Did Princess Make a Mistake with the Royal Princess

stevenr597

Hi sunsetbeachgirl

Ahhhh that was a nice thing to say

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I board the Royal in a couple of weeks so will share my impressions as well.

Oh, I have a cute dog too...a miniature schnauzer who I miss when we cruise. Your boy is beautiful!

Precisely,they don't suit you. But posting here and saying that Princess made a disastrous marketing mistake and will never fill the ship because they don't suit you is the problem.

First of all, I never said anything of the sort. Second, what is this "problem" of which you speak? This thread is a discussion of whether Princess made a mistake. If you find this discussion to be problematic, then you can skip it.

First of all, I never said anything of the sort. Second, what is this "problem" of which you speak? This thread is a discussion of whether Princess made a mistake. If you find this discussion to be problematic, then you can skip it.

I'll try again. Discussing what you don't like about the new ship is not a problem. Remarks made about the ship being a failure is a problem if you have never sailed it.

Should Princess have built the Royal to boast a waterpark and slide on the top deck? Should they have added a zip line, skating rink, and inside balconies? Should they have made the Royal Princess a floating amusement park. Oasis and Allure are not our cup of tea. There are many money making add ons on these ships.

We prefer the elegant atmosphere of Royal Princess and we are looking forward to experiencing the ship. Princess has served us well in the past and before I would negatively review the ship, I would sail her.

Criticizing Royal Princess because it is missing things that you want it to have is

one thing. But condemning the ship to fail is quite another.

Well, I am taking a cruise on the ship and still criticizing it ahead of time. At this point, we all know what the ship has and what it doesn't have. People can make informed decisions. As for the Allure, it's both fun and elegant and has something for everyone. My issue with the Royal Princess that is not an issue with the Allure is the encroachment of upcharge facilities on non upcharge areas - think second pool.

I will enjoy the Royal and find much to like. I just don't have to be too excited about the many things that are being criticized here on these threads. If you want the happy thread where no criticism is allowed, it's easy to find.

If you haven't cruised before, how do you know the balconies are smaller, or the Chef's table is most expensive. How many non CC first timers even know the CT exists?

What Princess can market is things like the expanded Horizon Court, the cabanas, the outdoor 'Chill Lounge' with water feature, the large MUTS screen, the Fondue station, the Crab Shack, pizza offerings that now compete with RCCL, etc...PERSONALLY I don't think these are enough, but then again, I'm already an experienced cruiser.

I'm curious as to what features you think they placed on Royal that would attract a never-before-cruiser? "Hey Honey! Princess just launched a ship that has smaller balconies! Let's start packing!". Or: "Honey, Princess just launched a ship that has even more "pay for" dining options than ever before, and the Chef's Table is the most expensive in the fleet. Now's the time to consider a cruise!".

While I don't for a second question that what you stated is what Princess should have done. But I just don't seee that they did what you suggest. As pointed out above, never-before-cruisers who want a magnificent spa or a poolside cabana now have a viable option to sail on. But how many people in the "masses" were not cruising due to the absence of these features and who will now book a cruise because of them? Has to be a very, very small number. If anything, Royal seems to be ringing the bell with a percentage of loyal Princess cruisers who are basking in their new toy. But I haven't yet seen any suggestion, here or otherwise, that Royal rolled out new and unique features that drew them to cruising for the first time.

Well, I am taking a cruise on the ship and still criticizing it ahead of time. At this point, we all know what the ship has and what it doesn't have. People can make informed decisions. As for the Allure, it's both fun and elegant and has something for everyone. My issue with the Royal Princess that is not an issue with the Allure is the encroachment of upcharge facilities on non upcharge areas - think second pool.

I will enjoy the Royal and find much to like. I just don't have to be too excited about the many things that are being criticized here on these threads. If you want the happy thread where no criticism is allowed, it's easy to find.[/QUOTE]

Please read post #78 again. Thank you:D

If you haven't cruised before, how do you know the balconies are smaller, or the Chef's table is most expensive. How many non CC first timers even know the CT exists?

That presents a philosophical question that probably can't be answered. Are people who have never cruised before not cruising because they don't know what cruise ships have to offer, or because they do? Your post presumes the former, but there is nothing forcing that conclusion. But let's assume that this premise is true. It brings us back to the point about what has Princess done to attract first time cruisers. If you assume that first time cruisers don't know about things such as large balconies, full Promenades, central staircases, multiple pools and sub-$100 Chef's Tables, then making changes to these features could not, by definition, have been done to attract new cruisers since they were oblivious to these features in the first place. And if the "better" offerings weren't causing them to book cruises, then the "lesser" offerings could never be the impetus for new bookings. So at best, these changes were supposed to slip past unnoticed by first time cruisers. Which leads us back to: what are the features that are supposed to lure first timers? Sea Walk? TV Studio? Spa? Cabanas? Raw Bar? It seems to me that these are

uniquely features that would appeal to loyal Princess passengers. I think that we are in agreement that Princess probably did not do enough to attract new customers. We'll see.

I'll try again. Discussing what you don't like about the new ship is not a problem. Remarks made about the ship being a failure is a problem if you have never sailed it.

I'm trying to resist being snarky here, but failing miserably. Whose rules are these? 'Cause I see examples everywhere in this world where failure is predicted before an endeavor even launches (Presidencies immediately come to mind. Gun control. Expressway expansions. I could go on forever here.) I think people are allowed to say something is likely to be a failure if they believe it to be so. People are also allowed to not be deflated by such opinions.

I'm trying to resist being snarky here, but failing miserably. Whose rules are these? 'Cause I see examples everywhere in this world where failure is predicted before an endeavor even launches (Presidencies immediately come to mind. Gun control. Expressway expansions. I could go on forever here.) I think people are allowed to say something is likely to be a failure if they believe it to be so. People are also allowed to not be deflated by such opinions.

I never said they weren't. I said I found it to be a problem to call it a failure when they haven't tried it and while there are no facts to support a failure yet. :)

It's all a matter of perspective, and the fact we don't know Princess' marketing plans. My read is that they wanted to add some different features and in order to add those they felt they had to make changes in other areas, and that those changes would be offset by appeal to a broader market. The smaller balconies were not done to attract new cruisers, they were done to expand the atrium size to allow more offerings without increasing the ship frame size (this is supposition on my part). I do have to admit I have no good reason for the lack of a central or at least near central stairwell given the space was allocated to crew stairs and it can't use that many resources to decorate the others.

Now, I don't think its going to work, but I have been wrong before. But the reason I don't think so has little to do with design and a lot to do with how Princess markets. I RARELY if ever see an ad for Princess in any mass media (TV, Web, Newspaper, Magazine). As you pointed out, prospective new cruisers need to know about things.

If Princess starts airing ads on TV with shots of water show at night, cut to Alfredos, cut to Vines, etc, then they have a very good chance of getting the interest of people who may then look at the ship and focus on those details. Once on the Royal, they have the opportunity to be sold on the other ships by way of Princess service (to me, its not a surprise they have a handpicked team on board).

That presents a philosophical question that probably can't be answered. Are people who have never cruised before not cruising because they don't know what cruise ships have to offer, or because they do? Your post presumes the former, but there is nothing forcing that conclusion. But let's assume that this premise is true. It brings us back to the point about what has Princess done to attract first time cruisers. If you assume that first time cruisers don't know about things such as large balconies, full Promenades, central staircases, multiple pools and sub-$100 Chef's Tables, then making changes to these features could not, by definition, have been done to attract new cruisers since they were oblivious to these features in the first place. And if the "better" offerings weren't causing them to book cruises, then the "lesser" offerings could never be the impetus for new bookings. So at best, these changes were supposed to slip past unnoticed by first time cruisers. Which leads us back to: what are the features that are supposed to lure first timers? Sea Walk? TV Studio? Spa? Cabanas? Raw Bar? It seems to me that these are

uniquely features that would appeal to loyal Princess passengers. I think that we are in agreement that Princess probably did not do enough to attract new customers. We'll see.

The e-mail videos that I received from Princess and viewing the deck plans and depictions of the staterooms and verandas were tantalizing to me. Having sailed on the original Royal Princess in 1986 and again on her on a trans-Atlantic re-positioning voyage that left Fort Everglades to Manaus and ended in Civitevecchia, I truly wanted a new cruise on her namesake.

Winter 2014 pricing left me aghast! I could not believe for such a new, wonderful vessel such a repetitve, ho-hum itinerary would be offered! Intending to book a veranda stateroom, maybe even a mini-suite, and viewing the photos of the size of those verandas: well, Princess Cruises will not be seeing any of my travel dollars on this Royal Princess. The size of the verandas is the last straw.

I keep thinking about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. If served on a standard Royal Princess veranda, where is the steward going to stand in order to serve the dinner? In the stateroom, trying to hold the veranda door open while he/she serves?

The original Royal Princess initiated verandas for some cabins and was an all outside stateroom vessel. This new version and very unhappily her sister, Regal Princess, is a disgrace to the original Royal Princess.

The executives at Princess Cruises in California and Carnival Shipbuilding in London for approving of such a design for veranda cabins should be fired. Bean counter friendly; absolutely! Guest friendly, absolutely not! Hopefully, Mr. Arnold Donald, the new CEO of Carnival Corporation, will have a positive impact on Princess Cruises and the other Carnival brands when he assumes his new job on July 3rd.

Once on the Royal, they have the opportunity to be sold on the other ships by way of Princess service (to me, its not a surprise they have a handpicked team on board).

I don't know, I had maybe a dozen crew members tell me how

they were trying to avoid going to Royal -- especially in dining.

Their attitude was 'Why do I want to go and work many, many extra

hours doing extra setup for the same pay I can get on another ship?'.

A maitre d' told me the same thing. He had had enough of bringing

out new ships, and liked things that were stable.

One girl I know had a 'medical problem', that kept her at home until her

rotation changed. Then, she felt much better.

Why would there be extra hours on the Royal as opposed to other ships? (Not doubting it, just not sure how meal service would change much functionally.)

I don't know, I had maybe a dozen crew members tell me how

they were trying to avoid going to Royal -- especially in dining.

Their attitude was 'Why do I want to go and work many, many extra

hours doing extra setup for the same pay I can get on another ship?'.

A maitre d' told me the same thing. He had had enough of bringing

out new ships, and liked things that were stable.

One girl I know had a 'medical problem', that kept her at home until her

rotation changed. Then, she felt much better.

If served on a standard Royal Princess veranda, where is the steward going to stand in order to serve the dinner? In the stateroom, trying to hold the veranda door open while he/she serves?

No place to stand:eek:

Why would there be extra hours on the Royal as opposed to other ships? (Not doubting it, just not sure how meal service would change much functionally.)

I assume it is like dry dock where employees all have to do weird jobs. I assume they boarded in Italy at the ship yard and did quite a bit to get ready for the new ship to sail.

I have also heard from several that they hate bringing out new ships.

I keep thinking about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. If served on a standard Royal Princess veranda, where is the steward going to stand in order to serve the dinner? In the stateroom, trying to hold the veranda door open while he/she serves?

If you read the 'live from' thread that was started by Shogun, you will see on there someone who has actually done the UBD and posted pictures of the setup on the Royal, and their comments about how it worked.

Perhaps you should actually read about it from someone who has done it, or even better experience it for yourselves before writing it off??

What they told me was that there would be lots of extra setup and cleaning. As well as hassles of trying to find everything, when the

station isn't complete. They just preferred something where the

'flow' was already established.

Once on the Royal, they have the opportunity to be sold on the other ships by way of Princess service (to me, its not a surprise they have a handpicked team on board).

I had one other comment on this. On Princess, there is a food and

beverage manager named Francesco Grasso.

He is the rudest department head I have ever encountered on

any cruise line I have been on. I told him he shouldn't even

wear a CRUISE pin, as he didn't understand the word respect.

He was bringing out Royal.

If he was hand-picked, I have to really wonder about the hand

doing the picking.

I don't care about small balconies, people looking into my cabin

from the skywalk, or the location of toilet paper holders -- he

being on the ship is enough reason to stay away.

Oasis/Allure have been such a success that they are building a third one. Not every ship is right for everyone, but the Royal, after initial reviews and sailings, is getting mixed reviews.

Do reviews even matter? Oasis/Allure are able to get top dollar

for caribbean.

[quote=Shogun;38965404 Princess should have flooded the present view cruises with Elite Princess cruisers the reviews would have been so different

Save time. Just hire some free-lance writers to churn reviews

from the marketing info.

Sent from my keyboard.

The e-mail videos that I received from Princess and viewing the deck plans and depictions of the staterooms and verandas were tantalizing to me. Having sailed on the original Royal Princess in 1986 and again on her on a trans-Atlantic re-positioning voyage that left Fort Everglades to Manaus and ended in Civitevecchia, I truly wanted a new cruise on her namesake.

Winter 2014 pricing left me aghast! I could not believe for such a new, wonderful vessel such a repetitve, ho-hum itinerary would be offered! Intending to book a veranda stateroom, maybe even a mini-suite, and viewing the photos of the size of those verandas: well, Princess Cruises will not be seeing any of my travel dollars on this Royal Princess. The size of the verandas is the last straw.

The original Royal Princess initiated verandas for some cabins and was an all outside stateroom vessel. This new version and very unhappily her sister, Regal Princess, is a disgrace to the original Royal Princess.

The executives at Princess Cruises in California and Carnival Shipbuilding in London for approving of such a design for veranda cabins should be fired. Bean counter friendly; absolutely! Guest friendly, absolutely not! Hopefully, Mr. Arnold Donald, the new CEO of Carnival Corporation, will have a positive impact on Princess Cruises and the other Carnival brands when he assumes his new job on July 3rd.

Well said. I believe Princess was counting on those of us that have sailed the original Royal Princess to want to sail her namesake. I also agree that the Caribbean itineraries are boring and not at all enticing. For the same reason RCCL's Allure and Oasis of the Seas do not appeal to those of us confirmed Princess cruisers.

If served on a standard Royal Princess veranda, where is the steward going to stand in order to serve the dinner? In the stateroom, trying to hold the veranda door open while he/she serves?/quote]

No need to wonder or make comments based on no knowledge - just read http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38879917#post38879917 -- the comments of an actual cruiser on the Royal who did the UBD:

Hi,

We had UBD in Gibraltar on the maiden voyage (just got back today).We had a regular balcony cabin.

There was enough room, they brought a dining table and it was a lovely experience in the glorious evening sunshine.

You only need enough room for two and an ibe bucket for the champagne and there was ample.

The waiter was able to serve the meal without leaning over us and also could stand and chat on the balcony during the meal.

Yes, I agree it was slightly more snug than in a mini or a Caribe grand balcony but it was still great.

You can see her pictures on post #1147: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38959442#post38959442

Swiss Dave - didn't notice that you had beaten me to a reply -- I started answering as soon as I read these 2 messages and didn't look at what other folks had contributed overnight!

Do reviews even matter? Oasis/Allure are able to get top dollar

for caribbean.

Well, reviews pretty much go hand in hand with word of mouth. The Oasis/Allure get top dollar because they are great ships. Because they are great ships and run incredibly well, they get great reviews.

The Royal Princess is struggling with its reviews so far. I think it's too early to conclude whether that relates to its deficiencies or expectations of its passengers. I think it will help that the next three months of itineraries are all Grand Med, which is a great itinerary. It is hard NOT to have a great time with that one. We'll see what happens as the summer rolls on in terms of the pool situation and how passengers view the new additions and deletions from other Princess ships.

Well said. I believe Princess was counting on those of us that have sailed the original Royal Princess to want to sail her namesake. I also agree that the Caribbean itineraries are boring and not at all enticing. For the same reason RCCL's Allure and Oasis of the Seas do not appeal to those of us confirmed Princess cruisers.

I don't know what you mean by confirmed Princess cruisers. I must be an unconfirmed Princess cruiser because I loved the Allure and I would bet that I am not alone among those who cruise Princess regularly. Of course, most don't do these ships for the itineraries. We have been to so many of these Caribbean islands and find them all to be very similar. Let's face it. You're not getting Istanbul, Rome, Venice, or Edinburgh on these Caribbean islands.

Archived