Inside to Family Veranda

ricethief

I'm considering upgrading to a family veranda on my 14th December cruise on the Millennium but as I've never been on a cruise I don't have anything to compare it to, I'm wondering if its a worthwhile upgrade, it's an additional $1500.

What I've narrowed it down to is the pro's are the interior space is much larger, we are a family of 2 adults and 1 six year old, as well as the benefits of having a veranda.

The con's would be I would have to sacrifice the overnight in Bangkok, which isn't too big a deal for me though my wife has been there, she said she doesn't mind not going to Bangkok (though doesn't mind could mean two things in women talk), as well as not going to try the specialty restaurants to make up the difference.

I'm not sure whether the pro's outweigh the con's and am looking for advice, thank you.

Absolutely no comparison between the 2...a family veranda has so much more space and comfort. Not to mention the awesome view from the aft of the ship. In a heartbeat, I would change...since the 1500 is the deciding factor, you have to go with your comfort level. If this is your first cruise, you will be spoiled forever with a family veranda.

Take a regular verandah that sleeps 3.

If you take a FV on this cruise and one isn't available on your next cruise, you'll always be missing the extra space. And they are fairly rare and difficult to get. So see how you do in a regular verandah, pay less, use the money for something else you want to do. That's a lot of money.

Take a regular verandah that sleeps 3.

If you take a FV on this cruise and one isn't available on your next cruise, you'll always be missing the extra space. And they are fairly rare and difficult to get. So see how you do in a regular verandah, pay less, use the money for something else you want to do. That's a lot of money.

My thoughts exactly

However if there is not much price difference between the standard veranda cabin and FV, I would jump on getting the FV.

Because you would not be able to book this cabin normally if you have under five in the cabin, but some might become available just before or after final payment and then they go fast!

misha1 - its not so much that the 1500 is the deciding factor, its more i have to choose the extra space over the port and dinner experience, its more a question which one is the better substitute.

westlake/suekay - Ironically the FV is cheaper than the normal veranda with the travel agent I am using.

We booked inside ONE time since 1987, never say never, but never again. If the Family has dropped to the range of a reg balcony, IMHO, book it. Now, you best be made aware that your family vacations will be forever changed when you do this!:)

Fv all the time. We have a 4 yr old and having done the aft fv's not sure how we will cope an anything else- well other than the penthouse suite and that would require a significant lottery win!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

misha1 - its not so much that the 1500 is the deciding factor, its more i have to choose the extra space over the port and dinner experience, its more a question which one is the better substitute.

westlake/suekay - Ironically the FV is cheaper than the normal veranda with the travel agent I am using.

As the poster above you noted, have you checked to see if this cabin is available to parties less than 5? Generally they are not available this far out.

Thanks everyone for the reply, the stateroom was available but by the time my travel agent went to make the change they were sold. Typical travel agent, only good for entering data to earn their commissions, next time I will just book directly to save waiting for idiots to do the work for me.

Available for 3? This far out? Seems improbable. I'm guessing that it never was available for 3, it might have shown on inventory as not yet booked. But wouldn't have been available for a party of fewer than 5

Perhaps, all I know was there was firstly one available to book on the Celebrity site, then a second one popped up a few hours later. Out if interest then, if completed the booking would Celebrity just have cancelled the booking?

Typical travel agent, only good for entering data to earn their commissions, next time I will just book directly to save waiting for idiots to do the work for me.

I think this is a little harsh. How much lead time did you give the TA. Like was said before, less than 5 people this far out ???????

Perhaps, all I know was there was firstly one available to book on the Celebrity site, then a second one popped up a few hours later. Out if interest then, if completed the booking would Celebrity just have cancelled the booking?

If they show up on the website, you can book them. I booked one with just 2 people 4 months out. I'm sure someone else saw them and snatched them up straight away.

To the OP: if that ever happens again, you can go in to the Celebrity site and put a 24 hour courtesy hold on a special cabin; when you reach your agent, you release it as you are on the phone and they claim it. I've done this several times.

As the poster above you noted, have you checked to see if this cabin is available to parties less than 5? Generally they are not available this far out.

Available for 3? This far out? Seems improbable. I'm guessing that it never was available for 3, it might have shown on inventory as not yet booked. But wouldn't have been available for a party of fewer than 5

Celebrity initially reserves these cabins for families of 5 and they do this by keeping them off the online website inventory so the only way you will see these is if you call them directly or through a TA.

But if the cabins are unsold to families of 5 they regularly sell them to smaller groups including groups of 2 and even single cruisers. The timing of when this is done varies a lot on the itinerary and time of year. Sometimes the unsold FV cabins are released many months in advance, before final payment, and sometimes not until after final payment. The bottom line is that Celebrity is not going to let these cabins go unsold just because a large family hasn't booked them.

Once they release the cabins for general booking by a party of any size then they'll show up on Celebrity's site. If they do then grab them right away as Happy Cruiser 6143 says. You can always put them on a 48 hour hold with no deposit (at least in the USA) while you work out the details.

I also have heard of situations where they've allowed them to booked by families of fewer than 5 in advance of them being released for general booking. I'm guessing this depends on the itinerary and time of year and possibly to the abilities of a travel agent to get it done.

For future reference, if a FOV or a corner FOV becomes available on an M class ship, you must grab it immediately. No time to debate or discuss it on Cruise Critic. Just grab it. They are FABULOUS cabins! And very few of them.

Having read similar advice in other threads, when FVs became available several weeks ago for our TA on the Infinity in October (in other words, more than 4 months out, and well before final payment), I did just that -- I jumped on a corner! And it was only because of all the great info here on CC that I even knew what an FV was, and also thanks to someone on our Roll Call who had just noticed that they were available. They were gone very quickly.

Once again, this shows just how valuable CC is, and I mean that very seriously.

Hi Ricethief-- one other point for you. With Celebrity, you can book first directly with Celebrity either by phone or online-- secure your cabin and any other goodies they offer you and then you have 60 days to transfer to any TA and get any goodies they offer you. That way, you have the best of both worlds.

also, be aware that on the X website, they only show a few cabins available in each category rather than the entire inventory. To find out all the available cabins you can check some of the websites of mass market TA websites(sorry can't mention names her on CC) and they usually list all available cabins.

As far as your "dilemma"-- IMHO you will be miserable in an inside. They are small and confined. Would you like to spend 2 weeks in your closet? Also, the balcony allows you to stay in your cabin to see the sights as the ship pulls into port--you don't have to run up to an outside space and jockey with other cruisers to see. That is critical since you will have a young child who perhaps is napping just when some never to be missed sight comes into view!!!!

The specialty restaurants can easily be missed-- honestly they are no better than a top restaurant where you live.

As far as the overnight in Bangkok, is that the departure port? If yes, you absolutely must arrive at least a day in advance for the following reasons: to make sure you arrive in time (no delays or missed connections); your luggage arrives in time: you can rest up; you can adjust to the time change. Most seasoned cruisers plan to arrive at least 1 or 2 days early when the port is so far from home. Even when close to home, it can be an issue--weather, breakdowns etc. One way to save money is to use credit card points for the hotel cost. I have American Express Hilton honors which is free and have stayed at the top Hiltons in the world for free. You still have time to acquire one and use it for all your daily purchases and you'll get enough points for a free room. Other options are CapitalOne cards-- get the free ones---you'll need one anyway to save the foreign transaction fee all other credit cards, except Discover, charge for international purchases. (usually 2-4%) (Discover is still not widely accepted abroad)

Go for the balcony, cut a few expenses from your budget now and you won't regret it!!!! Also, keep watching for price drops.

One last thought-- check to see the prices of the concierge cabins. On the Millie they are a little larger than standard balcony. If it's a large price difference, it's not worth it but if the difference is not too great you might enjoy the extra space and perks.

Remember, you can change cabins whenever a better one opens up and until final payment, get the benefit of any price drops.

GOOD LUCK

...IMHO you will be miserable in an inside. They are small and confined. ...

I'm going to point out that your comments are not true for all. Personally, we don't care much for insides and haven't had one since our first cruise. But we know many other cruisers who have no problem with an inside and actually prefer them. A common plus to them is that some like sleeping in the darkness and this might make it easier to get a small child to sleep - although Mom and Dad would be left in the dark as well.

As to the "worth" of an upgrade: We all have different preferences and different budgets so that "worth" is very relative. I know cruisers who always book a large suite (Royal or Penthouse) and I also know cruisers who believe it is foolish to book anything more expensive than a basic inside cabin. My own advice is to consider your own budget and if moving to a larger more expensive cabin would mean that you'd have to cut back on spending elsewhere in your cruise then stick with the less expensive cabin so that you can afford the excursions, beverage, shore spending, shopping and spa activities you'd like to enjoy. But if the extra cost of the cabin won't impact your finances much and wouldn't change what you'd be able to spend on these other activities then go for the nicer cabin and enjoy yourselves.

...Remember, you can change cabins whenever a better one opens up and until final payment, get the benefit of any price drops.....

This is true for those of us in the USA and certain other countries, provided we don't have one of those bad TA's who charge for every change and don't make changes easily. But in a lot of other countries things can't be changed quite so easily depending on the rules and practices for that country and I see that the original poster, ricethief, is from Brisbane which puts them in Australia unless they're from some other Brisbane.

I think this is a little harsh. How much lead time did you give the TA. Like was said before, less than 5 people this far out ???????

When I originally inquired about the room it was midday and they came back to me an hour later, i asked for the change 1.5 hrs before they closed and was told they will get back to me shortly, the TA must have put it in the I will do it the next day basket or did not realize how fast the FV sells. This fact I only found out through Cruise Critic and was never advise by the TA, nor did they suggest putting a courtesy hold.

I think that's what set me off as I had booked via a TA as they specialize in cruises and because this is my first cruise I thought they would provide valuable advice and service, however the only good advice is what I have gotten from Cruise Critic.

Which does bring me to thank everyone at Cruise Critic for their advice as it really is invaluable.

Lesslie I don't mind tight spaces, if I end up with an inside room I just would have done more excursions, if end up getting a balcony (currently not worth it especially when compared to the FV that was on offer) I would have just spent more time relaxing on the ship.

Either way I will keep an eye on the prices and go from there, at first I was angry the TA dropped the ball but in the end I will still be on a holiday. Once again a big thanks to everyone for the advice.

Turtles06. Having read similar advice in other threads, when FVs became available several weeks ago for our TA on the Infinity in October (in other words, more than 4 months out, and well before final payment), I did just that -- I jumped on a corner! And it was only because of all the great info here on CC that I even knew what an FV was, and also thanks to someone on our Roll Call who had just noticed that they were available. They were gone very quickly.[/Quote]

This is true for those of us in the USA and certain other countries, provided we don't have one of those bad TA's who charge for every change and don't make changes easily. But in a lot of other countries things can't be changed quite so easily depending on the rules and practices for that country [/Quote]

As Turtles 06 stated, FV became available 1st June, for our TA leaving 24thOctober on Harwich on Infinity.

I rang Celebrity on 5th June and changed from 7099 (balcony) to 7204. Cost to me £250 p.p, as they also allowed me to use Future Cruise vouchers!

I am looking forward to the FV, as it is hubbies 70 birthday celebration.

One query however to anyone who has been on Infinity, is it a proper shower cubicle since she has been Solticized, or still a shower curtain?

...One query however to anyone who has been on Infinity, is it a proper shower cubicle since she has been Solticized, or still a shower curtain?

They did not change the showers in any of the cabins as part of the "Solsticizing" of any of the M class ships. The primary changes to the staterooms were updating of the soft goods (carpeting, upholstery, etc) and installation of newer flat screen TV's on ships that didn't have them. Other than the addition of verandas on the Celebrity suites, I don't believe there were any construction type changes or additions to the structure or fixtures in any existing cabins.

Archived