Be VERY CAREFUL in Egypt

curtdesilets

In Giza (where the pyramids are), there was a horrific murder in broad daylight yesterday. It was a clash between Sunni and Shia, but violence is on the rise.

Then I just read this, dated June 1. The Provost of the American University in Cairo sternly recommends not touring the pyramids without a trusted host. As does the US State Department.

Read this and be careful.

http://americablog.com/2013/06/us-embassy-warns-against-visiting-egypts-pyramids-of-giza.html:eek:

It's a real shame. Both my wife and I have been to Egypt, during less volatile times.

As stunning and awesome those old sights in Egypt are- I was there, have seen it, done it, NEVER ever in my live I have a desire to go back. Those vendors- the lack of security one feels just unsave there. I suppose this will continue until the fix the political problems!

In Giza (where the pyramids are), there was a horrific murder in broad daylight yesterday. It was a clash between Sunni and Shia, but violence is on the rise.

Then I just read this, dated June 1. The Provost of the American University in Cairo sternly recommends not touring the pyramids without a trusted host. As does the US State Department.

Read this and be careful.

http://americablog.com/2013/06/us-embassy-warns-against-visiting-egypts-pyramids-of-giza.html:eek:

It's a real shame. Both my wife and I have been to Egypt, during less volatile times.

Hi guys

Just back from a wonderful cruise in the Med on the Equinox and met a few great people. Was a tad worried about strikes and the petty problems of street theft in Barcelona, but it was one of the best cruises we have ever had.

Love to cruise to Egypt but there is no way these days IMHO....

Sad. :(

edit

We booked a B2B Sky suite on our next cruise in January. Joni can't wait! That Century cruise we all did spoiled us!

Not sure this gets some much reaction. There is murders everyday in broad day light all over North America. Lets not throw stones.

Seriously?? No one was throwing stones... the OP was raising awareness. It's a legitimate post, and there's no need to compare crime in the rest of the world. :(

thanks for the heads up.

I always heed the warnings on the official government travel site (I am sure the Us would have one as well) and always think twice about putting yourself into a dangerous area of relatively safe region/country/city (they do exist in every city). Being aware is only part of the solution of course (accidents and crimes can happen anywhere) but it can mean the difference between life and death or serious injury.:D

Hi guys

Just back from a wonderful cruise in the Med on the Equinox and met a few great people. Was a tad worried about strikes and the petty problems of street theft in Barcelona, but it was one of the best cruises we have ever had.

edit

We booked a B2B Sky suite on our next cruise in January. Joni can't wait! That Century cruise we all did spoiled us!

It really is a shame. I have a good friend that is a world traveler. He was a marine and not much unnerves him. He took a cruise to Eqypt and said " never again."

His tour bus had men with machine guns for their protection along with armed drivers both in front and back of his bus. He told me if I want see Egypt, watch You Tube videos or look at photos on line.

It has always been on my list 'to do' for as long as I can remember. Shame that it seems I've missed the opportunity, as I don't feel I could book a cruise there now, as I honestly think I'd be nervous about leaving the ship and doing the tours.

Our best friends had been a few year ago, I suppose I'll just have to get them to show me their holiday video again :)

Lou

Seriously?? No one was throwing stones... the OP was raising awareness. It's a legitimate post, and there's no need to compare crime in the rest of the world. :(

True. So very true.

So in the spirit of fairness..maybe we should post travel advisories about some of the other hotspots in the world....

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/safety-and-security

:rolleyes:

The problem is that trouble can come in many guises and at any time in every those countries we consider safe.......

We'd love to see Israel which is often on same itin but have not felt comfortable going to that area of the world...

Very happy we got to see Ephesus Turkey a few yrs ago...so no need to go there right now either...same with most of Mexico!

it's a shame but safety & being comfortable comes first!!

I'm so glad we toured Egypt years ago--it was a wonderful experience that I would love to repeat, but won't be doing now. I feel sad for the people of Egypt, who were so welcoming and friendly.

On the same trip we also went to Israel, and again had a great experience. I would feel safer there than Egypt, for now.

It really is a shame. I have a good friend that is a world traveler. He was a marine and not much unnerves him. He took a cruise to Eqypt and said " never again."

His tour bus had men with machine guns for their protection along with armed drivers both in front and back of his bus. He told me if I want see Egypt, watch You Tube videos or look at photos on line.

I have to agree. Went to Egypt on RCI four years ago (much less turbulent times), but still had armed guards on our bus. Been there, done that....don't need to go ever again.

I went to Cairo in March 1994, just a few days after an American tourist was killed in front of the archeology museum. We had machine toting guards with our bus. We did go out to the Pyramids and I'll admit to feeling a bit unnerved when I got separated from the group but with the exception of that incident, I felt safe. Because of the killing, everyone was on high alert. I am glad I went, and would like to return to do a Nile cruise and Jordan, but am definitely waiting.

Of course, things could get much worse instead of better . . .

Have to say I was a bit shocked when a few years ago I went through the Panama Canal from San Fransisco, armed guards outside stores in Mexico and even a machine gun post at the top of a raft excursion in Hatalco. But then there were parts of San Fransisco that felt very unsafe...as there are London and the UK.

I think it's important to remember that cruise lines avoid dangerous stops, and if in doubt stick to organised tours which cover areas governments are desperate to safeguard. Love it when hysteria strikes though as means I can great last minute deals lol.

Have to say I was a bit shocked when a few years ago I went through the Panama Canal from San Fransisco, armed guards outside stores in Mexico and even a machine gun post at the top of a raft excursion in Hatalco. But then there were parts of San Fransisco that felt very unsafe...as there are London and the UK.

I think it's important to remember that cruise lines avoid dangerous stops, and if in doubt stick to organised tours which cover areas governments are desperate to safeguard. Love it when hysteria strikes though as means I can great last minute deals lol.

We all know that there are places in American, British and other cities that are not safe even during the daylight hours, but there is a difference between going in a crime ridden area in the USA than to a country like Egypt that is run by borderline terrorists.

A leader of a terrorist group responsible for the murder of many tourists at the Tomb of Queen Hatchetsep near Luxor was appointed Mayor of Luxor recently.

http://now.msn.com/luxor-governor-adel-mohamed-al-khayat-is-former-terrorist

http://townhall.com/news/world/2013/06/23/insight-exqaeda-allies-ready-to-fight-for-mursi-in-luxor-n1625303

There are so many places to see around the world. I think seeing all the wonderful places that are safer is a much better idea than putting yourself in harms way.

When I have run out of safe places, I can then evaluate whether or not to visit egypt and the like or revisiting the wonderful places that are safe or just cease travelling.:D

Hi guys

edit

We did the Equinox a couple years ago. Great ship. Sounds like you are getting a lot of free time to cruise. Good for you two! For us, it is 2 1-week long cruises a year, maximum. We are giving Oceania a go next week. Century is getting refurbished next year (wahoo) Say hi to Joni. - Curt (& Gail)

You just have to use caution. What I would do is go relatively incognito with a private driver, no big group that broadcasts "many Americans".

I went in the early 90's and hired a private driver. This was right after some very well publicized tourist bombings. The driver was able to keep the idiots away. I felt safer, but not completely safe.

Just be aware. This week, apparently there are major demonstrations and Morsi has called in the military. Not a good time to visit.

We did The Egypt tour in December 2012 and I agree "never again."

Archived