow something else will show up and it may not be as good either but when it hits your go button just run with it and try to crack a smile. The sun will set whether you like it or not

We like to have a little space to move around on the balcony. It looks as tho you can't even place your chair facing the water.

A poster has returned from the Royal claiming he was able to turn the chair and face the sea. Another has experienced a UBD on the balcony of her balcony cabin.:D

Am I disappointed that the balconies are 4' deep vs. 5' deep on other standard balconies on the various Grand-class ships...yes. Is it a deal breaker for us...no!

We look forward to our 18 day TA & while it's good to become aware of some of the issues that some passengers have I see no reason to begin new threads when current threads are already discussing the very same things...such as the cabin size.

What a great reply, and a wonderful attitude. Good on you.

There are plenty of options out in the cruise industry to pick from. Where you go and what you want is up to you. Seasoned cruisers may have established some must have's while newbies are overcome with options. I've had great size balconies ans been bored to death having great food but limited entertainment. It's up to the buyer to weigh out a ship's merits and minuses. Don't blame any cruise line for offering options and a multitude of ships with various designs. Over time the design restrictions change and how you build a ship will vary along with the technology they build into it. As ships age and are retrofitted to compete in the marketplace they will add some great features and loose some of their character but they live on. Suggest only you the buyer weigh out the merits and make your best choice. Face it that we all make mistakes but try to have a little fun in the process and start living rather than complaining. It's still your choice so please don't blame anyone for your choice. Tomorrow something else will show up and it may not be as good either but when it hits your go button just run with it and try to crack a smile. The sun will set whether you like it or not

I tend to be one of those people who is so thrilled to be on a cruise that I don't care if the balcony is a foot smaller or if I am in an inside cabin. I don't go looking for things to be unhappy about on a ship. Some find every little thing wrong and I wonder why they even left home. Life (and the cruise) is too short to be miserable to look for all the little things that are wrong. Put me in an outside cabin with a "too small" balcony and I will still sit out there watching the water go by.

The wonderful thing about cruising is the variety of ships and companies to choose from. If they all offered the same then only one type of clientele would be happy.

I have enjoyed sailing with Princess very much in the past. I tried the Royal on a preview and I know it is not for me. It was ok for a couple of days but I had already booked a Caribbean cruise for next year with 3 sea days in a week. I knew the tiny balcony (I could physically turn my chair to face the sea but couldn't move my legs or recline the back!) and lack of pools suitable for us would would irritate me when I wanted to relax in the sun. For this reason I have cancelled that booking.

However as someone else has stated if she was doing a Med cruise with lots of port stops then I wouldn't disregard her altogether but she wouldn't be my first choice either.

I don't think the design is a mistake, more a brave attempt at trying something different without perhaps really thinking about what works well at the minute.

I second that...well written

Hello to everyone. I am a first time cruiser who is registered disabled and use a wheelchair to get around altho' I am not w/c bound. I am travelling on the Crown Princess on he Mediterranean & Adriatic cruise in September this year and yes! I have booked a balcony suite as I have romantic ideology about sitting on one of the balcony chairs with my feet up drinking a coke & Malibu with ice and watching the sun go down on the horizon!! I don't think it really matters what size the balcony is, as long as you can sit in a chair and be comfortable. I think if you want more space then go find a chair on the deck!

Hello to everyone. I am a first time cruiser who is registered disabled and use a wheelchair to get around altho' I am not w/c bound. I am travelling on the Crown Princess on he Mediterranean & Adriatic cruise in September this year and yes! I have booked a balcony suite as I have romantic ideology about sitting on one of the balcony chairs with my feet up drinking a coke & Malibu with ice and watching the sun go down on the horizon!! I don't think it really matters what size the balcony is, as long as you can sit in a chair and be comfortable. I think if you want more space then go find a chair on the deck!

Based on a photo posted on facebook yesterday by Cruise Critic, I'd have to say ...... good luck on being able to put your feet up! Ther's no room to do that! :eek:

Based on a photo posted on facebook yesterday by Cruise Critic, I'd have to say ...... good luck on being able to put your feet up! Ther's no room to do that! :eek:

Poster said they were sailing on the Crown, and as far as I remember the have same size balconys as other grand class.

On Royal I could certainly 'put my feet up' when on the balcony, and did so many times.

Archived